Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,555 members, 7,770,431 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:37 AM

Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò (123358 Views)

Indigenous Hausa Tubali Architecture / The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! / Benin Art And Architecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 3:42pm On Sep 02, 2012
Go to my signature.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 11:16pm On Sep 02, 2012

"Well at Arochuku [Abia State, Nigeria]
Donald A MacAlister, 1901"
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 11:51pm On Sep 03, 2012
Signature
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 11:51pm On Sep 03, 2012

"Interior of an Igbo Mbari shrine, Nigeria. Photo by Edward Chadwick, 1930s."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by Crayola1: 12:36am On Sep 11, 2012

BENDE AGBAMAZU. Compound of Ogidi Kalu. Altar inside the living room [and] living room door.
Zbigniew Dmochowski, 1960s
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by Yujin(m): 1:50pm On Sep 12, 2012
May God bless you and the photographers for giving us the opportunity of glimpsing into olden days Alaigbo. What a beautiful art. It is sad that such identities are fading/have faded drastically while we are not extinct. Couldn't such unique designs be incorporated into the modern structures to give it the 'Igbo style' just like we have the Italian, Arabian, Spanish styles etc? Olisa meere anyi ebere.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 11:46pm On Sep 12, 2012
Of course they can, but most Nigerians don't know themselves.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 2:51am On Sep 14, 2012

"Uratta-Igbo Mbari shrine. A. A. Whitehouse, 1904. [Imo State, Nigeria]."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by OneNaira6: 6:19am On Sep 14, 2012
It so beautiful. Its always nice to get a glimpse of the past. Waiting for your next update smiley
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 9:54pm On Sep 14, 2012
Moved to the forum omambala[dot]com
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 10:10pm On Sep 24, 2012

"18 April 1903
Juju erections in Kurikka’s compound near A.D.C.’s house Aro-Chuku [now in Abia State, Nigeria]
Charles Partridge"
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 10:11pm On Sep 24, 2012
Gone omambala.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 2:37am On Sep 25, 2012
Moved.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:49pm On Oct 16, 2012

"The interior of an Obu meeting house in Asaga village showing two large life-sized figures of a male and female standing on a raised platform.
G. I . Jones, Ohafia, Nigeria. 1930s. Igbo peoples."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:50pm On Oct 16, 2012

"House building in the forest region
G. I. Jones. 1930s. Igbo people, Nigeria."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 3:09pm On Dec 04, 2012
[img]http://mccoy.lib.siu.edu/jmccall/jones/igbo/arunsi11.JPG[/img]

I don't know if this has already posted.

A shrine in Nsude, now Enugu state.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by Abagworo(m): 9:20pm On Dec 04, 2012
Igbo pyramids
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by odumchi: 4:09am On Dec 05, 2012
How exactly did those Nike pyramids serve as shrines?
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:26pm On Dec 27, 2012

"An Igbo mbari religious building built for the earth goddess Ala. Nnnorie, near Owere, Nigeria. Herbert M. Cole, 1969."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:33pm On Dec 27, 2012

"The largest single mbari structure still standing in 1966-67, and perhaps one of the largest ever built. Note the size of the priest who is standing beside the seated deity. [Nigeria, unknown date; maybe early 20th century].
Herbert M. Cole, 1982."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:35pm On Dec 27, 2012

"Interior of Igbo mbari religious house by Edward Chadwick, early 20th century."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:36pm On Dec 27, 2012

"A pillar from a ruined Obu house with skulls of human, horse. leopard and harnessed antelope. The pillar consists of a rounded base with a long vertical pillar with two carved stylised figures with knees slightly bent and feet perched on platform. The figure at the top is male and the figure on the bottom is female. In the background is a mud and thatched house and a group of spectators.
G. I. Jones, early 20th century."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 6:45pm On Dec 28, 2012

"View of the gallery of a large mbari [Igbo deity house]; it houses a number of relatively informal figures and groups. [Nigeria, unknown date; maybe early 20th century].
Herbert M. Cole, 1982.|"
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 11:02pm On Apr 28, 2013

"The largest single mbari structure still standing in 1966-67, and perhaps one of the largest ever built. Note the size of the priest who is standing beside the seated deity. [Nigeria, unknown date; maybe early 20th century].
Herbert M. Cole, 1982."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 11:03pm On Apr 28, 2013

"An Igbo mbari religious building built for the earth goddess Ala. Nnnorie, near Owere, Nigeria. Herbert M. Cole, 1969."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 11:07pm On Apr 28, 2013

"PREPARING “IDE” FOR MAKING STRING (OBULUKU)
Northcote Thomas, Early 20th century."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ChinenyeN(m): 11:47pm On Apr 28, 2013
I wonder how many communities have been anthropologically overlooked. I still like this topic though. Hopefully, in the future, some kind of database project can be undergone to catalog and store this information.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by RandomAfricanAm: 12:02am On Apr 30, 2013
ChinenyeN: Here's what makes me upset. It takes a high degree of specialized language in order to communicate these architectural ideas; language that involves terminology for the concepts of geometry, measurement and logistics. The lack of active written records also means that people had no choice but to really know what it was they were doing and also know how to communicate that knowledge to others that they were working with, because otherwise, they would not be able to produce these works. I wonder now how many people still have this knowledge and to the same specialized degree. The lexicon would be invaluable to language development.

Anyway, let me not break the flow here. I just felt like getting that out of my mind.

I figured most specilized craft was done by "secret societies". Most of the writing / pictographs i've seen in different ethnic groups was done by those societies. If you're in Nigeria how bout asking around to see if you could snoop out something? :\
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 10:33pm On Sep 12, 2013
Some Igbo architectural terms:

énété - verandah
mgbáchí - ceiling
mkpọ́chí - roof
ídé - post
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by odumchi: 5:20pm On Oct 11, 2013
Chai.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 11:23pm On Jan 03, 2014

"The entrance to a “chiefs” compound, G.T Basen, 20th century"
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 11:27pm On Jan 03, 2014

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! / Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.