Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,627 members, 7,820,215 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:34 AM

Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? (31327 Views)

How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? / Women Wearing Trousers: Conversation With A Brother / Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Dec 16, 2009
@stllwater

You were one of the people to go on about moderation. What do you understand by it?
Some things may not be sinful in of themselves but Christians may be expected to simply abstain from them.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Dec 16, 2009
tensor777:

@stllwater

You were one of the people to go on about moderation. What do you understand by it?
Some things may not be sinful in of themselves but Christians may be exected to simply abstain from them.

I think I made myself clear then.  Why is it expected of us to abstain from them if it's not sinful?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by JeSoul(f): 3:44pm On Dec 16, 2009
noetic15:

grin in your dreams.

P.S. I am the most handsome guy u would ever set your eyez on
  I demand pictoral evidence of this claim at once! or forever hold your peace  grin A man of God cannot make such claims and go scott free  cheesy

Image123:

JeSoul, why you put my name for the mix now? If so, kindly do your research on what plaiting and braiding was like in Bible days. Please get back on that. This is getting interesting.
My brother, I will answer your question as you as you answer the one I first asked you:
JeSoul:

1 Tim 2: I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes.

If you took this scripture at face value only that means women should not braid their hair or wear expensive clothes or gold or jewelry at all. Is that your position? Image, Tensor and Kwe? please clarify. Because I am about to demand you never buy anything of value for your wives, allow them to braid their hair and you must all shave your heads according to 1 Cor 11.

What was Paul's motivation for writing 1 Tim 2? was it to ban women from wearing make-up and braids and jewelry? or was it to curb the prevalent practice of corinthian women dressing seductively and putting heavy emphasis on their looks instead of their hearts and deeds? Scripture is more than just black and white people, and its not about twisting or modifying to fit the times, not at all.
Ditto to Tensor.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 16, 2009
Is it that make-up puts you men to sin or what, that's why you're on and about this topic?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Dec 16, 2009
stillwater:

I think I made myself clear then. Why is it expected of us to abstain from them if it's not sinful?

Why? Because of the adversary the devil who moves about seeking whom to destroy, That is why Christians are called upon to abstain from certain things.
At the end of the day it is up to the person involved to be obedient to the promptings of the inner voice.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by JeSoul(f): 3:54pm On Dec 16, 2009
mavenbox:

@tensor777: What about clothes? Since she is wonderfully made, why not wrap herself in a single sheet or wear the animal fur God made for them in Genesis 3? On the other hand, i need you to tell me if Queen Esther used make-up?

You beat me to it girl. I was just about to enter Queen Esther as Exhibit A.

-Queen Esther, a woman of incredible virtue, faith and grace, used mightily by God to save an entire nation.
-Queen Esther was also a seasoned, veteran beauty queen. Infact her beauty regime alone took years before she went before the king. Es 2:  Before a girl's turn came to go in to King Xerxes, she had to complete twelve months of beauty treatments prescribed for the women, six months with oil of myrrh and six with perfumes and cosmetics.

My oh my! see the above. Esther consumed with such vanity, daring to participate in such when she's already fearfully and beautifully made, what a sinful woman she was.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Dec 16, 2009
tensor777:

Why? Because of the adversary the devil who moves about seeking whom to destroy, That is why Christians are called upon to abstain from certain things.
At the end of the day it is up to the person involved to be obedient to the promptings of the inner voice.

The devil can use anything to destroy any person. Why the fixation on make-up is beyond me? Wait first, are women with make-up so attractive?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 16, 2009
Well they can exude an aura, which could make them enticing, intimidating, or even downright scary to a man. It all depends on the guy's perception and temperament.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Dec 16, 2009
tensor777:

Well they can exude an aura, which could make them enticing, intimidating, or even downright scary to a man. It all depends on the guy's perception and temperament.

