Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,572 members, 7,816,408 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour (29010 Views)

Is This Always True Abt The Binis?? / Why Do Some Yorubas Like Claiming The Binis Originated From Yorubaland? / Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by pleep(m): 12:39am On Dec 11, 2012
please tell me this is a joke?
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:41am On Dec 11, 2012
Kris Humphries is quarter black, but he looks 100% white...

Facial features have absolutely nothing to do with admixture...

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezeagu(m): 12:45am On Dec 11, 2012
shymexx:

Berbers are just a new group created by Europeans to give the glory of the Moors(black people) who conquered and ruled Southern Europe during the dark ages to their mixed offspring... Those who lived in Libya during Ancient Egypt were blacks and the Phoenicians who came afterwards with Hannibal were also blacks - hence why Gaddafi never recognised the Berbers and their language... Gaddafi confirmed it himself!!

This sounds like gist for the truly crase. Berbers are the indigenous people of northern Africa, and as you said, not all are "white". Gadafi was an Arab and the Arabs conquered and are suppressing the Berbers. Anyway Libya is not my concern because even the ancient Egyptians took up paint and drew what they look like for all to see.

shymexx:

Berbers are just a new group created by Europeans to give the glory of the Moors(black people) who conquered and ruled Southern Europe during the dark ages to their mixed offspring... Those who lived in Libya during Ancient Egypt were blacks and the Phoenicians who came afterwards with Hannibal were also blacks - hence why Gaddafi never recognised the Berbers and their language... Gaddafi confirmed it himself!!

You can't judge a person's ancestry through facial features, if you do that, then most African Americans would be pure Africans as well... However, that isn't the case - most of them with the most pronounced African features and the darkest skin are also mixed... Physical features has absolutely nothing to do with admixture....

Mariah Carey is half black but she looks 100% white:

Mariah Carey's father is from South America and is probably more mixed than someone with one white parent which is why she looks like that. So you can't judge through facial features but skin?
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:45am On Dec 11, 2012
I don't agree with Kris Humpries and Mariah Looking Pure White.....

Humphries has that Blake Griffin Biracial Eque Look about Him.

And Mariah Looks heavily mixed to me.

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezeagu(m): 12:46am On Dec 11, 2012
shymexx: Kris Humphries is quarter black, but he looks 100% white...

Facial features have absolutely nothing to do with admixture...

Another one with a MIXED and a white parent. Common sense. Mixed is only truly considered black in the US.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:47am On Dec 11, 2012
If Igbos never had contacts with Europeans before colonialisation, how come they make up a large percentage of the slaves taken to the new world??
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezeagu(m): 12:50am On Dec 11, 2012
shymexx: If Igbos never had contacts with Europeans before colonialisation, how come they make up a large percentage of the slaves taken to the new world??

In the slave trade era, there was something called MIDDLEMEN. The KALABARI who do in fact have SOME European ancestry as well as a good number of solid European family names, are the ones who greeted the Europeans and then sold Igbo slaves from the Aro-Igbo who trekked to Bonny and other places after getting their slaves from the inside where raids were tearing up the land, on the other side were the EFIK of Calabar. Mind you these journeys were made by men only (apart from captured people). Igbo people NEVER sold slaves directly to Europeans in significant numbers.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:50am On Dec 11, 2012
Another thing that Is Mysterious about the whole "Igbos obtained their complexion from Mixing Is"

Their mixing happened relatively recent.

As compared to cases such as the Fulani and Somali

So one would presume that since the "mixing" took place more recently, that would Theoretically lead Them scoring higher on the Admixture charts.

Seeing as how they didn't have enough time to "Remix" back into something more close to purity.

Yet they don't score high...as a matter of fact...they don't score any points on admixing charts.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:52am On Dec 11, 2012
I am telling you bro...It's the Forrest Region

Nothing More..Nothing Less.

Africans of the Densely Forested Regions are Lighter than Those of who migrated downwards from the Sahel and Sahara.

I believe that is all it is.

Again though, i could be wrong.

Maybe future dna testing with advanced technology can shed more light......Maybe.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:53am On Dec 11, 2012
ezeagu:
This sounds like gist for the truly crase. Berbers are the indigenous people of northern Africa, and as you said, not all are "white". Gadafi was an Arab and the Arabs conquered and are suppressing the Berbers. Anyway Libya is not my concern because even the ancient Egyptians took up paint and drew what they look like for all to see.

If Berbers are indigenous to Libya, how come archaeological excavations keep digging up pure negroes in North Africa and Libya?? Where were the Berbers when Hannibal was in Carthage(Don't tell me Hannibal was a Berber as well)?? Where were the Berbers when the Moors ruled North Africa??

