Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,721 members, 7,813,377 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:31 AM

Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? (31306 Views)

How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? / Women Wearing Trousers: Conversation With A Brother / Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Ndipe(m): 3:46am On Nov 26, 2007
In Nigeria, they were some women who were forbidden by their pastors from applying nail polish, or wearing makeup on their face. An arguement as such surfaced in high school when one of my mates in support of this ban, inquired why a woman, would deface her nails with nail polish. His view was that it was just plain wrong. So, when I came to America I broached this question to some baptist girls at my former job. They told me that there was nothing wrong with wearing make-up.

What do you think?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by ikamefa(f): 4:04am On Nov 26, 2007
what is wrong in wearing make-up to church? undecided

in my opinion Christianity is a relationship btwn an individual and his God.

our God looks at our minds and spirits oh

its not when you roll around in church ,jumping up and down that will make you the most righteous or worthy person

or come to church looking like what the cat just dragged in grin

i don't see anything wrong in wearing make-up to church smiley

i attend one of these pentecostal churches here and

on days when i feel like glamming up i do it, i nor send persin cool
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by pilgrim1(f): 4:11am On Nov 26, 2007
Well, it all depends on what we mean by "make-up". So many people use them without realizing that they do.

However, I think the basic thing is that we observe "moderation" or modicum in our dressing - whether as men or women (1 Tim. 2:9). wink

1 Like

Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 4:22am On Nov 26, 2007
Ndipe:

In Nigeria, they were some women who were forbidden by their pastors from applying nail polish, or wearing makeup on their face. An arguement as such surfaced in high school when one of my mates in support of this ban, inquired why a woman, would deface her nails with nail polish. His view was that it was just plain wrong. So, when I came to America I broached this question to some baptist girls at my former job. They told me that there was nothing wrong with wearing make-up.

What do you think?

I gave my life to Christ on campus in Nigeria.
I shall not speak of the persecution I and several sisters went through with Christian union regarding permed hair and make up.
Some girls who couldn't handle it but with a desire to serve God went to the "funkier" fellowships that even prayed with no scarves kpa kpa.
The worldly fellowships as some called them.

Everyone has to be sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit.
God can ask us to give up things that are not necessarily sinful.
The Bible says our adorning should not be outward,it did not condemn adornments but said,our inner beauty was a lot more important

This was talking to wives but is is helpful here too
1Pe 3:3   Do not let your adornment be merely outward--arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel--

1Pe 3:4   rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.

1Pe 3:5   For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves,
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Kobojunkie: 4:20pm On Nov 26, 2007
I believe there is nothing wrong with wearing makeup and please I stress moderation is not a bad idea if you chose to.( I have seen to many women who overdo it).
I also believe that if a person wants to sacrifice wearing of makeup for God, that is fine too. It says somewhere in the Bible that what is sin to one may not be sin to another and we have to understand this on both sides. If a christian approaches you, telling you that you are damned for your permed hair and you yourself knowing it is not sin to you, should please understand that to the other it is sin and even though he/she is doing wrong in approaching you in that manner, does not mean you should really be bothered by it but make the other person understand that it is ok for him or her to choose not to and ask that the person allow you your choice.

I respect people who are willing to give up one thing or another for God and I understand that sometimes makes them critical of others. My mum used to be that way but I had to learn to accept her as she is and today, she is no more that way, even though her relationship with God is even stronger.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by dot2002(m): 2:38pm On Nov 27, 2007
Even somewhere in the Holy bible some lady use fine expensive oil on Jesus, now that is what i call a massage

1 Like

Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by luv2talk(m): 3:08pm On Nov 27, 2007
ikamefa:

what is wrong in wearing make-up to church? undecided

in my opinion Christianity is a relationship btwn an individual and his God.