Roflmao!!!! What's yours? Intimidation? Enticement? Or downright scary? tongue
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by mavenbox: 4:23pm On Dec 16, 2009
grin Way to go, JeSoul! Lol. Let Noetic provide proof or retract his statement! Hehehe

Tensor, answer me &Jesoul about Esther now, haba! You know, anything at all in the physical can be a tool to lead one into sin, even excess food or spending a lot of time online! Some things are not downright sins, its the motive and the extent that counts before God to whom nothing is hidden.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Image123(m): 4:27pm On Dec 16, 2009
Ah JeSoul,
So it's first come first serve basis?ok. I'm not taking that scripture at face value. I am taking it at its value, without taking away from the Word or overspiritualising the text to favor anyone. It says and I agree 'women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with SHAMEFACEDNESS and Sobriety; NOT WITH broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array.
Now hope you do the assignment on what broided hair looked like in them days.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by JeSoul(f): 6:22pm On Dec 16, 2009
Image123:

Ah JeSoul,
So it's first come first serve basis?ok. I'm not taking that scripture at face value. I am taking it at its value, without taking away from the Word or overspiritualising the text to favor anyone. It says and I agree 'women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with SHAMEFACEDNESS and Sobriety; NOT WITH broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array.
Now hope you do the assignment on what broided hair looked like in them days.
You didn't answer my question but simply re-quoted 1 Tim. Don't worry I will answer your question in a minute.

Can women braid their hair, wear expensive clothes, gold and pearls or not? A yes or no will more than suffice. This is what 1 Tim says ain't it? Gracias  smiley.

And btw feel free to comment on Beauty Gorgeous Queen Esther. Tensor what say ye as well?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by JeSoul(f): 6:27pm On Dec 16, 2009
mavenbox:

grin Way to go, JeSoul! Lol. Let Noetic provide proof or retract his statement! Hehehe
grin NOETIC WHERE ARE YOU?!!! grin Noetic put up or submit your apology asap.

Tensor, answer me &Jesoul about Esther now, haba! You know, anything at all in the physical can be a tool to lead one into sin, even excess food or spending a lot of time online! Some things are not downright sins, its the motive and the extent that counts before God to whom nothing is hidden.
Oh how simple our faith can be apart from being re-enslaved to rules and regulations that "have an appearance of spirituality but infact lack true value in restraining the sensual" (Col 2:21)
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Dec 16, 2009
tensor777:

You don't need to get into strawman arguments which in itself is a sign of weakness. What does the beauty of a Christian woman have to do with make-up, when the bible says she is fearfully and wonderfully made??

True . . . but the same bible has lots of examples of women with make up. Did they forget that verse?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Ndipe(m): 8:11pm On Dec 16, 2009
davidylan:

True . . . but the same bible has lots of examples of women with make up. Did they forget that verse?

That was Old Testament, what does it say in NT?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by JeSoul(f): 8:15pm On Dec 16, 2009
Ndipe:

That was Old Testament, what does it say in NT?
  I thought God was the same yesterday, today and tomorrow?

If He was okay with it then, why would He change His mind now?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by AKO1(m): 9:31pm On Dec 16, 2009
1 Tim 2: I also want women to dress modestly, with [b]decency [/b]and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes.

'Modesty', 'decency', etc are constructed, subjective and culture-specific terms.
We should think about that before attempting to legislate what women everywhere can or cannot wear.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 16, 2009
Well that could just about mean anything. It is an instruction in the bible that women should appear modestly. I am sure in the Nigerian context there should be no confusion as to what modest dressing entails.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Dec 16, 2009
tensor777:

Well that could just about mean anything. It is an instruction in the bible that women should appear modestly. I am sure in the Nigerian context there should be no confusion as to what modest dressing entails.

What does this mean?

What of those who think wearing shoes is too extravagant?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by platinumnk(f): 9:54pm On Dec 16, 2009
@topic- as long as it is not distracting and not being used for the wrong reasons (making men lust)

Then its ok.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 16, 2009
@ Topic

In moderation it's not so bad, I agree with you plat
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 16, 2009
platinumnk:

@topic- as long as it is not distracting and not being used for the wrong reasons (making men lust)

Then its ok.

but isnt that the idea?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by platinumnk(f): 10:07pm On Dec 16, 2009
davidylan:

but isnt that the idea?

not really, theres a BIG difference between looking clean and pretty than a standout harlot.

