Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,142 members, 7,829,082 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV (35728 Views)

Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat / How Would You Rate GEJ's Presidential Media Chat? / GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jun 24, 2012
Dpeacemaker101: The president has assured us of a better nigeria, in all sectors of the economy and has no issues appearing @ the national assembly, that is enough to tell every reasonable citizen of this country that GEJ is committed to the good course of this nation and is willing to lead our good country to the promised land. We should ignore oppositions who try to make this an issue and mislead our fellow country men. One year is still early to start making blames and unconstructive criticisms, he has started it and he has promised to do better things.
u need to visit d psychatrist....no sane person...after d over one thousand lives we hav lost in just one year of d retardeen's tenure,wud b easily bought by sweet words...if only u live in yobe or borno or kaduna..where u aint even sure of seeing tomoro..yet ur president tells u dat he wont allow dat grind his govt....he still sleeps well,gets paid so well..and travels...of what relevance is ur welfare to him? Yet u seat der n say we shud giv him mur tym...u r so inept
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jun 24, 2012
ekwah:

How can an educated man say this Is appointing ministers = Renaming an institution? nawa for u o.

But your president with a PhD said same procedure for declaring state of emergency is applicable to renaming institution. WHy not say nawa for GEJ o?
Why not ask GEJ if renaming institution= declaration of state of emergency? Is your president educated?
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by shakomende: 10:14pm On Jun 24, 2012
Summary:

Presidential Media Chat: Jonathan discusses security, oil subsidy probe, power, others

President Goodluck Jonathan of Nigeria met with select representatives of top Nigerian media organizations this evening at 7pm (WAT). During the media chat, he discussed various issues facing Nigeria ranging from Boko Haram to the renaming of University of Lagos to Moshood Abiola University.

President Jonathan emphasized his government determination to quell the Boko Haram scourge and increase the level of security in the country. When quizzed on his recent trip to Brazil despite several on-going bomb attacks around the country, he emphasised that his government was determined to continue with its day to day activities and obligations despite Boko Haram’s efforts at crippling his government.

In his own words:

Nigeria will continue to move forward, Boko Haram or no Boko Haram. Boko Haram cannot stop Nigeria. We must stop Boko Haram.

He maintained that his Government will continue to function despite the attacks as doing otherwise might send wrong signals on the state of affairs in Nigeria to investors.

Bomb attacks in Damaturu should not prevent the Government from travelling and sends a negative signal to the international community, he said.

When quizzed on the oil subsidy probe, President Jonathan maintained that his government is determined to keep the process as transparent as possible which is why he brought in people like Mallam Nuhu Ribadu to oversee the process.

On power, he encouraged Nigerians to be patient and that his government is currently in on-going discussions with top foreign companies. He assured Nigerians that the power tariff is designed to benefit poorer members of the society and that they will actually pay less under the new tariff system. Poorer citizens will be subsidized by charging wealthier citizens more, he explained. He noted that the power sector is particularly important to him as it affects other crucial sectors such as information technology. ”You cannot talk about Internet penetration in the country without power. If care is not taken, we would lose out of the IT revolution. For one to have IT, we must have power,” he said. He also emphasized that his Government is making significant strides in other sectors, particularly transportation where they have made progress in laying rails to kickstart the national railway project.

On the declaration of his assets, President Jonathan maintained that he would not do so as a matter of principal as he did not see it as an area of priority given the nation’s current challenges.

It is not the President declaring his assets that will cure Boko Haram, he said.

On the renaming of University of Lagos to Moshood Abiola University, he said:

“Most of the top universities in the world are named after people…Harvard and others. The change was made in line with Nigerian laws especially the ones relating to naming and change of name of an Institution”

On youth and jobs, President Jonathan asserted that his government will continue to institute programs that will provide opportunities for the nation’s youths such as the Al Majiri Education program in the North and You Win.

Government is working hard. We have a young population. We must stimulate the economic environment for growth to take place. Some of our YouWin youths can become the Dangotes and Otedolas of tomorrow, he said.
http://www.cp-africa.com/2012/06/24/presidential-media-chat-jonathan-discusses-security-oil-subsidy-probe-power-others/
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jun 24, 2012
Thank you for the summary.
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Kobojunkie: 10:18pm On Jun 24, 2012
shakomende:
On the declaration of his assets, President Jonathan maintained that he would not do so as a matter of principal as he did not see it as an area of priority given the nation’s current challenges.
It is not the President declaring his assets that will cure Boko Haram, he said.

