Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

Creating An Open-source Java Web Service - Programming (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Creating An Open-source Java Web Service (15309 Views)

Advise On Good Java Web Application Framework / [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) / Web Service Using Java Or C# (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 11:39pm On Aug 06, 2012
Yes
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Nobody: 9:13am On Aug 07, 2012
but you know the source sites content may change without prior notice, hope you put that into consideration?
so whats html parser are you using?
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 9:43am On Aug 07, 2012
^^^I havent done that yet...i'm working on deploying the service today...then that will come next...i wish someone can help me do that...Any volunteer to create the HTML Parser??, you can use this one http://htmlparser.sourceforge.net/ and retreive the data from the websites on page 1 of this thread and store them as Strings
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Chimanet(m): 10:21pm On Aug 07, 2012
Watsup??
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 11:16pm On Aug 07, 2012
^^^Still in progress...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Chimanet(m): 11:59pm On Aug 07, 2012
oK, jst keep us updated
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 5:52pm On Aug 13, 2012
UPDATE
Sorry for not updating you guys all this while. 90% of the work has been done but my major challenge now is hosting the web service as hosting java sites are quite expensive so i had to suspend the project. If anyone is interested in carrying on i will render any possible assistance to see that it is a success. I appreciate every one who contributed in one way or the other A-zed, spike-c, Xterra2, lordZOUGA, chimanet. I also thank all the viewers who could not contribute because money is not involved for one reason or the other.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by DAvIt0(m): 5:59pm On Aug 13, 2012
Javanian: UPDATE
Sorry for not updating you guys all this while. 90% of the work has been done but my major challenge now is hosting the web service as hosting java sites are quite expensive so i had to suspend the project. If anyone is interested in carrying on i will render any possible assistance to see that it is a success. I appreciate every one who contributed in one way or the other A-zed, spike-c, Xterra2, lordZOUGA, chimanet. I also thank all the viewers who could not contribute because money is not involved for one reason or the other.

hah!!!!! money nt involved lol
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Nobody: 8:49am On Aug 14, 2012
Javanian: UPDATE

what are the server requirements?
I once created a red5 media server which required java,
For it to run at all, java takes up up to 512MB on a virgin server.
I can create a linux server instance here if RAM requirements is <=1GB
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 8:57am On Aug 14, 2012
- It should have tomcat or glassfish(preferably).

- if its tomcat it should have JAX-WS RI dependencies to run the web service

- 1 gig ram should do for a start

JVM as you know
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Nobody: 8:26pm On Aug 14, 2012
have you registered a domain for this project?
i'll need the Name Server pointed to

dns1.stabletransit.com
dns2.stabletransit.com

it will be better to exchange these confidential info by email
email sledgehammer23401 at yahoo dot com

Also consider returning JSON also, developers are really tending towards JSON nowadays.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 10:04pm On Aug 14, 2012
^ yes i have a registered domain and i'll have it pointed to your name servers as soon as possible also i'll look into JSON tommorow...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Nobody: 10:41pm On Aug 14, 2012
do you require any database installation? or just pulling data directly from source website to end user
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 10:59pm On Aug 14, 2012
Yes...it requires a datbase...data is retreived from the source website and stored in the database...MYSQL to be precise....
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Nobody: 11:39pm On Aug 14, 2012
looking through the source, it appears the data wont be much, just the top10
in that case, i dont think it will take up too much RAM if data is held in Memory (if possible) so all subsequent request is responded to without hitting the database
i've setup the server as specified with Tomcat6 on CentOS 6.3, let me know when you are done with the DNS pointing
also the IP address is available while the dns propagates if you want it
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 9:01am On Aug 15, 2012
The Domain name is now pointing to the name servers, so lets give it a while to propagate.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by mj(m): 1:25pm On Aug 15, 2012
Where was I all this while, I've been seeing this thread but never bothered to read it, probably because I don't do 2 much of Java stuffs but I wrk with JSP, I use JSP for my final year project oooo. At this point you guys have really gone far, probably I'll start working on the how to consume the web service in php or asp.net, I mean warming up. I'm proud of you all, I love the template design Xterra2, Javanian well done ma.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 15, 2012
mj: Where was I all this while, I've been seeing this thread but never bothered to read it, probably because I don't do 2 much of Java stuffs but I wrk with JSP, I use JSP for my final year project oooo. At this point you guys have really gone far, probably I'll start working on the how to consume the web service in php or asp.net, I mean warming up. I'm proud of you all, I love the template design Xterra2, Javanian well done ma.

same here, i just walk by as it's usual, project never get completed here.
you can contribute also by coming up with base example codes in php or asp.net as you have said.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 10:16pm On Aug 15, 2012
mj: Where was I all this while, I've been seeing this thread but never bothered to read it, probably because I don't do 2 much of Java stuffs but I wrk with JSP, I use JSP for my final year project oooo. At this point you guys have really gone far, probably I'll start working on the how to consume the web service in php or asp.net, I mean warming up. I'm proud of you all, I love the template design Xterra2, Javanian well done ma.
you are very much welcome...Thanks for joining us...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 10:18pm On Aug 15, 2012
@webdezzi i think the propagation has been done...it now directs me to a tomcat homepage...so whats next??
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Nobody: 12:10am On Aug 16, 2012
sledgehammer23401 at yahoo dot com
send me a mail so i can forward details back
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 12:35am On Aug 16, 2012
Check your email
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by xterra2(m): 10:01am On Aug 16, 2012

thank you for liking the design
i even did some little modification to the site
thanks again
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 1:16pm On Aug 16, 2012
Javanian: Check your email
still waiting for your reply...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Nobody: 1:43pm On Aug 16, 2012
check your mail.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by tedjazz(m): 2:19pm On Aug 16, 2012
wow!! I have been following each step from the begining...you guyz are awesome. Well done to erry one.. Let us knw wen u ar done..so i can be one of the first pple to use it
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by tdops: 2:55pm On Aug 17, 2012
I have been secretly following this thread behind the scenes. So any suggestions on when we can see the finish work?
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 11:17pm On Aug 17, 2012
UPDATE
I have received a CentOS linux server from webdezzi....so i'm still configuring the enviroments and making installations...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by spikesC(m): 3:12am On Aug 18, 2012
still hiding behind the curtains waiting to devour the web service grin

Javanian, it's now taking too long o
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by langsholt: 5:09pm On Aug 20, 2012
with the antitheft directory people who list their stolen car should be able to also list a reward. If a user find the car, and somehow report to police and car is retrieved he will receive the reward! This will make it more interesting for people to actually visit anticar theft website.

Just a opinion from a norwegian engineer that use effort in making webservices attractive so people actually use them.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 12:13pm On Aug 21, 2012
UPDATE
i have finally deployed the web service its now in the testing stage

Returns Laptop Ranking as XML: http://gadgetslim.com/LaptopXML?wsdl
Returns Laptop Ranking as HTML: http://gadgetslim.com/Laptops?wsdl
Returns Phone Ranking as HTML: http://gadgetslim.com/Phones?wsdl
Returns Phone Ranking as XML: http://gadgetslim.com/PhonesXML?wsdl
Returns Smart Phone Ranking as XML: http://gadgetslim.com/SmartPhonesXML?wsdl
Returns Smart Phone Ranking as HTML: http://gadgetslim.com/SmartPhones?wsdl

grin grin grin
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 12:14pm On Aug 21, 2012
If you want to help test or consume the web service...i suggest you go and learn how to consume web services with WSDL (web service descriptor link) in your various languages, google is your friend. it is platform independent.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? / Are Mini Laptops Good For Programming? / 10 Nights Of Cloning Nairaland With PHP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.