Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation (8803 Views)

The Nigerian Nation Against General Buhari, By Wole Soyinka / Photos Of Funny Looks In Today Reflection Of Apc Decides / Enugu Onitsha Expressway: A Reflection Of A People’s Nightmare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by CyberG: 11:00pm On Aug 06, 2012
speedyboi:

These are the kinda problems that constitute this country. They call themselves nigérians bt they should be called problems.
They always generalise issues, and it is always the negative sides. I know there is a saying which says 'always look on the bright side', I wonder if nigerians ever learn.

Now you told us not to talk about rich nigerians and the middle class. But you are busy generalising that nigerians are suffering.

Check ur self out, are you suffering? Cos I'm not suffering, I look around me I see happy faces who look moderately comfortable and they dwell in comfortable apartments. So because a certain percentage of nigerians are in poverty, then I should keep saying nigerians are poor?
You know exactly what pains me? The fact that people like you can do something to improve it but all you do is keep complaining like a miracle will come from somewhere. Nigerians! Daft set of people (not all of them anyways)

I disagree with Afam on a lot of things but this time he is right and you are SO WRONG! The fact that you are not suffering and you see happy faces in your abode in Lagos, Abuja, PH or somewhere does not mean the majority of Nigerians are therefore not suffering! When last did you go to your village? Or, that you are okay means everyone must be okay while you find a way to share their patrimony like Nigerian leaders have been doing? Your village may even be paved in gold and adorned in rubies but the real test of a sane human society is gauged by the welfare of the WEAKEST, most vulnerable, not the people who have looted the country into near-insolvency or the lapdogs who eat crumbs at their masters table in their trickle-down economic myopia. Get real and stop the elitism and useless backwardness that characterizes Nigerian leaders who keep everyone down because they think they are okay and see "happy faces who look moderately comfortable ".
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by 3kay945(m): 11:13pm On Aug 06, 2012
una go start winning medals when you start thinking like the white and not this corrupt rotten mindset you exhibit. una want thief am?
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by 5alive(m): 11:30pm On Aug 06, 2012
Dede1:

Why would any reasonable fellow blame GEJ when, in fact, it was Nigeria’s despicable society that produced GEJ.

lol
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by cocoduck: 11:39pm On Aug 06, 2012
CyberG:

I disagree with Afam on a lot of things but this time he is right and you are SO WRONG! The fact that you are not suffering and you see happy faces in your abode in Lagos, Abuja, PH or somewhere does not mean the majority of Nigerians are therefore not suffering! When last did you go to your village? Or, that you are okay means everyone must be okay while you find a way to share their patrimony like Nigerian leaders have been doing? Your village may even be paved in gold and adorned in rubies but the real test of a sane human society is gauged by the welfare of the WEAKEST, most vulnerable, not the people who have looted the country into near-insolvency or the lapdogs who eat crumbs at their masters table in their trickle-down economic myopia. Get real and stop the elitism and useless backwardness that characterizes Nigerian leaders who keep everyone down because they think they are okay and see "happy faces who look moderately comfortable ".

look do not mess with politrickian pikkin oo nigeria only exists on paper not on our minds nor on ground he is not suffering cos im papa don steal so much money from nigga area. thunder fire that instrument e use type that dog poo
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by Nobody: 11:41pm On Aug 06, 2012
BlackBaron: A damning indictment of the state of our country. Everything going downhill.

160 million and not a single medal.
Yeah, 160 million people and less than a thousand scumbags to mismanage resources.
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by Eziachi: 12:16am On Aug 07, 2012
Rossikk:

Working in what sense?? I went to work today, had a productive day, and got back home safely, had a nice meal, and played with my kids. Even had time for a beer and some pepper soup courtesy of wifey. Same as millions of Nigerians. That's a lot of facets working right there. I've no idea what you're on about.

