Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,928 members, 7,952,736 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:34 PM

Do African Americans Have A Culture? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do African Americans Have A Culture? (59525 Views)

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil / Why Do African Women Dislike African American Women? / Do African's Love Asian People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Go Down)

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Kingmalik: 9:20pm On Sep 09, 2014
the real rock & roll was first Black:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQCoG75xh1A?list=UUsLf5-5Eu6FcfNSElta3R-Q

And HIphop alone has its own dance style, Graffiti art style, fashion, language slang, & poetry that I even see India, china, japan, russia imitating. But it is Black American culture....so of course it is a huge culture.

I think im gonna write a book on Black American culture now for Nigerians lol. grin

Black America is not more violent than Nigeria. Lets be honest. MUHAHAHA

Black America culture is taking over the world....from Europe to Asia. Why we juju not on tv? lol grin

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Hbuyosh(m): 10:02pm On Sep 09, 2014
Nebeuwa: I was recently arguing with a Nigerian friend of mine, concerning this topic. She believes that African Americans do not have a culture and that it is only a subset of the wider American culture.

At first, I was offended when she made that statement, because I saw that as an attack on half of my identity through my maternal side. I stated by looking at our music, our cuisine and our form of speech, that is an expression of culture.

So do you all think African Americans have a culture or not?
Surely, can a society exist without a culture? What is your defination of culture? The AA do not exist in a vaccum and secluded from each other, they are social animals just like the rest of us. They have borrowed some of the best(and the worst) from the other cultures, and with the synthesis of their own, they have created their own culture, which is quite distinct from the rest. This question is rather preposterous and demeaning to the AAs.

2 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Fulaman198(m): 10:15pm On Sep 09, 2014
Kingmalik: the real rock & roll was first Black:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQCoG75xh1A?list=UUsLf5-5Eu6FcfNSElta3R-Q

And HIphop alone has its own dance style, Graffiti art style, fashion, language slang, & poetry that I even see India, china, japan, russia imitating. But it is Black American culture....so of course it is a huge culture.

I think im gonna write a book on Black American culture now for Nigerians lol. grin

Black America is not more violent than Nigeria. Lets be honest. MUHAHAHA

Black America culture is taking over the world....from Europe to Asia. Why we juju not on tv? lol grin

Americans (not only black) are more violent than Nigerians. Let's be honest. America is a violent country (as is Australia). All they portray in a lot of their movies is violence and a whole bunch of other stuff that you would never see in Nigerian films or West African films.

I like the pictures you posted. Rock n roll was indeed a black concept, as we have Sahelian music that sounds similar to it.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Caseless2: 10:18pm On Sep 09, 2014
whitecat007: Jumping of broom is traditionally Romani people, it was just recently exported to America.
u dnt mean it.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Sep 09, 2014
As long as you are a human belonging to a society, you have a culture... PERIOD.

3 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by ogaju007(m): 10:34pm On Sep 09, 2014
fairheven:
U r very funny,u r not in their shoes,are u?many off them earnestly long to connect with their root but cannot.u font know wt it means to cut one-off from his heritage...if u do u won't say wt u r saying.they may not know 4000years history,but many of wd love to know todsys reality

ah ah shebi you know your own culture, tell me your history ....... abi which kain wahala be dis?
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Sep 09, 2014
Diane Warren along with Michael Masser composed over 80 percent of whitney houston's greatest hits .
Rod Temperton pictured below composed michael jackson's earlier hits and over 30 percent of luther vandross and marvin gaye songs .

4 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Sep 09, 2014
Adolph Sax invented the Saxophone . is it possible to invent the saxophone without inventing Jazz music ?
Kenny G pictured below and the likes of Richard Elliot , has sold over 160 million records worldwide while underground artist are playing little gigs at bars . why?

4 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 11:30pm On Sep 09, 2014
John D. Rockefeller was an advocate of abolition. he built numerous housing and universities for black ,and supported the migration of blacks from south to the north . although his kid and grand kids are evil bastards .
John rockefeller built the historic black college " Tuskegee University" in Tuskegee, Alabama .
John Rockefeller's Wife "Laura Spelman Rockefeller " built Spelman College ,an historically black college in Atlanta.

4 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Kingmalik: 1:52am On Sep 10, 2014
theSlayer: Diane Warren along with Michael Masser composed over 80 percent of whitney houston's greatest hits .
Rod Temperton pictured below composed michael jackson's earlier hits and over 30 percent of luther vandross and marvin gaye songs .

