Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,243 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Creating An Open-source Java Web Service - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Creating An Open-source Java Web Service (15304 Views)

Advise On Good Java Web Application Framework / [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) / Web Service Using Java Or C# (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by xterra2(m): 4:12pm On Jul 29, 2012
Look what we have here a female programmer shocked shocked

I of course want to contribute, I would want to do the front end
And by front end you mean the html + css right ?
I would want to test my css3 knowledge
But for a reason,I won't be able to join this week,maybe by next week or so I would do the front end
Its going to look fine ,if next week is far and am gonna delay you or you want the front end quickly don't worry just do a rough one I would come and replace it

And btw,did you design the logo yourself ? The logo you posted ? If yes
Which software did you use ?
How did you learn to use the software ?
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by xterra2(m): 4:20pm On Jul 29, 2012
Err I would suggest the first one smiley
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 4:24pm On Jul 29, 2012
xterra2: Look what we have here a female programmer shocked shocked

I of course want to contribute, I would want to do the front end
And by front end you mean the html + css right ?
I would want to test my css3 knowledge
But for a reason,I won't be able to join this week,maybe by next week or so I would do the front end
Its going to look fine ,if next week is far and am gonna delay you or you want the front end quickly don't worry just do a rough one I would come and replace it
ok...Thanks for your contribution...Yes the front end is just HTML & CSS...You can include your CSS3...Download the rough work @ sourceforge with the link in the previous page...when you are done...upload your version there and notify me on this thread...Thanks once again....

And btw,did you design the logo yourself ? The logo you posted ? If yes
Which software did you use ?
How did you learn to use the software ?
The logo is just a font in Photoshop with a little colour tweaking...Nothing much...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 4:25pm On Jul 29, 2012
xterra2: Err I would suggest the first one smiley
Noted!
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 8:52pm On Jul 29, 2012
UPDATE
i have successfully generated the tables dynamically from the database..The consumers can now implement the table on their web applications. Here is a screen-shot of what it looks like.

Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by farouqzaib: 10:03am On Jul 30, 2012
Nice! All the best.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by spikesC(m): 10:04am On Jul 30, 2012
u dey serious o, how do you want the service to be accessed, is it not by javascript applet. You have to provide so many options for the developer. Provide other access methods, like a REST api and return just the data, we can then develop libraries for it.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 10:42am On Jul 30, 2012
spikes C: u dey serious o,
you think say i dey crack joke? grin
how do you want the service to be accessed, is it not by javascript applet.
the web service will be accesed with a WSDL link...you can google how to implement a web service with WSDL in your language.
You have to provide so many options for the developer. Provide other access methods, like a REST api and return just the data, we can then develop libraries for it.
This is what i intended doing but...it has some disadvantages...creating libraries for each language is quite stressfull...yes it provides flexibility...but i dont think there is much to do with data other than what am already going to provide...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by lordZOUGA(m): 10:42am On Jul 30, 2012
why not make an API that returns either JSON or XML?
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by lordZOUGA(m): 10:48am On Jul 30, 2012
Javanian:

This is what i intended doing but...it has some disadvantages...creating libraries for each language is quite stressfull...yes it provides flexibility...but i dont think there is much to do with data other than what am already going to provide...
it won't be stressful. it will be independent of any language. The consumer or client will worry about creating the libraries. What if someone jus wants your data to correlate with his own and make another graph?
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 10:58am On Jul 30, 2012
lordZOUGA: why not make an API that returns either JSON or XML?
i havent worked with JSON before...so i'll look into it...XML would be a good idea but what the service actually returns is a dynamically generated HTML table...i just want to make life as easy as possible for the consumer...but i'll still consider that...but you can download the sql tables @ sourceforge and create the API (i'll really appreciate it)....thats why it opensource...so that everyone can contribute in their own way...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 11:00am On Jul 30, 2012
lordZOUGA:
it won't be stressful. it will be independent of any language. The consumer or client will worry about creating the libraries. What if someone jus wants your data to correlate with his own and make another graph?
ok no probs...i'll do that its even easier for me...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by spikesC(m): 6:08pm On Jul 30, 2012
Javanian:

Eeehhm, i think you don't understand that method. Infact REST apis are being prefered than other methods now. Everone, even a novice can use it. You can return the data in any for, xml, text, json, html, even your own created format cool
You don't even need to create the libraries, just provide a documentation of how to request data and the data returned. Opensource doesn't matter in it, but people would be creating libraries in their own language and sharing. Notice the facebook sdk's, they're developed by their ordinary developers.