So you measure the workings of Nigerian now based on your stomach and nice meals that goes into it? Maybe you should look over your prison like wall and check how productive your neighbours are or even the skeleton looking guy that open your gate the last time he had your assumed regular beer consumption.
countries of few thousands of people and insignificant are winning gold left and right, while your self assumed giant of Africa had more delegate to Earth summit in Brasil than the Olympic in London and you don't think that is a reflection of the current state of Nigeria just because you think are doing okay with pepper soup and you have no idea what others are one about as long as you stomach is stuffed up.
The same mindset of your wicked rulers.

3 Likes

Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by Nobody: 12:35am On Aug 07, 2012
CyberG:

I'm not saying people are not suffering. I'm only saying that you can't dipute the fact that some nigerians are rich as well. all I'm saying is stop generalising. Since you don't want the comfortable ones to talk, then stop the persistent saying that nigerians are poor. We åre saying the same thing.

Mind you, don't think that because people in the village live in mud houses it means they are poor.
Lol....some of them are actually richer than we in the city. They are just not obsessed with luxury (cos they are not too exposed to civilization).
And again....I'm not ajebut, I'm not middle class wink, and I'm not wretched as well
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by Ozonna(m): 12:36am On Aug 07, 2012
Guys abeg let's not blame Pres GEJ for our olympic flop. Its not his fault that we started preparing for olympics few weeks to the tournament. We should blame the elected officials of National olympic commitee and different sports federations who where elected and not appointed by GEJ.

However,for us to do well in future olympics we need massive funding in all the sports events that we feel we have comparative advantage. We need to ressurect and fund school sports.

I know a country like UK give some sort of financial aid to their athletes from the proceeds they get from lottery. We can do same for here in Nigeria. What are the Lottery and Gaming commission doing with taxes/fees they get from Baba Ijebu and co? We had National Sports lottery some years back but mismanagement killed that program.

Mr President and NSC should revitalise the Lottery commission. Lottery commission should be disbursing some amount of money to our top athletes (to pay their private coaches and register for top competitions abroad) and different lesser sports federations(Wrestling,Taekwondo,Judo,Rowing,Badminton,etc) every month.

Government can't sponsor sports alone because its too capital intensive. However,companies should also be encouraged to sponsor some sporting events.
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by Eziachi: 12:40am On Aug 07, 2012
Ozonna: Guys abeg let's not blame Pres GEJ for our olympic flop. Its not his fault that we started preparing for olympics few weeks to the tournament. We should blame the elected officials of National olympic commitee and different sports federations who where elected and not appointed by GEJ.

However,for us to do well in future olympics we need massive funding in all the sports events that we feel we have comparative advantage. We need to ressurect and fund school sports.

I know a country like UK give some sort of financial aid to their athletes from the proceeds they get from lottery. We can do same for here in Nigeria. What are the Lottery and Gaming commission doing with taxes/fees they get from Baba Ijebu and co? We had National Sports lottery some years back but mismanagement killed that program.

Mr President and NSC should revitalise the Lottery commission. Lottery commission should be disbursing some amount of money to our top athletes (to pay their private coaches and register for top competitions abroad) and different lesser sports federations(Wrestling,Taekwondo,Judo,Rowing,Badminton,etc) every month.

Government can't sponsor sports alone because its too capital intensive. However,companies should also be encouraged to sponsor some sporting events.
And if they win, who do you think will take all the credit, with someone you even calling it goodluck's olympic?
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by Excuzeme: 12:42am On Aug 07, 2012
When Nigeria(ns) do good things (like at Atlanta 96 when Kanu and co made us proud), we will sing their praises to high heavens...and we did. When the likes of Chidi were 100M world champions, When Mike Okpara (Power Mike), Etim Bassy (Weight lifting), e.t.c did us proud, we sang their praises...and that of the "Sport officials" saddled with the responsibility of developing and producing "talent" in various field. Tony Ikhazoboh of the NFA (RIP) is an example

But when the same Nigerians and their Officials perform woefully and disgrace us, are we not within our right to call a spade a spade? Why then are we now Unpatriotic and Ungrateful in this other instance?

