Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,619 members, 7,816,544 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour (29011 Views)

Is This Always True Abt The Binis?? / Why Do Some Yorubas Like Claiming The Binis Originated From Yorubaland? / Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 2:39am On Jun 19, 2012
PhysicsQED:

I honestly don't know that they didn't go to other parts of the kingdom of Benin, but there's also nothing I've come across to suggest that they actually did go to and stay in, much less try to Catholicize anywhere beyond the Bini area. And even then, their presence in the Bini area seems to have been limited to Ughoton and the capital (there's not even any mention of them going to Udo or Urhonigbe for example).

maybe you should check more. I dont see why they'd limit themselves to benin alone.

they'd already been to angola, congo, parts of east africa and goa.

Working their way up the coast via sao tome and fernando po, in addition to other islands.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PhysicsQED(m): 2:48am On Jun 19, 2012
tpia@:

the op specified light skin, but it doesnt mean light skin is the only indicator of non-black dna. Its just the easiest or most visible evidence, that's all.

Have you seen someone from Edo state with naturally wavy hair? Or what are you referring to then? Noses? Jawline?
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 2:57am On Jun 19, 2012
features, mainly.

but light skin tends to be more noticeable.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PhysicsQED(m): 2:58am On Jun 19, 2012
tpia@:

maybe you should check more. I dont see why they'd limit themselves to benin alone.

they'd already been to angola, congo, parts of east africa and goa.

Working their way up the coast via sao tome and fernando po, in addition to other islands.

Where do you think they went in the Benin kingdom besides Benin and Ughoton or where do you think they went in Edo state beyond the Bini area? The Portuguese visited several places in southern Nigeria, but I am talking about Edo state specifically.

This is kind of a situation where we'd need new information to show that they went to more than a few places associated with the kingdom of Benin. Not a situation where we can assume that because they'd been to some other places in other areas of Africa that they'd automatically go to several places in one specific area (modern day Edo state) of southern Nigeria.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 2:59am On Jun 19, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Where do you think they went in the Benin kingdom besides Benin and Ughoton or where do you think they went in Edo state beyond the Bini area? The Portuguese visited several places in southern Nigeria, but I am talking about Edo state specifically.

This is kind of a situation where we'd need new information to show that they went to more than a few places associated with the kingdom of Benin. Not a situation where we can assume that because they'd been to some other places in other areas of Africa that they'd automatically go to several places in one specific area (modern day Edo state) of southern Nigeria.

your questions arent something that can or should be answered right off the bat.

it takes times to reconstruct these things.

and they were there mostly for slaves, not friendly visits.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PhysicsQED(m): 3:03am On Jun 19, 2012
tpia@:
features, mainly.

but light skin tends to be more noticeable.

Well when you say features, that means cheekbones, nose shape, jawline, lips, etc. right? So what exactly is this "mixed" look in terms of specific features and who has it?
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by shymex(m): 3:06am On Jun 19, 2012
^^^^Binis are Yorubas.. grin grin

I'm trying to piss my buddy, PhysicsQED off... Bwahahahahahahaha

You guys got everything from us..

Ile Ibinu! cool
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 3:16am On Jun 19, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Well when you say features, that means cheekbones, nose shape, jawline, lips, etc. right? So what exactly is this "mixed" look in terms of specific features and who has it?

mixed look meaning mixed look.

ie of mixed ancestry.

not something you can access/ascertain instantly, as i pointed out before.

these things take time and familiarity with the subject matter, or area under discussion.

not necessarily based on books either.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PhysicsQED(m): 3:33am On Jun 19, 2012
tpia@:

your questions arent something that can or should be answered right off the bat.

it takes times to reconstruct these things.

and they were there mostly for slaves, not friendly visits.

Who said they were there for anything other than trade? Who implied they were there for friendly visits?

Now since the Binis seem to have been ruled out as candidates for being mixed by virtue of the fact that they don't have the right skin color on average, it's other groups in Edo state that are supposedly mixed looking.

But I want to know what places are being referred to when someone says something like "Some areas in edo are very light and do look mixed."
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PhysicsQED(m): 3:37am On Jun 19, 2012
tpia@:

mixed look meaning mixed look.

ie of mixed ancestry.

not something you can access/ascertain instantly, as i pointed out before.

these things take time and familiarity with the subject matter, or area under discussion.

not necessarily based on books either.

Well putting aside books, I have yet to see these "mixed looking" non Bini people from Edo state that aren't actually mixed.

