Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,001 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? (17000 Views)

Money Matters In Marriage: Does The Husband Own His Wife's Money? / Sex Before Marriage Does It Help? / Does Length Of Courtship Affect Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by obiosa(m): 1:00pm On Jun 23, 2012
Its individualised for everyone,I didn't court my wife! We dated less than 6months and now we have been married for about 4years now,COMPATIBILITY is d key word! As well as sincerity.once those two are there,with d GOD factor,then the rest will fall in place
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 1:00pm On Jun 23, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Well, there are no guarantees. How each individual will react varies. Personally I think, if u both remain sincere with eachother and u keep doing what u do for fun, and if you still hold each other in high esteem despite the less attraction, there shouldn't be any problem except one partner is wanting more.

Another thing, this sincerity, honesty, maturity etc are things that take time to judge and ascertain their durability.

All these is why I find it extremely helpful to get to know someone for a good while to (1) judge their qualities well and (2) build a bond with them so when attraction fades, there is something to fall back on.

Tgirl4real:
People change over night Sagamite. All it takes is a lil shift in priority. U can't calculate the human emotions and always arrive at the same answers. There will always be a probability.

Doing (1) and (2) helps reduce the risk.

More so, when dealing with women.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Olami90: 1:02pm On Jun 23, 2012
d no of years 4 courtship does nt rily matter..compatibility shld count nd pple tend to b careless during courtship to notice wot is needed to b corrected claiming to b in love..courtship shld b d tym one shld b blunt nd examine wot he or she is doin thoroughly if u can cop wit it or nt..dnt manage d basic thinz nided,jst b decisiv nd mov on if d basics u needed are lacking.Change is constant nd u shld xpect to c more wen u marry him or her..i dnt succumb to 3months courtship...nd dia is notin wrong wit 5yrs nd abov courtship as far as d 2 parties are sincere nd positiv minded witout takin advantage of each other
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by ibrossss: 1:03pm On Jun 23, 2012
I don't think it really matter
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 1:04pm On Jun 23, 2012
Olami90: d no of years 4 courtship does nt rily matter..compatibility shld count nd pple tend to b careless during courtship to notice wot is needed to b corrected claiming to b in love..courtship shld b d tym one shld b blunt nd examine wot he or she is doin thoroughly if u can cop wit it or nt..dnt manage d basic thinz nided,jst b decisiv nd mov on if d basics u needed are lacking.Change is constant nd u shld xpect to c more wen u marry him or her..i dnt succumb to 3months courtship...nd dia is notin wrong wit 5yrs nd abov courtship as far as d 2 parties are sincere nd positiv minded witout takin advantage of each other

Type in proper english. You attended school, didn't you?
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Orikinla(m): 1:09pm On Jun 23, 2012
Yes. Don't waste time.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Kenyata(m): 1:11pm On Jun 23, 2012
It doesn't matter. For me, we courted for 3 months, got married and have been living together for 5 years now. We have two children together, a boy and a girl.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 1:18pm On Jun 23, 2012
Kenyata: It doesn't matter. For me, we courted for 3 months, got married and have been living together for 5 years now. We have two children together, a boy and a girl.

This is your proof it does not matter? undecided
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Otses(f): 1:19pm On Jun 23, 2012
Long or short courtship does not determine if a marriage will work. Some people say that when you get married after a short time to somebody then you should get ready for surprises. But believe me, no mater how long courtship is, someone who is hiding his or her character will still do. Its just the grace of God, and you should study each other to the best of your ability, because there is bound to always be surprises no mater how long of short you court.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Reference(m): 1:28pm On Jun 23, 2012
Yes, the length of time is important however the content is the objective and matters more. In the sense that an intending couple may get engaged and stay aloof or in deceit however even against the most solid facades time is a good wearing agent. There is a minimum practical time any structure can be built and that includes relationships.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jun 23, 2012
tasandra: I guess not,whats important s knwin each other better smiley
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 1:33pm On Jun 23, 2012
Otses: Long or short courtship does not determine if a marriage will work. Some people say that when you get married after a short time to somebody then you should get ready for surprises. But believe me, no mater how long courtship is, someone who is hiding his or her character will still do. Its just the grace of God, and you should study each other to the best of your ability, because there is bound to always be surprises no mater how long of short you court.

