Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,817 members, 7,820,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Creating An Open-source Java Web Service - Programming (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Creating An Open-source Java Web Service (15311 Views)

Advise On Good Java Web Application Framework / [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) / Web Service Using Java Or C# (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 1:54pm On Aug 28, 2012
^ i need to extract the TOP 10 rankings from those sites and store them as Strings...and i haven't been able to do it...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by lordZOUGA(m): 2:07pm On Aug 28, 2012
Javanian: ^ i need to extract the TOP 10 rankings from those sites and store them as Strings...and i haven't been able to do it...
they don't follow any particular structure?
Please post a snippet of the html
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 28, 2012
for a site like those, you will need a custom parser, i doubt if that parser will be of help.
I'll try it tonight.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by lordZOUGA(m): 2:19pm On Aug 28, 2012
webdezzi: for a site like those, you will need a custom parser, i doubt if that parser will be of help.
I'll try it tonight.
or extending the functionalities of the parser...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by lordZOUGA(m): 2:43pm On Aug 28, 2012
Javanian: I still haven't been able to create an HTML Parser for the sites...but i am still trying...can anyone give it a try??
there should be tons of opensource html parsers. Worst case scenario, firefox is opensource, you go to their developement page and hijack their parser
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 28, 2012
lordZOUGA:
there should be tons of opensource html parsers. Worst case scenario, firefox is opensource, you go to their developement page and hijack their parser
java is the language here, and moreover, you are never going to just walk into any open source tree and just grab it, you will spend an hour searching and spend the next hour customizing it.

I find http://www.jsoup.org very interesting though.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Nobody: 8:48pm On Aug 28, 2012
i souped the first one here ==> http://www.gadgetslim.com/test.jsp
those sites took the server as a mobile device, it took me time to figure it out, please consider that while parsing others.

i learnt a lot in the process.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 9:21pm On Aug 28, 2012
^ Nice one!...i have been having a hard time doing this..i cant wait to see your code..
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 9:40pm On Aug 28, 2012
i noticed those idiots returned a mobile version to my server which cost me 3hrs to figure out
LMAO!! grin
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Nobody: 9:48pm On Aug 28, 2012
dont mind my code rants jare. grin
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by mj(m): 8:07am On Sep 11, 2012
What's happening? No info yet, Javanian where are you and others nko...we need to finish dz.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 11:06am On Sep 11, 2012
I've been busy lately but that isnt why i stopped...i stopped because it seems no one is interested again...i started this project so that we can learn from each other...i would have stopped a long time ago if not for the encouragement webdezzi gave me...

I find it hard to beleive that no one has been able to consume the web service even with a language as Popular as PHP.

Well,
The HTMl parser has been created thanks to webdezzi.
The contact us form is working well...Thanks to webdezzi and chimanet

-we need to create a type of API/documentation that will enable developers consume the web service...

-We also need to create a mobile version of the site

-Also we can do some off-page SEO for it

And i dont think i can continue doing this things on my own you guys are not encouraging me...but if some one can volunteer to do any of the things above...i will apreciate it and the project will be back to life...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by dpuzo: 11:31am On Sep 11, 2012
U shld try something more profitable. I working on one if you are intrested.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 11:56am On Sep 11, 2012
^ like??
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by mj(m): 12:44pm On Sep 11, 2012
I'll work on sometn...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by lordZOUGA(m): 2:24pm On Sep 11, 2012
Javanian: I've been busy lately but that isnt why i stopped...i stopped because it seems no one is interested again...i started this project so that we can learn from each other...i would have stopped a long time ago if not for the encouragement webdezzi gave me...

I find it hard to beleive that no one has been able to consume the web service even with a language as Popular as PHP.

Well,
The HTMl parser has been created thanks to webdezzi.
The contact us form is working well...Thanks to webdezzi and chimanet

-we need to create a type of API/documentation that will enable developers consume the web service...