I hope it's understood that different ethnic groups of black people definitely aren't supposed to look identical in terms of facial features, mixture aside.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PhysicsQED(m): 3:40am On Jun 19, 2012
shymex: ^^^^Binis are Yorubas.. grin grin

I'm trying to piss my buddy, PhysicsQED off... Bwahahahahahahaha

You guys got everything from us..

Ile Ibinu! cool

How is that supposed to piss me off?
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 3:50am On Jun 19, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Who said they were there for anything other than trade? Who implied they were there for friendly visits?

Now since the Binis seem to have been ruled out as candidates for being mixed by virtue of the fact that they don't have the right skin color on average, it's other groups in Edo state that are supposedly mixed looking.

But I want to know what places are being referred to when someone says something like "Some areas in edo are very light and do look mixed."

has it occurred to you the mixed population exited, or could have been forced to exit benin?

move to other parts of the kingdom?

just a thought.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Obiagu1(m): 3:53am On Jun 19, 2012
Patsey: It would have been noted that apart from the Fulani people (many of who have skin colour resembling those of the Arabs), some Bini and Igbo people are light skinned. Why is this? I am proposing that in 1515 when Capuchin monks from Portugal made the first (but failed) attempt at evangelising Nigeria, these monks who operated mainly in the Bini Kingdom bleeped several Bini women whose offspring intermarried with the Delta-Igbos. These also intermarried with the Igbos, east of the Niger, and so on and so forth. Bla bla bla!

Frankly speaking, if you're light-skinned Bini or Igbo, go for blood test, you could qualify for Portuguese citizenship. lol.

Something tells me you're a semi-id.iot. It started in 1515 in your lineage.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PhysicsQED(m): 3:53am On Jun 19, 2012
tpia@:

has it occurred to you the mixed population exited, or could have been forced to exit benin?

move to other parts of the kingdom?

just a thought.

No.

And you think these groups may have left to the interior?
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 3:58am On Jun 19, 2012
who knows.

there could also be other theories, as previously mentioned.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Obiagu1(m): 3:58am On Jun 19, 2012
Some people can't get over the fact that "black" colour varies just like "white" colour. When their theory why many AAs are fair skinned fails when they are reminded that a large number of Igbos are fair skinned too, they turn to the Igbos with the same failed theory used against the AAs. Freaking retards!

1 Like

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by michisdo: 11:33am On Dec 10, 2012
Wow. There are so many ignorant people here, its ridiculous.
Just because you see it as an insult that one of yourr fesatures has been inherited from the white man, you dismiss and insult the possibility? No.
Firstly about the Hausas, traditional hausas were black like all other west africans, until the Usman dam fodio jihad, during which the two cultures of fulani and Hausa intertwined.
The fulanis are light skinned because they are descendant of the Barbars, which have numerous european linkages via relations with the roman empire.
The Igbos are light skinned because they interacted with the portuguese and dutch traders. Please tell me where you have found that people came to trade and no sex occured to produce numerous fatherless children.
Someone said there are many europeans of different colours and noone says they are different tribes? WRONG!! The Viking tribes who forcefully migrated to areas like britain were blond haired, blue eyed tall Scandanavians. The indigenous british were dark haired. The Romans who then conquered europe and britain etc were dark, curly haired shorter people, with mediterranian roots. Gingers for God's sake are the white version of albinos. They are a result like albinos, of a genetic mutation not a particular race, people.
There are many results in history of intermixing forming distinct races with different characteristics:
The fact that many asian similarities are attributed to Ghengis Khan, as something like 1 in 5 asians are his descendents, due to his ritual of fucking the first 'picks' in his vast conquered lands.
The fact that the Roman influenced town of Liquian in China, where blond, blue-eyed people are born everyday is different from the rest of the country.

However, i would like to say that it has been discovered that every human being not from sub-saharan africa actually has genetic sub-saharan african roots due to a genetic connection they all share. This is explained as they are all descendents of an african mother and have over tens of thousands of years migrated and developed genetic mutations which changed their appearance like skin colour, hair colour, etc. Since they went through a mini ice-age amongst other things, which we africans never went through. How would we be light, with all this lack of winter.
They then came back and tried to colonise us. Imagine the irony.