Secondly, their will be the developers that will prefere the plug and play method. To just place the javascript snippet.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 7:22pm On Jul 30, 2012
UPDATE
ok...guys i have successfully created the XML API....see screen-shot below...it retrieves info from the database and dynamically generates it as XML which is returned as a String to the consumer...@lordZOUGA, @Spike C i hope am on track??

Project Folder has been updated at sourceforge

Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 7:45pm On Jul 30, 2012
By tomorrow i"ll upload a UML diagram of the project for any one who is interested

@Spike C, Xterra2 and others any progress with the front-end?? grin

Also, Any one who has knowledge of JSP/Servlets would be of much help at this point...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by xterra2(m): 9:44pm On Jul 30, 2012
err I would really like to do the front end but pc right now is in lagos,immediately I get it back I would do it, its not as if I have something better to do other than sleep till 2pm play fifa till 6:55 break fast and sleep.
Like I mentioned,if am delaying you seems like am you can just do something simple,in 15 mins maybe basic front end as soon as I get my pc I would fire up CS6 and make the front end
I feel bad and sad really really wished I had my pc at this m oment
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 10:06pm On Jul 30, 2012
^^^No probs...i'm patiently waiting...Thanks for your concern...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by spikesC(m): 11:21pm On Jul 30, 2012
Javanian: UPDATE
ok...guys i have successfully created the XML API....see screen-shot below...it retrieves info from the database and dynamically generates it as XML which is returned as a String to the consumer...@lordZOUGA, @Spike C i hope am on track??

Project Folder has been updated at sourceforge

very good. I haven't worked recently but will give you something very good by tomorrow
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by spikesC(m): 11:21pm On Jul 30, 2012
xterra2: err I would really like to do the front end but pc right now is in lagos,immediately I get it back I would do it, its not as if I have something better to do other than sleep till 2pm play fifa till 6:55 break fast and sleep.
Like I mentioned,if am delaying you seems like am you can just do something simple,in 15 mins maybe basic front end as soon as I get my pc I would fire up CS6 and make the front end

Fifa ni grin
I prefere PRO, something to take the mind off too much codes
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by spikesC(m): 11:33pm On Jul 30, 2012
xterra2: err I would really like to do the front end but pc right now is in lagos,immediately I get it back I would do it, its not as if I have something better to do other than sleep till 2pm play fifa till 6:55 break fast and sleep.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by xterra2(m): 12:43am On Jul 31, 2012
@OP um I downloaded website template zip , that's the template you want the front end to be right ?
So any front end would have what you have in that template right ?
If so, I could sketch the front end on a paper while I await my lappy that's if spikesC won't be done with it by then
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 6:50am On Jul 31, 2012
^^^I dont really know sha...that was just to give you an idea of what it should look like....but you can modify it as you like....
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 12:42pm On Jul 31, 2012
UPDATE

ok guys...This is the UML of the Project for anyone who might be interested

I hope my front end guys are working grin

Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 12:43pm On Jul 31, 2012
VOLUNTEERS AND SUGGESTIONS ARE STILL VERY MUCH WELCOME
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 6:25pm On Jul 31, 2012
Javanian:

Any one who has knowledge of JSP/Servlets would be of much help at this point...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by xterra2(m): 6:27pm On Jul 31, 2012
I got my lappy back today before I maybe return it in 12 days
So I would start the front end tomorrow by 2 when I wake up
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 6:29pm On Jul 31, 2012
^^^Thats goodnews..i beleive you will do a good work...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 6:31pm On Jul 31, 2012
Can a moderator move this thread to the front page...may be i can get other volunteers to take up other roles there
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by 53cur3m0d3(m): 2:37am On Aug 01, 2012
I really feel bad cos I can't join in ur project ma fellow Javanian...I hope joining the team later on in the site maintenance and more upgrades is okay cos I'm duly committed to 3 projects ryt now in skul plus it's ma final year in skul so everything is just squeaky bum time like ma old man Fergie 'd always say...I'll always be up in here to check on the progress and if possible offer ma ideas as seeds and not as bullets to the development team...
To everyone currently on this project, I say a great WELLDONE to Y'all...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 7:12am On Aug 01, 2012
^^^Thanks for the encouragement....The project aint finishing today...i hope to see you in future...grin
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by 53cur3m0d3(m): 11:22am On Aug 01, 2012
Javanian: ^^^Thanks for the encouragement....The project aint finishing today...i hope to see you in future...grin
For sure bro...I luv me some JSP and Servlets
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 5:48pm On Aug 01, 2012
@Xterra2 any progress with the front end??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? / Are Mini Laptops Good For Programming? / 10 Nights Of Cloning Nairaland With PHP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.