According to your God, I am assuming it is that one in the Bible: God help those that help themselves.

Instead of passing all responsibility on his grace, do some grace yourself. The longer you know someone, the more likely you would be able to discover what they are hiding. It is far less easy to be acting for years than it is to be in months.

So don't postulate there is no difference in people that date long and people that date short. The former are more likely to reduce the risk, even if some might still exist. That is based on the assumption, that both former and latter put in the same efforts. If both parties put in minimal effort, the longer ones are still better off. If both parties put in a lot of effort, the longer ones are still better off.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jun 23, 2012
Courtship doesn't really matter (just as looks don't really matter), connection is the most important thing... Longer courtship breeds boredom because of lack of total commitment..

If you're just 'settling' with your partner, then you may try long courtship.. But if you want to marry based on what you really want in a partner - then you should know if he/she is really the one for you within 3months..

But hey, we all have different gifts from the maker... Personally, I know after about a month if a girl is really for me, or not.. It's just my instinct, how I study people, and connect the dots in their character traits.. I can spot a fake person from afar...

Everything boils down to how we interact with our subconscious mind - our subconscious mind can never go wrong, and it's more accurate than a lie detector test.

3 Likes

Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 1:35pm On Jun 23, 2012
Reference: Yes, the length of time is important however the content is the objective and matters more. In the sense that an intending couple may get engaged and stay aloof or in deceit however even against the most solid facades time is a good wearing agent. There is a minimum practical time any structure can be built and that includes relationships.

Very well said in every word you put there.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Tgirl4real(f): 1:36pm On Jun 23, 2012
Sagamite:

Another thing, this sincerity, honesty, maturity etc are things that take time to judge and ascertain their durability.

All these is why I find it extremely helpful to get to know someone for a good while to (1) judge their qualities well and (2) build a bond with them so when attraction fades, there is something to fall back on.

Doing (1) and (2) helps reduce the risk.

More so, when dealing with women.

U don't need donkey years to judge a good character/qualities as u put it. Once u know d qualities u want and the things u can't compromise, it's easy to spot.

For me its faith, honesty and selflessness. Once I'm convinced about those 3 area, the rest are things we can work out. If I'm not certain about one area, then I need a longer tym. D sad thing is, d longer u spend d more you compromise.

For bonding, I think if u spend quality time together in the short space u met, u will bond well except there is no attraction.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Reference(m): 1:39pm On Jun 23, 2012
Otses: Long or short courtship does not determine if a marriage will work. Some people say that when you get married after a short time to somebody then you should get ready for surprises. But believe me, no mater how long courtship is, someone who is hiding his or her character will still do. Its just the grace of God, and you should study each other to the best of your ability, because there is bound to always be surprises no mater how long of short you court.

You're picking extremes. Marraige doesn't differ substantially from other relationships. Some hit it off from the get go while others take years to forge. What we are saying refers to the vast majority across most cultures and backgrounds that last fairly long.

Do a proper search and you discover that generally relationships take time. Even the concept of a successful marraige is open to debate. Is it longevity, happiness, wealth or a combination of these elements and how they suit the individuals involved. I'm yet to see two people agree on every possible thing and it doesn't take two to shut down a marraige. Its all relative so look for the mean.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Tgirl4real(f): 1:42pm On Jun 23, 2012
Sagamite:

According to your God, I am assuming it is that one in the Bible: God help those that help themselves.

Instead of passing all responsibility on his grace, do some grace yourself.

That is not in the bible sagamite.

And truly, it's only the grace of God that sustains a marrriage. If you like, calculate from here to jupiter. wink

Btw, I commented on ur analysis on the other thread.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 1:47pm On Jun 23, 2012
Tgirl4real:

U don't need donkey years to judge a good character/qualities as u put it. Once u know d qualities u want and the things u can't compromise, it's easy to spot.