Most white producers were ripping off old African American gospel & blues hits. Most of the great African American singers & songs come from their old Black American church traditions.

The whites steal & copyright others culture. Most of those old Blues men that created rock& roll died penniless while the white stole & own the copyright to the great music.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Kingmalik: 1:59am On Sep 10, 2014
theSlayer: John D. Rockefeller was an advocate of abolition. he built numerous housing and universities for black ,and supported the migration of blacks from south to the north . although his kid and grand kids are evil bastards .
John rockefeller built the historic black college " Tuskegee University" in Tuskegee, Alabama .
John Rockefeller's Wife "Laura Spelman Rockefeller " built Spelman College ,an historically black college in Atlanta.

Have you ever heard of the Tuskegee experiments where they use Black Americans as lab rats & give them syphilis & watch them die. White devils are sick. (Ebola)? Biological warfare. They all evil bastards.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Kingmalik: 2:33am On Sep 10, 2014
theSlayer: Adolph Sax invented the Saxophone . is it possible to invent the saxophone without inventing Jazz music ?
Kenny G pictured below and the likes of Richard Elliot , has sold over 160 million records worldwide while underground artist are playing little gigs at bars . why?

Why.... because Kenny g & Richard Elliot is one of the Biggest thieves of Black American music promoted by white media. I hate Kenny g & his fake Jazz.

Whites spend their stolen wealth on stolen culture.

Africans had horns of all variations before the white race came out of their Neanderthal caves in Europe.
Africans had lutes, horns, harps, drums, hand pianos, fiddles & violins (lutes played with bows), flutes, etc. long before white ppl.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by TerryCarr(m): 4:46am On Sep 10, 2014
Kingmalik:

Why.... because Kenny g & Richard Elliot is one of the Biggest thieves of Black American music promoted by white media. I hate Kenny g & his fake Jazz.

Whites spend their stolen wealth on stolen culture.

Africans had horns of all variations before the white race came out of their Neanderthal caves in Europe.
Africans had lutes, horns, harps, drums, hand pianos, fiddles & violins (lutes played with bows), flutes, etc. long before white ppl.
just like everybody else your point?
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by icekidgodfrey(m): 10:25am On Sep 10, 2014
Nebeuwa: I was recently arguing with a Nigerian friend of mine, concerning this topic. She believes that African Americans do not have a culture and that it is only a subset of the wider American culture.

At first, I was offended when she made that statement, because I saw that as an attack on half of my identity through my maternal side. I stated by looking at our music, our cuisine and our form of speech, that is an expression of culture.

So do you all think African Americans have a culture or not?

The problem is the ones at home, like 100% in the motherland judge us by what they see on tv. Yes, stuffs like that exists, but we got hella cultures too; but crazy, worthy & unworthy ones. They're all culture, c'mon... Lol, weed is black, booze, tattoos(we took that over), our music, plus some crazy bum sh*ts too lol. But to be serious our pattern of speaking, music, before you argue tho... Try attending a black wedding. Thanksgiving, that's somethang we observe too, Black Friday gotta be my fav tho. Lol, I could go on for long... But hey! We got hella culture, when u look into it tho its 99% what's done down home. The way black parents whoop their kids... Mahnn, that's BLACK CULTURE!!!
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by icekidgodfrey(m): 10:30am On Sep 10, 2014
Fulaman198:

Americans (not only black) are more violent than Nigerians. Let's be honest. America is a violent country (as is Australia). All they portray in a lot of their movies is violence and a whole bunch of other stuff that you would never see in Nigerian films or West African films.

I like the pictures you posted. Rock n roll was indeed a black concept, as we have Sahelian music that sounds similar to it.

Lol, that's DUMB! The reason is cos Nigerian Movie Industry is laid back! They're so lame even a slap in movies are fake. When Nigerians try to use guns in their movies, they don't even shoot it... I just be laughing, like wtf? Lol. I promise anyday Nigerian movies portray 'hot pursuit' in their movies and its worth it; imma go Nollywood 100%. You talk of violence, what do u call the voodoos Nigerians show in movies? Black Magic? Lol... Negro gimme a break!

2 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by anonymous6(f): 1:56pm On Sep 10, 2014
AABeauty:

Are you implying that America doesn't have a "native culture?" It does, the cultures of the Native Americans who were here before anyone else.

