Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:05 PM

Do African Americans Have A Culture? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do African Americans Have A Culture? (58536 Views)

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil / Why Do African Women Dislike African American Women? / Do African's Love Asian People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Go Down)

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mcpat(m): 5:55am On Sep 09, 2014
Mods this thread is so 2012 na!!!
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by kpolli(m): 5:58am On Sep 09, 2014
Define culture, then look at the black american race...... You would get your answer there.

Quick question, name the characteristics and behavior of the typical black american

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by mdee1(m): 5:58am On Sep 09, 2014
Nebeuwa:

African Americans also referred to as Black American is a term used to describe citizens of the United States who have total or significant partial ancestry from any of the native populations of Sub-Saharan Africa.
It depends on where their ancestors come from in Africa...I guess
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by alaladakosta(f): 5:59am On Sep 09, 2014
K
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Clone2020(m): 6:08am On Sep 09, 2014
Africans living in the U.S have no regard for their African-American brothers and sisters. Most Africans look down on African-Americans, calling them lazy, akata and all around useless people. But what African immigrants tend to forget is that without the riots, protests and bloodshed of the Civil Rights Movement in the 60's in America, Africans will not be allowed to migrate into America. These very people we look down on are the reasons why most Africans get financial aid in schools, get acceptance into prestigious schools and jobs at top companies partly due to affirmative action. Rather than judging them, we need to embrace them and help them in any way we can, after all without their efforts in fighting for equal rights, most of us wouldn't even dream of entering the country.

Now in regards to the cultural aspect, African-Americans are very rich culturally especially the ones living in the south in states like Georgia, Alabama, north Carolina, Missouri and co. Their main diet consists of pig feet, coleslaw and collard greens, afterall they are the masters of soul food. They speak English and Ebonics. They are also the pioneers of Jazz Music and soul songs.

Try befriending them and leave the all the bias at bay and u will find out that they are truly good people and our not so distant cousins.

12 Likes

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by iJAY1: 6:09am On Sep 09, 2014

Middle White America Parents condemn their children for what is called "Acting Black"
right. they say it in a discriminatory manner
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by RFella(m): 6:17am On Sep 09, 2014
African Americans are simply suffering from "identity crisis"
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 6:31am On Sep 09, 2014
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:36am On Sep 09, 2014
Every race has its culture. Africans are so obsessed with their "culture" to the extent that they now feel that Europeans who do not prostrate when the greet, wear ankara, tie wrappers, etc, do not have a culture.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Ezyp(m): 6:37am On Sep 09, 2014
2 year old thread just made front page??

Well i still get hope for all my hard work with research and my thread no make FP
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 6:44am On Sep 09, 2014
mcpat: Mods this thread is so 2012 na!!!
E dey surprise me sef o. How topic go make frontpage 2 years later. There's something sinister about this. These moderators, what's your motive?

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by jeffizy(m): 6:48am On Sep 09, 2014
Yes, they do.
A culture of 'blame'.

Always blaming the white man for all their woes.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by maskamdo(m): 6:48am On Sep 09, 2014
Nebeuwa: I was recently arguing with a Nigerian friend of mine, concerning this topic. She believes that African Americans do not have a culture and that it is only a subset of the wider American culture.

At first, I was offended when she made that statement, because I saw that as an attack on half of my identity through my maternal side. I stated by looking at our music, our cuisine and our form of speech, that is an expression of culture.

So do you all think African Americans have a culture or not?
. Ofcourse they do! Rap culture!!!

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by paris10: 6:55am On Sep 09, 2014
When we say culture, we mean some sort of traditions within a particular set of group or people. AA do have a culture; we call it the pop or hiphop culture.

Everything the AA does is a derivative of the hip hop culture; a culture with no set of rules or guidance as to the morality of life.

Now, every race or tribe do have a culture, but most times, the definition of the word differs. The police for example do have a culture ( cop culture ), but its objective is negatively detrimental to the people it profess to serve.

The AA ( I personally prefer Black American) are lovely people but violence within its youth is taking away the victory marches the likes of MLK et al died to preserve. AA were meant to possess and retain within them the rich African heritage and culture brought to America by our forefathers, but no, they instead invented their own way of life... a life so negatively impaired by the new crops of the so called "role model" the music industry breeds.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by kobonaire(m): 6:58am On Sep 09, 2014
Yes, African Americans have a culture and it is not Nigerian, or African either, the culture is African American. You could debate about their culture and that's probably a different topic but yes they do have a culture.
I'm not sure if the OP or other folks are expecting them to be wearing wrapper, tie head tie, drink palm wine eat kola-nut??
grin

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by musicwriter(m): 6:58am On Sep 09, 2014
This type of thread may encourage racism and ignorance.

America is one country that was formed by visitors.

America do not belong to any racial group cause every US citizen was once a visitor including Christopher Columbus.

The red Indians are known to be the only original inhabitants of then ''the new world''.

So, to answer your question; blacks in America are not Africans so they cannot have any other culture other than American culture. They're the lost tribes of Africa in same way caucasians are the lost tribes of Europe and they're both gone forever. Again, blacks are pure Americans and they have American culture.