For me its faith, honesty and selflessness. Once I'm convinced about those 3 area, the rest are things we can work out. If I'm not certain about one area, then I need a longer tym. D sad thing is, d longer u spend d more you compromise.

For bonding, I think if u spend quality time together in the short space u met, u will bond well except there is no attraction.

You might not need donkey years but you do need a good length of time to make sure you are not basing your life decision and risk purely on faith.

I am sure you would not place £5m of your own money with someone you have known and hanged out with for 3 months and you feel you can trust, over placing it with someone you have known and hanged out with for 10 years and feel you can trust.

You obviously need a lot of time to observe, know and test someones' faith, honesty and selflessness. That I doubt can usually be reasonably done in 3 months. Not even if you are a psychologist, talkless of being a layman. More so if the person is willing to pretend to achieve an aim (e.g. an ATM woman).

As per the longer you wait you have to compromise: true! That mainly applies to women and why we see a lot of rushed marriages. That is just pragmatism and expediency, not idealism.

If time was not an issue for most wwomen, it would do them good to date for a decently long time before putting a ring on it.

As per bonding, you will bond better with someone over 4 years than you would over 3 months. So, as I said, the longer the better on average.

P.S: ATM means Anxious to Marry.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Reference(m): 1:52pm On Jun 23, 2012
I know time isn't a popular thing with ladies but that glich in the software produces a proportionately higher dissatisfaction within that gender in cases where relationships are rushed. The key is starting out early and coming to terms more quickly. But once again the software glich won't permit that. Men on the other hand practice relationships years before they get into any and years before they are ready to settle down so they know what to expect and have built the necessary internal infrastructure to make them stable once in it. Once again its the time factor.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 1:53pm On Jun 23, 2012
Tgirl4real:

That is not in the bible sagamite.

And truly, it's only the grace of God that sustains a marrriage. If you like, calculate from here to jupiter. wink

Btw, I commented on ur analysis on the other thread.

Ah, pele! I no dey read the book o. I just hear such phrases from delusional bible-thompers that dream they can convert me. grin

Which other thread?
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by mrperfect(m): 1:54pm On Jun 23, 2012
Depends on the age of the people involve.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Reference(m): 1:54pm On Jun 23, 2012
Sagamite:

You might not need donkey years but you do need a good length of time to make sure you are not basing your life decision and risk purely on faith.

I am sure you would not place £5m of your own money with someone you have known and hanged out with for 3 months and you feel you can trust, over placing it with someone you have known and hanged out with for 10 years and feel you can trust.

You obviously need a lot of time to observe, know and test someones' faith, honesty and selflessness. That I doubt can usually be reasonably done in 3 months. Not even if you are a psychologist, talkless of being a layman. More so if the person is willing to pretend to achieve an aim (e.g. an ATM woman).

As per the longer you wait you have to compromise: true! That mainly applies to women and why we see a lot of rushed marriages. That is just pragmatism and expediency, not idealism.

If time was not an issue for most wwomen, it would do them good to date for a decently long time before putting a ring on it.

As per bonding, you will bond better with someone over 4 years than you would over 3 months. So, as I said, the longer the better on average.

To put it frankly.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 1:57pm On Jun 23, 2012
Reference: I know time isn't a popular thing with ladies but that glich in the software produces a proportionately higher dissatisfaction within that gender in cases where relationships are rushed. The key is starting out early and coming to terms more quickly. But once again the software glich won't permit that. Men on the other hand practice relationships years before they get into any and years before they are ready to settle down so they know what to expect and have built the necessary internal infrastructure to make them stable once in it. Once again its the time factor.

So fcking well said again.