You need to see a Jamaican talk about his country today, after Usain Bolt, Dwain and some of his other colleagues light up the stadium with their stellar performance....You will weep for this country called Nigeria!

Just 3million citizens o! Black like us oo!! Poor like us Oooo!!!
So, what is our excuse for this "downward spiral from grace to grass"?

Not all Jamaicans are sportsmen!
Despite Usain Bolt and all, the country still has its Doctors,Lawyers and Engineers naah?

Yorubas will say "the plantain is rotting, you say it is ripening"!

Let us tell ourselves the home truth, we are becoming the laughing stock of every nation, even smaller nations like Ghana! Imagine!!

Haaba, we no get shame again? Must we be the embarrassment to "the black race", despite all our natural "gifts", mentally and in terms of natural resources!

This "thick skin" to shame no be am, abegi!

Excuzeme joor.
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by Kobojunkie: 1:13am On Aug 07, 2012
Eziachi:
And if they win, who do you think will take all the credit, with someone you even calling it goodluck's olympic?
You dey mind am?
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by Nobody: 1:18am On Aug 07, 2012
Can you imagine that throughout the failures and victories (mostly failures), there weren't any cute guy to graze my screen.

Are they telling us that Nigeria sent all the uglies to the Olympics or that there aren't anymore cuties in Nigeria?

No eye candy to keep me entertained. No toned and muscled azz to keep my attention on the screen.

So sad.
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by Nobody: 1:37am On Aug 07, 2012
cocoduck:

look do not mess with politrickian pikkin oo nigeria only exists on paper not on our minds nor on ground he is not suffering cos im papa don steal so much money from nigga area. thunder fire that instrument e use type that dog poo

And another demeaning mentality of a typical nigerian! Anyone who tells you to stop overhyping the level of poverty of your country to the world is now part of the elite. Mtcheew

Excuzeme: Let us tell ourselves the home truth, we are becoming the laughing stock of every nation, even smaller nations like Ghana! Imagine!!
So whose fault is it? Is it not u guys who always disgrace ur selves on the net and wash ur dirty clothes in the Atlantic ocean. Mtcheew, nor be u dey do yahoo yahoo? Abi nor be u guys dey carry drugs? Abegi, anything that happens to nigeria is what you and I caused! And nobody shld use poverty as an excuse for scams and drugs cos u r nt the only country in africa with High level of poverty. Infact that word is becoming boring. Nigerians should stop being lazy and start self unemployment. Government will not do everything for you.

Eg. Most nigerians have one or more farms in the village(as heritage or joint/family ownership). Why can't you guys use your education to improve farming techniques in your community? (you don't need much capital for that). Naija people will not do that, they will rather accuse government of abandoning agricultural sector, and wait for white collar jobs. Who will the government employ on their farms sef when no one wants to be a farmer?
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by Rossikk(m): 1:40am On Aug 07, 2012
Eziachi:
So you measure the workings of Nigerian now based on your stomach and nice meals that goes into it? Maybe you should look over your prison like wall and check how productive your neighbours are or even the skeleton looking guy that open your gate the last time he had your assumed regular beer consumption.
countries of few thousands of people and insignificant are winning gold left and right, while your self assumed giant of Africa had more delegate to Earth summit in Brasil than the Olympic in London and you don't think that is a reflection of the current state of Nigeria just because you think are doing okay with pepper soup and you have no idea what others are one about as long as you stomach is stuffed up.
The same mindset of your wicked rulers.

So who have YOU helped today, or in the last ten years? And I don't mean your relatives.

I mean, surely you have the wherewithal to pick up one poor kid from the street that's hawking sweets, and offer to pay his school fees. Have you ever done that? Have you ever THOUGHT about doing that? What exactly have YOU done apart from coming here to spread your pessimism and depression? The easiest thing to do is come online and type holier than thou garbage without lifting a finger to help the less fortunate around you. Tell us when YOU'VE actually DONE something. We're not impressed by your posturing.

