Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

Camry 99 Thermostat Removal - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Camry 99 Thermostat Removal (12870 Views)

Thermostat / My Experience With Thermostat Removal / Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by erico2k2(m): 7:54pm On Jul 12, 2014
odume10:

Thanks
I have also permanent the two fans to blow the moment i start the engine, how about changing to double cell radiator?
my engine does not over heat but am advised it may over heat on long travels.
hahahahahahah, THESE guys will never learn,ask yourselves this question, is Nigeria as HOT as Arizona?,Texas? cso thats where I bought my car and it came with a thermostat lol
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by erico2k2(m): 7:58pm On Jul 12, 2014
sniperwolf:

I removed mine too. After my mechanic advised. He said our weather is hotter than U.S so we don't need it.
Removing it will cause the car not to overheat as a result of the thermostat going off itself
Come out and talk nahh, we dey wait, ask your mechanic too what part of the USA he had been to and in your spare time Google the average temp for Arizona and compare it to Maiduguri
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by ogocology: 9:10am On Oct 04, 2014
Hello guys,
I bought my car used in an exchange deal. The engine is quite sound. I don't really have fuel complaints. It takes about one tank to travel from abuja to awka. But I believe the thermostat has been removed and the fan also runs on the ACC stroke of the key.
Having acquainted myself with all the concepts discussed on this thread, I'm quite humbled. And grateful too.
I would want to replace the thermostat. Who knows the rating and cost of the unit for a 2000 Toyota camry?
Also how can I return the fan to factory connection?
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Cunnilingus(m): 10:37pm On Feb 14, 2018
Interesting Read. Guys pls my brother left this country and left his ride for me. So far I know the mechanic removed the coolant and the fans are always on. Pls I want to reset all these back to its factory settings. I need guidance on the thing to buy or how to go about it. PS I know nothing abt cars and am in southeast all mechanics here are quacks. Cc: Ikenna351 Emperoh 9icetoo
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by erico2k2(m): 6:51pm On Feb 18, 2018
Cunnilingus:
Interesting Read. Guys pls my brother left this country and left his ride for me. So far I know the mechanic removed the coolant and the fans are always on. Pls I want to reset all these back to its factory settings. I need guidance on the thing to buy or how to go about it. PS I know nothing abt cars and am in southeast all mechanics here are quacks. Cc: Ikenna351 Emperoh 9icetoo
Two things you need to replace
1 buy a new thermostat
2 buy a new Engine temp sensore(this tells the ECU when to switch the fan on)
The connect the wire back to factory default
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by thebigkendo(m): 7:44pm On Feb 18, 2018
Cunnilingus:

What ride are you talking about?
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by thebigkendo(m): 7:48pm On Feb 18, 2018
erico2k2:

1 buy a new thermostat
2[b] buy a new Engine temp sensore(this tells the ECU when to switch the fan on)[/b]

So cars us fan switch.. Which switches cooling fan on & off at set temperature.. No Signal from ECU
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Cunnilingus(m): 8:12pm On Feb 18, 2018
thebigkendo:

What ride are you talking about?
2000 Camry
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Cunnilingus(m): 8:15pm On Feb 18, 2018
erico2k2:

1 buy a new thermostat
2 buy a new Engine temp sensore(this tells the ECU when to switch the fan on)
the car is a 2000 Toyota Camry. How abt coolant application
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by erico2k2(m): 8:40pm On Feb 18, 2018
thebigkendo:

So cars us fan switch.. Which switches cooling fan on & off at set temperature.. No Signal from ECU
so what tells the switches when to be on or off?
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by erico2k2(m): 8:41pm On Feb 18, 2018
Cunnilingus:
the car is a 2000 Toyota Camry. How abt coolant application
You need to fic them parts 1st b4 buying coolant!
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by autologic: 9:02pm On Feb 18, 2018
erico2k2:

Thermoswitch under the radiator
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by erico2k2(m): 9:19pm On Feb 18, 2018
autologic:

Thermoswitch under the radiator
Thermostat do not have any switch, why do you guys assume? the Thermostat has no wiring attached to it so how does it cause a circut to open or close?
Bross U fall my hand here
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by thebigkendo(m): 10:05pm On Feb 18, 2018
erico2k2:

It's a temperature switch.. The terminals on the switch are continuous when Temperature is above setpoint & open when temperature is Below set point.. You can Google "temperature switch"

Some manufacturers call it ECT switch.. Engine coolant temperature(ECT). While the other which I think you are talking about is ECT2 sensor..
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by thebigkendo(m): 10:07pm On Feb 18, 2018
erico2k2:

Thermostat do not have any switch, why do you guys assume? the Thermostat has no wiring attached to it so how does it cause a circut to open or close?