If I may, I can go as far as saying the term ''African American'' itself need to be questioned cause I don't get to hear caucasians being addressed as ''European Americans''.

Just a little bit emotional about this topic cause last week I happen to write this powerful song called ''the lost tribes''.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 6:58am On Sep 09, 2014
Yes. Culture of having different kids from different men while unmarried and living on welfare.

That is a culture.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Abbey2sam(m): 6:59am On Sep 09, 2014
If you took religion out of the equation....

And Judged America By the Entire Population in 2012

It's clear that Blacks have had the most Influence over Americans way of Life...

Customary beliefs, social forms, speech, Actions....

Middle White America Parents condemn their children for what is called "Acting Black"

..The Enterianment Industry is dominicated by black culture...

Comedians,Athletes,Muscians....basicaly Black Americans have dominated the Televison Screen

This has reshaped the way Americans think, believe and Act.

Truthfully the real reason is this...Black American Populations are the Largest in Americas Biggest Cities

And those Cities have the largest influence over the Country.

The Same way Yoruba influence so much of what goes on in Lagos(maybe?)...So culture spreads through MegaCities.

Mtv and Espn contributed allot to lol considering the mass "black" takeover over those networks and "performers"

finally someone is making sense

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by kobonaire(m): 7:02am On Sep 09, 2014
musicwriter: This type of thread encourage racism and ignorance.

America do not belong to any racial group cause every US citizen was once a visitor including Christopher Columbus.

The *** ******* are known to be the only original inhabitants of then ''the new world''.

So, to answer your question; blacks in America are not Africans so they cannot have any other culture other than American culture. There're the lost tribes of Africa and there're gone forever. Again, there're now Americans and they have American culture.
Good point my guy... I would just suggest you change what I starred in your post to Native Americans as the term you used is considered derogatory
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 7:03am On Sep 09, 2014
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by iceberylin(m): 7:05am On Sep 09, 2014
who cares
just passing

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by kobonaire(m): 7:06am On Sep 09, 2014
theSlayer: The native Americans are from Siberia .
they are the first occupants of North America ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_United_States
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Mrval20(m): 7:07am On Sep 09, 2014
Well, for me, Hip Hop is more than just a music genre, it's among the culture of the African Americans....Unborn babies start creating mixtapes right from the day of conception lol.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 7:07am On Sep 09, 2014
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Nobody: 7:08am On Sep 09, 2014
Clone2020: Africans living in the U.S have no regard for their African-American brothers and sisters. Most Africans look down on African-Americans, calling them lazy, akata and all around useless people. But what African immigrants tend to forget is that without the riots, protests and bloodshed of the Civil Rights Movement in the 60's in America, Africans will not be allowed to migrate into America. These very people we look down on are the reasons why most Africans get financial aid in schools, get acceptance into prestigious schools and jobs at top companies partly due to affirmative action.
Just saying, but affirmative action has run its course. It's unfair and unjust and should simply go away. No race should be given preferential treatment over another. If you want to help people from indigent socioeconomic backgrounds that's one thing, but it should have nothing do with my colour. Affirmative action disgusts me even as a black person.
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by amnestylaw1(m): 7:11am On Sep 09, 2014
One way to address this issue and put it to rest is to define "culture." An understanding of what constitute a people's "culture" should help us know whether or not African-Americans have one. Henslin (2013) write that "culture is the language, beliefs, values, norms, behaviors, and even material objects that characterize a group and are passed from one generation to the next" (p. 485). This definition, depending on how you interpret it, suggests that African-Americans are not "cultureless."

I will add that there is a significant "culture leveling"---that is, the process by which cultures become similar to one another--- among the African American culture on the one hand, and general American culture on the other hand.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by HandOfChukwu: 7:11am On Sep 09, 2014
Yes, of course they do, they even have an IGBO village in Virginia as many African-Americans are descendants of my tribe. I study black history in general and found that they also have made basically all forms of music we listen to in the world today, Jazz, Ragtime, Gospel, Swing, Techno, House, Dubstep, RnB, Hip-Hop, Disco, Rock, Blues etc.. and the African diaspora in the Caribbean and South America made Salsa, Reggae, Samba, Tango etc... even the creator of classical musical Beethoven was part black, so even in the face of discrimination in foreign lands the fact they were able to do all this deserves respect. Also their food is still cooked in an African way.

1 Like

Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Okeikpu(m): 7:11am On Sep 09, 2014
MrsChima:

What is African American

grin Nwanyi ibukwa onu ojoo cheesy
Re: Do African Americans Have A Culture? by Okeikpu(m): 7:16am On Sep 09, 2014
Nebeuwa: I was recently arguing with a Nigerian friend of mine, concerning this topic. She believes that African Americans do not have a culture and that it is only a subset of the wider American culture.

At first, I was offended when she made that statement, because I saw that as an attack on half of my identity through my maternal side. I stated by looking at our music, our cuisine and our form of speech, that is an expression of culture

So do you all think African Americans have a culture or not?
Nonsense post -,- nonsense!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19)

A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State / Why Aren't There Any Successful Black Nations In The World? / Martha Dunkwu, The Omu Of Anioma: As Queen, I Can Only Marry A Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.