This is the part that gets me. Why did he try to link asset declaration to Boko Haram? If every other elected leader out there decided to take the same part to dealing with issues . . . yes, it is ok to keep all information private because it will not cure the Boko Haram problem . . . how exactly are we going to be TRANSPARENT in our dealings? He signed FOI into law but something it is WRONG for people to inquire about information that should also be accessible by the same laws he signed? If CCB can declare that it is not bound by FOI, what stops other National agencies from making the same claim? And how, again, TRANSPARENT are we at the end of the day?

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jun 24, 2012
Kobojunkie:

It doesn't have to be the same, but there are laws guiding the process that need to be UPHELD. I know a lot of you have no UNDERSTANDING of why it is IMPORTANT to ABIDE BY THE LAW for a saner tommorow, but I would suggest you please get yourself educated on the set protocols for these things.

At least for the sake of your children/unborn Children, please read your Constitution.
http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

you berra sharap! before I shat dat mouth for u angry Did you hear what GEJ said at all? U go through the constitution and tell what was said exactly about renaming institutions. Everything will be reversed if only the national assembly does not support the already taken move. Is that too difficult for you to understand?!! I no dey like all these I-too-know people wey no go calm down and understand something before they argue. There is NOTHING ILLEGAL ABOUT GEJ's move! It only becomes illegal when the GEJ upholds his decision even when the national assembly opposes it within a stipulated period!
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jun 24, 2012
On the renaming of University of Lagos to Moshood Abiola University, he said:

“Most of the top universities in the world are named after people…Harvard and others. The change was made in line with Nigerian laws especially the ones relating to naming and change of name of an Institution”

How does this answer the question??
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Kobojunkie: 10:22pm On Jun 24, 2012
ekwah:

you berra sharap! before I shat dat mouth for u angry Did you hear what GEJ said at all? U go through the constitution and tell what was said exactly about renaming institutions. Everything will be reversed if only the national assembly does not support the already taken move. Is that too difficult for you to understand?!! I no dey like all these I-too-know people wey no go calm down and understand something before they argue. There is NOTHING ILLEGAL ABOUT GEJ's move! It only becomes illegal when the GEJ upholds his decision even when the national assembly opposes it within a stipulated period!

Grow a brain!! Learn what your Constitution says so you can intelligently weigh what you hear with what the law actually says. Again, if you not for your sake but at least for the sake of the children you intend to plop unto this earth.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jun 24, 2012
bayooooooo:

But your president with a PhD said same procedure for declaring state of emergency is applicable to renaming institution. WHy not say nawa for GEJ o?
Why not ask GEJ if renaming institution= declaration of state of emergency? Is your president educated?

Well that case is applicable of course. Your example about 'appointing ministers' was a bad one. simple. The President was right.
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by nagoma(m): 10:29pm On Jun 24, 2012
oddy4real:
And how many of your AC-HEN 'saints' have declared their assets openly too?

You sincerely believe that ACN should take the lead in this civic responsibility and not the president?
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jun 24, 2012
[b]On power, he encouraged Nigerians to be patient and that his government is currently in on-going discussions with top foreign companies. [/b]He assured Nigerians that the power tariff is designed to benefit poorer members of the society and that they will actually pay less under the new tariff system. Poorer citizens will be subsidized by charging wealthier citizens more, he explained. He noted that the power sector is particularly important to him as it affects other crucial sectors such as information technology. ”You cannot talk about Internet penetration in the country without power. If care is not taken, we would lose out of the IT revolution. For one to have IT, we must have power,” he said. He also emphasized that his Government is making significant strides in other sectors, particularly transportation where they have made progress in laying rails to kickstart the national railway project.

How many "top foreign companies" will we have to get through to actually get stabilized power?

And FHI, Power is not the only thing he be concerned about when talking about IT-revolution
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jun 24, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Grow a brain!! Learn what your Constitution says so you can intelligently weight what you hear with what the law actually says. Again, if you not for your sake but at least for the sake of the children you intend to plop unto this earth.

