Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,339 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:39 AM

Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) (3823 Views)

10 Bible Verses Every Christian Should Know By Heart / As A Devoted Christian Should She Study Islamic Studies In The University? / 4 Sexual Sins Every Christian Should Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by truthislight: 1:59pm On Jul 30, 2012
@Anony
I made some modification on my last post to address the matthew 7:7-11 you quoted.

Also, my post is on the christian living. Not on God dealing with the Jews.
The work of the christian is diff and as such their lifestyle should be diff.

Also, christians are admonish to do work with their hands so that they may have enough for themself and have what to give to others.
Peace
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by MrAnony1(m): 2:05pm On Jul 30, 2012
truthislight: @Anony
I made some modification on my last post to address the matthew 7:7-11 you quoted.

Also, my post is on the christian living. Not on God dealing with the Jews.
The work of the christian is diff and as such their lifestyle should be diff.
Peace
I have read it, we have nothing to argue about. I agree that God is first and material wealth is peripheral
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 30, 2012
I'm really grateful that I could just sit back and enjoy following the discussion. I asked the question not only because of the curious nature of the popular prosperity messages that inundate the Church currently but also because I have come to realize (please correct me if I'm wrong) that certain types of legitimate work are apt to make people rich and not others. So, if it is wrong for the Christian to be rich, he ought to avoid those types of work. But if it's wrong for him to be poor, he ought to do only those types of work.

My understanding thus far from the discussion is that it is not a should/should not thing (though Andromida's and truthislight's last comments appear to disagree). It seems that for the Christian, neither being rich nor being poor means (or, ought to mean) anything. At least James's letter seems to say that. Or what do you guys think?
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jul 30, 2012
andromida: Christians who desire to be rich have not desired wrongly

This here is all the problem I have with your position. How does this statement agree with 1 Timothy 6:9?

truthislight:
The work of the Christian is diff and as such their lifestyle should be diff.

Does "diff" mean "different"?
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by truthislight: 10:31pm On Jul 30, 2012
Ihedinobi:

This here is all the problem I have with your position. How does this statement agree with 1 Timothy 6:9?

Does "diff" mean "different"?
Yes,
Diff = different
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Ptolomeus(m): 10:40pm On Jul 30, 2012
Mr_Anony:
I have read it, we have nothing to argue about. I agree that God is first and material wealth is peripheral
Si. The vast majority of Christians are poor.
Tithing is part of the explanation, but not the only one.
Christians make a kind of "cult of suffering" "cult of fear" and "cult of repression", which is reflected in all areas of life.

My respects!
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by MrAnony1(m): 10:43pm On Jul 30, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Si. The vast majority of Christians are poor.
Tithing is part of the explanation, but not the only one.
Christians make a kind of "cult of suffering" "cult of fear" and "cult of repression", which is reflected in all areas of life.

My respects!
I'm finding it difficult to make sense of this post of yours and how exactly it relates to the topic
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 7:46am On Jul 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:
I'm finding it difficult to make sense of this post of yours and how exactly it relates to the topic

Yeah, me too
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by tpia5: 7:53am On Jul 31, 2012
christians have always been drawn from all walks of life (check the bible)- its mainly nigerians who have the bigoted idea that rich christians are an anomaly.

the catholic church remains one of the richest organisations till date- i dont hear anybody utter a sound in that direction.

and who is anyone to question God if he, in his infinite wisdom, decides to bless someone?

you all jump for joy when you think God is against somebody, then shed tears of frustration when God decides to have mercy on that person.

beware of bringing curses on yourselves because you do reap what you sow.

if the funds were lawfully acquired, then shut the heck up.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 9:09am On Jul 31, 2012
Ihedinobi: I'm really grateful that I could just sit back and enjoy following the discussion. I asked the question not only because of the curious nature of the popular prosperity messages that inundate the Church currently but also because I have come to realize (please correct me if I'm wrong) that certain types of legitimate work are apt to make people rich and not others. So, if it is wrong for the Christian to be rich, he ought to avoid those types of work. But if it's wrong for him to be poor, he ought to do only those types of work.

My understanding thus far from the discussion is that it is not a should/should not thing (though Andromida's and truthislight's last comments appear to disagree). It seems that for the Christian, neither being rich nor being poor means (or, ought to mean) anything. At least James's letter seems to say that. Or what do you guys think?

