Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,885 members, 7,824,701 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

The Entrepreneur's Manual - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Entrepreneur's Manual (21774 Views)

The Entrepreneur: Who Delivers The Best Result With Online Product Marketing? / ANALYSED COST OF RUNNING A PURE WATER BUSINESS IN NIGERIA + START-UP MANUAL / The Entrepreneur's Mindset For Naija (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 8:45am On Jul 18, 2012
Undabridge: So you mean I shud assign one page each for wot you've outlined above for me.

Exactly!
Maximum of 7 unclustered pages.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by diehard(m): 2:10pm On Jul 18, 2012
am interested in running a document processing business (business centre). have been for a long time now. problem is, i get discouraging feedback from people that i shouldnt: too capital intensive and no good profit. please can you say something about it. thanks.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 6:07pm On Jul 18, 2012
[code][/code]
diehard: am interested in running a document processing business (business centre). have been for a long time now. problem is, i get discouraging feedback from people that i shouldnt: too capital intensive and no good profit. please can you say something about it. thanks.

Rule No 1 : Never seek advice from someone who doesn't even have an idea of where their life is heading to.

I.E, never ask a jobless man or white collar job about business ideas or being an entrepreneur.
Also don't take a 'dream' to a man who has no life. So many people just live but they don't exist.

Business Centre : could be a highly lucrative or dishearteneing investment.

Depending on some circumstances. You could either make money or loose money.

Somethings needs to be considered befor investing in the business.

Capital : yes owning a business centre might be quite capital intensive because you need to buy a photocopy machine, at least one desktop computer, scanner, binding machine, stabilizer, fan (or a/c), furniture and of course generator.

Before you invest in such a business consider the following;

* Location :Investing in a densely populated BUSINESS/COMMERCIAL location I.e, University or polythecnic, one federal or state ministry, business populated location e.g Broad Streed, Marina, V/island and the rest might be of immence reward.

On the otherhand, if you have free access to a property, you can have it in a sparsly populated area or an estate where even though such is needed, one can hardly get anywhere within the location to get such service.

To be above the game, you could have two or three computers with internet connections to charge people who might be in need of an internet service. Also you could include photography, for those who might need passport photogrph. Don't forget to also help to register American visa lottery applicant, waec, jamb, neco and the rest candidates.

This will surely keep you ahead of the game.

All the best.

4 Likes

Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by diehard(m): 3:27pm On Jul 19, 2012
For me, the ideal location has been my challenge (because i know the equipments & appliances will be procured bit by bit). I desire an outfit that is very professional in outlook, thus i went scouting the govt secretariats in town (PHC)- Fed, State and Local council secretariats. They all had adopted a policy to drive out such businesses out of their premises, on the grounds of security. I never really fancied campuses (i checked out RSUST). my reason being that it will render my business to a seasonal one (you kno, no business if school is on break or strike).
The need to get busy with a business is simply great, and becos buying and selling isnt what i'm good at, i am quite comfortable with the biz centre save for this surmountable challenge.

Don't forget to also help to register American visa lottery applicant, waec, jamb, neco and the rest candidates.
great idea also, thanks.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 5:55pm On Jul 19, 2012
Not allowing the business centreswithin government secretariats is even a gold mine for you getting a shop spAce just some few steps outside the gate of such places.

Don't forget people will always need to fill out one form or photocopy another while having dealins in such places.

If there's no place within the secretariate to do such, they will always be forced to come out for your service.

All the best.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by yamakuza: 7:31pm On Jul 19, 2012
diehard: For me, the ideal location has been my challenge (because i know the equipments & appliances will be procured bit by bit). I desire an outfit that is very professional in outlook, thus i went scouting the govt secretariats in town (PHC)- Fed, State and Local council secretariats. They all had adopted a policy to drive out such businesses out of their premises, on the grounds of security. I never really fancied campuses (i checked out RSUST). my reason being that it will render my business to a seasonal one (you kno, no business if school is on break or strike).
The need to get busy with a business is simply great, and becos buying and selling isnt what i'm good at, i am quite comfortable with the biz centre save for this surmountable challenge.

