Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,505 members, 7,826,908 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? (10259 Views)

Is It Advisable For A B.sc Holder To Work As A LASTMA Official? / HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. / M.sc In Biochemistry Or B.sc In Nursing, Which Should I Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by Mustay(m): 8:41am On Aug 14, 2012
AjanleKoko:
Bros.
I need to be harsh. Apart from Facebook and Twitter, plus Sexuality section on Nairaland, our recent graduates and current undergrads are not doing anything else with their lives. Now they want to run abroad to continue their indolence. They should all be caned, before i even give them any info.

I wish you people know the battle we fight with our oyinbo employers, who are always looking for opportunities to stick a foreigner in our midst, to earn heavy dollars and live in Ikoyi. Na the laws of Nigeria no allow dem.

If your popsy has enough money to send you to Harvard, na your luck be that. But if your popsy is like mine, won't you borrow yourself brain?

18Likes mahn!

This thread is the funniest I ever read on this section especially when the OP's 1st class is called into question (digging from his other thread) and how if man no know, he would've convinced man say na English just be him problem. Whilst, science fellas do struggle with English language, I strongly disagree that it gets to a stage of 'struggling' to construct simple terms - we need to remember that your mathematics knowledge is kinda &*^^ if you can't communicate effectively. Makes me remember a lady who went for a conference with guys from different disciplines only to express her disgust at everyone using 'big big' terms and really not getting any message to participants.

I like the part of spanking Messrs Ajanlekoko, it's unfortunate some/most (depending on the statistics) youths have their orientation skewed and I observe this is largely due to the ineffectiveness or absence of G&C from high schools to universities. I get worried when some can't write well on facebook for example even if you're not graded there. Perhaps, that's why twitter has more ffs (maybe it's for those who "wryt lyk ds"wink).
Methinks, we need to kill off this 'slave mentality' affecting many of us here. Truth is, we sometimes don't know why we went to school. Stop succumbing to the mugunness that the oyibo's own is always better - I don't want to be miscontrued o but what the world needs are solutions and you're simply a 'tool' to make their engines work. Your certificate is like a manual that is not read if you can't deliver. As usual, my mantra has always been that you make the best use of what you got (and never limit yourself to just your discipline) - most schools of thought are interwoven in one way or the other.

Thanks to everyone here for making my day.

P.S. Aja, I'd PM you lera. Need you lera.. cool

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by Nobody: 10:42am On Aug 16, 2012
The Op is a blatant liar. I didn't hear of any first class student from Maths department this year.

Highest you guys produced was a 2:1 but all the same your English sucks and need to work harder.

Using past tense in place of present tenses doesn't really bode well for someone who claims to have a first class.

You must be well rounded in all aspects.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by yemmyma: 5:12pm On Aug 16, 2012
mdsocks: The Op is a blatant liar. I didn't hear of any first class student from Maths department this year.

Highest you guys produced was a 2:1 but all the same your English sucks and need to work harder.

Using past tense in place of present tenses doesn't really bode well for someone who claims to have a first class.

Is someone interested in the genuineness of the content of this thread? All these yays and nays are getting out of hand.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by jonath0012(m): 9:34pm On Aug 16, 2012
mdsocks: The Op is a blatant liar. I didn't hear of any first class student from Maths department this year.

Guy, which planet are you from? Unilorin produced five (5) first class in mathematics this year, and i do not doubt his (Op's) claim.
So, try to do your research well before you come on puplic forum as this to call people names.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by Mustay(m): 10:35pm On Aug 16, 2012
www.nairaland.com/534849/pls-work-telecom-oil-company

Well, let's just always remember, we'll always be 'called' to defend our certificate(s).
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by Nobody: 11:25am On Aug 20, 2012
jonath0012:

Guy, which planet are you from? Unilorin produced five (5) first class in mathematics this year, and i do not doubt his (Op's) claim.
So, try to do your research well before you come on puplic forum as this to call people names.

ok...sorry for the unverified claims..i had a younger bro studying mathematics from same uni and he said they didnt produce any first class... but anyways I retract the statement..Cest finale??
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by lambalamb(m): 7:53pm On Aug 20, 2012
jonath0012:

Nice one bro....thanks
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by mcstan18(m): 3:53am On Sep 01, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Bros.
I need to be harsh. Apart from Facebook and Twitter, plus Sexuality section on Nairaland, our recent graduates and current undergrads are not doing anything else with their lives. Now they want to run abroad to continue their indolence. They should all be caned, before i even give them any info.