So yes, it is very possible we light nigerians have foreign ancestors, but those ancestors have nigerian ancestors, so its still all from Africa. lol

1 Like

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PhysicsQED(m): 12:23pm On Dec 10, 2012
michisdo: Wow. There are so many ignorant people here, its ridiculous.
Just because you see it as an insult that one of yourr fesatures has been inherited from the white man, you dismiss and insult the possibility? No.
Firstly about the Hausas, traditional hausas were black like all other west africans, until the Usman dam fodio jihad, during which the two cultures of fulani and Hausa intertwined.
The fulanis are light skinned because they are descendant of the Barbars, which have numerous european linkages via relations with the roman empire.
The Igbos are light skinned because they interacted with the portuguese and dutch traders. Please tell me where you have found that people came to trade and no sex occured to produce numerous fatherless children.
Someone said there are many europeans of different colours and noone says they are different tribes? WRONG!! The Viking tribes who forcefully migrated to areas like britain were blond haired, blue eyed tall Scandanavians. The indigenous british were dark haired. The Romans who then conquered europe and britain etc were dark, curly haired shorter people, with mediterranian roots. Gingers for God's sake are the white version of albinos. They are a result like albinos, of a genetic mutation not a particular race, people.
There are many results in history of intermixing forming distinct races with different characteristics:
The fact that many asian similarities are attributed to Ghengis Khan, as something like 1 in 5 asians are his descendents, due to his ritual of fucking the first 'picks' in his vast conquered lands.
The fact that the Roman influenced town of Liquian in China, where blond, blue-eyed people are born everyday is different from the rest of the country.

However, i would like to say that it has been discovered that every human being not from sub-saharan africa actually has genetic sub-saharan african roots due to a genetic connection they all share. This is explained as they are all descendents of an african mother and have over tens of thousands of years migrated and developed genetic mutations which changed their appearance like skin colour, hair colour, etc. Since they went through a mini ice-age amongst other things, which we africans never went through. How would we be light, with all this lack of winter.
They then came back and tried to colonise us. Imagine the irony.

So yes, it is very possible we light nigerians have foreign ancestors, but those ancestors have nigerian ancestors, so its still all from Africa. lol

I was going to respond to this in detail until I read the part in bold. grin grin It would probably be a waste of time to respond if you can say something like that. I don't intend to explain how you misunderstood and distorted the meaning of some of the things I wrote nor do I intend to ask you to provide references for some of your specific claims, but I think you should know that you are contradicting the basic premise of your post by admitting that there are naturally occurring different physical features, hair, skin tones, etc. among different groups of Europeans. I don't understand how you can't see that similar kinds of variation happened among Africans. Yes there are some groups like Fulani that have some non-black ancestry, but mixing with non-Africans like that is not the reason for the vast majority of the variation in skin tone and features across Africa.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by bokohalal(m): 1:34pm On Dec 10, 2012
Europeans mixed with Binis,no doubt. There is a small house right by the moat at Isekhere/Ibiwe opposite Ebo (that says a lot)Street where a Bini family lives. Their features are Afro-European.They have relevance in some aspect of Bini tradition though I do not know exactly what their function is.
The appellation of the Bazuaye family is 'Ogie n Ebo'. We know what Bini tradition demands to become a chief.
It is on record that some Portuguese mercenaries fought alongside Edo warriors to defeat the Igalas. Idah is north east of Benin city. Esan and Afenmai are on the way.We sabi sojas nau.Then and now!
It does not however account for the incidence of fair skin variation in Edoland or elsewhere.This is just in response to those that posit that the Europeans were 'celibate' in ancient Benin.

1 Like

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 4:29pm On Dec 10, 2012
^^^^Most of the light skinned Africans were mostly raped during colonial times...

Interracial marriages weren't really common during that period...

I read a book a couple of weeks ago and the most affected/raped were: Edos/Itsekiris, Egbas, and Igbos...

1 Like

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezeagu(m): 7:48pm On Dec 10, 2012
I don't know where from which body parts most of you are pulling out information from. If Igbo women would riot because of taxing, how are they going to lye stiff on the bead for onye Bekee and then bear the rape-child 9 months later with no protest? Amd where in Igboland is there any such instance of people having Europeans lineages? Surely if 10% of Igbo people are light and you guys are saying because of British molestation then why are these Igbo men and women not claiming their British great and great-great grandfathers, or do they not know their family again? Presuming that every light-skinned Igbo is a product of the British how do we then explain two dark Igbo parents giving birth to anyara-like featured babies? Or maybe these mothers are funking invisible oyiboe?? What about two light ones making a dark one? Maybe invisible Sudanese molestation?

Give it up. People have already had DNA tests and had absolutely no European whatsoever. I don't know why people believe more than half of the world can have a skin tone lighter, except diverse Africans.

1 Like

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 8:29pm On Dec 10, 2012
African American women also protested against slavery, however, were they not raped as well??

If you can't provide archaeological evidence to support your assertion that Igbos are naturally light-skinned, then your assertion is flawed...

Historians documented how Africans were raped on the continent and in diaspora - and when you put into consideration that interracial marriages weren't really common at that time in history, then you should know that the rap.e thing is more plausible... Factor the European DNA occurrence among these people into the equation and you'll arrive at your answer..