Don't forget to also help to register American visa lottery applicant, waec, jamb, neco and the rest candidates.
great idea also, thanks.

hotels could also be another location to consider, with the benefit of free/steady gen power.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 12:19am On Jul 20, 2012
yamakuza:

hotels could also be another location to consider, with the benefit of free/steady gen power.

Thats if he/she reaches an agreement with the hotel owner.

Most Hotels always have their inhouse Business centre/internet cafe.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by yamakuza: 2:42am On Jul 20, 2012
acidtalk:

Thats if he/she reaches an agreement with the hotel owner.

Most Hotels always have their inhouse Business centre/internet cafe.

true that, esp if its going to be located within the premises, and not an adjoining shop.

i've seen hotels advertise for people to come and run/establish their in-house business centers for them. even on NL.

smiley
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 9:10am On Jul 20, 2012
yamakuza:

true that, esp if its going to be located within the premises, and not an adjoining shop.

i've seen hotels advertise for people to come and run/establish their in-house business centers for them. even on NL.

smiley

Don't also forget businesses like that within a Hotel are not really likely to move that fast. Except of course the hotel is located within a business ditrict like Victoria Island in Lagos.

Most Customers will use their laptops, tablets or phones to surf the net.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by yamakuza: 9:50am On Jul 20, 2012
acidtalk:

Don't also forget businesses like that within a Hotel are not really likely to move that fast. Except of course the hotel is located within a business ditrict like Victoria Island in Lagos.

Most Customers will use their laptops, tablets or phones to surf the net.

i'm not saying an hotel is the best location. i'm just saying its an option.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by Wislet(f): 10:11am On Jul 20, 2012
beautiful topic.
Not the trubalism nonsens always put up on this site.

Oga acidtalk, i never knew u were good like dis ooo.
I for don engage u for lessons tay tay.
Carry go jare.

I go come for my own later...when am ready.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 10:12am On Jul 20, 2012
yamakuza:

i'm not saying an hotel is the best location. i'm just saying its an option.

Please don't get me wrong.
I didn't dispute it wasn't good option, was only trying to point out the disadvantage of having one within a hotel.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by ezstino: 11:10am On Jul 20, 2012
thanks bro for this invaluable lessons so far. i want to run a bulk sms website. please i will like hear your advice on this especially on the best way to get the market fot this kind of product. again, is there any other business you think that might go hand in hand with the bulk sms stuff. thank you in advance
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by nitrogen(m): 11:42am On Jul 20, 2012
*subscribing*
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 7:00pm On Jul 20, 2012
Wislet: beautiful topic.
Not the trubalism nonsens always put up on this site.

Oga acidtalk, i never knew u were good like dis ooo.
I for don engage u for lessons tay tay.
Carry go jare.

I go come for my own later...when am ready.

Both of us lecture will be in a quite and serene place devoid of the preying eyes of all these amebo people.

Well let's just say this is part of the serious side of acidtalk people don't know. Also maybe my 2cents of trying to help people in my own little way.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 7:36pm On Jul 20, 2012
ezstino: thanks bro for this invaluable lessons so far. i want to run a bulk sms website. please i will like hear your advice on this especially on the best way to get the market fot this kind of product. again, is there any other business you think that might go hand in hand with the bulk sms stuff. thank you in advance

Bulk sms seems to be a very lucrative business as people are in continuos high need for marketing tools.

Get your customers first I.e, church, political parties/candidates, heavy consumable goods manufacturers and the rest. They are most like to be your good customers.

You can include web hosting along side the bulk sms business.

Will drop some more insights later.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by Sirniyeh(m): 8:18pm On Jul 20, 2012
Hello madam acidtalk,
Are you base in lagos? Sorry for such question! Well, it's all about a serious and an urgent enquiry as regard feasibility study towards my business proposal.
No doubt that you'll have seen some different sport tabloid, like chelsea, Arsenal etc. All I interested in is the printer or the printing press that carries out such good web-printing jobs. I'm proposing venturing into publication and I need a good printer of such to carry out my product. Do you know them or anyone in Lagos or Ibadan.
?
Thanks a lot.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by Ohislee(m): 8:21pm On Jul 20, 2012
[size=16pt][/size]Followed smiley
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 8:51pm On Jul 20, 2012
Sirniyeh: Hello madam acidtalk,
Are you base in lagos? Sorry for such question! Well, it's all about a serious and an urgent enquiry as regard feasibility study towards my business proposal.
No doubt that you'll have seen some different sport tabloid, like chelsea, Arsenal etc. All I interested in is the printer or the printing press that carries out such good web-printing jobs. I'm proposing venturing into publication and I need a good printer of such to carry out my product. Do you know them or anyone in Lagos or Ibadan.
?
Thanks a lot.