Mariah Carey's father is from South America and is probably more mixed than someone with one white parent which is why she looks like that. So you can't judge through facial features but skin?

Mariah Carey is 50% black - her dad has both Afro-Venezuelan and African American ancestry and her facial features(except prob. the cheekbones) look Caucasoid to me...
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezotik: 12:53am On Dec 11, 2012
shymexx:

You can't judge a person's ancestry through facial features, if you do that, then most African Americans would be pure Africans as well... However, that isn't the case - most of them with the most pronounced African features and the darkest skin are also mixed... Physical features has absolutely nothing to do with admixture....

Mariah Carey is half black but she looks 100% white:

hahaha dont tell me u made that dna shyte up just to support ur argument.
coz now u cant produce any reference when called out for it but going on an irrelevant rant. grin grin
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:54am On Dec 11, 2012
Jet Black Skin is a "Later" Adaption from Climate Conditions(Extreme Sunlight,Dryness)

Which is why the Senegalese and Western Malians are so Dark

Most people would ignorantly assume the congolese are the darkest.

Not true at all

So geographically, it is not surprising as to why the Igbos are Lighter than many of the groups further west.(West Africa)
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezeagu(m): 12:55am On Dec 11, 2012
~Royal~:
Another thing that Is Mysterious about the whole "Igbos obtained their complexion from Mixing Is"

Their mixing happened relatively recent.

As compared to cases such as the Fulani and Somali

So one would presume that since the "mixing" took place more recently, that would Theoretically lead Them scoring higher on the Admixture charts.

Seeing as how they didn't have enough time to "Remix" back into something more close to purity.

Yet they don't score high...as a matter of fact...they don't score any points on admixing charts.

And there's absolutely no memory of magical British forefathers in the Igbo hinterland. The same hinterland where Igbo people were running away from 'white-spirit people' when SOME British explorers finally ventured inside in the 19th century until the 20th century.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:56am On Dec 11, 2012
ezeagu:
In the slave trade era, there was something called MIDDLEMEN. The KALABARI who do in fact have SOME European ancestry as well as a good number of solid European family names, are the ones who greeted the Europeans and then sold Igbo slaves from the Aro-Igbo who trekked to Bonny and other places after getting their slaves from the inside where raids were tearing up the land, on the other side were the EFIK of Calabar. Mind you these journeys were made by men only (apart from captured people). Igbo people NEVER sold slaves directly to Europeans in significant numbers.

How about the slaves who escaped??

However, Europeans also hunted slaves in the African interior by themselves...

R1b DNA already proved that Edos and Igbos have a significant amount of people with European ancestry - you just can't argue against that...
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:58am On Dec 11, 2012
OffTopic....That Igbo Chiq i posted fine as Hell though...

Godamn.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 12:59am On Dec 11, 2012
Typo on the previous post....

I meant "Lighter"
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 1:00am On Dec 11, 2012
~Royal~:
I am telling you bro...It's the Forrest Region

Nothing More..Nothing Less.

Africans of the Densely Forested Regions are Lighter than Those of who migrated downwards from the Sahel and Sahara.

I believe that is all it is.

Again though, i could be wrong.

Maybe future dna testing with advanced technology can shed more light......Maybe.

~Royal~:
Jet Black Skin is a "Later" Adaption from Climate Conditions(Extreme Sunlight,Dryness)

Which is why the Senegalese and Western Malians are so Dark

Most people would ignorantly assume the congolese are the darkest.

Not true at all

So geographically, it is not surprising as to why the Igbos are Lighter than many of the groups further west.(West Africa)

Fixed....
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezeagu(m): 1:00am On Dec 11, 2012
shymexx:

If Berbers are indigenous to Libya, how come archaeological excavations keep digging up pure negroes in North Africa and Libya?? Where were the Berbers when Hannibal was in Carthage(Don't tell me Hannibal was a Berber as well)?? Where were the Berbers when the Moors ruled North Africa??

I'm not even interested in this sort of black-nationalist argument about Nuba people taking over Dublin. All I know is that Berbers are indigenous to north Africa and have been victims of Arab imperialism. Whether there were Maasai people called Hannibal ( by the way from which African language did this name originate?) or Zulu's ruling Tunisia, I don't care for this talk.

shymexx: Mariah Carey is 50% black - her dad has both Afro-Venezuelan and African American ancestry and her facial features(except prob. the cheekbones) look Caucasoid to me...

