Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,210 members, 7,815,223 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

What Do You Think About Eternity? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Do You Think About Eternity? (11567 Views)

Quran Testifies To The Bible: It Says It Stands Till Eternity / Is It Fair That A Mere 70 Years Of ‪‎Sin‬ Be Punished By An Eternity In ‪‎Hell? / "How Is An Eternity In Hell A Just Punishment For Only A Human Lifetime Of Sin?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Aug 01, 2012
@blogger 1.0, Christians like you tire me o, I no lie you. You read one portion of the Bible and you run off thinking that you know something. Why don't you read 1 Cor 15:35-58 and John 20:19-21:14 as well as 1 Thess 4:13-5:11 and Rev 19-20 and come back and tell me this wonderful doctrine of an eternity of disembodied existence?

Furthermore, if you're living right and doing good all to avoid hell and gain heaven, my brother, your heart is not perfect with your God. I didn't say that you are o, I said, "if you are..."
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Aug 01, 2012
cyrexx:

i created a thread that discusses faith in religions sometimes ago

https://www.nairaland.com/972251/understanding-religious-delusion

Ok. I'm kinda tired from all the nl activity today. I'll check it out later.
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by truthislight: 2:30pm On Aug 01, 2012
cyrexx:

really, i dont mind your asking if you really want to know.
But that answer is long and will derail this thread.

thank you for telling em,

the trinity is not even a bible derived doctrine.

The live force = the spirit
it animate a mold that comes to be a living soul. QED

or

the force = electric current
on entering a bulb or a device it comes alive or becomes a soul.

Is it that the mold from the dust like a block was the soul? No. It became a soul when it came alive or like bulb, it light.

When the force goes out = a mold.

Genesis 3;19. Adam was no where befor he was created, on dying he went no where. From dus he was taken to dust you shall return.

Or is someone telling me that Adam was existing somewhere befor he was created?

Only thing that goes out is the life force that belong to God, it simply Gods power.

Eg, When NEPA takes power does it draw back the current? Does it take the shape of the Device?

Consider God as the one that generated the power.

Soul dies Ezikiel 18;4,

Animal are soul Numbers 31;28 are you saying all the animal will also go to be with God?

Man and Animal are the same and die the same. Ezikiel 3:19

if soul is not the life that we lost when we die it will then mean that all the animal, chicken, bird, insects, etc that has life are some place, or with God.
Peace

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by truthislight: 2:52pm On Aug 01, 2012
blogger1.0:

I don't get you bro, is heaven not and eternal life not the reason why we live a good life and obey God's commandment and avoid sin in the first place?
Trust me, it has nothing to do with being a good person at all. Take for instance i could say i won't steal, kill or commit adultery just for me to be seen as a good person. And trust me while am not doing these things, I could be [s]lying to my wife or friends, lusting after women, fornicating, cheating in exams, overpricing my goods to cheat customers who don't have good bargaining power, etc.[/s] and yet be still seen as a good person and heck, i would even see myself as a good person too. Or won't you? But the truth is that the fear of God in us an the love for heaven and fear of hell we have in us would make us not to do the above bolded 'small sins'.

all you lovers of God hate what is bad, the bible says, not because of purnishment or reward.

Everlasting life is an incentive for those that love rigtheousenes. Yes it can be an attraction for the wicked to change.

But are not the laws rational enough that u should adopt and personalize?
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 01, 2012
truthislight:

or

Is it that the mold from the dust like a block was the soul? No. It became a soul when it came alive or like bulb, it light.

Genesis 3;19. Adam was no where befor he was created, on dying he went no where. From dus he was taken to dust you shall return.

Only thing that goes out is the life force that belong to God, it simply Gods power.

Eg, When NEPA takes power does it draw back the current? Does it take the shape of the Device?

Soul dies Ezikiel 18;4,

Animal are soul Numbers 31;28 are you saying all the animal will also go to be with God?

if soul is not the life that we lost when we die it will then mean that all the animal, chicken, bird, insects, etc that has life are some place, or with God.
Peace

Na wa o, bros. I don de nl since morning. Too much typing don tire me. But where in the world did you get ideas like you posted here? The way you insist on electricity makes me wonder if you're saying that that is what the spirit is.

