Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,481 members, 7,770,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:43 AM

Do African Americans Have A Culture? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do African Americans Have A Culture? (58222 Views)

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil / Why Do African Women Dislike African American Women? / Do African's Love Asian People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Go Down)

Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nebeuwa(m): 3:40pm On Aug 02, 2012
I was recently arguing with a Nigerian friend of mine, concerning this topic. She believes that African Americans do not have a culture and that it is only a subset of the wider American culture.

At first, I was offended when she made that statement, because I saw that as an attack on half of my identity through my maternal side. I stated by looking at our music, our cuisine and our form of speech, that is an expression of culture.

So do you all think African Americans have a culture or not?
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by MrsChima(f): 4:59pm On Aug 02, 2012
Nebeuwa: I was recently arguing with a Nigerian friend of mine, concerning this topic. She believes that African Americans do not have a culture and that it is only a subset of the wider American culture.

At first, I was offended when she made that statement, because I saw that as an attack on half of my identity through my maternal side. I stated by looking at our music, our cuisine and our form of speech, that is an expression of culture.

What is African American

15 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by anonymous6(f): 5:37pm On Aug 02, 2012
Nebeuwa: I was recently arguing with a Nigerian friend of mine, concerning this topic. She believes that African Americans do not have a culture and that it is only a subset of the wider American culture.

many nigerians think they don't but some do but they feel it is a certain type of American culture like white americans have their own unique american culture. It is how the shiates and sunni's are both muslims but different types of muslims.

3 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nebeuwa(m): 6:06pm On Aug 02, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

What is African American

African Americans also referred to as Black American is a term used to describe citizens of the United States who have total or significant partial ancestry from any of the native populations of Sub-Saharan Africa.

15 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nebeuwa(m): 6:08pm On Aug 02, 2012
anonymous6:

many nigerians think they don't but some do but they feel it is a certain type of American culture like white americans have their own unique american culture. It is how the shiates and sunni's are both muslims but different types of muslims.

I hope I am reading this correct, but think you are saying that blacks in the United States have a distinct culture within the American framework?
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by anonymous6(f): 8:22pm On Aug 02, 2012
Nebeuwa:

I hope I am reading this correct, but think you are saying that blacks in the United States have a distinct culture within the American framework?

To a extent but in America most of the culture is racial more then anything else followed by food and music, plus America doesn't have cultures like it is in Asia, Africa and etc. For example White Americans have different music from Black americans/african americans like for example country music and rock and roll tends to be a white american thing and R&B, Hip-hop, Rap, Blues, Gospel music are a african american thing. the samething with soul food is a black american thing. However there are many things black americans and white americans share together more then they are different like nationailty, history on American land, language, clothing attire, westernized view point, even foods(besides soul foods), and etc.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 02, 2012
In my opinion, your friend was partly right about the subset thing. You see, African American culture is supposed to be a blend of cultures from different parts of Africa where the slave trades took place but slave owners back then were trying to strip their slaves of their African cultures and they restricted the slaves from retaining significant elements of their traditions and cultures. One major reason for this was because they were trying to prevent a rebellion like the one that took place before in the Southern part of the U.S. What we now have today is a modified version of what should be African American culture that has American ways of life constituting a large part of it. There are black culture movements though, that try to promote real black culture in America through such things as art, music, clothing etc.

8 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Denise216(f): 1:01pm On Aug 08, 2012

Yes. Then again its my culture being denied.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Ptolomeus(m): 4:17pm On Aug 08, 2012
Dear friend:
It is a broad topic.
In some countries, the African-American culture (if indeed it exists) is the sum of different African cultures, adapted also to a different medium. For example, it is unthinkable cooking with palm oil in countries that lack this product ...
In other countries, historical questions, each ethnic group has kept alive their particular traditions.
But actually, there is an African-American culture (when I say "American" I mean not only the United States, but the three Americas).
African American culture that covers all aspects of social and have been rescued since the days of slavery.
My greetings to all!

5 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 12:20am On Aug 09, 2012
anonymous6:

To a extent but in America most of the culture is racial more then anything else followed by food and music, plus America doesn't have cultures like it is in Asia, Africa and etc. For example White Americans have different music from Black americans/african americans like for example country music and rock and roll tends to be a white american thing and R&B, Hip-hop, Rap, Blues, Gospel music are a african american thing. the samething with soul food is a black american thing. However there are many things black americans and white americans share together more then they are different like nationailty, history on American land, language, clothing attire, westernized view point, even foods(besides soul foods), and etc.

lol^ I don't even know whether i should even bother countering this lady's post anymore

Can you elaborate on the bold because what followed the Bold is Incorrect. It's all intergrated. Country Music Might be the one exception.

Rock and Roll was originally black dominated and of Black Origin...All the genres these days are intergrated.

I am not sure what the bold means, considering Africa Cultures are Divided by different ethnic Groups, which would be no different than Mexican American Rap music Versus Black American Rap Music....

It would seem to me that all Nations have Ethnic Groups Divided By Culture.

The Bold just makes absolutely no Sense....

......lol

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 12:26am On Aug 09, 2012

I don't think i know of Any Ethnic Grouping that does not have a Culture.