You most likely used your pretty youth to be rude to men and/or then chase after bad boys, and when you time is ticking and the looks are fading you want to put a shot-gun on a man's head to come and take what is left. undecided
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by joe4christ(m): 2:03pm On Jun 23, 2012
[size=15pt] It just should be long enough for the both of them to know if they are compatible enough for marraige, if not the both should just go their seperate ways.
No hard feelings! grin [/size]
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Tgirl4real(f): 2:04pm On Jun 23, 2012
Sagamite:

Ouch! That hurts. smiley

I see your point. But age should be considered sha. Dere's a certain age u reach where u don't bother with unserious guys. Like when I clocked 28, I told myself that tops is a year and datz courtship + marriage preparation. The minimum is 6 months.

Sagamite:

Ah, pele! I no dey read the book o. I just hear such phrases from delusional bible-thompers that dream they can convert me. grin

Which other thread?

I wanna dream I can covert u tongue

Was referring to d link u posted here about g/friend and wife material.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Reference(m): 2:04pm On Jun 23, 2012
Just thinking. If I were to spend 20 years in grade school surely at some point no amount of teaching could make me better academically but you must admit that probably only 1 - 5% of us can attain high school within a couple of years. So why should intending couples rank themselves among the 1 - 5 percentiles of natural bonders when they probably cannot take criticism, snore at night, pee on the toilet floor, cannot cook and know only one sex position. These are real issues.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 2:12pm On Jun 23, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Ouch! That hurts. smiley

I see your point. But age should be considered sha. Dere's a certain age u reach where u don't bother with unserious guys. Like when I clocked 28, I told myself that tops is a year and datz courtship + marriage preparation. The minimum is 6 months.

That is understandable. It is evolutionary so I don't condemn it.

When a woman reaches 35 and is not married, she would stop saying she wants only a 6ft 4 guy with 6 packs, his own mansion, very funny, nice dresser, faultless eyes, famous and that worships the floor she walks on.

6ft 4 with a job and that likes her would be heaven at that age.

Tgirl4real:
I wanna dream I can covert u tongue

Ehn.

Sings: Dream on, dreamer, life is just a race . . . . [Brand New Heavies] grin

Tgirl4real:
Was referring to d link u posted here about g/friend and wife material.

Yeah, I just saw it. For some reason, despite already being on the thread, it did not come up on my followed list.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by donmarshia(m): 2:32pm On Jun 23, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Naa...not that. Just that when u are at dat age, any guy that comes to u should know what he wants. Datz no tym for fooling around. If he has no good intentions, abeg shove him aside before he blocks beta suitors that are waiting around the corner.

How will a guy know you who he wants without knowing well? Even
If a lady is 30, I must knw her wella before we marry, and dats by courting.
That a lady attracts a man does not mean he wants to marry her, not until the lady proves herself worthy.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Tgirl4real(f): 2:34pm On Jun 23, 2012
Reference: I know time isn't a popular thing with ladies but that glich in the software produces a proportionately higher dissatisfaction within that gender in cases where relationships are rushed. The key is starting out early and coming to terms more quickly. But once again the software glich won't permit that. Men on the other hand practice relationships years before they get into any and years before they are ready to settle down so they know what to expect and have built the necessary internal infrastructure to make them stable once in it. Once again its the time factor.

Hmm . . .
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Tgirl4real(f): 2:45pm On Jun 23, 2012
Sagamite:

Actually, I will be stupid to do dat.

By Faith up there, do u mean fate?

Sagamite:

Actually, I can. I do crazy things. cool
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by queensmith: 3:01pm On Jun 23, 2012
lol- someone was asking the same question but in a slightly different context; erm queensmith so how long do you see someone before you date him?? Just gotta love British kids, gotta love em. . . . I love em grin grin grin anyways

I don't think anything is set in stone tbh but when I hear of problems between couples I always ask if they dated before getting married and for how long, simply because it's difficult to believe the attitude you suddenly taken a dislike to popped up out of no wher.

However I do believe you must do the following; a background check like i have advised on a previous thread, do all the necessary tests of infidelity and the likes, an aptitude test, situational judgement, psychometric testing and the likes. Then it wouldnt matter how long you court to tell if he/she is suitable for marriage grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Goes Into Naming A Child / How Should I Handle Friends Requesting For Loan? / Managing Resources As Newly Married Couples.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.