Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,073 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? (17003 Views)

Money Matters In Marriage: Does The Husband Own His Wife's Money? / Sex Before Marriage Does It Help? / Does Length Of Courtship Affect Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 5:01pm On Jul 10, 2012
Tgirl4real:

No wonder you sound so familiar. So, it was you grin grin grin

U no well at all . . . no wonder your name sounds like Sagamu grin

hmm . . . Sagamite = Ara Sagamu

So you did not know wetin Sagamite stand for before? grin

ronkebp: grin grin grin....all you had to is exercise off the excess calories....and d juju would have bounced back....

When my Babalawo makes incantations to my fore-fore-fathers, takes a gulp of Ogogoro (if Ogogoro no dey, Schi-napp go do) down his half-rotten-half-toothed mouth, goggles it to mix with the incantations and then spits it all over me to wash all my enemies juju off, the heat burns more calories than any exercise.

ronkebp: Sagamilo...any luck yet with the Man-u and Arsenal thingy..? smiley wink

Jesus is Lord!

Sings:

"We shall overcom-oome,

We shall overcome each game-aayame"
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by ronkebp(f): 5:54pm On Jul 10, 2012
^^^^^grin grin grin grin...i can see your hopes are high,.....wish you luck. keep me posted though wink wink
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 3:46pm On Jul 12, 2012
This is the king of risks I am talking about when people rush to marry who they do not know:

https://www.nairaland.com/269341/me-same-guy-slept-us

The longer the courtship, the more the risk is reduced.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by ronkebp(f): 4:55pm On Jul 12, 2012
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Tgirl4real(f): 7:42pm On Jul 12, 2012
Ara Sagamu don start o. Dis thread has turned to a neva ending one. tongue

Btw, I don't think u got my joke here

Tgirl4real:
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 8:45pm On Jul 12, 2012
Tgirl4real: Ara Sagamu don start o. Dis thread has turned to a neva ending one. tongue

Btw, I don't think u got my joke here

I actually think I get it now. grin

Gods speak differently?
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by kandiikane(m): 9:09pm On Jul 12, 2012
Seems to courtships which are no more than a few months tend to have longer lasting marriages. tongue
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 9:21pm On Jul 12, 2012
kandiikane: Seems to courtships which are no more than a few months tend to have longer lasting marriages. tongue

Really? grin
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by kandiikane(m): 9:28pm On Jul 12, 2012
Sagamite:

Really? grin

Yes, na. See all the people who marry after a month or so of dating.

It's like when you date for 3 or 4 years you start noticing the flaws of your partner and things start annoying you. The spark, passion go don go, so you go dey contemplate about leaving.

If na marriage after 1 month, by the 12th month you go don born pikin, even if spark goes after 4 years, you nor go dare leave marriage.

There are difference to the 2 couples though.

4 year courting=modern couple who dey nyash endlessly sotay dey come taya

1month courting= traditional couple who nyash after wedding, even if den taya den go still continue. Some go have extramarital affairs but still keep marriage intact.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 9:41pm On Jul 12, 2012
kandiikane:

Yes, na. See all the people who marry after a month or so of dating.

It's like when you date for 3 or 4 years you start noticing the flaws of your partner and things start annoying you. The spark, passion go don go, so you go dey contemplate about leaving.

If na marriage after 1 month, by the 12th month you go don born pikin, even if spark goes after 4 years, you nor go dare leave marriage.

There are difference to the 2 couples though.

4 year courting=modern couple who dey nyash endlessly sotay dey come taya

1month courting= traditional couple who nyash after wedding, even if den taya den go still continue. Some go have extramarital affairs but still keep marriage intact.

I suspected that was the kind of argument you were going to make. grin

Let me make it clear to you: 10 years of a happy marriage is a more successful marriage than 50 years of a miserable marriage.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by kandiikane(m): 9:46pm On Jul 12, 2012
Sagamite:

I suspected that was the kind of argument you were going to make. grin

Let me make it clear to you: 10 years of a happy marriage is a more successful marriage than 50 years of a miserable marriage.

Miserable? Ah ah, no na. Which miserable? The persin wey go marry after 4years, wey spark go don go na dat persin go have a miserable and unsucessful marriage. You sabi dey di love don die small and you enter marriage, you won't have anything to look forward to. Especially, those that have moved in together and had kids before marriage.tongue
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 10:08pm On Jul 12, 2012
kandiikane:

Miserable? Ah ah, no na. Which miserable? The persin wey go marry after 4years, wey spark go don go na dat persin go have a miserable and unsucessful marriage. You sabi dey di love don die small and you enter marriage, you won't have anything to look forward to. Especially, those that have moved in together and had kids before marriage.tongue

What is there to look forward to when you are only in a marriage because you have a child together and cannot get out of it easily?

The other women outside the marriage you can shag?
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by kandiikane(m): 10:20pm On Jul 12, 2012
The marriage is not just there because of a child.

The child will just make the couple want to work harder for there marriage.

Anyway, we go agree to disagree.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Tgirl4real(f): 10:54pm On Jul 12, 2012
Sagamite:

I actually think I get it now. grin

Gods speak differently?

Naa...u didn't. Letz see if u r truly god o intelligence grin

Read ur posted that I replied to very well.

And stop using capital G. Geezz!

Hmmm... Arguing is my hubby. I see u've picked on someone else. tongue
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 10:58pm On Jul 12, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Naa...u didn't. Letz see if u r truly god o intelligence grin

Read ur posted that I replied to very well.

And stop using capital G. Geezz!

Hmmm... Arguing is my hubby. I see u've picked on someone else. tongue

Don't get your post one bit.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Tgirl4real(f): 11:26pm On Jul 12, 2012
Sagamite:

Unfortunately there is no one my size on this Earth.