I will give you a very good Graphic Deisgn for your magazine layout and also introduce you to very reliable and truthworthy printer (who runs his own printing press as well).
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by BarrJules: 9:41pm On Jul 20, 2012
Acidtalk I realy love dis topic cos I hv always drmt of being one of d biggest enterpreneurs eva existed. I wnt to be an interior decorator and an occasion planner.I jst finished my NYSC and I saved smal mny for it bt d problem is I nid to learn unda smeone for smetym to perfect in it.I thank u so much for dis lesson for it has motivated me so much. grin
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by jhydebaba(m): 9:52pm On Jul 20, 2012
Paper work can be interesting but really, going to the field and getting ur fingers burnt is heart breaking. Nice thread though.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 10:54pm On Jul 20, 2012
Barr Jules: Acidtalk I realy love dis topic cos I hv always drmt of being one of d biggest enterpreneurs eva existed. I wnt to be an interior decorator and an occasion planner.I jst finished my NYSC and I saved smal mny for it bt d problem is I nid to learn unda smeone for smetym to perfect in it.I thank u so much for dis lesson for it has motivated me so much. grin

Interior designing and event planning is very lucrative and will remain so till eternity.

Right now i cant vouch for anyone in who i can refer you to go learn under.

Not that i dont know a couple of people in that field, its only that if i am refering you, i should be refering you to the best hands.

One thing and one thing you really need to make it in this field is NETWORKING.

It is who you know that will get you going.

Just try a few searches of top interior designers in Nigeria.

and if you find anyone that best suits you, you can contact them to learn under them.

All the best.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by Wislet(f): 11:16pm On Jul 20, 2012
acidtalk:

Both of us lecture will be in a quite and serene place devoid of the preying eyes of all these amebo people.

Well let's just say this is part of the serious side of acidtalk people don't know. Also maybe my 2cents of trying to help people in my own little way.
cool.
May i have u email addy?
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by mgolo(m): 11:23pm On Jul 20, 2012
Photography workshops will take place in yaba,lagos in August,2012.

Small class setting.
Booking and details:
freelance4me@yahoo.com
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by sheuzee: 12:34am On Jul 21, 2012
@ acidtalk.hi.very educative contribution u hv made on this forum.am an IT inclined person.actually registered a business name so I cn pull strings 4 my Self.some of the things are do networking,structured cabling,sales and repair of computer systems and laptos,maintenace.my biggest challenge is how to effectivley get my clients.I dnt have an office so I work form home.

Another thing is that I was oppotuned to get someone import a large quantity of american steel doors and very nice home and office furnitures.my problem is havnt made any serious sales.tried getting a showroom on d island to display them but to no avail.and also d doors.I just need advice on how to go about all this businesses I have cos a lot of people are doin well in them.anyway you can help me out pls
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by envee(f): 3:41am On Jul 21, 2012
acidtalk:

Can you give a brief details of what you were into, how you got started, how many years you spent in the business and how you decided to fold it up. That way it might be very easy to inspire you to get started again.

Thanks for your response.

Back when I was in my 3rd year in the university, I ventured into Wall designs for 3 yrs. Most ppl call it Interior decor but my major focus was on the Walls. It involved the use of wall paint to design walls which sighted after completion, ur first guess would be that its a Wall Paper except u try touching the wall to get the real idea. I used to change into my overall, get on the ladder and paint.
It wasn't lady-like at all,neither was it capital intensive. I easily got my inspirations on designs from the internet, fabrics, tv shows, blankets, ceramics, floor carpets, mugs etc...anything at all. Designing a wall sometimes can take up to 3-4 days. Hence, a whole apartment can take up to 2weeks or less.
There were different choices from offices, lounges, baby cribs, cake shops, bedrooms etc and my major clients were new couples and some bachelors etc.