2 Likes

Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by bigblxd(m): 2:11am On Aug 07, 2012
Rossikk: @poster, but I have one question, what differentiates all those athletes and medallists from you?? Do they have two heads? Is anything wrong with your arms or legs? You see this whole ideas of guys sitting down behind computers and castigating the rest of the country for not going out there and winning gold medals is the very problem we have. When will YOU take personal responsibility??

Gosh! Thoughts like this amazes me. How on earth could you think like this. We can't all be sports people but just like Prof Jerry G. once said, whatever we are doing as a people, Do IT WELL! Afterall these guys are been paid with our money & can't even bring back a bronze medal as return for Nigerians investment in them! What a LOST!
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by CyberG: 2:24am On Aug 07, 2012
Rossikk:

So who have YOU helped today, or in the last ten years? And I don't mean your relatives.

I mean, surely you have the wherewithal to pick up one poor kid from the street that's hawking sweets, and offer to pay his school fees. Have you ever done that? Have you ever THOUGHT about doing that? What exactly have YOU done apart from coming here to spread your pessimism and depression? The easiest thing to do is come online and type holier than thou garbage without lifting a finger to help the less fortunate around you. Tell us when YOU'VE actually DONE something. We're not impressed by your posturing.

@Eziachi, you made a lot of sense in your post, I could not agree more!

@Post, your post exposes the smallness of your thinking and I will show you how. Assuming Eziachi who has to work and take care of his family and personal responsibilities, goes out to take the poor kid, he would have done a noble deed! But in fact, he has encouraged another irresponsible man, useless Nigerian leaders to abdicate their responsibilities since some Eziachi will be there to do it, does this make common sense to you? Assuming he does this and assuming he could do a whole lot more, should he live his immediate responsibilities and start traveling all around Nigeria looking for indigent kids to help? How many places can he go? How many can he find even if he wanted to? This is very useless SYSTEM DESIGN if this is the level of though you can bring to such a problem.

In fact, Nigeria does not need any new research or invention on how to tackle a problem for which you have proposed the most ludicrous solution where individuals will add the irresponsibility of others and their leaders to their own problems. The solution is to establish a system such that no kid can be in the position you described. Is this possible, yes because it works in hundreds of countries already! So, it is stupidity to ask him to pay his school fees, or any such! What he and you and everyone ought to do is to pay your JUST taxes, make donations to charities to do what you asked him to do what you suggested and face your immediate responsibilities and 99% of such problems will ne solved.

The system to which you have paid your taxes will manage those taxes such that school JUST runs, security, social services, infrastructure, etc just runs because it is THEIR JOB to do it. But I understand you might have been shackled in Nigeria all your life and have never seen a system runs so efficiently, you cannot believe Nigeria is so backward and ineffective. If you have not lived outside Nigeria (not just visiting) you can never understand. You better read more about how modern societies that create the computer you are using now created that device that allows you to view my post were created and run so well. Use google too, I guess you know how to find it.
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by CyberG: 2:28am On Aug 07, 2012
bigblxd:

Gosh! Thoughts like this amazes me. How on earth could you think like this. We can't all be sports people but just like Prof Jerry G. once said, whatever we are doing as a people, Do IT WELL! Afterall these guys are been paid with our money & can't even bring back a bronze medal as return for Nigerians investment in them! What a LOST!

You missed the road and are ignorant. You said they are being paid? What investment did Nigeria make or currently making on the olympic athletes? Do you know that almost all the players in the basketball team live, trained or studied in the US? Do you know some of the have pro careers that have no connection with Nigeria? Okay, tell us how much investment Nigerian government has made on these athletes. Respond only with facts/figures!
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by taharqa: 2:44am On Aug 07, 2012
afam4eva:
The OP didn't blame the athletes, rather he's putting the blame on the country in general. We can't deny the fact that just about everything in this country is crumbling and sport seems to be the last casualty. It's unfortunate that people like you will keep peddling the old long lie that everything is ok. I pity this country.