I am a special breed from the realms of the Gods.

I am not suppose to be here, I belong with the Gods. What happened was that I was the[b] God of Intelligence in Heaven, and while I was doing my Ashaworism in heaven chasing the Goddess of Beauty[/b] wey I wan knack, na im one of the other male God's got jealous and pushed me. Na im I fall from heaven land for Sagamu.

The is d post I responded to esp.d highlighted part.

Here's my response again:

Tgirl4real:

I sincere hope u get d gist now. cheesy
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 4:17am On Jul 13, 2012
Tgirl4real:

The is d post I responded to esp.d highlighted part.

Here's my response again:

I sincere hope u get d gist now. cheesy

Oh, so it was you yansh I was chasing? grin

So when I was grabbing your yansh and was pushed by the jealous god, you also fell from heaven due to my grip. grin

Which town did you land at? cheesy
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Tgirl4real(f): 5:57am On Jul 13, 2012
Hehehehe... Lasgidi grin

Phew! Finally! So much for god of intelligence. tongue
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 6:18pm On Jul 17, 2012
Tgirl4real: Hehehehe... Lasgidi grin

Phew! Finally! So much for god of intelligence. tongue

It is nothing to do with my intelligence. You needed deliverance from God of Explanation first. tongue grin
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Tgirl4real(f): 7:40pm On Jul 17, 2012
Hehehehe

U will always have an explanation.

Nice meeting u Sagamite. cheesy
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Sep 15, 2013
[size=3pt]i do not think that the length of courtship has anything to do at all with a successful marriage[/size] smiley
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 1:41pm On Sep 15, 2013
Sybellah: [size=3pt]i do not think that the length of courtship has anything to do at all with a successful marriage[/size] smiley

How long did you court for before marriage? 3 weeks? tongue grin

1 Like

Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Sep 15, 2013
Sagamite:

How long did you court for before marriage? 3 weeks? tongue grin

aha u dey ask me a very complicated question oga, can I pass? grin lol

[size=3pt]i aint married yet [/size] tongue
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by meine: 10:34am On Sep 16, 2013
@ Sagamite

Some of your conclusions are wrong even though i respect some of your views.

Have you ever asked if our parents courted for donkey years before marriage? Yet the divorce rate was low. Men simply ask the brides father to give their daughters to nurture! In those days people knew their responsibilities and their priorities were well defined. Girls knew how to keep their legs together,men knew they must take care of their wives. grin NO games. Most wives grew to love the man they married and they are still together till date.

When 2 adults who know what they want meet,length of courtship doesn't matter. What works for MR A may not work for MR B. Overall, Integrity,flexibility and giving are the keys to success in marriage. Age also has a role to play in courtship, a guy who wants to date a 30 year old girl for 1 year before making up his mind to marry her isn't doing the girl any good,within one month a smart guy will know whether she is good for him or not no matter how she pretends. And for starters a marriage material wont even pretend,so there goes your first clue! If she is below 25 in fact you can court her for 5 years like sagamite holy book says.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Sagamite(m): 11:04am On Sep 16, 2013
meine: @ Sagamite

Some of your conclusions are wrong even though i respect some of your views.

Have you ever asked if our parents courted for donkey years before marriage? Yet the divorce rate was low. Men simply ask the brides father to give their daughters to nurture! In those days people knew their responsibilities and their priorities were well defined. Girls knew how to keep their legs together,men knew they must take care of their wives. grin NO games. Most wives grew to love the man they married and they are still together till date.

Nope, homie! You are wrong.

The reasons divorce rates are low amongst our parents despite short courtships are mainly:

1) Most women accepted men would cheat and a typical woman tolerated it as long as he does not flash it in her face. Just come home, don't marry the other woman and make sure you take care of your primary kids.

2) Most women were not financially independent enough to leave. They were generally less educated than the men and they had poorer paying jobs due to the sexist nature of the society.

3) Societal and cultural pressures were high on the women and sufficient enough to force most of them to accept "that is what men do". A woman leaving would have even her own mother dragging her back to her married home as long as there is no evidence of him beating her too much, if he is beating her a bit then it is obviously her fault in such African cultural perspective. undecided

The women stayed. The men were happy to stay in the marriage because they were having their moi-moi and eating it.

So, mate, marriage longevity is not evidence of marriage success.

meine:
When 2 adults who know what they want meet,length of courtship doesn't matter. What works for MR A may not work for MR B. Overall, Integrity,flexibility and giving are the keys to success in marriage. Age also has a role to play in courtship, a guy who wants to date a 30 year old girl for 1 year before making up his mind to marry her isn't doing the girl any good,within one month a smart guy will know whether she is good for him or not no matter how she pretends. And for starters a marriage material wont even pretend,so there goes your first clue! If she is below 25 in fact you can court her for 5 years like sagamite holy book says.

This is utter rubbish!

You will never know anyone in one month, worse still be able to delineate between who is genuine and pretending ESPECIALLY when it comes to a woman over the big 3-0 desperately searching for husband.

NO WAY IN HELL would you get to know her well in 1 month. Not even if you are both jobless and co-habiting.

Of course it is not doing the girl any good but it is not doing the guy any good not assessing what he is committing his life to well.

From the above line guess whom's of the 2 contradicting benefit concerns me most?

Yeah, the guy because that is MY benefit. Let her handle hers.
Re: Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Sep 16, 2013
Sagamite:

So, mate, marriage longevity is not evidence of marriage success.

True talk.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Goes Into Naming A Child / Managing Resources As Newly Married Couples. / How Should I Handle Friends Requesting For Loan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.