Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:15 AM

How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? (22310 Views)

Strange! Festival Celebrated By Digging Up Dead Family Members (graphic Photos) / What Is Christmas In Your Native Language? / Black History Month Celebrated In Style @ My Place Of Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by Elgaxton(m): 2:12pm On Jan 07, 2008
Y'all abroad good for ya grin cheesy, This years xmas was extra cool men, Had fun toi the fullest.

Omoge So u've done what u p[romised me, na wah o u for just do am just for the xmas sha.

Hope u hgad fun though grin
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by omoge(f): 4:07pm On Jan 07, 2008
wait till next christmas. long time. . . happy new year to you, 
yes, i enjoyed the festivities. used the break to catch up with classwork. though i had fun eating, drinking and taking part in church activities  smiley.

Elgaxton:

Y'all abroad good for ya grin cheesy, This years xmas was extra cool men, Had fun toi the fullest.

Omoge So u've done what u p[romised me, na wah o u for just do am just for the xmas sha.

Hope u hgad fun though grin
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by qymekkam(m): 5:16am On Aug 06, 2009
because i was born in america i find christmas in nigeria very boring. ive experienced it twice. i said balom christmas to several people and no money angry. (my grandma said i would get money if i said that) we stayed in the village for christmas and just killed a cow and ate it and said happy chritsmas a million times. maybe chirstmas in the city will be funner with the festivals and whatnot.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by agathamari(f): 2:24pm On Aug 06, 2009
@ BlackMamba
are you talking about the nigerian form of thanksgiving or the american?
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by drrionelli(m): 4:59am On Dec 11, 2010
You know, we're very close to that special day, again. I thought I'd reactivate this topic. It got so very interesting last year!

So, tell us about Christmas where you are. How does your family celebrate? Your city or town? Your country?
And, spare no details! Tell us about the foods, the traditions and everything else!!
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by omega25red(m): 2:51am On Dec 12, 2010
well xmas is getting better for me being in the u.s though it's till not the same as xmas in nigeria.
now we spend xmasby buying a tree dressing it up with lights etc wrapping lots of gifts and putting it under the tree. xmas eve is usually spent chilling out drinking wine and not much else xmas morning you get up call the family where ever they may be open gifts play with the new toys and possibly have a turkey dinner.

new years eve is a different case party at a club till morning
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by drrionelli(m): 8:20pm On Dec 15, 2010
An interesting comparison of the Nigerian and American celebrations! Thank you.

Surely, others of you wish to comment?
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Mar 06, 2011
ahhhh, I love Christmas in my village. cheiiiiiii!!!
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by drrionelli(m): 6:03pm On Dec 18, 2011
Since this topic began, I've learned so much! Thank you all for participating in it!

I've brought it back to the top, again, as I'd like to read some more of how Christmas is celebrated in Nigeria. Perhaps, someday I'll get to be in Nigeria for the Christmas holidays!

But, until then, please regale me with your stories of what I might be looking forward to!

Thanks, and I hope you all have the Merriest Christmas possible!!
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by anonymous6(f): 7:31pm On Dec 18, 2011
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by drrionelli(m): 4:59am On Dec 19, 2011
@anonymous6:
Thank you for the very helpful links you've provided. I was hoping that I could hear from some individuals as to how they each celebrate. Certainly, everybody has traditions that they have gotten from previous generations and those that they'll pass on, as well.

Anyone?
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:03am On Dec 19, 2011
THIS CHRISTMAS, ME AND MY PEOPLE WILL BE MAKING A HUGE BONFIRE OF BIBLES AND CHRISTMAS TREES IN PROTEST AGAINST THIS EVIL FOREIGN RELIGION. cool

Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by angelkate(f): 11:27am On Dec 21, 2011
Hi all Nairaland people just wish to wish you all a very merry and Happy Christmas from sunny warm Melbourne here in ozzie land I all hope you have lots of fun with your familys and friends.

Just wondering if there are any Nigerians here from Benin City my beloved man is A Benin guy who lives in Spain (I am in oz) who is homesick for home so i was wondering if anyone can help me learn a few Benin words or Edo words i can try and learn to try and cheer him up a bit this christmas season Thanks all cheesy Any help will be much appreciated grin
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by tpia5: 12:22pm On Dec 21, 2011
Nigeria has phones so surely a homesick nigerian can call somebody there if he or she is homesick.

Also, he or she can find his or her country men or women on the web?

Or one of the innumerable nigerian associations overseas.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by angelkate(f): 12:35pm On Dec 21, 2011
Yes Tpia you are correct he can ring home but his situation is very complicated.

He does ring home(benin) as often as he can but a phone call is not quite the same as being with one's elderly parents in person at christmas time that is why my man is feeling a little down and homesick.

I am trying to help the best I can but as I said his situation is very complicated he had to leave Benin city in a hurry and seek Aslyum in Europe luckly he has been granted FULL Aslyum and protection in that country but when one is facing the prospect of maybe never seeing his parents again it can be heartbreaking etc.

Unfortanly I can not be with him this Christmas as I have had to come back to Australia to renew Visa's so I can legally re enter Europe again I will be with him again in the New Year. (once my new visa's come through)

Anyway thanks Tpia for replying to my post may god bless you with much christmas Joy and peace this Christmas.
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:51pm On Dec 21, 2011
Christmas in my home town of Umuoji-Idenmili is a wonderous experience!!
The 24th night vigil,the knocks and lightnings,the 25th morning tomatoes stew with lots of meat,the slaughtering of cows,the masqurades that comes out on 25th evening which me and my cousins used to participate in; Chrismas in my hometown is an experience to behold!! In the morning of the 26th masqurade with canes(mmuo npia osisi) comes out in droves wipping ppl who doesnt wanna run,taking gifts of money from ppl. Wow, I wanna go home and see my fatherland once more!!
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by Chineduogbojo95: 6:29am On Dec 01, 2018
Cars that will intimidate your village people this Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1EwPsCgwwo
Re: How Is Christmas Celebrated In Nigeria? by minework1111(m): 6:41pm On Oct 05, 2019
Merry Christmas to you all

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Teach Me Yoruba Language(come In If U Are Interested In Learning Too) / Osinbajo, Ooni Of Ife, Others Attend National Council Of Traditional Ruler -Pho / Oba Akiolu At Colchester For Grandson Graduation (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.