You see this is what I dont understand. How is 'everything in this country..crumbling'? I mean apart from the security situation(which granted has deteriorated, though which is mostly orchestrated by some political interests) and most of you guys shouting this, how is the 'everything' crumbling? Do any of you guys understand what a 'System' entailed? Were we any better than we are now?

I just tried to respond to a poster in another thread who claimed that 'any right thinking person with knowledge and foresight knows that the chances of your country avoiding economic disaster between now and 2015, under GEJ's stewardship, is nil', implying the the economic trend in the last 2 years have been terrible so the trend is expected to worsen until 2015, but the economic data completely refutes this. So where do you people get these your info that is so confidently asserted?

https://www.nairaland.com/1010336/pastor-bakare-attacks-patience-jonathan/17#11710513

1 Like

Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by hrhobi1(m): 3:14am On Aug 07, 2012
IF YOU WATCH BLESSING OKAGBARE WELL ON HER LAST RACE, YOU WILL NOTICE HER WAIST AND PU--SY SIZE DON CHANGE, BE LIKE SHE OVER YANSH D NIGHT BEFORE WITH ONE ABUJA COMMITTEE MEMBER, SHE NO EVEN FIT RUN AGAIN. bleeped UP NAIJA LADY .
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by bigblxd(m): 3:19am On Aug 07, 2012
CyberG:

You missed the road and are ignorant. You said they are being paid? What investment did Nigeria make or currently making on the olympic athletes? Do you know that almost all the players in the basketball team live, trained or studied in the US? Do you know some of the have pro careers that have no connection with Nigeria? Okay, tell us how much investment Nigerian government has made on these athletes. Respond only with facts/figures!

Please I am not cut out for argument. Respectfully, you seems to have answers to all questions! You are a typical reminder of our footballers who would die for there foreign clubsides on the pitch but would dare not strain a nerve because of Nigeria. No matter where u live, who or where u trained; that you're a Nigerian, adorning the revered green and white jersey and opportune to represent this country is enough motivation & investment to go whole hug! We can't celebrate mediocrity nor continue to excuse our failures!

1 Like

Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by taharqa: 3:20am On Aug 07, 2012
On this topic though I completely agree that our disgraceful performance in the Olympics reflects the SYSTEM we have in Nigeria. Our inability at times to organize ourselves and prepare effectively for events was glaring in the Olympics.

And cos I strongly believe in RESPONSIBILITY, those officials whose job it was to superintend a system that would provide effective preparation to our athletes(Various Sport Associations officials, NOC officials, Sports Commission officials including the Minister and ultimately of course, the President) should share some responsibility for our less than impressive performance before the world.

We should however not be content in just 'blaming' people but should focus our attention in the Sports Commission and demand that a better system should be evolved and managed in other to avoid this scenario again
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by dasparrow: 4:34am On Aug 07, 2012
kunyeo: ?
I had lost interest in any competitive sport until the surprising news of the Tigers’s qualification. Suddenly my interest was reawaken. The interest generated by the promising girl, Okagbare followed and now, I am ready for the Olympics. The memories of the 80’s and 90’s when you are glued to the television tracing with your eyes, Nigerian flag and the contestants’ names on the competitors’ table came back.
A week after, all the hope is fast disappearing. The way I see it is , we may come home empty handed without a single medal.Ludicrously,Nigerian officials and competitors still buy the age-long patronizing statement, ‘The Olympic is a about participation’ while the same countries peddling this slogan would start their preparation immediately an Olympic ends. No wonder, a Nigerian weightlifter came 8th,not even coming near the medals, but was celebrated for breaking the African and Commonwealth records! It is becoming clear to me that truly the performance of a nation at the Olympic is a reflection of the nation back home.

