Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,567 members, 7,816,386 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods (9939 Views)

Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles / How Driving Through Water Affects Cars / Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Nobody: 11:07am On Jun 28, 2012
trisurface: Always remember the Golden Rule for Driving in Rain:
When approaching an unfamiliar road or flooded road, Always Allow The Car Behind You To Overtake wink
smiley i do this all the time
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by RichDad1(m): 11:07am On Jun 28, 2012
Babzilla: U Lagos people need to start considering building ur houses on sticks and poles then moving around in boats. cool

Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by bigv(m): 11:07am On Jun 28, 2012
Thumbs up NL...but all these advice depends on the depth of the water. For instance if the water depth is shallow, u might not need to turn off the A/C. However, there are some cars such as the hummer bus that is affected by little depth of water. In any case when driving through a water logged area, for manual cars, its advisable to use a low gear and for auto cars, turtle lightly but steadily...Thanks y'all

1 Like

Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by calabaman(m): 11:38am On Jun 28, 2012
ayo jango: D flood in Ajah is TERRIBLE, its like a river pls OP when u say steam d engine wat does it imply
It means leave the engine on for a while when you get to your destination
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by member479760: 11:44am On Jun 28, 2012
and some people wan divide this country just for selfish interest. where we go ran to in 50 years from now? na north and we are still Nigerians, we no go be refugee.
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by otokx(m): 12:04pm On Jun 28, 2012
wow
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by lawizle(m): 12:22pm On Jun 28, 2012
Nwoka: I'm a learner,and I've been seriously avoiding floods,but with your tips...the ginger is high!!

Smh...I pity u
U & ur car go tun to fish
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by wonderz(m): 12:24pm On Jun 28, 2012
It will be interesting to see some picture of cars in the flood... Just joking!!!!! cheesy
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by lioncoolst(m): 12:46pm On Jun 28, 2012
wonderz: It will be interesting to see some picture of cars in the flood... Just joking!!!!! cheesy
You are not joking. You are only being careful about what you say here so that someone will not misinterpret your motive.
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by juleze(f): 1:10pm On Jun 28, 2012
Xolokristo: The Rains are down, Lagos is flooded, Akoka is sinking,
I pray there are no casualties!
On a serious note which area is free from flood in Lagos?
Festac!
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Reference(m): 1:34pm On Jun 28, 2012
juleze:
Festac!

Really. That place is below sea level.
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jun 28, 2012
I said and I said it Lagos is a crazy place with lots of crazy people. Whenever there is a flood what do normal human beings do? they either evacuate the area, wait to be evacuated, or get a boat. simple . Only in Lagos will a man attempt to drive his car through water like its a speedboat or a submarine tongue
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by cecegorz(m): 2:24pm On Jun 28, 2012
The basic reason why you get your windscreen fogged during rains, causing poor visibility is as a result of temperature difference between the car interior and the atmosphere.
Since the atmospheric temp is cooler, the warmer air inside the vehicles vaporizes by the wind screen, causing the fog.
While there's a fog lamp to dry out the rear wind shield, there is none for the front, So your best bet is when you get to a stand still or to a flood free location, put on the AC and chill the interior below the atmospheric temperature to clear out the fogs in front, or better still use the good old manual towel wiping process.
Enjoy your driving in the rain.
I love it so much! cool
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by ayojango(m): 4:13pm On Jun 28, 2012
ifyalways: The Island is totally messed up.I NEVER drive when its raining and i seriously don't envy my driver now.
Nice thread.

But its ur Car,ur driver has nothing to lose
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by PetroG1: 4:19pm On Jun 28, 2012
I have people that are brilliant are well informed. Good job for the guy that took his time to lecture us reasons, we should all switch off the AC.
They only told us in our CPY during Health and Safety meeting, which wasnt analysed. i once told my boyfriend and he argued it out that his AC is always on. I was not well informed sha.....
Thanks Its a great thread.
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by helphelp: 7:16pm On Jun 28, 2012
boladez: It has been raining since 2am in most parts of lagos and from Accu weather satellite pictures it seems it is a tropical rainstorm. There a flash floods even on major roads. Hope ya all are fine and not too badly impacted? The truth is , any one who has no serious business outside should work from home today.

Please drive with care and use the following tips as you wade through the flood waters

1. Switch off your AC and ventilate the car by rolling down your windows (Secure level)
2. Avoid speeding through water as you may loose traction and control
3. Drive with steady movement and do not attempt to rev the engine inside flood water it increases the prospects of displaced water going through electrical and other systems
4. Avoid jerky movements
5. Pray to your God!
6. When you get through, do not attempt to speed and dry the engine immediately because you would have lost a great level of efficiency in your braking system, avoid using your horn until it is dry and avoid using your AC and other external electrical stuff until they are dry
7. When you get to your destination try and steam your vehicle for a few minutes to allow all the necessary components to dry off

Just in case the vehicle stalls. it is safer to stay inside to avoid water entering your car and wait for help to push out the vehicle. Do not attempt to start the car or use it until it is checked by a mechanic or certified engineer

I drove through the flood at car wash Iyana oworo inward Lagos island.......it was baaaad saw all sorts of new cars and old and even a CRV dead in the water.

Wish you safe motoring and my heart goes out to those who are already impacted.

Dis should be number 1 ----------->5. Pray to your God!

Good one though, drove through it around 3am too...From Luth gate to Ilasa...It was really bad...I am sulking now sef
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by helphelp: 7:18pm On Jun 28, 2012
Rich Dad:

Chei....beht why now Wizardry
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by ayemerbarth: 5:24pm On Jul 01, 2012
Erosion in Benin city is almost bcoming a thing of t'he past as d' comrade Governor is tacklin it seriously. God bless Oshiobaba.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tanker Traffic On Costain Axis And Bridge / How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works / Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.