our God looks at our minds and spirits oh

its not when you roll around in church ,jumping up and down that will make you the most righteous or worthy person

or come to church looking like what the cat just dragged in grin

i don't see anything wrong in wearing make-up to church smiley

i attend one of these pentecostal churches here and

on days when i feel like glamming up i do it, i nor send persin cool
LOL, A time is comming when christians will go to church naked,all in the name of serving God,At least,od sees your heart and Mind and your spirit , LOL, what a primitive coment hahahahahahaha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by luv2talk(m): 3:11pm On Nov 27, 2007
A friend told me yesterday that a lady was raped in Tuface survival Party due to indecent dressing,i wont be suprise if this happen in churches in Future.Well, time will Tell, hahahahahaha, i cant laugh oooooo grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by gosky(m): 3:34pm On Nov 27, 2007
Moderation;Sensitivity to personal dealings by God are necessary,
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 2:39am On Nov 28, 2007
luv2talk:

A friend told me yesterday that a lady was raped in Tuface survival Party due to indecent dressing,i wont be suprise if this happen in churches in Future.Well, time will Tell, hahahahahaha, i can't laugh oooooo grin grin grin grin grin grin

Ok carry your slate and find your mallam.
see how far your perverted mind can go
Try it and see if people won't chop you and your dan yekini to pieces
anu ofia

adjusts glasses
back to topic
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by ikamefa(f): 11:20pm On Nov 28, 2007
luv2talk:

LOL, A time is comming when christians will go to church naked,all in the name of serving God,At least,od sees your heart and Mind and your spirit , LOL, what a primitive coment hahahahahahaha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

luv2talk:

A friend told me yesterday that a lady was raped in Tuface survival Party due to indecent dressing,i wont be suprise if this happen in churches in Future.Well, time will Tell, hahahahahaha, i can't laugh oooooo grin grin grin grin grin grin

i no know sey my posts dey give persin boners like this my able -bodied stalker hoping to see your post and new id on thisthread

*yawning*

Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Ivvie: 7:03am On Dec 16, 2007
No, it isn't biblical.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by ow11(m): 8:23pm On Dec 16, 2007
The Bible has some rules about make up

1. Use only white powder. any other colour or type of facial cream is a SIN and thou shalt burn in Hell.

2. The only hair attachment allowed is Thread made in Nigeria, Using any other thing to weave thy hair is a SIN because it is makes you look prettier and thus commit a SIN.

3. Pleated A-cut skirts must be worn at all times. trousers were made by God for men only!

4.Your nails should be unpolished.The varnish makes you SIN

These rules should be somewhere in the bible. search and you'll find them grin
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Dec 21, 2007
have no comment lipsrsealed
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Bobbyaf(m): 4:37pm On Dec 22, 2007
I have always wondered what has become of those who profess a conversion. I didn't realize that becomng a christian meant still holding on to worldly things and customs.

So when Jesus said in order to follow Him one had to deny self, and take up the cross, what did he mean? There is no fooling oneself. Born again christians should free themselves of worldy things. Dress and live simply, and avoid waste. All that money spent on such stuff should be used to further God's cause, instead of self.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by ow11(m): 1:17pm On Dec 23, 2007
Bobbyaf:

There is no fooling oneself. Born again christians should free themselves of worldy things. Dress and live simply, and avoid waste.

what is 'live simply'? what measure would you use to describe simply? is owning a car a waste of money? Is polishing nails waste of money? Is owning a cell phone waste of money? Is eating too much food waste of money?

Look I can go on with questions but the truth is you have no appropriate scale to measure simplicity and extravagance. Hence, rather than make everyone abide by your own rules, leave it to the maker of the rules to decide who is over the limit of simplicity!
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Bobbyaf(m): 5:58am On Dec 24, 2007
what is 'live simply'? what measure would you use to describe simply? is owning a car a waste of money? Is polishing nails waste of money? Is owning a cell phone waste of money? Is eating too much food waste of money?

For example! Instead of buying a Benz buy a Corolla. Instead of buying an expensive phone buy a Nokia 3500 series phone; Instead of eating foods that will clog your arteries, use foods in their natural state. So instead of buying expensive clothing and jewelry in order to impress, dress moderately but tastefully. There are in-expensive clothing that still look great.

Look I can go on with questions but the truth is you have no appropriate scale to measure simplicity and extravagance. Hence, rather than make everyone abide by your own rules, leave it to the maker of the rules to decide who is over the limit of simplicity!