So what were you expecting? As a nation we wait until the last minute to prepare for the olympics and then expect to perform better than countries that have been training their athletes for the past 2-4 years? Listen, what I am about to say may not go down very well by some forumites but frankly speaking I don't care. I have a right to air my opinion even if I am going to get verbally abused for it.

The problem with we Nigerians is that we like to live in denial even when reality is staring us right in the face. We like being proud like peacocks even in the face of massive failure but at the same time when we are faced with problems, we hide our heads in the sand like ostriches hoping that the mounting problems will disappear. I am a REALIST and see things for what they are. Over the years, Nigeria has gotten worse, let's not deceive ourselves.

The years I spent growing up in Nigeria, I did not have to worry about getting kidnapped. I could go to church right there in Abuja and not worry about getting blown to pieces. We used to be able to sleep with our doors unlocked and we knew all of our neighbors and the neighbors kept watch over us kids when our parents were not home. The Nigerian football team made us proud in the mid 90s. I recall in the late 90s (while in europe and later america) each time I told people of other nationalities that I was Nigerian, their response was "oh football! Nigeria is good in football."

Fast forward to the year 2012. What are we good at now collectively? What are we known for now globally as a people? Allow me to make a list in no particular order:

1. Religious fascism and insurgency AKA boko haram
2. Bomb blasts
3. Kidnapping
4. Armed robbery
5. .R.ap/e and sexual abuse of toddlers, primary school girls, secondary school girls, university girls, widows and grandmothers
6. Domestic violence
7. Pedophilia
8. .Pro.sti/tution and exporting it liberally to Italy
9. Corruption
10.Bribery
11. Emulating only the trashy aspects of western culture like: using cuss words liberally; most young ladies dressing like tramps; the wearing of long ugly weaves making ladies look like mamiwater in some Nollywood movies; Smoking when we know we don't have the best medical facilities in the world should cancer strike; disrespect for elders and adults by the kids and teenagers.
12. Multiplying like gremlins or chickens yet not having the time, financial resources or patience to raise morally upright children that will tomorrow become productive citizens of our nation and our world at large.
13. Engaging in internet fraud
14. Going to other people's countries and disrespecting their laws
15. Chuvinism/misogyny
16. Tribalism
17. Always trying to tell others how to live their lives, when to marry, when to birth children; never knowing how to mind our own darn business even when our homes are on fire and our lives are not perfect.
18. Immense Greed which has led to the looting of our collective resources by those whom we have elected to lead us
19. The intense love for money and materialsm and the worship of it
20. Being religious and worshipping your pastors/priests/Imams; always listening to the word of God but never truly coming to a true knowledge and understanding of it
21. Drug trafficking (swallowing pellets of cocaine like it is a medicinal tablet meant to get you well)

I don't celebrate mediocrity and though I love my country, I would not hesitate to speak out against all the evil being perpetrated in our society all because I want to come across as patriotic. After all, Nigeria is not the only country whose societal evil I speak out against. When you choose to look away or keep quiet when evil is being perpetuated, then that same evil will manifest itself and you become part of the problem.

If Nigerians (especially our parents' generation) had back in the 60s and 70s scorned and cried out against bribery and corruption, we won't have had to deal with bribery and corruption today in unprecedented levels. As a people we need to sit up. We are scorned and hated everywhere we go yet we have forumites who want to downplay the fact that we have some serious issues as a people that we need to look into. If boko haram succeeds in making Nigeria uninhabitable, I fear for our people because no country will be willing to take us in as refugees considering our track record. We need to stop living in denial and wake up. If we don't want to do it for ourselves, let's do it for our children's generation born and unborn. Enough said.

PS: And I AM doing my part to help Nigerians back home.