The major bottleneck(s) was that everyone loved my designs and were quite affordable but they were not willing to pay due to the Nigerian phrase (...its just a rented apartment, I'll contact you when MY house is completed).

Even the few that employed my services would beat the cost so low that I'd end up regretting why I took the contract.
I was using my time, brain and body exhaustively as it requires manual labour with little to show for it at d completion of the contract.
My approach was different, the delivery system was unique. I was painting with a difference with aim of converting your house into a HOME but my clients never appreciated my services as expected.
I resolved I hadn't found my target market which was why I was grossly underpaid and didn't get enough clients as I shd or the value for my services.

Now I just dislike it as a job.

I love painting!!! Its always been a hobby but I'll rather do it as a gift or offer.

Infact, I don't bother to visit site locations when called cos I just can't stand being begged or cajoled to accept an unreasonable sum.

2 Likes

Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 4:49am On Jul 21, 2012
sheuzee: @ acidtalk.hi.very educative contribution u hv made on this forum.am an IT inclined person.actually registered a business name so I cn pull strings 4 my Self.some of the things are do networking,structured cabling,sales and repair of computer systems and laptos,maintenace.my biggest challenge is how to effectivley get my clients.I dnt have an office so I work form home.

Another thing is that I was oppotuned to get someone import a large quantity of american steel doors and very nice home and office furnitures.my problem is havnt made any serious sales.tried getting a showroom on d island to display them but to no avail.and also d doors.I just need advice on how to go about all this businesses I have cos a lot of people are doin well in them.anyway you can help me out pls

IT careers are very rewarding and respectable, the only problem is unprofessional youngstars have bombarded the sector making it appear like an unskilled profession. Finding secondary school leavers competing to get the same contract one with CCNA, A+, MCSE and the rest has acquired.

In as much as that sector is highly competitive, I advice you to get your own nitch by getting clients in the corporate industry. Offices with regular demand for your solutions will be your best best I.e, micro finance banks, manufacturing companies, private owned schools and the rest.

Note: Don't bother paying for a office space for this kind of business. Most people are taking their business to the home/office mode.

You wonder why I adviced such? You might never have a single client ever visiting your office so why waste money?

On the Steel door and office furniture, I will advice you to first get some few customers before thinking of investing heavily in a shop space on the island.

Don't forget shop spaces on the island are very expensive.

My advice is for you to do a catalogue, and also right a good proposal whereby you can eaily show clients your samples on products through your catalogue, and if need be that they want to see samples, invite them over to the warehouse or a safe place where you have displayed some samples (I.e, someone in the same industry who have agreed to display your samples).

Whatever you decide, ensure to first have ready customers before investing in a showroom or office space.

Also you can consider selling at wholesale price to people who sell such products. Just be wary on how you willl tackle credit issues.

1 Like

Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 5:01am On Jul 21, 2012
envee:

Thanks for your response.

Back when I was in my 3rd year in the university, I ventured into Wall designs for 3 yrs. Most ppl call it Interior decor but my major focus was on the Walls. It involved the use of wall paint to design walls which sighted after completion, ur first guess would be that its a Wall Paper except u try touching the wall to get the real idea. I used to change into my overall, get on the ladder and paint.
It wasn't lady-like at all,neither was it capital intensive. I easily got my inspirations on designs from the internet, fabrics, tv shows, blankets, ceramics, floor carpets, mugs etc...anything at all. Designing a wall sometimes can take up to 3-4 days. Hence, a whole apartment can take up to 2weeks or less.
There were different choices from offices, lounges, baby cribs, cake shops, bedrooms etc and my major clients were new couples and some bachelors etc.

The major bottleneck(s) was that everyone loved my designs and were quite affordable but they were not willing to pay due to the Nigerian phrase (...its just a rented apartment, I'll contact you when MY house is completed).

Even the few that employed my services would beat the cost so low that I'd end up regretting why I took the contract.
I was using my time, brain and body exhaustively as it requires manual labour with little to show for it at d completion of the contract.
My approach was different, the delivery system was unique. I was painting with a difference with aim of converting your house into a HOME but my clients never appreciated my services as expected.
I resolved I hadn't found my target market which was why I was grossly underpaid and didn't get enough clients as I shd or the value for my services.