Is the bible's scale good enough for you? Read:

1 John 2:15-17 say, 15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by iretinhope: 6:24am On Dec 24, 2007
I agree with the person that talked about moderation. I disagree with the person that equate the cross we were asked to bare to such trivial as  makeup. I am sure this is not what Jesus is talking about, but I am sure there are things to a christian life that are way more important than what the person look like. Have you guys read Solomon's song? Did you guys read the vivid way he described the maiden? I think you guys should try. I am sure I am not marrying me some bland looking christian lady even if she turns out to be Mother Teressa incarnated.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Kobojunkie: 6:34am On Dec 24, 2007
Bobbyaf:

For example! Instead of buying a Benz buy a Corolla. Instead of buying an expensive phone buy a Nokia 3500 series phone; Instead of eating foods that will clog your arteries, use foods in their natural state. So instead of buying expensive clothing and jewelry in order to impress, dress moderately but tastefully. There are in-expensive clothing that still look great.

1 John 2:15-17 say, 15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

Do you mind go repeat all this to Jesus who told those who squirmed when the woman came to wash his feet with expensive perfume to be still? Please try to read and understand what is written in the Bible and apply it well. No where are you told that if you buy a corolla instead of the benz which you can afford, the world will be a better place. There are lots of naturally occuring foods that clog up your arteries. God is not here to serve just the poor, remember, all good things, including benz and expensive phones also come from God. Please stop making him out to be God of just the poor. It is possible to dress in expensive attire and still be moderate. What has the cost of the cloth to do with moderation?? And where in the world did you get the idea that buying expensive equates to love of the world??
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by janami(f): 7:00am On Dec 24, 2007
kobojunkie and ikamefa, u guys are very right. nuttin to add to ur posts.
@poster
the only thing i ve against make up is d way some pple abuse it. nuttin more. and dt sef is their own business
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by janami(f): 7:06am On Dec 24, 2007
@bobbyaf
na wa o. so u want to tell me dt even if u have the money to buy a good car, u will go for daku daji motor. It is well o.Dnt forget that we are called heirs to the kingdom, therefore automatically, we are kings and priests or queens sef, God does not intend for his children to suffer. dnt read another thing to wot d bible says. u can enjoy good things like a good car, but don't worship it, abi?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by iretinhope: 7:15am On Dec 24, 2007
I just joined this forum, and I read the stupid rules. My comment on this rules is that this site is run by some admin from the abyss of hell. His stupid ban on topics on sex postage in romance section is stupid as stupid can be. This goes to show you why nigeria will always be ruled by stupid, only-me-know, crazy, free speech nazi, dictators. And judging from the respond of the people on this site, gosh, Nigerians, we have a long way to go. I can't believe some ppl condone the crap coming from this idiot admin. He even wrote in his rules that nobody should pissed him off. Yeah, maybe we can go tell american express that all the worthy people that would want to do business with them left your stupid nairaland because you are a goddamn dictator and a free speech Nazi.

1 Like

Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by wendymanda: 7:23am On Dec 24, 2007
I just joined this forum, and I read the stupid rules. My comment on this rules is that this site is run by some admin from the abyss of hell. His stupid ban on topics on sex postage in romance section is stupid as stupid can be. This goes to show you why nigeria will always be ruled by stupid, only-me-know, crazy, free speech nazi, dictators. And judging from the respond of the people on this site, gosh, Nigerians, we have a long way to go. I can't believe some people condone the crap coming from this idiot admin. He even wrote in his rules that nobody should pissed him off. Yeah, maybe we can go tell american express that all the worthy people that would want to do business with them left your stupid nairaland because you are a goddamn dictator and a free speech Nazi.

I get the feeling that you were banned.

@ post I don't think God had anything with/against makeup. Many Christians all over the world have no problem with makeup only some African christians. The ones that think no one can beat then on (being devout) devotion. Its similar to the rule that school girls should cut their hair. There is no strong argument on it. I honestly don't think their is anything unholy about say nail polish, lipstick, powder. Their is nothing in the ingredients with which they were made that should offend God.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by lafile(m): 8:06am On Dec 24, 2007
@Bobbyaf
Why don't we extend your logic on benz and Corrolla a little further. Instead of buying a Corolla why not get a Kia Picanto. Its Cheaper. Or Why not a motorbike. Its cheaper and you can still move around. Or a bicycle. Why not just walk.