It is a known fact that not everyone can handle prosperity. some will fall as james 6:9-11 says but should we then be poor to guard against forfeiting eternal life.? we all know the power of money,if you see people who are humble when poor you may not recognize them when they become rich. The Bible is a whole book it is sad when people concentrate on only parts. Any child of God that focuses on money may lose his salvation because the LOVE of money is the root of all kinds of evil not the USE of money and while here we must use money and God did not plan his children as wretched beggars.Also see 1Tim 6:17. I insist being rich is no sin in the sight of God it is your attitude as a rich person that can sink you not your wealth even as your attitude as a poor man can equally sink you. Being poor does not make you a better christian neither does being rich make you a better christian.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by truthislight: 9:30am On Jul 31, 2012
tpia@:
christians have always been drawn from all walks of life (check the bible)- its mainly nigerians who have the bigoted idea that rich christians are an anomaly.

the catholic church remains one of the richest organisations till date- i dont hear anybody utter a sound in that direction.

and who is anyone to question God if he, in his infinite wisdom, decides to bless someone?

you all jump for joy when you think God is against somebody, then shed tears of frustration when God decides to have mercy on that person.

Ur disposition seems to be very unchristian,

Can u quote the bible for a change?

There is no body that does not love riches. That is not the point, rather, what does the bible (God) say on the matter under consideration.

Do u really think we should 4get those statements of Jesus and stick to ur personal opinion?
Can u extend ur own life span much less that of others?
Is any body saying that money is bad?

My advice to u is, when next u want to post on this topic try and quote a bible to add weight to ur comment.
Peace
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by truthislight: 10:01am On Jul 31, 2012
andromida:

It is a known fact that not everyone can handle prosperity. some will fall as james 6:9-11 says but should we then be poor to guard against forfeiting eternal life.? we all know the power of money,if you see people who are humble when poor you may not recognize them when they become rich. The Bible is a whole book it is sad when people concentrate on only parts. Any child of God that focuses on money may lose his salvation because the LOVE of money is the root of all kinds of evil not the USE of money and while here we must use money and God did not plan his children as wretched beggars.Also see 1Tim 6:17. I insist being rich is no sin in the sight of God it is your attitude as a rich person that can sink you not your wealth even as your attitude as a poor man can equally sink you. Being poor does not make you a better christian neither does being rich make you a better christian.

At least the saying that the fear of God is the begining of wisdom is very true.

Now that u are trying to allow the scriptures to guide u, cant u see how it is tending to adjust ur comment?

I dont understand what u meant "insisting to be rich is not a bad thing" (Note, insisting = individuals choice)
Are u saying that making riches priority 1 (first thing) is not bad, while the kingdom of God then takes priority 2 (2nd place)?
Pls, explain further.
Matthew 6:33.

Pls. If one should quote a scripture it is not bad to make use of the words in the quote or some of them.

Peace
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by tpia5: 10:09am On Jul 31, 2012
^are you alright?
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jul 31, 2012
truthislight:

At least the saying that the fear of God is the begining of wisdom is very true.

Now that u are trying to allow the scriptures to guide u, cant u see how it is tending to adjust ur comment?

I dont understand what u meant "insisting to be rich is not a bad thing" (Note, insisting = individuals choice)
Are u saying that making riches priority 1 (first thing) is not bad, while the kingdom of God then takes priority 2 (2nd place)?
Pls, explain further.

Pls. If one should quote a scripture it is not bad to make use of the words in the quote or some of them.

Peace

I have used the scriptures to support my position on this thread. You may need to go back to read all i have written to better understand what i am saying. Again the kingdom of God takes priority over riches and self any day, any time. We are in agreement that the kingdom of God is priority in all things.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jul 31, 2012
truthislight:

Pls, explain further.

Peace

The kingdom of God is priority in all things.I have used the scriptures to support my position i do not know how you missed that. i think you need to go over my previous post you seem to have misunderstood what i am saying.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by truthislight: 2:16pm On Jul 31, 2012
andromida:

The kingdom of God is priority in all things.I have used the scriptures to support my position i do not know how you missed that. i think you need to go over my previous post you seem to have misunderstood what i am saying.
u are wellcome.
Peace
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by truthislight: 2:17pm On Jul 31, 2012
tpia@:
^are you alright?

oh! O! lipsrsealed
tpia@:
^are you alright?

oh! O!
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by tpia5: 2:30pm On Jul 31, 2012
^are you alright?

maybe you need some time away from the internet.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jul 31, 2012
truthislight and tpia, easy o abeg. No be fight na.

Andromida, I agree that it is no sin to be rich. I was concerned by "it is no sin to want to be rich". While I won't argue whether or not the latter is true, I stand on the fact that the desire to accumulate material wealth more likely than not lands the desirer in all kinds of trouble and temptation. Do we agree on that? If we do, then perhaps it is good advice to discourage an angling after bankloads of dollars, pounds and euros among Christians.

