Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,148 members, 7,815,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

Natural Hair - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Natural Hair (16134 Views)

My Natural Hair Wants To Kill Me Before My Time / Student Faces Expulsion Over Natural Hair / Grow Your Natural Hair Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Natural Hair by Meddler(f): 11:07am On Aug 02, 2012
Wud like to connect with natural hair sistas in Abuja or any where in naija. We are a rare breed to all the brazilian hair, indian hair, peruvian hair chicks. If you are proud of ur heritage and embrace ur "naturalness" then come in and let's hang for a while. Tell us what works for ur hair and ur hair routines (if you have any). Looking forward to ur responses.

5 Likes

Re: Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:42am On Aug 03, 2012
When you say natural, do you mean natural, unprocessed hair or just your own hair? I wear my own hair but I relax it once a year. I'm so tempted to go entirely natural but I haven't found a routine that works for me while I transition, so I'm relaxed again. I hope I can be a natural one day as natural hair is more versatile.

As for routine, I keep it very simple. I use shampoo and conditioner usually every other week and condition my hair at least once a week. On the weeks I use shampoo, I use a protein/reconstructing conditioner. On the conditioner-only weeks, I use a moisturizing conditioner. After every wash, I use a leave-in conditioner or a serum, depending on how I'm styling my hair. Leave-in conditioners when I'm just putting my hair up and letting it air dry, and a serum if I plan on blowdrying and/or styling it with an iron. I rarely use an iron these days. I think the last time I did was in June as I'm trying to have my hair as thick as possible.

As for how I wear my hair? It's usually in a bun. I'm very lazy lol.

What do you do?

1 Like

Re: Natural Hair by Meddler(f): 10:21am On Aug 03, 2012
I mean unprocessed hair.
If I want to go fully natural. I won't lie to you it is usually a difficult struggle in the first few months because ure learning how to take care of ur new texture and you can't treat ur natural hair like relaxed hair.
It seems like you got a good routine down.
I'm not as dedicated these days which has cost me. I have to sit up otherwise I'll wake up bald one of these days grin
Re: Natural Hair by Meddler(f): 10:23am On Aug 03, 2012
Oops I meant "if you want to go fully natural" grin
Re: Natural Hair by spikesC(m): 11:00am On Aug 03, 2012
ogugua88: When you say natural, do you mean natural, unprocessed hair or just your own hair? I wear my own hair but I relax it once a year. I'm so tempted to go entirely natural but I haven't found a routine that works for me while I transition, so I'm relaxed again. I hope I can be a natural one day as natural hair is more versatile.

As for routine, I keep it very simple. I use shampoo and conditioner usually every other week and condition my hair at least once a week. On the weeks I use shampoo, I use a protein/reconstructing conditioner. On the conditioner-only weeks, I use a moisturizing conditioner. After every wash, I use a leave-in conditioner or a serum, depending on how I'm styling my hair. Leave-in conditioners when I'm just putting my hair up and letting it air dry, and a serum if I plan on blowdrying and/or styling it with an iron. I rarely use an iron these days. I think the last time I did was in June as I'm trying to have my hair as thick as possible.

What do you do?

All these things, just go barb am lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Natural Hair by Nobody: 11:57am On Aug 03, 2012
Meddler: I mean unprocessed hair.
If I want to go fully natural. I won't lie to you it is usually a difficult struggle in the first few months because ure learning how to take care of ur new texture and you can't treat ur natural hair like relaxed hair.
I'm not as dedicated these days which has cost me. I have to sit up otherwise I'll wake up bald one of these days grin

When I went natural, the first few months were actually quite easy for me. Natural hair is easier to maintain when it's shorter. It only becomes a little difficult when your hair starts getting longer. The major issues I had back then were with knots and finding the right products for my hair. But thankfully, not anymore. I especially love deep conditioning now. I used to hate deep conditioning because I felt it wasn't doing anything for my hair and I just thought it wasn't needed. There were times when I didn't even do it at all, lol. Now that I've found a good deep conditioner - a protein deep conditioner, I now know the importance of it because it really strengthens my hair. Some people's hair responds better to moisturizing dc-ing, some to protein, so what you stick with depends on how your hair feels afterwards. Yea, natural hair's a bit of work at first, but it does get easier once you find what works for you. I'm still learning too though. There's always something to learn. =p

1 Like

Re: Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:06pm On Aug 03, 2012
Meddler: I mean unprocessed hair.

