Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,230 members, 7,811,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? (22312 Views)

Strange! Festival Celebrated By Digging Up Dead Family Members (graphic Photos) / What Is Christmas In Your Native Language? / Black History Month Celebrated In Style @ My Place Of Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by davidif: 2:58am On Dec 14, 2007
Since Nigeria is probably the most religious nation in the world, we focus more on the religious aspect of christmas rather than the extremely materialistic (buying of gifts) in the US. We go to church on christmas eve and participate in Marathon prayers and on the morning of dec. 25th we go back to church. On boxing day, some people go picnicking (i have before) on new years eve, we spend a long time praying till the countdown in church and thaking God for what he did for us in the past year and thank him for what he is about to do in the next year. On new years day we come back to church and pray more and thank God for his goodness and mercies. Then in some churches people fast the first week of the year or even the first month of the year.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by yinkaoke(f): 2:05pm On Dec 14, 2007
for me we go out to the beach early in the morning before most people arrive enjoy the fresh breeze then leave towards evening before most people leave on getting home prepare delicious mea l and eat under a heavy sound musical system while jistting with friends and families, therefater in the mid night go out to streeet jamzs have have nore fun
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by PAPABOMBOY: 6:05pm On Dec 14, 2007
Awon Aladura smiley smiley
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by dollyp1cute(f): 9:01pm On Dec 14, 2007
OH DEAR I WISH I COULD BE YOUNG AGAIN  cry

JUST SOME MORE ADDITION:

YOU COLLECT SO MUCH MONEY FROM ALL THE UNCLES AND AUNTIES BUT YOUR MUM TAKES MOST OF IT TO "KEEP FOR YOU" AND NEVER GIVE IT BACK angry , ALTHOUGH SOMETIMES YOU GET LUCKY AND SHE FORGETS TO COLLECT.

YOU ALSO STEAL SOME MEAT AND IF CAUGHT YOU TELL MUM/DAD THAT IT IS JUST THE ERUNRUN (small bits).

YOU STEAL STORE AS MUCH MEAT AS POSSIBLE BECAUSE LIKE 3 DAYS AFTER CHRISTMAS WHEN MUM IS GETTING STRICT WITH MEAT YOU CAN BRING YOUR STASH OUT AND SMOKE GARI WITH IT grin grin grin
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by U1(m): 1:00pm On Dec 15, 2007
Eku odun Keresi ( you can add the "mesi" to it), is the way to say it in Yoruba. Christmas is also synonymous with lot to eat and drink, that is, if you have people to give you that.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by moondust(m): 4:27pm On Dec 15, 2007
by blowing banger all over d place and even in church cheesy
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by OMUWUNMI: 7:53pm On Dec 15, 2007
@ikamefa which knd sukulu you go?dem say how is xmas celebrated in nigeria you begin blow Yoruba Yoruba dat it is e ku odun,na the ansa to the question be dat,no wonder you spend 8yrs for primary skul,7yrs for secondary and 6yrs for teacher training,for say this question na anoda exam now na so you go get CARRY OVER the course,small time you go say na ogun idile,take your time to read question before you ansa because i tire to dey waste my money honey on you kiss kiss kiss
how come you even get ikamefa?you sure say you be human being? grin
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by BlackMamba(m): 7:57pm On Dec 15, 2007
davidif:
Since Nigeria is probably the most religious nation in the world, we focus more on the religious aspect of Christmas rather than the extremely materialistic (buying of gifts) in the US. We go to church on Christmas eve and participate in Marathon prayers and on the morning of DEC. 25th we go back to church. On boxing day, some people go picnicking (i have before) on new years eve, we spend a long time praying till the countdown in church and thanking God for what he did for us in the past year and thank him for what he is about to do in the next year. On new years day we come back to church and pray more and thank God for his goodness and mercies. Then in some churches people fast the first week of the year or even the first month of the year.

That's an obvious false characterization of Christmas in Naija. A minority of Naija Christians may actually adhere to your religious aspect of the celebration. But, of the majority Nigerians that observe Christmas, most Christians probably attend one church service, like most people that I know. And the rest do not even go to church but just enjoy the festivities.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by BlackMamba(m): 8:33pm On Dec 15, 2007
drrionelli:
If I may ask, however, would somebody please explain the "boys in masquerade" and the "dancing girls" to me? Are they local performers who go neighborhood to neighborhood?

Masquerade is one of the cultural displays of the Nigerian people. They put on ceremonial attire whenever there is an important ceremony such as a burial or Easter and Christmas festivities. The costumes are made either of pieces of clothing sewn together or of dry material covering the whole body from head to toe, with two small openings over the eyes to allow the masquerader to see. It's a taboo for a woman to put on a masquerade. Women cultural dancing groups are allowed but never in a masquerade.