Yes, USA Black, but not black in the sense of more than 90% black African ancestry.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezotik: 1:02am On Dec 11, 2012
shymexx:

R1b DNA already proved that Edos and Igbos have a significant amount of people with European ancestry - you just can't argue against that...

ezeagu:

Where did you get this R1b European nonsense from?

errr
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 1:04am On Dec 11, 2012
Haplogroup R1B (Y-DNA) Map...

^^^You can clearly see the Igbo region and Northern Cameroon on the map... If there's no race admixture, how come R1B Western European DNA is prominent among Igbos??
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Crayola1: 1:05am On Dec 11, 2012
What's with all this broad features nonsense, a good deal of Nigerians have broad features that one would consider African, not just Igbo people undecided
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezeagu(m): 1:05am On Dec 11, 2012
shymexx:

How about the slaves who escaped??

However, Europeans also hunted slaves in the African interior by themselves...

1. NOPE, Europeans NEVER hunted for slaves in the Igbo region otherwise they would have jamed the Aro who would not let them take away this trade so easily (the British only entered Aro in 1901 after fighting with the kingdom for months, with trenches and everything).

2. You still haven't provided any sort of research that reveals that one of Africa's largest and oldest ethnic groups have significant Euroepan ancestry. You still haven't provided me with any Igbo family (in Igbo land) that claims a British ancestor. You still haven't explained why the Europeans created homes for their African mistresses and children in city quarters all over West Africa, but non in Igboland.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 1:06am On Dec 11, 2012
Is Shymexxing Getting Text Jumped by Ronald Morpheus and MsDark Incognito...?

(*Just Thinking Out Loud while i smoke these Rasberyy Skunkvines*)

Somebody tell Ronald and MsD get off that Guest List...Everybody knows this thread is an Afrocentric Mine Field

....LoL
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 1:07am On Dec 11, 2012
Crayola1: What's with all this broad features nonsense, a good deal of Nigerians have broad features that one would consider African, not just Igbo people undecided

As an Igbo Woman, Don't be offended.

When Royal speaks of Broad Wide Noses...He is speaking of flawless Beauty

#TeamBigNoses
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PhysicsQED(m): 1:08am On Dec 11, 2012
bokohalal: Europeans mixed with Binis,no doubt.

I think this statement should be qualified significantly. There really isn't much to support the idea that there was any large scale mixing between Binis and Europeans and a few families here or there claiming or actually having European ancestry is not the same thing as a whole group mixing to some significant degree. There are mixed couples and mixed children in the UK in modern times, but years from now people wouldn't say about this era, "this is when the British mixed with black Africans" because the statement could be misinterpreted without qualifying it by pointing out that it's just a few people out of the huge whole.

There is a small house right by the moat at Isekhere/Ibiwe opposite Ebo (that says a lot)Street where a Bini family lives. Their features are Afro-European.They have relevance in some aspect of Bini tradition though I do not know exactly what their function is.

How are you sure that you're interpreting "Ebo" the right way there?

The appellation of the Bazuaye family is 'Ogie n Ebo'. We know what Bini tradition demands to become a chief.

I am also not sure this is a right interpretation of "Ebo." I think the appellation might have something to do with deities or diviners. Maybe one of their ancestors was considered a great diviner and they gained a reputation for that.

It is on record that some Portuguese mercenaries fought alongside Edo warriors to defeat the Igalas. Idah is north east of Benin city. Esan and Afenmai are on the way.We sabi sojas nau.Then and now!

Saying there are more lighter skinned Esan and Afenmai because of randy Portuguese mercenaries in the 16th century would be more plausible if there weren't so many of them (lighter skinned people) frequently found among the populations and they didn't all seem to have wholly African features. Until I see DNA evidence, I'm skeptical of this claim about Esan and Portuguese. . .I have yet to see even one Esan person with really "mixed" facial features that isn't actually a child of a black and white couple. The light skinned ones have features that are just as African as the darkest ones, which seems to me to be a big clue that the lighter skin tone is really due to natural variation within the population rather than outside admixture.

This is just in response to those that posit that the Europeans were 'celibate' in ancient Benin.

It's not that they were all "celibate" - probably a few did hook up with a few of the people over the centuries - it's just that there's little evidence to suggest that there was any really significant mixing in Benin or the surrounding areas, especially considering how foreigners were strictly supervised. Even in the mid 1600s, this is what at least one visitor claimed about sexual relations with foreigners in Benin:

"Each man marries as many wives as he wishes and can feed, and he has a great number of concubines over and above these. They wallow in lust and voluptuousness, but a white man or a Christian has difficulty in finding a wh0re, for fear of punishment, because it is forbidden on pain of death." (This is from Olfert Dapper - his sources were from eyewitness accounts of visitors. The part about "lust and voluptuousness" is probably what polygamy would look like to a prudish Christian of that time - similar stereotypes about being "lustful" were applied to other polygamous peoples like Arabs and Turks by other European writers.)