African Americans have their own culture.

Yeah true Native Americans have a native culture, I forgot to mention them but I already mentioned african americans have a culture already to a extent, so I don't know why you are repeating it but it is not native when it comes to old world cultures in Asia, African and etc

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Muscomide: 4:25pm On Sep 10, 2014
Of course, they have a culture. One just needs to look at the Nigerian entertainment industry to see the influence of African American culture. I daresay even that their culture is the dominant culture in music worldwide today.

3 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 7:57pm On Sep 10, 2014
Omotolu: ...no culture is superior to another culture-all is equal...

I didn't say it was. I said black American culture is distinct and pretty much it is indigenous American culture for the most part.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 7:59pm On Sep 10, 2014
anonymous6:

Yeah true Native Americans have a native culture, I forgot to mention them but I already mentioned african americans have a culture already to a extent, so I don't know why you are repeating it but it is not native when it comes to old world cultures in Asia, African and etc

Yes it is native. Rather we are speaking on food our dances and music all originated in North America, and not Africa. Sorry.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 8:03pm On Sep 10, 2014
lilprinze: African Americans have a culture.
African American culture is rooted in West and Central Africa. Understanding its identity within the culture of the United States it is, in the anthropological sense, conscious of its
origins as largely a blend of West and Central African cultures. Although slavery greatly restricted the ability of African-Americans to practice their original cultural traditions, many practices, values and beliefs survived,
and over time have modified and/or blended with European cultures and other cultures such as that of Native Americans .

Proof of this? There was no such restriction as was lead on to beLIEVE. There maybe some overlap but this doesn't prove that black american culture is rooted in west-central Africa. No disrespect. There is a central African influence but no proof that the root is African or even wholly African.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 8:05pm On Sep 10, 2014
Afam4eva: Hip Hop and Rap is African American culture. Ebonics is African American culture. Jumping the broom is African American culture. They surely have a culture.

Yes those are our music art forms, and Ebonics is our dialect. Unique in away because it is its only language that blacks created here. Probably used as code so people couldn't understand what they were talking about during War times.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 8:09pm On Sep 10, 2014
kpolli: Define culture, then look at the black american race...... You would get your answer there.

Quick question, name the characteristics and behavior of the typical black american

This is the question that i have for all west Africans on this forum if black americans are such bad people than why do you continuously claim that we are of some west-central african origin when it is obvious we aren't your people. The closet group to black americans are the Caribs. And guess what? They are a mix group of people with a hint of congoid but mostly indigenous Americans.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 8:11pm On Sep 10, 2014
Clone2020: Africans living in the U.S have no regard for their African-American brothers and sisters. Most Africans look down on African-Americans, calling them lazy, akata and all around useless people. But what African immigrants tend to forget is that without the riots, protests and bloodshed of the Civil Rights Movement in the 60's in America, Africans will not be allowed to migrate into America. These very people we look down on are the reasons why most Africans get financial aid in schools, get acceptance into prestigious schools and jobs at top companies partly due to affirmative action. Rather than judging them, we need to embrace them and help them in any way we can, after all without their efforts in fighting for equal rights, most of us wouldn't even dream of entering the country.

Now in regards to the cultural aspect, African-Americans are very rich culturally especially the ones living in the south in states like Georgia, Alabama, north Carolina, Missouri and co. Their main diet consists of pig feet, coleslaw and collard greens, afterall they are the masters of soul food. They speak English and Ebonics. They are also the pioneers of Jazz Music and soul songs.

Try befriending them and leave the all the bias at bay and u will find out that they are truly good people and our not so distant cousins.

I would say because of wide spread media warfare, and the fact that it is obvious Nigerians and others aren't the same as black americans.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 8:13pm On Sep 10, 2014
RFella: African Americans are simply suffering from "identity crisis"

Yes they are by identifying with a foreign land and dismissing their ancestors, they are suffering.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 8:17pm On Sep 10, 2014
paris10: When we say culture, we mean some sort of traditions within a particular set of group or people. AA do have a culture; we call it the pop or hiphop culture.

Everything the AA does is a derivative of the hip hop culture; a culture with no set of rules or guidance as to the morality of life.

Now, every race or tribe do have a culture, but most times, the definition of the word differs. The police for example do have a culture ( cop culture ), but its objective is negatively detrimental to the people it profess to serve.