2 Likes

Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by igbo2011(m): 4:34am On Aug 07, 2012
Rossikk:

I wasn't blaming the athletes either. I was blaming the poster. You say 'everything is crumbling' but I don't see 'everything crumbling'. I just see people like you claiming everything is crumbling while sat on your fat assses doing nothing to assist the country. Sports being one example. WHY ARE YOU not an Olympic athlete? You sit behind your computer expecting others to go and win medals for you and when they don't you say the country is crumbling. It is YOU that's crumbling. You and all those well fed middle class Nigerians who were raised to believe that sports is for paupers, and the underclass. Well guess what? The underclass lack your nutrition, strength and confidence to take on the world. It is the well fed middle classes, fed on beef, chicken and cornflakes all their lives that should be out there competing for gold on the world stage, and even working in sports administration, training etc, but no, after attending our elite secondary schools, we all abandoned sports (no matter how good we were at it) to become lawyers, doctors, engineers, IT specialists, and then when the dregs of society are left to be our sportsmen and officials, we moan about a ''crumbling country'' when they don't bring home the gold. But it is you that is crumbling, not Nigeria. Go back to your air-conditioned office.

You know I used to be a track and field athlete. I trained very hard to make it to the Olympics but I was nowhere near fast enough to make the Olympics. Track and field athletes are usually born fast. It is in their blood to be athletic. My best times are nowhere near fast enough to even win NCAA college nationals. So I said forget it and stuck to economics and I made a site promoting Nigerian economics. www.nigerianedp.com

I wish I was there in the Olympics but God didn't give the the natural speed. Maybe I can give track a sedcond try because I am still young enough to make a comeback. If I can go under 50 in the 400 hurdles in the next 4 years then I can make Nigeria's team.
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by igbo2011(m): 4:35am On Aug 07, 2012
Rossikk:

I wasn't blaming the athletes either. I was blaming the poster. You say 'everything is crumbling' but I don't see 'everything crumbling'. I just see people like you claiming everything is crumbling while sat on your fat assses doing nothing to assist the country. Sports being one example. WHY ARE YOU not an Olympic athlete? You sit behind your computer expecting others to go and win medals for you and when they don't you say the country is crumbling. It is YOU that's crumbling. You and all those well fed middle class Nigerians who were raised to believe that sports is for paupers, and the underclass. Well guess what? The underclass lack your nutrition, strength and confidence to take on the world. It is the well fed middle classes, fed on beef, chicken and cornflakes all their lives that should be out there competing for gold on the world stage, and even working in sports administration, training etc, but no, after attending our elite secondary schools, we all abandoned sports (no matter how good we were at it) to become lawyers, doctors, engineers, IT specialists, and then when the dregs of society are left to be our sportsmen and officials, we moan about a ''crumbling country'' when they don't bring home the gold. But it is you that is crumbling, not Nigeria. Go back to your air-conditioned office.

You know I used to be a track and field athlete. I trained very hard to make it to the Olympics but I was nowhere near fast enough to make the Olympics. Track and field athletes are usually born fast. It is in their blood to be athletic. My best times are nowhere near fast enough to even win NCAA college nationals. So I said forget it and stuck to economics and I made a site promoting Nigerian economics. www.nigerianedp.com

I wish I was there in the Olympics but God didn't give the the natural speed. Maybe I can give track a second try because I am still young enough to make a comeback. If I can go under 50 in the 400 hurdles in the next 4 years then I can make Nigeria's team.
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by Afam4eva(m): 5:01am On Aug 07, 2012
speedyboi:

These are the kinda problems that constitute this country. They call themselves nigérians bt they should be called problems.
They always generalise issues, and it is always the negative sides. I know there is a saying which says 'always look on the bright side', I wonder if nigerians ever learn.

Now you told us not to talk about rich nigerians and the middle class. But you are busy generalising that nigerians are suffering.

Check ur self out, are you suffering? Cos I'm not suffering, I look around me I see happy faces who look moderately comfortable and they dwell in comfortable apartments. So because a certain percentage of nigerians are in poverty, then I should keep saying nigerians are poor?
You know exactly what pains me? The fact that people like you can do something to improve it but all you do is keep complaining like a miracle will come from somewhere. Nigerians! Daft set of people (not all of them anyways)
As long as you don't have steady powr supply, good roads quality hospitals, good infrastructure then you're suffring. Your person achievments count for nothing if your immediate environment is in a state of decay.