Bros, abeg, I accepted you as a Christian when I first encountered you on Anony's thread, why you come de fall my hand now?

The very sacrifice that makes us Christians and acceptable to God takes its meaning from the fact that the Man Who died on that Cross was God Himself. If He wasn't, there was no sacrifice in His dying, rather was there incredible foolishness. If He wasn't then He could not by dying have atoned adequately for every man's sin. It's impossible to belong among Christians when that is in question. You'll kick against Christ wherever you find Him because this will always be a stumbling block to you.

As to the matter of the spirit, soul and body, did Jesus Christ rise from the dead? If you agree that He did, what was He like when He did? Was He a disembodied spirit or a woozy cloud of ideas and feelings? Are we not told that at the resurrection we will be like Him? And before you jump on the fact that that is special and reserved only for the righteous, do the Scriptures not mention a resurrection for the unbelieving as well? Does it not say that the dead even in the sea (whose physical body ought to have been consumed by the creatures of the waters) are given up to face their Judgment? If there were no resurrection of the body and the spirit had gone back to God who gave it (as you said) and the soul had been extinguished, how does the sea give them up? My brother, be careful what you do with the Scriptures, you did not write them. Let the One Who wrote them interpret them. And you must compare Scripture with Scripture when you dare to interpret.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 01, 2012
truthislight:

well then, you have just given answer to how you will feel (never getting tierd) if u will be given eternal life were you will ever leave life at your prime.

As long you are fully usefull in this life though imperfect YOU CANT PICK A DAY TO DIE, SO, IF THE USEFULL LIFE KEEPS EXRENDING, U WILL SIMPLY ENJOY IT AS MUCH AS IT WILL LAST.
What you have just said in the bible it says that God has put eternity into the heart of men. Even an old man NEVER wants to die. It is instictive.

Using what you said, whenever u want to consider eternal live, in perfect health, 100% brain capacity. Unlimited resources will ever be pleasant . Infact, the way it is put in the bible is this:

EYES HAVE NOT SEEN, EARS HAVE NOT HEARD, NEITHER HAS IT COME TO THE HEART OF MEN WHAT GOD HAS KEPT IN STORE FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM.

Should help you to know that life eternal WILL NEVER be boring
Peace
Very tempting bro, lets just hope we dont get bored doing those things without end.
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by truthislight: 5:57pm On Aug 01, 2012
@ihedinoby

u are the one saying that i am calling holy spirit electric current.

U are still the one saying that am of the opinion that there will be no resurection.

I did not say any of those things,

i only use electric current that most people can easily understand to explain what the bible says about soul and spirit, that the man is the soul, that there is no extra thing inside the man called a soul.

about resurection, is God hands tied that he will not bring back people to live?

Are u saying that all the people he has created including Adam that they where some where that is why he was able to create human?

All he needs is to have a memory of who and who he wants to resurect and Thats it.

Was it not his spirit that started the life in Adam and every other human, why will he not be able to bring them back to life, those he want to? John5:28,29

I think you are the one that is limiting him to human parameters and limitations, thinking that if he does not send what you call soul to some where he will not be able to resurect them back to life.

Immotality of the soul is taught in all religions that dont even make use of the bible, then, was it from the bible they learnt that the soul is immortal?
Why do u then think it is a bible base teaching?

If you will easily accept that satan is a liar, that those other religion worship satan, and that outside the bible there is no truth, are you then telling me that satan thought all those people the truth on this matter? Even though they dont carry the bible?

What do you think ancestor worship is?
Our ancient forefathers were right abi?
Then why christianity?

Immortality of the soul is not a bible base teaching. QED.

U mention Jesus resurection but i dont understand the sense of the question, try and be more specific.
Yes, Jesus resurected.
Peace

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Aug 01, 2012
cyrexx:

bro, i think, thats why i will say to you that your wish to see the wicked punished is the inner desire of everyone which religion promises to fulfil but which it CANNOT fulfil.
for instance would you be happy to be in the same heaven with armed robber who stole millions that affected you, killed many innocent people that you know, ra.ped so many innocent girls (one of whom is Kiara, for the sake of our discussion) and commit all manner of wickedness, only to give his life to christ few seconds before his death.

