Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,794 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

Camry 99 Thermostat Removal - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Camry 99 Thermostat Removal (12861 Views)

Thermostat / My Experience With Thermostat Removal / Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Topleague(m): 10:27am On Feb 19, 2018
my mechanic connect my toyota camry 1999 fan direct and i have been using it for the past 2 years. How do i correct it pls, whom do i meet, mechanic or electrician?
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by erico2k2(m): 10:53am On Feb 19, 2018
Topleague:
my mechanic connect my toyota camry 1999 fan direct and i have been using it for the past 2 years. How do i correct it pls, whom do i meet, mechanic or electrician?
Electrician, but chk if your thermostat is intact 1st.or use the opportunity to buy a new one cos 1999 to 2018 is such a long time, you should try and change few things to new o nes, to avoid it putting you dowm ie water pump etc.
Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by autologic: 11:05am On Feb 19, 2018
Topleague:
Meet a professional technician cos you need someone equipped enough to perform cooling system pressure integrity test for your cooling system before thermostat and wiring can be rewired to default so as to avoid triggering up a hidden overheating issue.
Caution :Don't let anybody touch your cooling system if the person is not equipped with cooling system pressure tester .

1 Like

Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by temmym4(m): 11:57am On Feb 19, 2018
This particular topic has really given me a lot of confusion in the past that i decided to ignore, then i had this experience after getting a car recently.

I took the car to my mechanic for the very first time to change the oil and filter. Then drove home, after some days i noticed every morning especially when there is cold, the vehicle seems to be a bit laggy while picking up, for instance when going over Bumps then accelerating. Not noticeable at normal driving, just when slowing down to almost Zero and picking up. This goes on till the engine works for around 10mins and heats up a bit before it gets normal, then i noticed my CHECK ENGINE light is always on.

This went on until one morning i couldnt cope with it anymore, then i opened the hood and found out one of my clips/Sensor (i dont actually know what it is called) above the engine was removed from the socket, i decided to clip it back, then i found out CHECK ENGINE light was off but my fan stopped rolling. I was worried at first, then i remember this words "THERMOSTAT" "KAZEEM" "DIRECT FAN CONNECTION".

I decided to start monitoring the Temperature guage and after some minutes of driving, it got to half. I drove for alalmost an hour, then as i got to an untarred road trying to park, i heared the fan starting to work, then after some minutes it stopped again.
Ever since i plugged that stuff back in. There has been no lag in the morning and CHECK ENGINE doesn't come on anymore and fuel consumption was much better.

My conclusion.

There is a specific temperature that the engine needs to get to in order to work perfectly.
The Thermostat prevents the engine from getting too cool or too hot.

Immediately your engine starts to get hot especially in a traffic or during AC operation, your fan comes on and also stops when the engine normalises.

I have a question for you...

Since Thermostat are meant to enable the Radiator fan to work when the engine is operating at a temperature above normal and our country weather is hot.
Why doesn't the Thermostat allow the Fan to keep working everytime due to the level of hotness in our region?

Why does it only start working once a while when your engine temperature is getting above the specific level of the manufacturer's specification?

Ask yourself this question, then you will understand why Thermostat shouldn't be removed.

No wonder when car gets here, they always end up with burnt radiator fan after some months or a year or 2 of usage

I had a debate with my Mechanic once when i argued with him that the car has been performing excellently in the morning when i plug what he removed..

He said, how do you quickly detect when it eventually gets faulty before it destroys your gasket or start splashing water from the bonnet when the fan refuses to work...

Then i told him, wont the same thing happen if i remove that Thermostat and the fan eventually gets burnt and stops working due to several hours of workload without rest..

The answer is simple, checking the dashboard often and paying attention to the car language.

Cars do talk, only if you understand its language!

am sure Only KAZEEMs removes Thermostats, No Mechanical Engineer will do so.

2 Likes

Re: Camry 99 Thermostat Removal by Onosy: 2:56pm On Feb 19, 2018
I also connected the thermostat wire of my camry and it works better with the temperature guage a bit below the centre mark. many mechanics act like they know about the car better than the manufacturer.

Middle east (e.g. Qatar) is hotter than nigeria and they use thermostat there. so people claiming Nigeria is hot hence remove your thermostat don't really understand the weather.

Also my mechanic didn't tell me my 2001 camry needs axle oil, I was lucky that the alignment guy at the filling station noticed something when he drove my car after alignment and told me he want to check, because I told him I have not topped it and behold it was almost empty.

Lesson: do not rely solely on mechanics for informations and advise on your car. do personnal research. Overheating could be caused by many factors and not only thermostat. many vehicles are destroyed for lack of knowledge. be wise

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What's The Most Embarrassing Thing That Has Ever Happened To You While Driving / How To Avoid Tire Blow-out By Pumping Right Pressure Into Your Tire /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.