He said Thermoswitch not thermostat..
Na u come dey fall hand oh grin grin grin
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by erico2k2(m): 10:29pm On Feb 18, 2018
thebigkendo:

It's a temperature switch.. The terminals on the switch are continuous when Temperature is above setpoint & open when temperature is Below set point.. You can Google "temperature switch"
I get that bit, questions for you
Is this switch wired directly to the fan?
Is it wired directly to the ECU?
Does it set off a code is faulty?
Last question what is the relationship btw waht we talking about now and P0128 fault code in this diagnostic?
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by thebigkendo(m): 10:33pm On Feb 18, 2018
erico2k2:

I get that bit, questions for you
Is this switch wired directly to the fan?
Is it wired directly to the ECU?
Does it set off a code is faulty?

No its not wired to ECU, wired to the fan directly.. sometimes via a relay. Most times Kazeems just push the pins together in order to keep the fan running continuously
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by erico2k2(m): 10:34pm On Feb 18, 2018
thebigkendo:

No its not wired to ECU, wired to the fan directly.. Most times Kazeems just push the pins together in order to keep the fan running continuously
so how does the code P0128 get triggered??(Camry Specific)
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by thebigkendo(m): 10:40pm On Feb 18, 2018
erico2k2:

P0128 is set Via the ECT sensor on the engine block which is connected to the instrument cluster and ECU..
Most cars have ECT1 sensor & ECT2 sensor or ECT switch..
ECT2 or ECT switch is usually on the radiator while ECT1 is on the engine block

NB we talking old camry.. Am sure modern camrys will use ECT2 sensor instead of ECT switch

UPDATE: camry has 2 ECT switches and 1 ECT sensor
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by thebigkendo(m): 11:00pm On Feb 18, 2018
Cunnilingus:
2000 Camry

To return you fan controls to fan spec.. You have to 1st test the engine coolant switch.. Most times mechanic just push the terminal of the switch together so the cooling fan will run continuously. If the switch are okay.. Check for strange wiring around the cooling fan relays, also check for any wire flying from the relay box to the cooling fan connector
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by erico2k2(m): 11:01pm On Feb 18, 2018
thebigkendo:

P0128 is set Via the ECT sensor on the engine block which is connected to the instrument cluster and ECU..

for the benefit of others reading this let us stick to Toyota camry plz,cos (BMW cooling fan would not work if wired directly this is the E46.)
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by erico2k2(m): 11:02pm On Feb 18, 2018
thebigkendo:

NB we talking old camry.. Am sure modern camrys will use ECT2 sensor instead of ECT switch

if its using an electric fan, it would use same principle, the newer cars just have thier own circut a PCM
NB, U do realize the fans have a LOW and a Hi
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by thebigkendo(m): 11:14pm On Feb 18, 2018
erico2k2:

if its using an electric fan, it would use same principle, the newer cars just have thier own circut a PCM
NB, U do realize the fans have a LOW and a Hi

I know Peugeot fans do.. But I don't think 2000-2007 Hondas & Toyotas do..cooling fans basically come on full Blast & goes off..no low or high
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by erico2k2(m): 11:24pm On Feb 18, 2018
thebigkendo:

I know Peugeot fans do.. But I don't think 2000-2007 Hondas & Toyotas do..cooling fans basically come on full Blast & goes off..no low or high
NAh they do, still a Hi and Low, this was why I was saying its controled by the ECU vie that sensor, I had huge trouble with my BMW fan, I fixed it myself but it was a tricky one.I bought a complete fan stil nada.wired direct nada, this was how i found out the ECU reads from that coolant sensor and sends a hi or low signal to the fan circut.,same signals is sent to this fan when AC is on cos I have just one fan for radiator and condenser.
In my case, the coolant do not get hot enough cos by then Im overheating lol due to leak from radiator.