Oh, oops lol. I've never been unprocessed. My mom relaxed my hair very young. I'm very curious as to what my hair would look like natural, but, like you said, transitioning is a struggle. The longest I've lasted was just under 10 months lol.

I get lazy with my hair too. I no go lie lol. Hard work.
Re: Natural Hair by Meddler(f): 12:28am On Aug 04, 2012
Yield:

When I went natural, the first few months were actually quite easy for me. Natural hair is easier to maintain when it's shorter. It only becomes a little difficult when your hair starts getting longer. The major issues I had back then were with knots and finding the right products for my hair. But thankfully, not anymore. I especially love deep conditioning now. I used to hate deep conditioning because I felt it wasn't doing anything for my hair and I just thought it wasn't needed. There were times when I didn't even do it at all, lol. Now that I've found a good deep conditioner - a protein deep conditioner, I now know the importance of it because it really strengthens my hair. Some people's hair responds better to moisturizing dc-ing, some to protein, so what you stick with depends on how your hair feels afterwards. Yea, natural hair's a bit of work at first, but it does get easier once you find what works for you. I'm still learning too though. There's always something to learn. =p
The short hair phase was easy. But I got to that awkward stage where my hair was in between length. It wasn't long enuf to style appropiately and quite short to do anything meaningful (did I mention I am style challenged). Anyway I still had a hard time finding gud products for my hair. But I eventually settled on a routine. I used to be a DC person but now I find it too time consuming. I just wash and condition. I found out that my hair actually strives when I leave it alone. So I adhere to minimal manipulation. Just twist at night and in the morning I unravel it. I need to stay away from heat. It really does a number on my hair.
Re: Natural Hair by SisiKill1: 7:33pm On Aug 04, 2012
Although I have my natural hair (took me about 6rs to get it there). . .I don't think it is right to sound oh so mighty and superior about it. No need to down those who have chosen to go the Brazilian and Peruvian and Trinidadian and Tobagoian (wonder why that is on my mind lately) way.

To each his. . .or rather her own. Appreciate yourself for what you have chosen to do and not what others are doing.

Just saying.

1 Like

Re: Natural Hair by Egbagirl(f): 7:42pm On Aug 04, 2012
Yield:

Same for me! I was totally fine while it was still about 2-3 inches but when it started growing, I decided to get a fade to avoid having to deal with it but it grew back and now I have about 5inches and I really dont know what to do with it. I usually just twist mine up from time to time or wear it out in a fro depending on the weather. Im trying to do didi olowo soon and towards the end of the year, Im getting locs!!!

Having natural hair is fun! but it's also quite crazy. There are many videos on youtube that can help and there are blogs and websites etc. Depending on what you want, you can just google it and see what comes up. What Ive learned since I went natural is that you need to find what works for you cause everyone's hair is different but you can never go wrong with natural products like natural oils (olive oil, coconut oil etc), aloe vera, avocado, honey, bananas, eggs, shea butter (ori) etc.

If you live in naija, then my best advice is to not live it out for too long. Do something to protect your ends like braids or didi or something and once in a while, wear it out. If you dont mess around with it too much, it grows faster. Btw, DC your hair from time to time, It's amazing. Watch your diet too. Drink lots of water and fruits & veggies

3 Likes

Re: Natural Hair by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 04, 2012
Meddler: Wud like to connect with natural hair sistas in Abuja or any where in naija. We are a rare breed to all the brazilian hair, indian hair, peruvian hair chicks. If you are proud of ur heritage and embrace ur "naturalness" then come in and let's hang for a while. Tell us what works for ur hair and ur hair routines (if you have any). Looking forward to ur responses.
Me luv ladies in their Natural hair.
Re: Natural Hair by 27naira(m): 9:05pm On Aug 04, 2012
OP, why you no put pishor na? angry
Re: Natural Hair by hannydarl(f): 9:18pm On Aug 04, 2012
My hair is natural tOo. I use castor oil and shea butter to keep it soft. For conditioning I use organics shea butter conditioning cream. My hair is not long its tough keeping it.
Re: Natural Hair by Jasiel(f): 9:44pm On Aug 04, 2012
Hi! I'm sporting nappy Hair and I'm proud of it but it doesn't make me feel better than those who regularly go with extensions. Overall my emphasis is on comfort, and manageability. Love u chicas
Re: Natural Hair by Nobody: 9:52pm On Aug 04, 2012
One thing I don't like about Ntural hair pipu is their high superiority complex over other non-natural women.

