Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,263 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? (24577 Views)

Should Married Couples Have Their Separate Rooms? / Advice Urgently Needed "He's Adamant On Having Separate Rooms" / Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by tohirah(f): 8:12am On Nov 11, 2012
sheweezy:
You mean you still breastfeed your almost 2 years old boy, are you a housewife cos I wonder how u have the time and patience.c'mon, m sure he will suck till he is 4, that's why u don't sleep overnyt now, just can't explain it.
breast feeding makes the child healthy,physically and intellectually
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by Sabotage4700(m): 8:18am On Nov 11, 2012
I think they should sleep at diff. Rooms with their parents at the age of 4. And boys and girls should sleep in diff. Rooms at the age of 8.
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by ShalomNigeria: 8:24am On Nov 11, 2012
jigwe101: Honestly, when I have my baby, he/she will be sleeping alone. Ill have a baby walkie talkie or something & video feed to monitor everything but independence has to be taught early on in my opinion
Parenthood is a privilege but cultural and economic drift is making us see it as a burden. Why should a baby sleep alone? what will make such a home better than a motherless babies home? Do we know the confidence and assurance of love children feels when they roll-over parents in their sleep? You can read some scientific researches on co-bedding to know the findings on the practice. This wasn't a problem when Africans live in as a community, at least there would be a relative or other children to stay with the baby. But in this modern times that we are so busy with work, when do our children really feel the love and "heat" emanating from our presence? I know they will definitely move to their rooms, but it should be a gradual process. Personally, not earlier than 2 years if he or she won't be alone in the room.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by LailaIkeji1: 8:24am On Nov 11, 2012
My 3 year old n 2yr old still sleep wt me. Natural birth control. Lol. #kidding. They wld soon b moving to their room tho. Its jst that I tend to worry if they win b k on their own during d nyt.
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by lastpage: 8:31am On Nov 11, 2012
greatgod2012:
very right, imagine my 5yrs old boy asking his father why his p*e*n*i*s is bigger than his own

..And you think this is a bad thing for a "boy" to ask HIS FATHER?

Let me allow you in on a little secret!

The whole "brouhaha viz-a-viz rampant deviancy" within the Western worlds is routed in this "independence and privacy" for Kids!
*Who are Children supposed to "see first, learn from and emulate" .....if not their parents? angry angry

*Is that Boy up there, supposed to ask his Teacher, friend or neighbor?...
.......Or is he supposed to learn by "experimenting"?

*Do you know that by asking such question of "his Dad", the boy is getting "first hand" assurance from someone he absolutely trust?
*Who should be the best "sex education teacher" for a kid, if not the parent?

*if you tell your child that "babies fall from heaven" when Daddy and Mummy are "fast asleep", how then would you convince that child not to engage in early sexscapaid?....and not fall into teen pregnancy?

Do you realize that one of the reasons "Homosexuality" is less rampant amongst we Africans is because from an early age in life, we are "exposed to both sexes" through "uninhibited interaction" with our brothers and sisters (like bathing together, sleeping on same bed/mat, wearing just about any "color" without discriminating that "pink is for girls and blue is for boys only", e.t.c, seeing our Mums and Dads dress-up in our presence and we dont develop any "sexual emotions", e.t.c)

Am not saying that children cannot have their own room but that should occur around age 13 or 14 and even then, it should be one room for "all male" and another for "all female" children!

That way, they would have developed (or develop) emotionally and would have learnt to control themselves properly, in the presence of the "opposite gender"!
I have seen some of these children who own rooms from 3years old, lock their parents out of their room, anytime they are annoyed ...and what can you do, no be you give am "independence and privacy"?
tongue

Honestly, l see a lot of 'white folks" who have never seen unclothedness in real life till they are like 18years and when it "descends" on them suddenly, they just loose all manner of self control! Rape is the next thing, if you cant control your sensual emotions, abi na lie?

As for me, all my 'male' children stay in the same room .....and the older ones will "nurture" the younger ones.
Growing up, one of the reasons l couldn't have "early sex" was because l cant bring a lady inside "our room"....my senior brothers cant also because we (all boys) use the same room!
If l had a room to myself, walahi.... kiss kiss kiss make l no talk! grin

When my children are still very young, (under 8yrs), we bath together at times but as they get more "aware", l restrict it to the male children while the females are still free to scrub Mummy's back at will, in the bath tub! grin grin

Wetin? Oginni" Kilode?