1 Like

Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Dec 27, 2007
Bobbyaf:

Television in the earlier days of its advent was seen as a medium of witchcraft by the church. Deeper life church viewed/views television as a worldly good. However television is used to preach the gospel nowadays. The Bible says my people perish for lack of knowledge. In that verse God says my people not the world or unbelievers. I've come to understand that it's not the truth that sets you free but it's the understanding of the truth that sets you free and how it's being interpreted.

My point is this; it is no crime to be rich. With the kind of thinking you portrayed in your above write up you would be limited to next to nothing. It's this same mentality our christian parents used in not securing positions they were overqualified for. In this age of technology where internet access is a priority, owning a nokia 3500 with no web attachment and other necessary commands is virtually unseriousness on your part especially when you work in a "big" company. It's only if you are in a low paying job and you have no wish of succeeding in life you should continue to use a nokia 3500. Don't get me wrong we were not meant to worship these goods but for them to make life easier for us. A lot of God giving wisdom and dedication have gone into the production of these goods, they are no play things. Or if you were the one manufacturing these goods with the wisdon God has given you would you tell your christian friends not to buy them because they are worldly, mundane and carnal?

@ poster
Moderation is the key in wearing make up and you don't dress anyhow to church. My church in Nigeria have a lot of unmarried sisters that do not wear make up. Most times when the "brothers" want to get married they go get someone that wears make up and dresses well, talk about who's being fooled?

2 Likes

Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by aeliezer(m): 7:16pm On Dec 28, 2007
The question being asked can be likened to asking if it is right to paint a building externally?

The Bible is not against painting but rathet should not be the only emphasis. Just as a building will be painted outside and also decorated inside so should it be that the daughter of Zion should not deck the outside only but also balance that with a good attitude and Christlike character on the inside (and vice-versa).  That is balanced living!

All work and no play makes Jack a "dull boy"
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by dafidixone(m): 12:56pm On Jan 15, 2008
"Biblical" are you talking of " it is written in the bible" or" if the bible addresses it in context"?
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Ganjaseed: 10:33am On Jan 16, 2008
I want you guys to read the book of esther and see that before esther went to see the king she make up very well and look good and sexy and when the king saw her He was very pleased with her appearance and immediately the king commanded that she should ask anything even to the half of the kingdom she will get it, This is how the deliverance of Jews come when Hema wanted to annihilate the Jews. If she had appear before the king looking stupid and shabby, her head would have been taken from her immortality. I am of the support that women wear make-up and take care of their hair very well and above all dress nice and put smiles on their face because they are fearfully and wonderfully made.

1 Like

Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by Graxie(f): 5:18pm On Mar 28, 2009
Posted by: Ganjaseed 
Insert Quote
I want you guys to read the book of esther and see that before esther went to see the king she make up very well and look good and sexy and when the king saw her  He was very pleased with her appearance and immediately the king commanded that she should ask anything even to the half of the kingdom she will get it, This is how the deliverance of Jews come when Hema wanted to annihilate the Jews. If she had appear before the king looking stupid and shabby, her head would have been taken from her immortality. I am of the support that women wear make-up and take care of their hair very well and above all dress nice and put smiles on their face because they are fearfully and wonderfully made.

I LOVE THIS. JUST BE MODERATE. MY HUBBY LIKES MAKE-UP, SHLD I REFUSE MAKING UP FOR HIM?  NO WAY.
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by tpia: 9:16pm On Mar 29, 2009
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by alfredpoto: 4:04pm On Mar 31, 2009
His ok but should be done in orderliness and decency
Re: Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? by vanitty: 5:14pm On Mar 31, 2009
I don’t think the Lord cares or judges us based on our physical appearances, as long as you have inner beauty, gentle spirit e.t.c . But then again everything should be done in a modest manner, make up included

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Imagine If Blood Money Was Real / Pastor Enoch Adeboye's 2022 Prophecies / Why Some Born-again Ladies Are Finding Difficulties To Get Married

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.