Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,098 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:12 AM

Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò (123342 Views)

Indigenous Hausa Tubali Architecture / The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! / Benin Art And Architecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:22pm On Aug 11, 2012
Imo area. Mbari house.

"Mbari temple house."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:22pm On Aug 11, 2012

"Bird-like creature giving birth to a human in an Mbari (beauty earth godess shrine)."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:31pm On Aug 11, 2012

Mbari earth shrine mural.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:34pm On Aug 11, 2012

Igbo farmers house built in Staunton, Virginia as a museum piece/slavery memorial.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:42pm On Aug 11, 2012
[img]http://1.bp..com/-yFeipUS56cI/T9xInIBS_pI/AAAAAAAAA3I/LPgFCzALtew/s500/ogirisi.JPG[/img]

Ohafia compound. I think that tree may be a shrine.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:45pm On Aug 11, 2012
[img]http://jonesarchive.siu.edu/wp-content/uploads/%CE%A9-arunsi-abam11.jpg[/img]

"Arunsi near obu in
Abam (close-up)"

Are you seeing what I'm seeing?
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:48pm On Aug 11, 2012
[img]http://jonesarchive.siu.edu/wp-content/uploads/arunsi10.jpg[/img]

"Pyramids Nsude village shrine, Abaja, Northern Igbo"
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:51pm On Aug 11, 2012
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:59pm On Aug 11, 2012
Not really furnishing, but I think you get the point.

"Ikoro slit drum."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 6:00pm On Aug 11, 2012
See the painting of the building beside him.

Igbo palm wine tapper.
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 6:28pm On Aug 11, 2012
Unknown origin.

"Interior of Chief’s Compound. I[g]bo.
P. A. Mc C, 1870-1900."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 6:32pm On Aug 11, 2012
Another unknown origin (I'm thinking Onicha-Nnewi axis for some reason), could be as old as 1870!

"I[g]bo Chief holding a palaver.
P A Mc C, 1870-1900."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 10:09pm On Aug 11, 2012

"NGWO AMANKWO ETITI. Compound of Aninwande Oniya. S.W. corner of living room [“ife”] with stairs to the attic of House 2.
— Zbigniew Dmochowski, 1960s"
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 4:37am On Aug 12, 2012
Igbo pillar, maybe to support houses although there's no information. (one pillar with reversed faces).

Grand Pilier IBO
Face et Revers
Hauter : 1,89 m
emer - Photographe M. GUÉRIN
MAUDE & RENÉ GARCIA GALLERIE 66
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:14pm On Aug 13, 2012

The so-called ‘horse funeral’ (memorial or second funeral) done by Oteleri, Amachara Village. Performed by the eldest son, Oteleri, many years after his father’s death, when he became ill, and a diviner indicated his father’s spirit was angry at the neglect. Often is performed after a few years. Women dancing, Amachara Village square.

[Ottenberg field research notes, O Series, December 1951-March 1953].
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 5:23pm On Aug 13, 2012

"Okareghe iko players playing large ikoro drums (technically gongs), Ndibe Village, near Ezi Nnale compound.

[Ottenberg field research notes, September 1959-December 1960, Part I]."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 6:47pm On Aug 13, 2012

"An Igbo compound, early 20th century"
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 6:58pm On Aug 13, 2012
[img]http://3.bp..com/-ha32sMmMJfs/TfFFf3nQo-I/AAAAAAAAAZM/FBLviorZbzo/s1200/eepa_2000_070848.jpg[/img]

"This photograph was taken by Dr. Simon Ottenberg while conducting field research at Afikpo village-group, southeastern Nigeria, from September 1959 to December 1960.
Original title reads, "Carved poles at Kpogrikpo, inside the ancestral shrine of Sergeant Okpani's compound. Never obtained much information on it, regretfully. Such a pole was very unusual at Afikpo."