1 Like

Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by Nobody: 5:36am On Aug 07, 2012
Well, we came, we saw and we came back home...what a waste
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by logica(m): 5:57am On Aug 07, 2012
Rossikk:

You must have a large enough pool of talented sportsmen available in order to present your best to the world. You cannot have the strongest, best educated, best fed among us all shunning sports, and then expect the underclass to go and get gold for you at the Olympics. Have you ever spoken to one of these our sports officials or athletes? Most of them can hardly string a coherent sentence together. I mean, who are we fooling here? I know at least TEN guys from secondary school who were so good at soccer that had they carried on, they would have been world beaters. But what happened? They all graduated and went off to university, and are now professionals in law, engineering etc. So who are we fooling here? Until WE, the middle classes take sports seriously, do not expect those who attended Isale Eko grammar school and had no idea where their next meal was coming from, to attend the Olympics and bring home gold. Not gonna happen.
You have a slight point; but you seem to forget the purpose of having sports administrators. What are they paid for? Are they not the ones supposed to go after kids with sporting talent? Are they not the ones also supposed to support and nurture kids from deprived backgrounds?

For instance, look at the case of Kaka whose parents are well-to-do. His coach had to approach his parents to inform them of their son's rare talent. His parents were unaware! Just as in Nigeria, every other kid in Brazil can kick a ball; but it takes a coach to recognize the rare talent to further groom, and it takes a working sports administration to provide the funds to take these rare talent to the next level. He (Kaka) would of course had gone on to become a well paid doctor or lawyer without his coach convincing his parents otherwise.
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by dvee2: 6:30am On Aug 07, 2012
We are all getting it wrong.there is no country in the world that set out to win medals solely by prepearing for olympics. What they have is a comprehensive sports programme that exposes athlete continually. From locals trials to state trials and national trials all this back by sponsors. If you have world class facilities,these national trials will naturally produce athletes who are scouted,selected and fourther sponsored.thats where we are not getting it right.we tend to pick self made champions and assemble them in a rush to represent.there has to be a comprehensive grassroot programme tied to our educational institutions and sponsorship.
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by dapo338(m): 6:50am On Aug 07, 2012
double j1: I want to ask you people a question. After all this usefull suggestions made by us, have you cared to analyze all of them or take into consideration the view of your fellow brother? Or you are feeling that anyone who has a view contrary to yours is a fool? If yes then you are the problem of the country. You say we are running democracy, what is democracy without people who can't come out to say something in one voice. I would keep saying this, the day we citizens of Nigeria can say yes in one voice, that will be the end of our problem.

A country of about 400+ Languages, hw can u expect YES in one voice..
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by Nobody: 7:58am On Aug 07, 2012
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by Abxclusive(m): 8:28am On Aug 07, 2012
A̶̲̥̅♏ so sorry †̥ say this, but this country †̥ •̸Ϟε̲̣̣̣̥ I̶̲̥̅̊§ Cursed! Iτ̅ saddens my heart when i see things ℓi̶̲̥̅ke̶̲̥̅ this happening! Kenya, southAfrica, Ħª√ę all won Gold Medals but where I̶̲̥̅̊§ Nigeria?
Re: Our Olympic Performance, A Reflection Of The Nigerian Nation by oluwacjay: 8:45am On Aug 07, 2012
Rossikk: @poster, but I have one question, what differentiates all those athletes and medallists from you?? Do they have two heads? Is anything wrong with your arms or legs? You see this whole ideas of guys sitting down behind computers and castigating the rest of the country for not going out there and winning gold medals is the very problem we have. When will YOU take personal responsibility??

Dis is a foolish statement dat deserves no comment.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

For Southerners Only / See Rage, As Nnamdi Kanu Says No To Secret Trial(pics). / Buhari Would Rather Lose Than Rig 2019 Elections -femi Adesina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.