(Side note: this quote is kind of ironic in light of Benin's current foreign prost1tution problem.)

Maybe at another time in Benin, things were different, but the idea of mixing being significant (more than a few families) or widespread anywhere in southern Nigeria in the past doesn't seem to be supported by any kind of strong evidence. Anywhere you go in southern Nigeria, there are just those few families in a few places that people know about that have European ancestry or were descendants of former slaves who moved back to Nigeria and who might have had some European ancestry from that, but it's not like there are groups with significant amounts of European admixture or groups who, on average, have even slight European admixture. I doubt that even the Ijaws would show slight European ancestry on average if large scale DNA testing was carried out among them.

I'd bet that there are probably more southern Europeans (Portuguese included) with some slight west African DNA (studies have shown that there are some Southern Europeans with slight West African DNA) inherited from population movements from some centuries or millennia ago than there are West Africans with slight European DNA.

[Sorry about the long post.]
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 1:09am On Dec 11, 2012
ezeagu:
I'm not even interested in this sort of black-nationalist argument about Nuba people taking over Dublin. All I know is that Berbers are indigenous to north Africa and have been victims of Arab imperialism. Whether there were Maasai people called Hannibal ( by the way from which African language did this name originate?) or Zulu's ruling Tunisia, I don't care for this talk.

Do you know Hausa people and Tuareg people are Black Berbers?? And Hausas speak an Afroasiatic language?? - more reason why the Berber ethnicity is a fraud!! This isn't about black-nationalism - it's about historical facts!!

Yes, USA Black, but not black in the sense of more than 90% black African ancestry.

One-drop is the same thing everywhere, even in Europe... Mixed raced people are considered light-skinned blacks out here and most of them live as black people...
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 1:09am On Dec 11, 2012
^--This thread is getting Live.

Let me Roll Up another. Brb
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezeagu(m): 1:10am On Dec 11, 2012
shymexx: Haplogroup R1B (Y-DNA) Map...

^^^You can clearly see the Igbo region and Northern Cameroon on the map... If there's no race admixture, how come R1B Western European DNA is prominent among Igbos??

And is this the map that you've based your entire R1b Igbo European fantasy on? Did you actually try and check if this map was accurate and if r1b is common among Igbo population? R1b exists NOWHERE in West Africa.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezeagu(m): 1:14am On Dec 11, 2012
shymexx: One-drop is the same thing everywhere, even in Europe... Mixed raced people are considered light-skinned blacks out here and most of them live as black people...

If one drop were the same thing in Europe and everywhere then mixed race people wouldn't be getting the privileges the rest of the black population does not. Anyway, the point is Mariah Carey has nothing to do with the magical British ancestors of the Igbo who managed to NOT get eating by wild hippos and NOT have their heads used as a charm or even better, a headdress for a war dance because they flew in an early air balloon and landed in Oguta lake.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 1:14am On Dec 11, 2012
Viewing this topic: bokohalal(m), ~Royal~, shymexx(m), ezeagu(m), NRI PRIEST(m), PhysicsQED(m), ezotik, Crayola1 and 2 guest(s)

Igbos coming out the Woodwork
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Crayola1: 1:14am On Dec 11, 2012
~Royal~:

As an Igbo Woman, Don't be offended.

When Royal speaks of Broad Wide Noses...He is speaking of flawless Beauty

#TeamBigNoses

I'm not Igbo but I'm speaking from what I've seen. OBJ had nostrils wide enough that you could count the gray hairs individually from five feet away and is Yoruba.
GEJ has a nose on him and is Ijaw
Agbani Darego has a smaller nose and is Kalabari

On average broad noses are a thing among most Nigerian groups. And much of WA, SA, and EA in general unless you limit yourself to NA and HOA.

All this talk about noses sounds like an inferiority complex by some folks
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezotik: 1:15am On Dec 11, 2012
lol @ shymmex posting just a map. anybody can draw a map shymmex, and here is one for u

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Things Nigerians Call Twice / Ooni Of Ife & Saheed Elegushi At Olubadan's Coronation (Photos) / Prince Salisu Bayero Marries Second Wife 2 Years After His Wedding (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.