Kobobrainke Tell me what the law says about renaming an institution. Tell me why u are so out to prove u are right! For Heaven's sake how's Gej's move against the rule of law in that regards? How?? I tire for u o? and please make u no talk about kids again, I don warn u. angry Since u are more knowledgeable than everyone else on nairaland. mtcheew.
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by werepeLeri: 10:31pm On Jun 24, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

How does this answer the question??

You only quoted part of his answers.

In case you went to sleep or your hearing aid dropped. He also said, the NASS has the right to accept or reject the change of name, and if they reject it, the name goes back to what it was before. Na wa o- making every effort to discredit the man.
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by werepeLeri: 10:32pm On Jun 24, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

How many "top foreign companies" will we have to get through to actually get stabilized power?

And FHI, Power is not the only thing he be concerned about when talking about IT-revolution

Another failed attempt. Hearing aid dropped again.
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jun 24, 2012
werepeLeri:

Another failed attempt. Hearing aid dropped again.

No explanation this time? Or you have nothing to say to cushion his fall?
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Kobojunkie: 10:33pm On Jun 24, 2012
ekwah:

Kobobrainke Tell me what the law says about renaming an institution. Tell me why u are so out to prove u are right! For Heaven's sake how's Gej's move against the rule of law in that regards? How?? I tire for u o? and please make u no talk about kids again, I don warn u. angry Since u are more knowledgeable than everyone else on nairaland. mtcheew.

Again . . .
Kobojunkie:

Grow a brain!! Learn what your Constitution says so you can intelligently weigh what you hear with what the law actually says. Again, if you not for your sake but at least for the sake of the children you intend to plop unto this earth.
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by werepeLeri: 10:34pm On Jun 24, 2012
So many failed attempt to discredit a man. mtcheewww - even dullards can quote a constitution. Knowing how to quote the constitution is not the same as knowing how to interpret.
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Yinkay: 10:37pm On Jun 24, 2012
From FB
Channels Television
‎#presidentialmediachat:"When I took over as president, I told my friends that people will abuse me till 2012 but 2013 they will see result" - President Jonathan
Like · · Share · 264 · about an hour ago ·
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by hillsate: 10:38pm On Jun 24, 2012
I have been justified. The media chat was well tailored.
Truth is there was no answer GEJ gave that any nigerian 18yrs and above woulndt have answered same.
Did i actually hear him say "i dont give a damn"? A president? na wa o.
Calls didnt go through because a filter was used and only the arranged callers could call. All the static sound with seemly network issues with the calls was arranged too. can you imagine that the guy that called was talking about YOUWIN program? I bet you no unprepped nigerian would call and be talking about YOUWIN.
All the media chat was a charade.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by lacasa: 10:38pm On Jun 24, 2012
willarrie: hw come all Τ̲̅ђε̲ calls did'nt go tru? Dis al planned coz ‎​ℓ̊ bet no caller will say anytin nice to gej.

Exactly.

Itz obvious D̶̲̥̅̊aτ̲̅ D̶̲̥̅̊ whole tin was scripted.

D̶̲̥̅̊aτ̲̅s Ɣ he couldn't face buhari/shekarau/ribadu in a debate

Incompetence personified.
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by lacasa: 10:39pm On Jun 24, 2012
hillsate: I have been justified. The media chat was well tailored.
Truth is there was no answer GEJ gave that any nigerian 18yrs and above woulndt have answered same.
Calls didnt go through because a filter was used and only the arranged callers could call. All the static sound with seemly network issues with the calls was arranged too. can you imagine that the guy that called was talking about YOUWIN program? I bet you no unprepped nigerian would call and be talking about YOUWIN.

Gbam
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jun 24, 2012
If it was scripted, then they should have at least couched him on public speaking.
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Maj196(m): 10:40pm On Jun 24, 2012
na wetin dis guy dey talk abeg
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jun 24, 2012
ekwah:

Well that case is applicable of course. Your example about 'appointing ministers' was a bad one. simple. The President was right.

Nope the president was wrong.

1. To appoint Ministers into his cabinet, he needs the NASS to approve his nominated candidates. Why didn't he appoint such ministers and then said if their nominations were not cleared by Senate, they would leave his government?

2. Nobody can unilaterally amend an Act of Parliament. If the NASS amends such an act and the president assents to it, it becomes a law, an enforceable pronouncement that's binding on all and sundry. Instead of going through the NASS, your president decided in his own decisive decision to make a pronouncement before reverting to the house. That's not rule of law.