Or about our dear innocent Kiara, who was raised a muslim, lived a good moral life, prayed to god to protect him but was ra.ped by an armed robber, only to die by accident the following year and find herself in hell for not accepting christ as her savoiur. the injustice against her by the armed robber was forgotten by this god and she will spend eternity in hell fire.

my friend, the harsh reality is that this world is full of injustice and religion will only console you by saying that you will be rewarded in the second non-existent life.
if you find comfort in that, pls continue following your religion, i wont discourage you.

i am an atheist, and i believe in life BEFORE death, not after death. so i do everything i can to realistically help people and make the best use of their life in this wicked world.

cheers
You have a strong point there cyrexx. But trust me those bad people will never go unpunished because God says so. He is a God of vengeance; thats why he asked us to leave vengeance to him. Even the ones that repent before they die, they will steal pay dearly before they enter the kingdom of God because God said it himself; nothing unclean shall ever enter my kingdom. So let no evil man think he can play on God's intelligence.
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Aug 01, 2012
Ihedinobi: @blogger 1.0, Christians like you tire me o, I no lie you. You read one portion of the Bible and you run off thinking that you know something. Why don't you read 1 Cor 15:35-58 and John 20:19-21:14 as well as 1 Thess 4:13-5:11 and Rev 19-20 and come back and tell me this wonderful doctrine of an eternity of disembodied existence?

Furthermore, if you're living right and doing good all to avoid hell and gain heaven, my brother, your heart is not perfect with your God. I didn't say that you are o, I said, "if you are..."
Since you've read and understood the scriptures very well, why don' you enlighten here instead of giving me assignment.
And you don't even have the right to judge my faith as a Christian because you are not perfect either.
as for the bolded, it seems you don't know the scriptures well. Jesus told us that all our good would definitely be rewarded in heaven. Heaven is and therefore should be our ultimate goal in our lives on earth. It is meant to be a motivation for us because relying on our self alone to stop us commiting sin will only lead us to fail woefully. There is absolutely nothing wrong in living a good life to earn the rewards that God promises us in heaven.
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by truthislight: 1:20pm On Aug 02, 2012
For a teaching to be called a bible teaching it has to be consistent with other part of the bible, from GENESIS to Revelation.

Picking just a part out of context and condemning other part that does not agree is wrong.

All persons that takes the bible as God's word owe it to themself to ensure that their believes are consistent with the Bible from GENESIS to Revelation.

That should involve some seriouse bible study.

Not just following the crowd.
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by truthislight: 11:11pm On Aug 02, 2012
truthislight:

or

Soul dies Ezikiel 18;4,

Peace

the believes on ancestors and ancestor worship is base on the premise that there is a soul that leaves the body at death.
This worship we know is directed at satan and his demons,

to get this worship satan tells lies to misdirect people.

satan uses lies to get people away from true worship, once he gets people to get their believes wrong he knows that God will abandon and reject such worship just like God did Abandon the nation of Israel when they turn to false worship.

Same today, gives reasons for one to make sure of what he/she believes in.
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by Nobody: 10:25am On Aug 03, 2012
@truthislight: If you'd like to discuss the make-up of the human being and whether or not the Bible teaches that the human being is a trinity of body, soul and spirit, please open a thread and detail your position with evidence from the Bible upholding it and I will meet you there.

I suggest that you do the same with the concept of the Trinity of God in a new thread.

I do not like to hurl arguments at people and shout them down (I have a natural tendency to do so), so I'm asking you to do this so that we can examine reasonably our positions and see what the Bible says so that we can both be corrected and encouraged. I will not discuss the issues here at all, I hope you can understand.
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by truthislight: 4:54pm On Aug 03, 2012
Ihedinobi: @truthislight: If you'd like to discuss the make-up of the human being and whether or not the Bible teaches that the human being is a trinity of body, soul and spirit, please open a thread and detail your position with evidence from the Bible upholding it and I will meet you there.