Also, A case can be made as far as "Popular Culture" in America is concerned, Blacks have been the most Influential Group to the Pot.

Just off Sports,Cinema,Music,Food Alone.....

2 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 12:36am On Aug 09, 2012
If you took religion out of the equation....

And Judged America By the Entire Population in 2012

It's clear that Blacks have had the most Influence over Americans way of Life...

Customary beliefs, social forms, speech, Actions....

Middle White America Parents condemn their children for what is called "Acting Black"

..The Enterianment Industry is dominicated by black culture...

Comedians,Athletes,Muscians....basicaly Black Americans have dominated the Televison Screen

This has reshaped the way Americans think, believe and Act.

Truthfully the real reason is this...Black American Populations are the Largest in Americas Biggest Cities

And those Cities have the largest influence over the Country.

The Same way Yoruba influence so much of what goes on in Lagos(maybe?)...So culture spreads through MegaCities.

Mtv and Espn contributed allot to lol considering the mass "black" takeover over those networks and "performers"

7 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 12:37am On Aug 09, 2012
Amazing How i keep getting Banned...LML

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 9:34am On Sep 07, 2014
Yes they have a culture. The thing is our culture is basically the fabric of American culture. Even Rock music is a genera created by blacks. Our foods our ingrained in American culture. All other groups seem to take a mostly back seat. Black peoples dances music food, words everything here is copied from us.

2 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 9:38am On Sep 07, 2014
Ptolomeus: Dear friend:
It is a broad topic.
In some countries, the African-American culture (if indeed it exists) is the sum of different African cultures, adapted also to a different medium. For example, it is unthinkable cooking with palm oil in countries that lack this product ...
In other countries, historical questions, each ethnic group has kept alive their particular traditions.
But actually, there is an African-American culture (when I say "American" I mean not only the United States, but the three Americas).
African American culture that covers all aspects of social and have been rescued since the days of slavery.
My greetings to all!

No disrespect but I disagree with this. Black American culture is distinct and different from many west african tribal cultures. Matter of fact people claim that black american culture is a blend of west african cultures but they fail to prove this every time.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 07, 2014
mags5222:

No disrespect but I disagree with this. Black American culture is distinct and different from many west african tribal cultures. Matter of fact people claim that black american culture is a blend of west african cultures but they fail to prove this every time.
Your ignorance of history is stunning.

4 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 1:46am On Sep 08, 2014
ROSSIKE:
Your ignorance of history is stunning.

Umm how so? Our food is indigenous, and our music is a mix of us and european. So how am I ignorant? Not saying that there wasn't any cultural impact from yoruba and igbo but it sure isn't strong, in America. I see the congo imprint left. But i never see the other group impact. But overall our culture is different and distinct which is why we can't see eye to eye, with the blacks on the continent.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 4:30am On Sep 08, 2014
anonymous6:

Plus America doesn't have cultures like it is in Asia, Africa and etc.

Are you implying that America doesn't have a "native culture?" It does, the cultures of the Native Americans who were here before anyone else.

African Americans have their own culture.

3 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 8:50pm On Sep 08, 2014
AABeauty:

Are you implying that America doesn't have a "native culture?" It does, the cultures of the Native Americans who were here before anyone else.

African Americans have their own culture.

Correct.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by rattlesnake(m): 5:43am On Sep 09, 2014
Weed

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by lilprinze: 5:45am On Sep 09, 2014
African Americans have a culture.
African American culture is rooted in West and Central Africa. Understanding its identity within the culture of the United States it is, in the anthropological sense, conscious of its
origins as largely a blend of West and Central African cultures. Although slavery greatly restricted the ability of African-Americans to practice their original cultural traditions, many practices, values and beliefs survived,
and over time have modified and/or blended with European cultures and other cultures such as that of Native Americans .

4 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by tinuolababy(f): 5:45am On Sep 09, 2014
Yes they have
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by msmon(m): 5:46am On Sep 09, 2014
Wait!
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Chrisabig(m): 5:48am On Sep 09, 2014
What?
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by fowowe411: 5:49am On Sep 09, 2014
It is too early for this abeg...#hustle sha ni koko

2 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Chrisabig(m): 5:50am On Sep 09, 2014
Where is there culture pls, there big shoe or big jeans? shocked
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mdee1(m): 5:52am On Sep 09, 2014
space booked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mosho2good: 5:53am On Sep 09, 2014
Yes they have egungun and eyo festival
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Afam4eva(m): 5:53am On Sep 09, 2014
Hip Hop and Rap is African American culture. Ebonics is African American culture. Jumping the broom is African American culture. They surely have a culture.

4 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by EbuGeneral(m): 5:54am On Sep 09, 2014
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Onlytru: 5:55am On Sep 09, 2014

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by EbuGeneral(m): 5:55am On Sep 09, 2014
.hmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19)

Ooni Of Ife's Wives As They Prepare To Bury Their Husband (photos) / “The Next Ooni Will Not Eat Sijuwade’s Heart” - Ife Chief / Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi & His Wives At His Daughter's wedding (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.