Like I get nails done, clean and clear polish, i wear a cross as a necklace and modest sized earrings.
Sometimes when I wear color ( i usually wear black) I add a splash of color to my eye lids

It makes my happy and I know I did it for myself not to attract.

Some girls just like the differnt looks, I sometimes play with my makeup at night, and wash it off before going to bed. was that also to attact men?

You men give too much credit to yourselves cheesy

Adrenaline:

@ Topic

In moderation it's not so bad, I agree with you plat

thanks babe
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Dec 16, 2009
platinumnk:

not really, theres a BIG difference between looking clean and pretty than a standout harlot.

Like I get nails done, clean and clear polish, i wear a cross as a necklace and modest sized earrings.
Sometimes when I wear color ( i usually wear black) I add a splash of color to my eye lids

It makes my happy and I know I did it for myself not to attract.

Some girls just like the differnt looks, I sometimes play with my makeup at night, and wash it off before going to bed. was that also to attact men?

You men give too much credit to yourselves cheesy

Like we dont deserve it? grin
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by platinumnk(f): 10:19pm On Dec 16, 2009
davidylan:

Like we dont deserve it? grin

Some do, but the ratio to those who dont is awful!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Dec 16, 2009
There are many reasons a Christian woman could have or give for wearing make-up. But it does have the effect of altering her appearance and hence of people's image of her.
Suppose in this instance it does cause others to sin. She can possibly claim ignorance of the effects. Is that an excuse, when the bible says
my people perish for lack of knowledge??

That is why some churches recommend abstinence.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by platinumnk(f): 10:49pm On Dec 16, 2009
^^ All Churches should encourage Absintence
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Dec 16, 2009
Do some churches encourage pre-marital sex??
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by biina: 12:04am On Dec 17, 2009
In all that you do, focus should be on the motive and effect of your actions, and less on the actions themselves. God is primarily concerned with your soul and not with your flesh (which cannot be saved). A christian should always strife for supremacy of the soul over the flesh.
Makeup and jewelery existed in most cultures, even if they were not  necessarily same as we know them today, thus to say people of old did not use makeup is misinformation. Your reasons for wearing makeup, and its effect on you (and others), will point out if the act was sinful or not. If you wear makeup to satisfy your vanity or to seduce another, then there is a problem with where your heart lies.
Do not get me wrong, as it is good to look presentable. Joseph cleaned up himself when appearing before Pharoah, likewise Esther did same before going to the King. Even the ark and temple of the lord were decorated and made beautiful.
Moderation is good as a cautionary flag, because rarely does good ever comes out of being excessive in any thing of the world. Yet I would advise to look beyond that and always ask the questions: why am I doing it, and what have I gained from it.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by noetic15(m): 12:24am On Dec 17, 2009
stillwater:

Oh yeah? Really? Is that so? shocked Do you wear make-up? cheesy

lol grin I dont do make-ups. . . . . .just the natural one God gave me.

JeSoul:

I demand pictoral evidence of this claim at once! or forever hold your peace  grin A man of God cannot make such claims and go scott free  cheesy
mavenbox:

JeSoul:

grin NOETIC WHERE ARE YOU?!!! grin Noetic put up or submit your apology asap.

grin grin grin pictures dont tell the true story. . .seeing is believing. grin
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by noetic15(m): 12:26am On Dec 17, 2009
those making make-up a big deal, should watch it. . . . .it is mundane issues like this that makes people miss God.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Moyola(f): 12:31am On Dec 17, 2009
What does it mean to be Born Again?

Wasn't Jezebel the only woman said to have used make-up n all. . .?

Well. . . as stated above, there's nothing alarming if it's worn in moderation. . . .not d'em 'ojuju' stlye tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Some Born-again Ladies Are Finding Difficulties To Get Married / Biodun Fatoyinbo To Spend Night In Police Custody Over Rape Allegation / Man Says He’s Been To Heaven Four Times, Draws Map

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.