1 Like

Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by thebigkendo(m): 11:37pm On Feb 18, 2018
erico2k2:

NAh they do, still a Hi and Low, this was why I was saying its controled by the ECU vie that sensor, I had huge trouble with my BMW fan, I fixed it myself but it was a tricky one.I bought a complete fan stil nada.wired direct nada, this was how i found out the ECU reads from that coolant sensor and sends a hi or low signal to the fan circut.,same signals is sent to this fan when AC is on cos[b] I have just one fan for radiator and condenser.[/b]
In my case, the coolant do not get hot enough cos by then Im overheating lol due to leak from radiator.

German and Japanese cars don't necessarily operate on the exact same principle..
Camry has 1 coolant temperature sensor and 2 coolant temperature switch... Temperature Switch controls the cooling fan via relays..

Honda accord 2003-2005 has 1 ECT sensor on the engine block and 1 ECT switch on the radiator base
. ETC switch controls the cooling fan via Relays.
Honda accord 2006-2007 has 2 ECT sensors(ECT1 & ECT2).. ECT1 is on the engine block while ECT2 on the radiator base.. The cooling fan is controlled by ECU via relays base on signal from ECT2 which is on the radiator base..

No low & Hi fan speed.. Fan comes on & goes off base on temperature

Toyotas and Hondas have 2 separate fans for radiator & condenser..
When A/C compressor is on both fans come on, but without A/C only the radiator cooling fan shuffles on and off base base on temperature of the coolant in the radiator
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by erico2k2(m): 11:58pm On Feb 18, 2018
thebigkendo:

German and Japanese cars don't necessarily operate on the exact same principle..
Camry has 1 coolant temperature sensor and 2 coolant temperature switch... Temperature Switch controls the cooling fan via relays..

Honda accord 2003-2005 has 1 ECT sensor on the engine block and 1 ECT switch on the radiator base
. ETC switch controls the cooling fan via Relays.
Honda accord 2006-2007 has 2 ECT sensors(ECT1 & ECT2).. ECT1 is on the engine block while ECT2 on the radiator base.. The cooling fan is controlled by ECU via relays base on signal from ECT2 which is on the radiator base..

No low & Hi fan speed.. Fan comes on & goes off base on temperature

Toyotas and Hondas have 2 separate fans for radiator & condenser..
When A/C compressor is on both fans come on, but without A/C only the radiator cooling fan shuffles on and off base base on temperature of the coolant in the radiator

Well might very well be, I have never owned a Japanis car,Im doing works on the BMW cooling system 2morrow as Im off work, I need change my trans heat xchanger Thermostat.weather been too cold to be out working, Im hoping its slightly warmer 2morrow, Im also going to change the whole under hose.I will post details on the BMW thread>
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by thebigkendo(m): 12:14am On Feb 19, 2018
erico2k2:

Well might very well be, I have never owned a Japanis car, Im doing works on the BMW cooling system 2morrow as Im off work, I need change my trans heat xchanger Thermostat. weather been too cold to be out working, Im hoping its slightly warmer 2morrow, Im also going to change the whole under hose.I will post details on the BMW thread>

Nice!! will be following, please post pictures.
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by erico2k2(m): 12:30am On Feb 19, 2018
thebigkendo:

Nice!! will be following, please post pictures.
Sure thing, I will tag you
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by autologic: 12:56am On Feb 19, 2018
erico2k2:

Thermoswitch(thermistor switch ) not thermostat
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by erico2k2(m): 1:24am On Feb 19, 2018
autologic:

Thermoswitch(thermistor switch ) not thermostat
on 2000 toyota camry??
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by autologic: 8:24am On Feb 19, 2018
erico2k2:

on 2000 toyota camry??
Not only 5s fe variant of Camry also some 1Mz Fe variant as well (Avalon, sienna etc)
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by autologic: 8:50am On Feb 19, 2018
erico2k2:

The ecu has a pre programmed set time taken for the car to achieve optimum temperature and the ecu will trigger P0128 if the set time is taken too long than the required threshold.
eg if the nominal time required to achieve optimum temperature is 10 minute but the time taken is more than 10 minute ,P0128 will be triggered.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

All-electric Cars Can Now Swap Dead Batteries With A Fully Charged One / Koenigsegg Posts $2m Regera Crash Test Video To Celebrate 1m Instagram Followers / Using "Paint Thinner" As Injector Cleaner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.