Even light-skinned Somalis, Ethiopians, and Eritreans aren't naturally light-skinned(despite having European features) - they became light-skinned due to inter-marriages with Arabs...
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezeagu(m): 9:44pm On Dec 10, 2012
shymexx: If you can't provide archaeological evidence to support your assertion that Igbos are naturally light-skinned, then your assertion is flawed...

What does that even mean? Aren't you supposed to be the one providing examples of such births made by Igbo women and British people? How can you be telling us about something no one has experienced or about ancestors that don't exist? Are the khoisan of the Botswana desert not considered ancient? Are they not also lighter skinned than most Africans? There's absolutely no DNA evidence, or historical evidence, that supports this claim that Igbo people are majorly mixed with ethnic Europeans. There's DNA and historical evidence that African women under slave masters were raped. Do you think Igbo people are unlike any other West African group and do not have a list of their lineage, or are you suggesting there's a massive cover-up? Even in areas where many Africans mixed with Europeans like Cape Verde you have obvious evidence of the fact. You can't even look at an Igbo persons facial features and tell me they are similar looking to most Afro-European people, because Igbo simple aren't mixed.

There's no universal law that says African, or certain African, groups can't have members with lighter skin. Darker skin is a result of Melanin which can come in different levels depending on genes and the regions where you ancestors lived. The whole idea of this mixed theory is nonsense and should this thread should be discarded immediately.

1 Like

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 9:57pm On Dec 10, 2012
ezeagu:
Are the khoisan of the Botswana desert not considered ancient? Are they not also lighter skinned than most Africans? There's absolutely no DNA evidence, or historical evidence, that supports this claim that Igbo people are majorly mixed with ethnic Europeans.

Khoisans aren't pure negroids - they're San people(Bushmen) and the weather of Southern Africa also played a role in the colour of their skin and how they look... Can you compare the weather of South Africa to Nigeria??

Saying light-skinned West Africans aren't mixed is like saying Sicilians, Greeks, and Catalonians in Europe aren't mixed...
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezeagu(m): 10:28pm On Dec 10, 2012
shymexx: Saying light-skinned West Africans aren't mixed is like saying Sicilians, Greeks, and Catalonians in Europe aren't mixed...

No it is NOT, unless you have DNA evidence of this from all the testing that has gone on on the coast. Again, even the Wodaabe scored low on Berber DNA, Igbo people (both dark and light) have been tested and there hasn't been any case of ANY European ancestry.

1 Like

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia1: 10:32pm On Dec 10, 2012
Just because there's a bit of bias against having foreign dna aka white, arab or other non- black ancestry in the gene pool, doesnt mean its completely absent.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezeagu(m): 10:33pm On Dec 10, 2012
Okay, but in the case of the Igbo it is COMPLETELY absent, unless people have DNA studies that say otherwise.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:35pm On Dec 10, 2012
WE MAGUZAWA ARE PUREST OF THE PURE! WE ARE EVEN PURER THAN DISTILLED BURKUTU
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia1: 10:35pm On Dec 10, 2012
ezeagu:

No it is NOT, unless you have DNA evidence of this from all the testing that has gone on on the coast. Again, even the Wodaabe scored low on Berber DNA, Igbo people (both dark and light) have been tested and there hasn't been any case of ANY European ancestry.

This is why i'm trying to pin specific looks and features to specific regions.

You cant make a general statement of this nature because its too vague.

What you mean is some Igbo were tested either rightly or wrongly, and no (or little) european ancestry was ostensibly identified.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezeagu(m): 10:38pm On Dec 10, 2012
European genetic ancestry is the most researched and diverse in study, therefore it is easily identified when analysing peoples ancestral lines. No one, absolutely no one come up with anything less than 99% African, the other 1% being an error.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Abagworo(m): 10:41pm On Dec 10, 2012
Igbos are not mixed and not even as light skinned as people make it seem. We have more light brown skinned people than most other Nigerian black ethnic groups but not in any way white skinned. Is singer Chris Brown light-skinned?
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia1: 10:44pm On Dec 10, 2012
ezeagu: European genetic ancestry is the most researched and diverse in study, therefore it is easily identified when analysing peoples ancestral lines. No one, absolutely no one come up with anything less than 99% African, the other 1% being an error.

my point remains the results depend on the selection process, or test sample.

not to mention the research process itself isnt above review.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Things Nigerians Call Twice / Ooni Of Ife & Saheed Elegushi At Olubadan's Coronation (Photos) / Prince Salisu Bayero Marries Second Wife 2 Years After His Wedding (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.