-We also need to create a mobile version of the site

-Also we can do some off-page SEO for it

And i dont think i can continue doing this things on my own you guys are not encouraging me...but if some one can volunteer to do any of the things above...i will apreciate it and the project will be back to life...
I would have helped but I see no use case for what you are developing
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 3:14pm On Sep 11, 2012
^ i taught as much...i know many might not appreciate it...but like i said my main aim was for us to learn from each other @lordZouga and @all someone should suggest another project android(preferably) or web...@mj you can still continue if you are working on it...i still want to round it up...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by lordZOUGA(m): 4:04pm On Sep 11, 2012
Javanian: ^ i taught as much...i know many might not appreciate it...but like i said my main aim was for us to learn from each other @lordZouga and @all someone should suggest another project android(preferably) or web...@mj you can still continue if you are working on it...i still want to round it up...
online whot game that accepts bets and other forms of game modes
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 4:28pm On Sep 11, 2012
Web application or android?
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by lordZOUGA(m): 4:35pm On Sep 11, 2012
Javanian: Web application or android?
both... users can play offline with the AI or play networked with their buddies(WLAN or bluetooth) or online with hosts of other users. an easy project once you make a nice enough AI
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by lordZOUGA(m): 4:43pm On Sep 11, 2012
or you could make a forum software that offers APIs for mobile developers with nice features like chat? and then sell it at a much cheaper price than vbulletin and others. you might consider developing it in a language like java or C++ for faster and much secure services
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 4:46pm On Sep 11, 2012
Not a bad idea...but
1, how will you acheive the betting part?
2, what languages are you familar with?
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by lordZOUGA(m): 4:50pm On Sep 11, 2012
Javanian: Not a bad idea...but
1, how will you acheive the betting part?
2, what languages are you familar with?
the betting part is easy. before you play a game with anyone, you two agree on a certain amount that should be given to a winner. the system should be able to detect whoever wins and automatically gives the person his prize
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 4:56pm On Sep 11, 2012
That means we will most likely need a payment gateway or is there anyother option?.

I ask again what languages are you familar with?
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Chimanet(m): 4:57pm On Sep 11, 2012
@javanian
yeah, am still intrested in the project, i had difficulty following your instruction about how to consume the webservice using netbeans(java), i go confused at the stage where u started talking of ur main class
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by lordZOUGA(m): 5:05pm On Sep 11, 2012
Javanian: That means we will most likely need a payment gateway or is there anyother option?.

I ask again what languages are you familar with?

yeah, we will need that. I know C++ and most of its useful paradigms and methodologies. are you interested in developing this?
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 5:12pm On Sep 11, 2012
Chimanet: @javanian
yeah, am still intrested in the project, i had difficulty following your instruction about how to consume the webservice using netbeans(java), i go confused at the stage where u started talking of ur main class
The main class is any class or jsp page you want to display it. Refer to this article if have any other problem.
http://netbeans.org/kb/docs/websvc/jax-ws.html

it wont work if you dont have an internet connection
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 5:15pm On Sep 11, 2012
---
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 5:16pm On Sep 11, 2012
lordZOUGA:
yeah, we will need that. I know C++ and most of its useful paradigms and methodologies. are you interested in developing this?
i'm interested but for now i dont do c++...when you do Android do you also use c++??...i'm concerned about the language issue because i want to use a language many are familar with...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by dpuzo: 6:17pm On Sep 11, 2012
Javanian:
i'm interested but for now i dont do c++...when you do Android do you also use c++??...i'm concerned about the language issue because i want to use a language many are familar with...
I'm workin on sometin like dat if u r intrested i jst need help with the server side and i use java.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by lordZOUGA(m): 9:23pm On Sep 11, 2012
Javanian:
ermmm.. this is supposed to be open source right? my bad. I don't think this project should be open source at all. game development on android is done with C++ I think thats what the ndk is there for to enable leverage the device's openGL ES capabilities
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 9:29pm On Sep 11, 2012
Unfortunately i dont do c++ so i will have to opt for something else cry

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? / Are Mini Laptops Good For Programming? / 10 Nights Of Cloning Nairaland With PHP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.