It's not an impossible fit, it's just another option. So stop feeling like you're doing the Black race a favor grin

PS: My hair is natural, so don't think I'm an opposition.

3 Likes

Re: Natural Hair by Tolaaaaannni(f): 10:15pm On Aug 04, 2012
I swear to God,I hate that term Natural sisters/ Natural people , and how they have their community and association and crap. Even here in abroad they are annoying as hell. What is so special about natural hair that they need to connect with each other and talk about it. AT THE END OF THE DAY RELAXED HAIR AND NATURAL HAIR ARE JUST HAIR! nothing special about it. Plain and simple. Hair is Hair. It shouldn't be worshipped or idolized.

2 Likes

Re: Natural Hair by phyl123: 10:28pm On Aug 04, 2012
Tolaaaaannni: I swear to God,I hate that term Natural sisters, and how they have their community and association and crap. Even here in abroad they are annoying as crap. What is so special about their hair that they need to connect with each other for. AT THE END OF THE DAY RELAXED HAIR AND NATURAL HAIR ARE JUST HAIR! nothing special about it. Plain and simple. Hair is Hair.

Hair is not hair, there is nothing better than your own hair, be it relaxed, coloured etc the problem with most african women is that they do not have confidence in their own hair. I have seen some nigerian women with lovely hair, but feel better wearing a wig or weave even if it looks worst on them than their natural hair.

1 Like

Re: Natural Hair by blackbalang(f): 10:35pm On Aug 04, 2012
Mine is extremely frustrating..its just 7 months and am tempted to relax it or cut it. Its as thick as a jungle.... lol... But I love it aniwayz
Re: Natural Hair by Tolaaaaannni(f): 10:40pm On Aug 04, 2012
phyl123:

Hair is not hair, there is nothing better than your own hair, be it relaxed, coloured etc the problem with most african women is that they do not have confidence in their own hair. I have seen some nigerian women with lovely hair, but feel better wearing a wig or weave even if it looks worst on them than their natural hair.
Sorry to break it to you but HAIR IS JUST HAIR. Can you answer to me what is so special about natural hair that's driving people so crazy? Sure im all for the keep your hair the way you were made and all those other stuff, But when people start seeing their hair to be better than others, It start to get irritating. Why don't the indians and the Arabs go crazy about their natural hair?? simply because they know its not that important and also that it is afterall JUST HAIR!

1 Like

Re: Natural Hair by chucky234(m): 10:41pm On Aug 04, 2012
ogugua88: When you say natural, do you mean natural, unprocessed hair or just your own hair? I wear my own hair but I relax it once a year. I'm so tempted to go entirely natural but I haven't found a routine that works for me while I transition, so I'm relaxed again. I hope I can be a natural one day as natural hair is more versatile.

What do you do?
All that routine for just hair,hmmm great maintenance culture you got going there.
Re: Natural Hair by yogun(f): 11:00pm On Aug 04, 2012
i have been natural since dec, did d BC last wk, i live in lagos and have been using more shea butter. wld appreciate more good hair products advice.
Re: Natural Hair by zannie(f): 11:08pm On Aug 04, 2012
I stopped relaxing my hair in february cos it was breaking so bad and it was terribly damaged. I chopped off the relaxed ends about a 6wks ago and I have about 3in of kinky hair now.
In all honesty, I get annoyed when some people feel so superior about having natural hair, and act like someone died and made them the queen of all things natural. Smh. Hair is a personal decision for everyone, u choose to have it natural, relaxed, texlaxed, loc'd bla bla bla. Its urs and nobody can dictate what u do with ur hair.
Anyways, in this past few months, I've learnt so much about my hair, and its all so exciting as I've never had to take care of the hair myself. I've stopped going to salons, cos they just don't know how to handle nappy hair with the care it needs. All I've learnt about my hair, I learnt form amazing hair websites like curlynikki.com, bglhonline.com, naturallycurly.com and some other lovely blogs.
My routine is pretty simple. I wear fat braids as protective styling most times so as to prevent hands in hair syndrome. When I do have my hair out, I wash every other week. I pre-shampoo with a mixture of coconut, olive, castor, peppermint and tea tree oils for about 30mins. Then I conditioner wash with a cheapie like V05 moisture milks. My hair really adores protein so I use aphogee keratin reconstructor and wash off after about 15 mins. After this I deep condition with Giovanni smooth as silk deeper conditioner and coconut oil and follow up with an ACV rinse. Then I'm done. I also moisturize with my homemade mix of cantu shea butter leave in and oils. I always seal in the moisture with shea butter when I'm done. I jst recently started using henna and I think its something I'll continue using.
Please we shud learn to respect people's choices. Nobody has better hair just because she relaxes or she dosnt. All hair is good hair, the most important thing is how u feel about urself. Peace!