Location: Kpogrikpo, Afikpo, Alaigbo | Date: September 1959-December 1960 | Credit: Simon Ottenberg"
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by odumchi: 7:06pm On Aug 13, 2012
Ezeagu, you don't know how much we appreciate this. Kudos.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 7:25pm On Aug 13, 2012
O! Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 7:29pm On Aug 13, 2012

"G.T Basden "A medicine man with his stock in trade"
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 7:39pm On Aug 13, 2012

"Religion plays an important role at Afikpo in almost every sphere of life. Everywhere there are shrines to humanlike and nonhuman supernatural forces. Often they are placed at the base of a tree, in a group of natural rocks or specifically constructed rock platforms, or in a shrine house, or are found at farms, along paths, in the commons of villages, in the compounds, sometimes even inside dwelling places. The shrines symbolize the diversity of beliefs, rituals, and history in the village group. Njoku, the yam shrine, which virtually every adult male owns and which is for the fertility of the yam crop and for welfare, is located in the compound, usually near its entrance, and is in the form of a pot. Those of a major patrilineage are often grouped in one shrine, the pots nearest each other representing men of a single agnatic line. A man establishes his when a diviner advises him that the Njoku spirit is calling him, as a result of poor crops or illness.

[Ottenberg S., 1968: Double Descent in an African Society; the Afikpo Village-Group. University of Washington Press]."
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ChinenyeN(m): 7:41pm On Aug 13, 2012
odumchi: Ezeagu, you don't know how much we appreciate this. Kudos.
Very true. I know that I myself, for instance, do not hesitate to enter this thread, each time I see that Ezeagu has updated it with new posts.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 7:47pm On Aug 13, 2012
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 7:52pm On Aug 13, 2012
You can see Uli designs on everything. The "isioja" symbol seems to be the most common as I think can be seen on the door.

[img]http://www.nmafa.si.edu/exhibits/art/groupsym.gif[/img]

http://www.nmafa.si.edu/exhibits/group.htm
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 8:02pm On Aug 13, 2012
ChinenyeN:
Very true. I know that I myself, for instance, do not hesitate to enter this thread, each time I see that Ezeagu has updated it with new posts.

Umuahia area, Abia State.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XBuA6C_CGo

The house in some shots of this video (including the thumbnail) seems to be traditional.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 8:33pm On Aug 13, 2012
0:38 Anambra/Enugu area. (Believe it or not, but this is a Gospel song).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VN8HuQOWL4
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 8:44pm On Aug 13, 2012

"Igbo Compound (2007)
Two artist commission

We were commissioned to research and create designs from Igbo lexicons and Uli motifs. In painting the walls of the gallery space in the traditional Igbo way, our main aim was to experience a remarkable, yet now neglected, women’s art form and to represent it in its traditional context.

As Uli is a spontaneous art form with no strict governing rules, we were able to work with a sense of our own autonomy and feel that our collaboration has resulted in a vibrant homage to this inspirational art form – A legacy to Uli."

http://www.donnaberry.com/commissions/commissions_001f.html
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 10:24pm On Aug 13, 2012
odumchi, here is one (near Umuahia in Abia), ChineyeN, this is very close to Ngwa.

"Ekpe (leopard society) meeting house

View of Ekpe meeting house in Umuajatta village, Olokoro near Umuahia. The house has a tall thatched roof and a wall painted by an Annang artist in the style of the Ngwomo ghost houses.
G.I. Jones, 1932 - 1938"
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 11:33pm On Aug 13, 2012

"Ekpe Club-house, Bende I[g]bo

Percy Amaury Talbot"
Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 11:43pm On Aug 13, 2012

"Wall painting in Okwu village

Wall painting in Okwu village painted by an Annang artist in the style of Ngwomo ghost houses. The wall painting depicts two Ekpe figures in their masquerade costumes bending at the waist and with two curved designs on the top of their heads and a tail. Underneath the paintings is a border of geometric designs.
G.I. Jones, 1932 - 1938"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò by ezeagu(m): 12:03am On Aug 14, 2012
Delta State, Okpanam near Asaba (Aniocha).

"OSEBLUWE [SHRINE]; ONOKU (OKPANAM).
Anthropological report on the Ibo-speaking peoples of Nigeria, Northcote Thomas (1913)"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! / Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.