@all, I say we judge the worth of our work by its impact on life around us rather than by the financial rewards it promises. Any disagreements?
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 31, 2012
truthislight:
Ur disposition seems to be very unchristian,

Can u quote the bible for a change?

There is no body that does not love riches. That is not the point, rather, what does the bible (God) say on the matter under consideration.

Do u really think we should 4get those statements of Jesus and stick to ur personal opinion?
Can u extend ur own life span much less that of others?
Is any body saying that money is bad?

My advice to u is, when next u want to post on this topic try and quote a bible to add weight to ur comment.
Peace
Lmao..
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by tpia5: 4:00pm On Jul 31, 2012
Ihedinobi: truthislight and tpia, easy o abeg. No be fight na.

i hope you can read?

did i address this monkey before he or she addressed me?

kindly learn how to put mouth, if you must, and dont just type ignorantly.

you can see another b.astard called musqueeto right above me.

did you see me address him before the gaay waanker jumped up again?
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by tpia5: 4:01pm On Jul 31, 2012
[size=18pt]christians have always been drawn from all walks of life (check the bible)- its mainly nigerians who have the bigoted idea that rich christians are an anomaly.

[/size]
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by truthislight: 4:44pm On Jul 31, 2012
^^^^@muskeeto
men!
U will cuss someone to break my head on this forum.

Imagine the bolded. Lol
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by tpia5: 4:47pm On Jul 31, 2012
awon " i wanna be a moderator"

lmao.

am i responsible for your pathetic lives?

sorry oh grin
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by tpia5: 4:48pm On Jul 31, 2012
bye bye, losers grin

let human beings post- thread doesnt need to be hijacked by you monkeys,lol. cheesy
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by truthislight: 5:03pm On Jul 31, 2012
Ihedinobi: truthislight and tpia, easy o abeg. No be fight na.

Andromida, I agree that it is no sin to be rich. I was concerned by "it is no sin to want to be rich". While I won't argue whether or not the latter is true, I stand on the fact that the desire to accumulate material wealth more likely than not lands the desirer in all kinds of trouble and temptation. Do we agree on that? If we do, then perhaps it is good advice to discourage an angling after bankloads of dollars, pounds and euros among Christians.

@all, I say we judge the worth of our work by its impact on life around us rather than by the financial rewards it promises. Any disagreements?

NONE, COMPLETELY IN AGREEMENT.
u are very much wellcome.

I love the way u indirectly use the scripture in addressing the issue of the "disire to be rich" is the root of all evil, in ur reference to Andromida.
I think she was straith with the bible in her last comment.

There is somewhere in the bible that talk about handling the word of God aright. A workman with nothing to be ashame of.
Well done.
Peace
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Ptolomeus(m): 5:26pm On Jul 31, 2012
Mr_Anony:
I'm saying that Christians should be poor ... very poor ... take care of that pastors ... but also Christians are like the suffering ...
I think that is not very complex to understand ...
You want examples? I think not needed.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by tpia5: 5:27pm On Jul 31, 2012
Ptolomeus:
I'm saying that Christians should be poor ... very poor

are you saying all poor people in the world are christians?
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jul 31, 2012
tpia@:

Really thought you'd got off the thread after all that abuse, bro. That was a really terrible attitude you displayed.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 31, 2012
Ptolomeus:
I'm saying that Christians should be poor ... very poor ... take care of that pastors ... but also Christians are like the suffering ...
I think that is not very complex to understand ...
You want examples? I think not needed.

Perhaps examples will help. I, for one, do not know what you're basing your declarations on. That's what I'm curious about.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by Ptolomeus(m): 5:42pm On Jul 31, 2012
tpia@:

No.
Let me explain:
1. To Christians like to suffer ... for this reason prefer to be poor.
2. Not all the world's poor are Christians (pastors are not poor, quite the contrary, pastors are rich people with money of others).
3. The Christian doctrine is the doctrine of suffering, of poverty, of conformity.
I hope now if my answer has been understood.
Re: Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) by truthislight: 5:42pm On Jul 31, 2012
^^^^ there is somewhere in proverbs 13:7 that says that there is a person that shows himself to be rich yet has nothing (bread) and there is also one that shows himself to have nothing yet has much.

How fitting and wise those words are.
Lets keep sticking to the bible.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Makes Chewing Gum During Service In Church Wrong? / Pastor E.A. Adeboye Declares 100 Days Fasting & Prayer-It Means A Lot For 2014 / Misquoted “violent Verses” In The Holy Quran

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.