Now I just dislike it as a job.

I love painting!!! Its always been a hobby but I'll rather do it as a gift or offer.

Infact, I don't bother to visit site locations when called cos I just can't stand being begged or cajoled to accept an unreasonable sum.

Sweetheart, you are sitting on a GOLDMINE. Do you want to use your own hands to set you 'mine' on fire?

There is no single entrepreneur on planet heart who ever had it all smooth so don't give up....myou are close to your breakthrough.

I want to guess you have snap shots (pictures) of works you have done right?

If yes, worry no more as you have a solution.

Go online and search for the top 50 Architecture, lanscaping and interior decor firms in Nigeria. Write a comprehensive proposal and go "in person" to see the CEO of the firm or head od creativity in such company. Show them what you have got and I assure you at least 3 out of the 50 will be amazed and show great intrest in your work.

Be careful though, your collabration with them might need you getting some "legal backings" so that you don't end up being cheated at the end of the day.

A profit sharing formular between you and the architecture firm will be your best bet.

But first I will advice you to go register your business, even if its a business name for now. It won't cost more than N6,000 to do so.

Please don't give up on your dreams I beg you.

All the best....

Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by envee(f): 12:46pm On Jul 21, 2012
acidtalk:

Sweetheart, you are sitting on a GOLDMINE. Do you want to use your own hands to set you 'mine' on fire?

There is no single entrepreneur on planet heart who ever had it all smooth so don't give up....myou are close to your breakthrough.

I want to guess you have snap shots (pictures) of works you have done right?

If yes, worry no more as you have a solution.

Go online and search for the top 50 Architecture, lanscaping and interior decor firms in Nigeria. Write a comprehensive proposal and go "in person" to see the CEO of the firm or head od creativity in such company. Show them what you have got and I assure you at least 3 out of the 50 will be amazed and show great intrest in your work.

Be careful though, your collabration with them might need you getting some "legal backings" so that you don't end up being cheated at the end of the day.

A profit sharing formular between you and the architecture firm will be your best bet.

But first I will advice you to go register your business, even if its a business name for now. It won't cost more than N6,000 to do so.

Please don't give up on your dreams I beg you.

All the best....

Yes, I have snapshots in hard and soft copies.

I love your idea about the online search, proposals and the legal aspects but that's gotta mean am taking a really huge leap...! (Its scary Sir).

I had even stopped painting for a whole year (2011) and counting cos I changed my career path into Maritime and Safety. However, starting as an entrepreneur in those fields is way too capital intensive n the jobs aren't coming either.

Let's not forget the gender factor which plays a rather annoying role in my line of work (wall designs).

I promise to give it another shot using your more sophisticated approach. I pray dis thread doesn't die anytime soon cos Lord knows I'll need help. I cannot do this alone.

Thank you for your timely response OP.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by mummyA1: 12:48pm On Jul 21, 2012
Tanks F̶̲̅Õ̳͡я̅ d enlightment, A̶̲̥̅♏ in2 biz;sells of gift items like kitchen items and toys,wit low patronage. A̶̲̥̅♏ so confused,i don't knw wat †̥ do.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by elimokhai(m): 3:17pm On Jul 21, 2012
its every young mans dream to be an entrepreneur. This thread is so interesting, In 2005, after graduating from the UNI i ventured into entertainment business, I had a recording studio, with equipment worth 700k. I even had some upcoming artiste which were under my label, its like a family business, because the studio was located in my neighborhood where i grew up. I had a very big dream of selling an artiste under my label. After three years, i was still investing in the studio, changing equipment, beautification, yet nothing was coming in. The only sales made in four years was 50k. I had no other option than to quit, sold all my equipment. After then I have been dreaming BIGGER, tried writing few proposals, not sure it was well constructed though. Right now I am confuse, don't know what to venture into. I like to be my own boss. What do you advice? supplying computers, tablets, phones to companies. How do I go about it with a capital of NGN1Million?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Court Awards $10 Million Damages Against Shoprite For Contract Breach / Dollar Scarcity Stops Capital Repatriation By Investors / Clampdown: Currency Traders Petition IGP, To Write Senate, CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.