It may take the form of a carnival with different groups parading along designated locations and performing their acts. People give them donation of cash in appreciation. This is usually the case in some parts of Eastern Nigeria on Boxing day and New Year day. Christmas day is always reserved for eating and drinking with family and friends.

Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by OMUWUNMI: 9:10pm On Dec 15, 2007
i sure say na you dey inside that outfit wey the masquerade wear,una how masquerade bizness?
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by folahann(m): 11:29pm On Dec 15, 2007
During christmas, the whole atmosphere changes and christmas is written in the Skies. It's so lovely and members of family you've not seen for so long will be around. Uncles and Aunties will share money and you will be Rich for that period of time.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:42am On Dec 16, 2007
dollyp1cute:

OH DEAR I WISH I COULD BE YOUNG AGAIN cry

JUST SOME MORE ADDITION:

YOU COLLECT SO MUCH MONEY FROM ALL THE UNCLES AND AUNTIES BUT YOUR MUM TAKES MOST OF IT TO "KEEP FOR YOU" AND NEVER GIVE IT BACK angry , ALTHOUGH SOMETIMES YOU GET LUCKY AND SHE FORGETS TO COLLECT.

YOU ALSO STEAL SOME MEAT AND IF CAUGHT YOU TELL MUM/DAD THAT IT IS JUST THE ERUNRUN (small bits).

YOU STEAL STORE AS MUCH MEAT AS POSSIBLE BECAUSE LIKE 3 DAYS AFTER CHRISTMAS WHEN MUM IS GETTING STRICT WITH MEAT YOU CAN BRING YOUR STASH OUT AND SMOKE GARI WITH IT grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by fuzek: 11:53am On Dec 16, 2007
I miss Home/ Xmas@ Home cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by waoosa(m): 1:50pm On Dec 16, 2007
@omoge Thanks. you brought back memories. I grew up at Ibadan somewhere at Old Ife road.

Bodija and sasa market used to be the shopping place to visit during xmas. I think they still maintain their records.

My xmas memories is following my Dad to buy a ram with heavy horns. I delight in seeing the big horns than the meat inside.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Dec 16, 2007
@dollyP1cute and @ Omoge.

Good old days, i love your posts, u guys are lovely, those days were so good and reading omoge's thread i felt like we were in the same household. You are spot on.

Lil addition,
remenber, you can drink as much coke as u want and because gra ma or pa was there, u can enjoy and anytime mum/dad(mum especially) complains, granma/granpa(granma especially) would say: je ki wan mu, se bi odun la se.

Love u guys, have a blessed xmas
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by blackgucci(m): 6:46pm On Dec 16, 2007
MERRY XMAS

BABECUE, TURKEY,FRIED RICE AND CHICKEN,CAKES, CHOCOLATE , RED WINE,WHITE WINE. ETC, ALSO OVERTIME SLEEP.
THE BEST PART: YOU GET TO UNITE WITH YOUR FAMILY LIKE WHEN YOU WERE A KID, SUCH MEMORIES, HMMMMMMMMM
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by omoge(f): 7:10pm On Dec 16, 2007
Posters,
you are all welcome. Our journey in life is full of memories. At one time or the other, we've got to share it.

Happy Christmas o wink

Omoge.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by foraino(m): 7:18pm On Dec 16, 2007
hey omoge watup chritmas smells every where we all pray 4 gud ppl 2 b arnd us as we celebrate
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by omoge(f): 7:19pm On Dec 16, 2007
@omoge:
I'm afraid I must ask for a translation of "walahai akwai kasuwa fa"!

true to God, there is business or honestly, there is business/market.
it's just an emphasis the Hausa business people uses that you trade more during Christmas time.

hope that helps drrionelli.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by ogrebuga(m): 8:47pm On Dec 16, 2007
moondust:

by blowing banger all over d place and even in church cheesy

@ your fatherly age. shocked
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by PTH(m): 10:15pm On Dec 16, 2007
how sweet the memories of christmas . . .
Long gone are the days of taking Gisoro (the name given to most of our christmas goats) out for long walks, the goal being to fatten him up for the wrong end of the knife.

One word for christmas - - meat . . . lots of it!
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by cutebabe: 10:30pm On Dec 16, 2007
I miss Nigeria and being young again

What baffles me is when we go to my hometown and we go greeting people from door to door and 75% seem to be related to you one way or another.

And you perfect the art of kneeling down like a robot, in short you kneel for everybody taller than you less they report you to grandma angry.