When your president was asked to explain why that happened, he justified it on the alter of emergency declaration where it is actually proper to declare for instance state of emergency in a state or part of Nigeria before seeking approval of the house.

How renaming an institution becomes declaration of state of emergency is beyond comprehension.

Now the question to him is if he can justify renaming of an institution established by an act of parliament without NASS approval, why can't he extend similar procedure to appointing ministers?
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by hillsate: 10:42pm On Jun 24, 2012
I have been justified. The media chat was well tailored.
Calls didnt go through because a filter was used and only the arranged callers could call. All the static sound with seemly network issues with the calls was arranged too. can you imagine that the guy that called was talking about YOUWIN program at this point? I bet you no unprepped nigerian would call and be talking about YOUWIN.
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by comm: 10:43pm On Jun 24, 2012
Clerverly: Why is that woman Journalist laughing like a she-goat
because she stands for female, i thought u knew. Sha she = female= woman as well
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jun 24, 2012
Calls didnt go through because a filter was used and only the arranged callers could call. All the static sound with seemly network issues with the calls was arranged too. can you imagine that the guy that called was talking about YOUWIN program at this point? I bet you no unprepped nigerian would call and be talking about YOUWIN.

It was a charade.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jun 24, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Again . . .

You just proved yourself as a very arrogant person. angry Don't allow your spite for Jonathan prevent you from thinking clearly. The annoying thing is you keep making very stupid claims about the so-called 'rule of law' Jonathan ignored as if there is one specific line which clearly states what the president should do in very very economically insignificant moves like renaming a university. You are annoying me seriously. 'for the sake of the children you intend to plop unto this earth.' I will ignore this angry.
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by macob(m): 10:47pm On Jun 24, 2012
Even when GEJ is busy making noise on the air, a bomb blast has occurred at People's Club Hotel, Bayan Gari, Bauchi where soccer fans usually gather to watch football.
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Kobojunkie: 10:47pm On Jun 24, 2012
Found it . . . Thanks to Representative Abike Dabiri-Erewa . . . .(not sure if she is still a Rep)

[size=13pt]1. The Code of Conduct Bureau[/size] shall comprise the following members:
(a) a Chairman; and

(b) nine other members, each of whom, at the time of appointment, shall not be less than fifty years of age and subject to the provisions of section 157 of this Constitution shall vacate his office on attaining the age of seventy years.

2. The Bureau shall establish such offices in each state of the Federation as it may require for the discharge of its functions under this Constitution.

[size=14pt]3. The Bureau shall have power to:

(a) receive declarations by public officers made under paragraph 12 of Part I of the Fifth Schedule to this Constitution;

(b) examine the declarations in accordance with the requirements of the Code of Conduct or any law;

(c) retain custody of such declarations and make them available for inspection by any citizen of Nigeria on such terms and conditions as the National Assembly may prescribe;

[/size]
(d) ensure compliance with and, where appropriate, enforce the provisions of the Code of Conduct of any law relating thereto;

(e) receive complaints about non-compliance with or breach of the provisions of the Code of Conduct or any law in relation thereto, investigate the complaint and, where appropriate, refer such matters to the Code of Conduct Tribunal;

(f) appoint, promote, dismiss and exercise disciplinary control over the staff of the Codes of Conduct Bureau in accordance with the provisions of an Act of the National Assembly enacted in that behalf; and

(g) carry out such other functions as may be conferred upon it by the National Assembly.

The terms and conditions of service of the staff of the Code of Conduct Bureau shall be the same as those provided for public officers in the civil service of the Federation.

So, for those who do not know. This information is supposed to be available to Nigerians. The current terms and conditions prescribed are in the FOI, since no exceptions are provided in there for this declaration, the information can be accessed by, you guessed it, any Nigerian.
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by werepeLeri: 10:48pm On Jun 24, 2012

Justified as being silly- for real. Justified indeed.
Re: GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jun 24, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
If it was scripted, then they should have at least couched him on public speaking.

Why are you wasting your time arguing with these paid agents? undecided

You're needed in the culture section.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (21) (Reply)

Herdsmen: Youths, Women Protest Nude In Anambra / Presidency Backs El-rufai, Says Peter Obi Deported Northerners From Anambra / Yerima: There Was No Agreement To Hand Over Presidency To Tinubu After Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.