2 Likes

Re: Natural Hair by Egbagirl(f): 11:10pm On Aug 04, 2012
Woah... Calm down guys. We are not feeling like we better than those with relaxed hair or anything. People have different reasons for going natural. Not everyone is about black power or any of that jazz. Some of us do is cause its cheaper than doing braids etc here in the us.
You guys should take it easy na. Na fight? Everyone can do whatever they want with their hair and we should all respect that cause after na each person get his/her hair. Lol

1 Like

Re: Natural Hair by Nobody: 11:13pm On Aug 04, 2012
God Bless You All Natural Hair Black Women.
Re: Natural Hair by muchbeauty(f): 11:17pm On Aug 04, 2012
i did my big chop in april this year. been loving it though. but to be honest i still fix weaves. like my natural hair. you could not tell a difference
Re: Natural Hair by TerryCarr(m): 11:18pm On Aug 04, 2012
Re: Natural Hair by muchbeauty(f): 11:25pm On Aug 04, 2012
speaking for my self, i would say the whole essence of carrying a natural hair is obviously to give you this natural look. so if am tired or having a bad hair day, i just use natural looking afro kinky curly wigs or weaves. i still go for other looks tho, when i feel like.
Re: Natural Hair by Tolaaaaannni(f): 11:25pm On Aug 04, 2012
Egba girl: Woah... Calm down guys. We are not feeling like we better than those with relaxed hair or anything. People have different reasons for going natural. Not everyone is about black power or any of that jazz. Some of us do is cause its cheaper than doing braids etc here in the us.
You guys should take it easy na. Na fight? Everyone can do whatever they want with their hair and we should all respect that cause after na each person get his/her hair. Lol

Lol its not a fight, but trust me their are some "natural" (I hate that term by the way, i don't think you need to differentiate about people who have natural hair or relaxed hair. It creates just another barrier in the black system.) girls out there that are annoying as hell.
Re: Natural Hair by postemail: 11:34pm On Aug 04, 2012
Guys.... Try the Shea butter therapy for soft, relaxed hair. Avoid harsh shampoo, instead use natural oil conditioners. I use coconut oil conditioner, then I apply Shea butter -coconut oil mix for keeping a soft, relaxed hair.
Coconut oil - 10cl - 100Naira
Shea butter - 200g - 50Naira

Check YouTube for guide to prepare a good mix
Re: Natural Hair by muchbeauty(f): 11:37pm On Aug 04, 2012
i love jamaican black castor oil, it helps hair growth.
Re: Natural Hair by Nobody: 11:47pm On Aug 04, 2012
blackbalang: Mine is extremely frustrating..its just 7 months and am tempted to relax it or cut it. Its as thick as a jungle.... lol... But I love it aniwayz

You won’t find a decent man with that hair on your profile pic. Oyibo hair patched on black skin women make them look like baboon and gorilla
Re: Natural Hair by honeric01(m): 12:07am On Aug 05, 2012
Thumbs up to you women with your natural hair and YES you're better than the wig, weave-on wearing "oyinbo wannabe" outthere.

Bite me! tongue

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pls How Long Will It Take To Learn Sewing. / Davido And Chidimma On The Cover Of Complete Fashion Magazine / Ini Edo And Ik Ogbonna Cover House Of Maliq's November Edition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.