I wish you people know the battle we fight with our oyinbo employers, who are always looking for opportunities to stick a foreigner in our midst, to earn heavy dollars and live in Ikoyi. Na the laws of Nigeria no allow dem.

Plus, I am about to be harsh with you too, my broda. You left opportunities like that to pursue foreign paper?
Foreign paper is not running anywhere. Some organizations are even paying for staff to get foreign paper from solid schools. So many things that can't just be said here on Nairaland. I suppose just dey look as people carry on with their foolishness.

If your popsy has enough money to send you to Harvard, na your luck be that. But if your popsy is like mine, won't you borrow yourself brain?

P.S. 2:1 is almost as good as first class. They will call you to tests and interviews. Now up to you to show your mettle.

Hi Aj,
what about a 2:1 in math from a top Federal university? I am one, and seem to buy your arguements- so credible to be overlooked. Inasmuch as I'm half a step closer to landing a KPMG job, I'd still relish the prospect of being coveted by other top companies around like you succintly pointed out. I don't think I'm doing badly intellectulally myself- you may wish to do a verification on this. I sure look forward to hearing from you(** at yahoo dot co dot uk). What a polymath you are! I'm so impressed

Yours truly,
mcstan_18
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by Nobody: 10:49am On Sep 05, 2012
jonath0012:

cool truly..i'm a student of unilorin n 5 1st class students were produced....convocation is nxt month..wait 4 official info..
i luv dis thread..
i would personally luv 2 meet aj and jarus..n sum odas..plz let der be a kind of forum for popular NL plz.
seminar, or sumtin lik dat..plz
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by SBabaJ(m): 5:33pm On Sep 11, 2012
The Quality Of The Advice On This Thread Is Quite High. It's More Of An Annual "Ritual" For Department Of Mathematics To Produce First Class Graduates. Lamba Lamb, I Hope You Have Learned A Thing Or Two. Peace.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by lambalamb(m): 7:03pm On Sep 11, 2012
SBabaJ: The Quality Of The Advice On This Thread Is Quite High. It's More Of An Annual "Ritual" For Department Of Mathematics To Produce First Class Graduates. Lamba Lamb, I Hope You Have Learned A Thing Or Two. Peace.

yeso! thanks
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by SBabaJ(m): 6:47am On Sep 12, 2012
cedaraustine:

cool truly..i'm a student of unilorin n 5 1st class students were produced....convocation is nxt month..wait 4 official info..
i luv dis thread..
i would personally luv 2 meet aj and jarus..n sum odas..plz let der be a kind of forum for popular NL plz.
seminar, or sumtin lik dat..plz
It's Good To Know You Appreciate The Great Work The Aforementioned NLDers Are Doing. It Is Also A Nice Desire To Want To Mee Them. I Am However Concerned, You Do Not Sound Like You Have Any Good Enough Reason For That Desire Of Yours. Inasmuch As I Would Also Like To Meet Them, I Suggest We Make The Best Use Of Their Knowledge/Experience Now, And Inevitably, We Shall Get Our Desires.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Sep 15, 2012
SBabaJ:
It's Good To Know You Appreciate The Great Work The Aforementioned NLDers Are Doing. It Is Also A Nice Desire To Want To Mee Them. I Am However Concerned, You Do Not Sound Like You Have Any Good Enough Reason For That Desire Of Yours. Inasmuch As I Would Also Like To Meet Them, I Suggest We Make The Best Use Of Their Knowledge/Experience Now, And Inevitably, We Shall Get Our Desires.

"You Do Not Sound Like You Have Any Good Enough Reason For That Desire Of Yours"
what is this supposed to mean (passing judgement?)
jst posted a harmless message wanting to meet dem via seminars or odawise...wat oda gud reason do u request?
i sincerely didn't like that...had honest intentions.
4give ur oversight !

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by asco15(m): 12:00am On Jan 08, 2016
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by Liztee(f): 10:39am On Jul 25, 2016
hmmm. I'm afraid. I am a Bsc holder in mathematics, 2nd class upper. it's like one needs to further one's education or else, one ends up being a mathematics teacher.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by AjanleKoko: 12:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
AjanleKoko:

There are a number of career options for a math graduate in telecom. But you have to work your way in that direction.

- Marketing: Business Intelligence and Market Planning, or Market Research.
- IT: Software engineering, solutions development.
- Finance: Revenue Assurance/Audit

Since you have a first class, why not pursue a career in consulting. The telcos in Nigeria consume a lot of consulting services, from the Big Four as well as offshore firms like Mckinsey, Booz & Co, Delta Partners, Peppers & Rodgers, etc. You should start by pursuing career options in Accenture, PwC, E&Y, Deloitte, or KPMG. With a first class, you are very likely to get a place with one of them. Every one of them have regular engagements with the big telcos, and they will give you the necessary training and exposure you need, to land a good telco position.