Yes and did anybody have those young uncles who "help" to blow all your knockout and you have to go and ask daddy for more money.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by drrionelli(m): 10:45pm On Dec 16, 2007
@BlackMamba:
Thank you for posting the pictures (and explanation) of the Masquerade! It looks to be a beautiful presentation!

@omoge:
Thank you for your translation!

@cutebabe:
I trust that the kneeling is a display of respect?
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by Dreloaded(f): 11:44pm On Dec 16, 2007
drrionelli:

@@cutebabe:
I trust that the kneeling is a display of respect?

Yea more common among the Yorubas though.

you people, wetin be olugbodi, literally
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by deejay1(m): 3:22am On Dec 17, 2007
ibadan oooooo i miss ibadan baaje
BODIJA - for food stuffs n cow!!!!!
Gbagi - 4 traditional attire
Dugbe - 4 western cool clothin
only spent xmas wit ma mum lk 5 time miss dem momma rice wen i ws young bt watin sista dey 4 she go cool em rice yh i lk
Mokola/ Saabo 2 change momma xmas money 2 naira
neva go 2 churh on xmas eve/xmas day shit! jst say @ home n enjoy d festive period
xmas evennin because ( miss em crazy prog on dis station lmao)/exhibition
boxin day-train amusment park prob gna be closed dwn nw
I reli miss xmass in xmas in nigeria n ibadan her self.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by saucekid(m): 3:34pm On Dec 17, 2007
christmas in naija
na die grin grin grin grin
we go chop rice sotay rice go dey comot from nose,ear and eyes
we go drink sotay na water sh*t we go shit the next day
we go blow banger sotay pesin go think say na world war dey happen
adults go shack udeme like say tomorrow no dey
people dey shag wella
beach for full tire
na only for christmas,we dey know everybody house to go chop

*like i say,christmas for naija na die oooooooo becus anybody wey no experience am,make dem re born am*
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by lanrelagos: 4:43pm On Dec 17, 2007
OMO XMAS USED 2 BE FUN,BUT NOWADAYS IT CAN REALLY BE A DRAG 4 LOTTA PEOPLE.in the past we get 2 buy lotta stuffs,food,clothing items,basically new stuffs cos its believed that xmas is the birth of jesus christ and all things must come new, then u had gifts 4 family memebers and all that, theses days,

we all are managers!!!!!
now we know christmas is just another day, y shld we buy new clothes.
GSM is in town, i dont need 2 visit my aged parents in the villa
let me get home videos 2 watch durin the yelutide period, and all that

i dont think its the fault of nobody really but our leaders who make us feel like slaves in our own land
people have just accepted the fact that once u get a chicken and get rice,then xmas is celebrated, my dears! its more than that, its meant 2 be time 4 reflections opn ao well or bad we have faired durin the year and attempts 2 beta it in the comin yr,
al still gonna have fun anyao xmas comes.will be in lagos and be happy that a large chunk of people will have 2 leave lagos 4 their respective ancestral homesteads,
i go stilll chop rice and chicken and then chop sallah meat @ my friends 2.
here\s hopin u all have a wonderful holiday and wishin 4 a better 2008.
adieus!!!!!!

ps
4 those of us goin outta town,pls drive safely! and bring somethin wen comin!!!!
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by SweetT1: 7:39pm On Dec 17, 2007
@Poster

Xmas is celebrated in Naija by closing both ends of the streets so that motorists cannot go through because there is a xmas party by some rich idiot !
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by Bodiga(m): 5:20pm On Dec 18, 2007
grin well it's time to make dangote wealthier. rice n chicken

;Dbodiga
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by drrionelli(m): 7:07pm On Dec 20, 2007
So, if I wish to have a Christmas party featuring a Nigerian theme, tell me what kinds of foods I need and what kind of entertainment I might wish to have.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 8:02am On Dec 22, 2007
Rice Rice and More rice - eresi grin

mainly Jollof rice, Fried Rice

Guinness- naija version, it has the imported logo on it

Kpuff Kpuff, moin-moin

Maltina and Palm wine cheesy

Entertainment- depending on the age group and to some extent tribe get some albums by Ayuba, K-1 de ultimate, 2face, Dbanj, Oliver de Coque, Fela; just play the music as loud as possible grin
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by damygurl(f): 8:34pm On Dec 31, 2007
deejay1:

ibadan oooooo i miss ibadan baaje
BODIJA - for food stuffs n cow!!!!!
Gbagi - 4 traditional attire
Dugbe - 4 western cool clothin

Nice! so true! remember dem days. luv aleshinloye market. they got nice stuff up in there.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osinbajo, Ooni Of Ife, Others Attend National Council Of Traditional Ruler -Pho / Teach Me Yoruba Language(come In If U Are Interested In Learning Too) / Oba Akiolu At Colchester For Grandson Graduation (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.