Dont you know that this "independence and privacy" comes second, but "intimacy, trust, "respect and appreciation" for each gender, family bond, closeness, "family smell" (for want of a better word! grin ) are very important and COME FIRST, when a child is growing?[/b]

Can you explain to me why an "average white adolescent" (14 - 28) would not bathe an eyelid before slapping his father or ra.pi.ng his mother ...... (and the parents are ready to drive him out, ready or not, when he is 18yrs) but you hardly see such things within our own shores? (at least it is not the norm ....and Gerrout, ...dont give me that "example" in your head, wink )

Can you tell me why it is considered "taboo" for a father to use his hands to "clean-up his female child" while we Africans can do it without even giving it a second thought? (l clean my baby daughters when they poo ....and l dont grate my teeth doing it! tongue )

The Yorubas will say "e je ka'tibi isanna kiyesi Oogun"! (let us appreciate wisdom from little things, literally translated).

How would you be able to do all these things with a "free mind" when you create that "barrier" between you and your children from a very early age?

Abeg, we may be trying to copy the white man's culture but please, let us restrict ourselves to the good aspect only!

Anyway, make l relax..... l dey come wink wink

Lastpage!

12 Likes

Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by mshd5: 8:47am On Nov 11, 2012
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by 2pence(m): 8:50am On Nov 11, 2012
greatgod2012: This is what im saying again, my almost two-yrs old boy has been yearning and also crying to sleep with his siblings, but i dont feel comfortable with it.............why? I will have to be going to d room to check on him regularly, but if hes 3+, he would have learnt how to sleep thru out d night. Secondly,he would be distubing them when sleeping, especially when he feels like suckling(he still does) so what do i do now?

From your first line,iam sure its your son that's' pushing for this change to happen and you only have to let him try it,Change is never easy,the earlier you allow it the better for him to have a broad and independent mind,I will advice you give it a try and then maybe check on him from time to time,Goodluck
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by mallorca(m): 8:52am On Nov 11, 2012
greatgod2012:
very right, imagine my 5yrs old boy asking his father why his p*e*n*i*s is bigger than his own.
LOL
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by adoken: 8:53am On Nov 11, 2012
greatgod2012: In my own opinion, i think children should start sleeping in their separate rooms as early as possible(may be 3 yrs old) for some reasons like children's independence/privacy, parents'privacy, etc, what is your own opinion on this, at what age should children be left to start sleeping in their separate rooms? Your comments/opinions are welcome

Find out from a Muslim friend, I am not sure,maybe from 7years
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by aadetoyin(f): 9:00am On Nov 11, 2012
Depends on everyone preference. Some mums are too emotional and can't handle it. I'll move my child to a seperate room when is one year but before then he will ve his own bed in d same room wit us. I don't want a clingy baby *covers face*
we can bath together until he is around 2 wen he started asking me JAMB questions.
I can remeber my friend's son seeing Always ultra. Sanitary pad advert on tv n he screamed " that's my mummy's pampers" ℓ☺ℓ shame catch the mama well well.
So wen they are old enuf to know sometinz , no bath time together.
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by dabrake(m): 9:00am On Nov 11, 2012
I once heard a 3 year old girl utter this : "I love Samson and I will love to have his kids". I punish am sharp sharp. Omo, as my wife born you, you don migrate oh.
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by tosinajeyahoocom: 9:15am On Nov 11, 2012
its depends on capability of d child being alone
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by abiki(f): 9:15am On Nov 11, 2012
ASAP. Children are too smart. My nephew once asked his mum the person that cut her wee-wee. grin grin grin
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by Ehinafe: 9:15am On Nov 11, 2012
As soon as the mother is prepared to allow the child to be independent due to the effect of baby-friendly breast-feeding program
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by sam2222: 9:25am On Nov 11, 2012
and?
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by emmathebigg(m): 9:31am On Nov 11, 2012
greatgod2012:
very right, imagine my 5yrs old boy asking his father why his p*e*n*i*s is bigger than his own.
abeg no make me laf:-D
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by Sagytarius(m): 9:55am On Nov 11, 2012
!
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by Sagytarius(m): 10:09am On Nov 11, 2012
Sabotage4700: I think they should sleep at diff. Rooms with their parents at the age of 4. And boys and girls should sleep in diff. Rooms at the age of 8.
I have been waiting for an answer like this to address both issues. Almost all answers have been directed at "when to sleep in seperate rooms with your parents". Nobody has talked about when differing genders should sleep in seperate rooms.