[size=3pt]In fact, it's people like you that i would gladly pay for their masters abroad. Not the ones who should ideally be driving trucks for Dangote[/size] grin

Though looking at your original post again . . . did you really make a first class, or you just opened a can-of-gulder thread? undecided
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by nitrogen(m): 2:20pm On Jul 26, 2016
Liztee:
hmmm. I'm afraid. I am a Bsc holder in mathematics, 2nd class upper. it's like one needs to further one's education or else, one ends up being a mathematics teacher.

You don't know the value of your Bsc Mathematics, second class upper for that matter o.......chai!

It is well!
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by DisGuy: 4:25pm On Jul 26, 2016
deenee:
@ Ajanlekoko, VERY FUNNY!
@ Nitrogen, the excuses are real but there is more corruption in the so called abroad than we have in Nigeria.

The LIBOR saga, money laundering issue with HSBC and other stuff is a good testimony to this. [size=14pt]The light issue will soon be a thing of the past and would have been long before now ( as far back as 2001-2002) if Nigerians had supported the initial privatization exercise.[/size] If you are following the exercise closely you will see that a group of people at the helm of affairs at NEPA are just delaying the whole exercise for their selfish reasons. How do you explain over 30 billion missing from a closed pension scheme managed by the union guys?

Finally going abroad to study is just 'a means to an end and not an end in its self'

nitrogen, why you waking up this thread now, see what I just found! 2012!!

Oga Aj, Nitrogen..would you say the career section of this NL is following economics of nigeria..during the boom especially stock market boom this section was banging then...
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by AjanleKoko: 5:04pm On Jul 26, 2016
DisGuy:

Oga Aj, Nitrogen..would you say the career section of this NL is following economics of nigeria..during the boom especially stock market boom this section was banging then...

Not even sure how I got here sef embarassed undecided angry
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jul 26, 2016
nitrogen:

You don't know the value of your Bsc Mathematics, second class upper for that matter o.......chai!

It is well!

Mr Nitrogen, we do know the value of a BSc. Mathematics, but I guess the Nigeria's situation isn't in anyway helping. I graduated with 2.1 in Mathematics (4.25), I also have a MSc Mathematical Sciences (81%) and yet I sit at home day in day out, waiting for mails or messages from organizations and institutions I've applied to. Knowing one's competency is good, of which I can categorically say I do know I am competent, nevertheless I seek opportunities to show my skills and dexterity, whereas I find none up till now. It can be so frustrating, all we hear is people saying 'you don't know the value of what you have'. What value does it have if the chances stay a mile away from us?
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by nitrogen(m): 9:02pm On Jul 26, 2016
DisGuy:

Chai, you are right, I remember those times eh! maybe, by 2017/18, they will come back. cheesy grin
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by AjanleKoko: 10:03am On Jul 27, 2016
shynahmaticz:

Mr Nitrogen, we do know the value of a BSc. Mathematics, but I guess the Nigeria's situation isn't in anyway helping. I graduated with 2.1 in Mathematics (4.25), I also have a MSc Mathematical Sciences (81%) and yet I sit at home day in day out, waiting for mails or messages from organizations and institutions I've applied to. Knowing one's competency is good, of which I can categorically say I do know I am competent, nevertheless I seek opportunities to show my skills and dexterity, whereas I find none up till now. It can be so frustrating, all we hear is people saying 'you don't know the value of what you have'. What value does it have if the chances stay a mile away from us?

There is a serious downturn in the economy now. It's really tough for everyone.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by netotse(m): 10:49am On Jul 27, 2016
shynahmaticz:

What are you doing besides sitting home and waiting for emails and phone calls? That you have a good degree doesn't mean squat. That you think you are competent doesn't mean much either...

What have you done to ensure your skills are being seen by the people that have the ability to make a difference in your situation?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jul 27, 2016
netotse:

What have you done to ensure your skills are being seen by the people that have the ability to make a difference in your situation?

Bro, I have done a lot. I don't mind learning a few tactics from you.
Re: How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? by netotse(m): 11:04pm On Jul 27, 2016
shynahmaticz:

Bro, I have done a lot. I don't mind learning a few tactics from you.

who are you mentors in telecoms? what skills do telecoms companies need that you can offer?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pharmacologist Lets Reason..... / Promotion Racket Rocks Road Safety / Graduate Loan Or Student Loan Which One Has A Better Economic Value

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.