The AA ( I personally prefer Black American) are lovely people but violence within its youth is taking away the victory marches the likes of MLK et al died to preserve. AA were meant to possess and retain within them the rich African heritage and culture brought to America by our forefathers, but no, they instead invented their own way of life... a life so negatively impaired by the new crops of the so called "role model" the music industry breeds.

Of course you would say this bullshit because 1 you're an African and 2 you have no idea about our culture neither do you have any idea of our people. Or our history in the US and how our music and art forms have been co opted and transformed into something it wasn't meant to be. Listen buddy we aren't of your people. Hence why we don't see eye to eye. In the minds of many Africans whites have never did anything to them, thus once can assume this is true. Myself personally I don't care for MLK. but he was on to something with his I had a dream speech about the American Negro.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 8:19pm On Sep 10, 2014
kobonaire: Yes, African Americans have a culture and it is not Nigerian, or African either, the culture is African American. You could debate about their culture and that's probably a different topic but yes they do have a culture.
I'm not sure if the OP or other folks are expecting them to be wearing wrapper, tie head tie, drink palm wine eat kola-nut??
grin

LOL agreed! I wouldn't even call them African either. No disrespect to the people on the continent.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 8:20pm On Sep 10, 2014
musicwriter: This type of thread may encourage racism and ignorance.

America is one country that was formed by visitors.

America do not belong to any racial group cause every US citizen was once a visitor including Christopher Columbus.

The red Indians are known to be the only original inhabitants of then ''the new world''.

So, to answer your question; blacks in America are not Africans so they cannot have any other culture other than American culture. They're the lost tribes of Africa in same way caucasians are the lost tribes of Europe and they're both gone forever. Again, blacks are pure Americans and they have American culture.

If I may, I can go as far as saying the term ''African American'' itself need to be questioned cause I don't get to hear caucasians being addressed as ''European Americans''.

Just a little bit emotional about this topic cause last week I happen to write this powerful song called ''the lost tribes''.

LMFAO yea sure about the socalled Red Indians. And about blacks being the lost tribes of Africa. I think the biggest issue is to associate any 1 group with a region or a big landmass.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 8:21pm On Sep 10, 2014
pDude: Yes. Culture of having different kids from different men while unmarried and living on welfare.

That is a culture.

LOL and this is why many black americans don't like Africans.

2 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 8:23pm On Sep 10, 2014
kobonaire: they are the first occupants of North America ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_United_States

No they're not. More and more people are starting to agree that North America was populated by different groups of people, Australoids,Polynesian Types, Melanesian Types etc... Some idiots think these people disappeared they didn't they were absorbed and mixed in.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 8:26pm On Sep 10, 2014
Horayce:
Just saying, but affirmative action has run its course. It's unfair and unjust and should simply go away. No race should be given preferential treatment over another. If you want to help people from indigent socioeconomic backgrounds that's one thing, but it should have nothing do with my colour. Affirmative action disgusts me even as a black person.

LOL and you see why we don't have a connection? Affirmative action doesn't even benefit black americans and doesn't even guarantee them a job. This is why the unemployment rate is so high.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mags5222: 8:28pm On Sep 10, 2014
HandOfChukwu: Yes, of course they do, they even have an IGBO village in Virginia as many African-Americans are descendants of my tribe. I study black history in general and found that they also have made basically all forms of music we listen to in the world today, Jazz, Ragtime, Gospel, Swing, Techno, House, Dubstep, RnB, Hip-Hop, Disco, Rock, Blues etc.. and the African diaspora in the Caribbean and South America made Salsa, Reggae, Samba, Tango etc... even the creator of classical musical Beethoven was part black, so even in the face of discrimination in foreign lands the fact they were able to do all this deserves respect. Also their food is still cooked in an African way.

LMFAO ain't none African regarding our food our dance style neither our music or food. That is so obvious. There maybe a touch of Congo here and there which I respect. But it ain't going to go as far as that.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by kobonaire(m): 8:29pm On Sep 10, 2014
mags5222:

No they're not. More and more people are starting to agree that North America was populated by different groups of people, Australoids,Polynesian Types, Melanesian Types etc... Some idiots think these people disappeared they didn't they were absorbed and mixed in.
Interesting, I will have to read up on that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19)

Olu Of Warri Hangs Out With FIFA Officials At Qatar (pics) / About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes / 'I Got Three Wives Through Flogging' - Fulani Man (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.