Do you all agree with the above precription?
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by Nobody: 10:10am On Nov 11, 2012
I think age 5 is Okay!
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by sherrylo: 10:23am On Nov 11, 2012
Betwn 4 and 5
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by freecocoa(f): 10:29am On Nov 11, 2012
tohirah: breast feeding makes the child healthy,physically and intellectually
At 2 years +?
Abeg will she still be lactating after 2 years?
Na blood that pikin dey suck if you ask me undecided
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by freecocoa(f): 10:33am On Nov 11, 2012
I'm not leaving my baby of 6 months by himself all in the name of getting anything on till I'm sure he can be on his own.
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by Nobody: 10:34am On Nov 11, 2012
It depends on the parents. For most parents 17 or 18 is about right. If he refuses to leave at this age, you can chase him out of the bedroom with an Axe
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by Classicalman(m): 10:36am On Nov 11, 2012
Daresh: I kicked my son out at 3 yrs, i kicked his sister to join him @ 11 months. I need to get my freak on abeg.
Hope the freak on doesn't result in triplets. Lol.
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by Classicalman(m): 10:41am On Nov 11, 2012
somebody: 6 months - buy a good baby monitor, that is what I did grin
Na today? Abeg 6mths is too early. My 6mths old baby is always fond of trying to roll off the bed. Imagine if d baby rolls off and falls hitting his or her head on d marble floor, because u kept him or her in a seperate room. Too dangerous.
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by Classicalman(m): 10:44am On Nov 11, 2012
Mynd_44: The day they are born, they should have their own room. Set up a video camera that feeds into your room, have one of those radio communicators that allows you hear when the baby is crying and all. That's if you can afford it anyway.

If you can't afford a spare room that's a different kettle of fish
Story. E be like u dey jand. In Naija, NEPA no dey to power those gadgets cool
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by Slapme(m): 10:44am On Nov 11, 2012
Na the day they born na i go the baby his own room
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by bizpreneur(m): 10:44am On Nov 11, 2012
tosinaje@yahoo.com:

its depends on capability of d child being alone
Abi ooO.... @ d very age thy start 2 dey tok n rcognizng thns, dnt 4get u ar onc like dem....
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by Revolva(m): 10:49am On Nov 11, 2012
Some people here just dey copy copy oyinbo lifestyle they have forgotten where they grew up from face me face you one room apartment- how d hell will I allow my kids at 3yrs to stay in one room if fear no go chase am comot for the room wtf? 3 yrs old omo come ghetto 5 pikin or more and parents dey manage one room one palour - hisss and life goes on

3 Likes

Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by theresechizoba(f): 11:20am On Nov 11, 2012
A lot of things are happening in this times esp since the kids of this age are way smarter than hw we were during our times.I started sleeping in a seperate room when I was 7 but then I slept with my mom on the same bed and my brother slept with my dad on his bed both we were all in the same room at a point I wondered hw my mom got pregnant again. Truth be told the new generation of kids asks questions on what thay ve been exposed too either by sight or hearing but making a child sleep seperately in another room won't change the fact that they are wiser. For instance,there is this lady whose female child started sleeping in a seperate room from a year old,dat child is 6yrs and has developed a very bad behaviour since she sleeps with her nanny and her doll. At night this child rubbs her nanny at night and can't sleep if her hands isn't fingering someone's and the other in her mouth before she sleeps.Her mother cried the day she realised it thanks to a ten year old cousin who came to spend the weekend.Now she sleeps on the same bed with her mother and has really minimised dat habbit. This esp to mother's don't deny ur kids of that heat that eludes from u at night to ur kids. Atleat to a reasonable age before u swap rooms.u might not sleep with dem on the same bed but let them share dat closeness of being in the same room.
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by theresechizoba(f): 11:23am On Nov 11, 2012
Sorry, I meant the child couldn't sleep if she isn't fingering her nanny or someone else's private region
Re: At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? by theresechizoba(f): 11:25am On Nov 11, 2012
This word change sef,I didn't mean manipulation I meant the other one

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ondo Wife Fought And Locked Husband For Maltreating Her In Uk / Names For Twin Girls / Nigerian Lady Welcomes Triplets After 13yrs Of Waiting(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.