I suggest that you do the same with the concept of the Trinity of God in a new thread.

I do not like to hurl arguments at people and shout them down (I have a natural tendency to do so), so I'm asking you to do this so that we can examine reasonably our positions and see what the Bible says so that we can both be corrected and encouraged. I will not discuss the issues here at all, I hope you can understand.

well, it is not a personal thing,
However, there are thread currently running on this forum on trinity, about two of such threads
One on by Frosbel titled: we worship one true God......
Why not go through it and see what has been said and what you can add to it?

I am already following it, you can join up.

Note, it is good to go through the thread from the start as to fully get the picture as to what has been said.
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Aug 03, 2012
truthislight:

well, it is not a personal thing,
However, there are thread currently running on this forum on trinity, about two of such threads
One on by Frosbel titled: we worship one true God......
Why not go through it and see what has been said and what you can add to it?

I am already following it, you can join up.

Note, it is good to go through the thread from the start as to fully get the picture as to what has been said.

post the link here
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by truthislight: 10:47am On Aug 04, 2012
Ihedinobi:

post the link here

right now am using my phone, cant post the link.

you can go to my profile from there you will see the threads on trinity by Frosbel.

Better still, go to oladegbu profile he posted on that thread recently from his profile you can access it when you go though his post.
Click on the name it will take you to their profile.
Peace
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Aug 04, 2012
Eternity is potentially active in world of abstract(in our minds) not in reality. So, it is something that cannot be proven to exist.
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by fankasibe: 5:07pm On Aug 04, 2012
*VAMPIRE mode activated*
it sucks to live tooo long no matter how rich u ar......i will celebrate my 560 years birthday on 22 of dis month.
I'm tired already....
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by Orikinla(m): 5:07pm On Aug 04, 2012
We are all going to end up there.
But you cannot tell in which form until then.
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 04, 2012
@truthislight, I've checked it out. It's a long, very tedious thread with a multitudes of ideas that read like a cacophony. I started a new thread to address the same issue from another perspective, perhaps the most correct and unassailable perspective possible.

The link is www.nairaland.com/1009156/trinity-true-false-love-perspective

Feel free to address yourself to the matter as I have presented it there.
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:15pm On Aug 04, 2012
how can you experience eternity when this consciousness, this body, this soul, this spirit is incapable of (imperfect) experiencing greater consciousness beyond the boundaries of our limited knowledge. Yes we inherit new spirit bodies capable of living in heaven and yet retain our debilitating human consciousness (awareness) needs, concerns and pitiful aspirations of comfort and escape from pain and suffering. What escapes most people today is that choice is the driver for purpose without which we are mere automatons moving according to the designs/instructions/will of its creator - if you wish to experience eternity then you must know this - it is no different from experiencing Death - Cold, Silent, Nothingness
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by deprince0(m): 5:17pm On Aug 04, 2012
buzugee: The world will not end but your world will end for a period of time. hence why we are called mortals.

Wrong Doctorine. The world will definitely end.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by psalmizt(m): 5:20pm On Aug 04, 2012
Interesting topic i must say. Here's what i used to think back in the days, if i had no idea of this world of forms and probably existed in the world of thought, then wen i do leave this perishable container i shld return neva to worry abt my actions and inactions. It'll simply be as it was in d beginning. Abi na who kno wetin him be like before being born as a man?
Well here's my current thot, certain things happen to you wen you get born again. Like what 2cor 5vs17 says, you 'll become a new creature. And d book of isaiah corroborates it by saying ye shall be given a new heart. Now this heart longs for one thing and one thing only. Fellowship wit the father. It creates a true atmosphere of love which the mortal body is unable to fathom let alone satisfy. It creates this insatiable longing which looks forward to eternity. It 's dis eternity that i long for. As for whether your family and loved ones 'll be in hell, well does it not happen here on earth. The grief 'll be washed away by d joy of knowing the one true God. So me thinks eternity wont be as boring as some ll like to paint it. It 'll answer our greatest yearning of worshipping without restriction. Living withou sorrow. Perfection as it ought to be. At this point my finger hurts:-) to be continued.
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by amosy007: 5:21pm On Aug 04, 2012
Eternity sounds like fat ass fairy tale
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by deprince0(m): 5:23pm On Aug 04, 2012
Martian:

In all likelihood, that's what we ALL get. Your neurons will stop firing and your"soul" meaning your conciousness will cease to exist........................I'm 99.9% sure of this. The .01% is because of the possibility of one of these religions being true and their heaven being real or a "soul" actually being a real thing.
Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, hebrews 9 :27
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Aug 04, 2012
amosy007: Eternity sounds like fat ass fairy tale
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by deprince0(m): 5:27pm On Aug 04, 2012
musKeeto:
Get used to it. Drop superstitions. Enjoy what time you have on earth. Make a few people happy..
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. matt 12:36

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by deprince0(m): 5:40pm On Aug 04, 2012
cyrexx:

i feel you, bro. the concept of eternity is not well thought out in religions, it has some absurdities and illogicalities.
for instance, how will you enjoy eternity in paradise when you know that some of your non-chrstian family members are roasting alive somewhere else.
you will be forced to worship this loving god who in his omniscience knows that some of your non-christian family members will reject him and be roasted alive forever.

i will prefer to cease to exist than to live in that heaven.
thank goodness, i just remebered that i'm not immortal and i will actually cease to exist one day one day, therefore that heaven/hell crap is irrelevant and not worth disturbing one's brain with.

to me, thats the good news that must be shared to everyone

Now the question is where will u be after life here on earth. Do not be deceived for God is not mocked, whatsoever a man soweth that he shall reap. u have an opporunity to decide now either to with God or with satan. For brothers and sisters. My dear, there is no brother and sister in the spirit realm. Everyone shall give account of himself. Dad will stand on his own answering for himself while mom will stand on her own answering for herself. Children will stand on their individual note answering for themselves. Dad won't know mom vice versa. Don't give yourself over to an itching ear bcause heaven and hell is real.
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by Oyanameh(m): 5:43pm On Aug 04, 2012
Eternity is an unendless abode for human beign,it may may either in HEAVEN or hell......
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by cyrexx: 5:46pm On Aug 04, 2012
deprince0:

Now the question is where will u be after life here on earth.
...heaven and hell is real.

Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by KINGwax(m): 5:52pm On Aug 04, 2012
cyrexx:

Mr Truthislight,
fortunately this is where i fully agree with you, although i disagree with some other things you say.
Christians dont know how shallow they sound when they say that they are good because of fear of eternal punishment in hell. So if there is no hell, they will not be moral.
How shallow.
I dont believe in hell and still i do good because its the good thing to do, not because i want reward or fear punishment.
Like i said, if i ever return to christianity it will NEVER be because i fear hell, but because i see a convincing evidence that Yahweh is more than a Jewish conceptions of deity (like Arabian conception of deity in the form of Allah), that Yahweh is really existent and answers prayers like the scriptures says about him. Otherwise, i'm done with religion FOREVER AND EVER.
But like you said, its a talk for another day, lets not derail this thread.
Peace.
allow me to come in Sir, even though i've been enjoying reading the debateable comments which in itself is educative. But, as i christian, i was made to biliv dt hell and heaven are real. Even if it were only to curtail wicked activities as u said, i'm glad. My bible made me undstnd dt without law, sins are abound, and submission is never in any human spirit. The reason u never shouted back at your boss, was because of d outcome, not because u never wanted to so, the aspect of it guiding ONLY the christians aint an argument. It's our call. All of us. Thank you
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by lazreality: 5:53pm On Aug 04, 2012
lukn at matt 12 : 36, i dnt think no man will see heaven, bt by his grace and mercy
Re: What Do You Think About Eternity? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 04, 2012
Why do bad things happen to good people?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Life Is More Meaningless With God / How Many Souls Escaped The 'Hell' Fire Of Sodom And Gomorrah? / Dominion: RCCG 66th Annual Convention, August 6-12th, 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.