Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,969 members, 7,952,904 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:09 AM

Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (43060 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Nigeria Versus Nigerians In Diaspora! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by AjanleKoko: 11:19pm On Aug 11, 2012
justwise:

A country rule by bunch of crooks who cares about only themselves.

To be honest, you are very correct. People in power in Nigeria only think about themselves. But I don't think the people who are not in power care much about the nation either. Whatever they do is for themselves.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by debosky(m): 12:27am On Aug 12, 2012
Is it still really rosy out there?

Depends on yourindividual circumstances. It is even more rosy for some while others have suffered a worsening of their situation.

To conclude whether things are generally more rosy or less rosy is difficult to do - what we do know us that changing economic circumstances have worsened the employment environment in many Western countries with large Nigerian diaspora populations.

As for me things are booming in my Tura factory in Onitsha - the popularity of guys like Van Vickers and Frank Artus has expanded my bleaching market to include many men now. cool

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by coogar: 12:30am On Aug 12, 2012
debosky: Is it still really rosy out there?

Depends on yourindividual circumstances. It is even more rosy for some while others have suffered a worsening of their situation.

To conclude whether things are generally more rosy or less rosy is difficult to do - what we do know us that changing economic circumstances have worsened the employment environment in many Western countries with large Nigerian diaspora populations.

As for me things are booming in my Tura factory in Onitsha - the popularity of guys like Van Vickers and Frank Artus has expanded my bleaching market to include many men now. cool

tura or dudu osun?
debosky, must you lie on these pages?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by debosky(m): 12:42am On Aug 12, 2012
Your face needs some toning coogar - may I recommend our latest male toning cream for your use?

I now offer an export service to Nigerians in the diaspora. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by coogar: 12:45am On Aug 12, 2012
debosky: Your face needs some toning coogar - may I recommend our latest male toning cream for your use?

I now offer an export service to Nigerians in the diaspora. grin

what is the name of your product and is it quality-assured? i don't want a bar soap that would gimme vitiligo abeg!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by debosky(m): 12:52am On Aug 12, 2012
All our products are NAFDAC approved, and we have ISO 9001 certification. cool

It'll make your skin very rosy. grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by coogar: 1:03am On Aug 12, 2012
debosky: All our products are NAFDAC approved, and we have ISO 9001 certification. cool

It'll make your skin very rosy. grin

send 120 of them asap!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by AjanleKoko: 2:01pm On Aug 12, 2012
coogar:

send 120 of them asap!

Planning to drink them? grin
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by coogar: 4:25pm On Aug 12, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Planning to drink them? grin

planning to rid you of your genital warts, you plonker!
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by brightlarry83: 5:22pm On Dec 03, 2012
afam4eva:
The truth is that hardwork and talent pays in that part of the world than in Nigeria.
did u guys have any information about europe?
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by omoharry(f): 2:58pm On Jan 16, 2013
Thank you for telling them the truth.

you always spew rubbish like a ph00l man....so its only naija that has infrastructural challenges??smh at the person that had the misfortune of birthing you...

98% of nigerians based abroad esp u.k are ashamed to return home.the shame of coming back empty handed and seeing your mates that you left back in nigeria doing exceptionally well is dehumanizing.

life abroad is hard....very hard..its a pity that most nigerians especially those in rural areas think that once you touchdown at jfk or heath-row you start picking money...most nigerians abroad are doing silly jobs that they would never have done if they were here...its crazy..so many of them work in serious enslaving conditions plus the huge tax and bills one pays abroad...naija is a good country if one has a means of livelihood...anybody that earns 150k and above a month in this country is comfortable..we are happy here..abroad is over hyped jor...dudes there are seeing serious things...desh doesn't envy them one bit.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by aribisala0(m): 3:05pm On Jan 16, 2013
Hmm. E be like somebody no do him job last nite
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by omoharry(f): 3:27pm On Jan 16, 2013
Nice one. Its thr truth. This people driving Danfo buses make a lot of money daily than the people working in offices. Our problem is pride and the people you might end up intereracting with in your daily activites.
deshclones:

grin grin grin grin dude get real....under falomo bridge?? law school bus-stop?? by 7pm...dude..that road is always busy by the time you listed man....you obviously don't know how to lie...get your facts right..moreover there is a police patrol and lastma team stationed there permanently..i feel like b1tch slapping you now...

you are just too dumb....re-read ma post very well...or you have comprehension problems too??
moreover so many of the peeps there already have a job...they are just looking for a better job..i know like 7 guys that left their jobs in banks for oil jobs..nigerian youths are just insatiable..or you think having a job is all about white collar jobs?? lastma,lamata, etc are all jobs....its just proud and lazy people that complain about unemployment in nigeria...they are so many things to do to generate money in this country...i know a classmate of mine that makes 10-15k daily..he has a bus he drives himself..running from ajah to obalende daily.....inspired and spyder are living examples of dudes making serious money using NL..use your brain and you will enjoy naija...

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by GreatLight200(m): 3:28pm On Jun 02, 2013
If you believe that you will make it definitely you will. Abroad teaches someone how to manage yourself not excessive living. Make sure you have valid documents,with God on your side you will have something to show.Modesty is the watchword.London.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by crisycent: 1:34pm On Jun 03, 2013
If u have a brother or sister in the UK that didn't attend their university here, my broda na suffer d person dey o. The person is either a cleaner, a security guard or a toilet guy at clubs popularly called KPEKE. it's hard here o, unless the person is involved in some illegal runs.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by akpan123(m): 2:55pm On Jan 05, 2014
l have read some of the comments, and l believe getting the right info is the key .
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Ugosample(m): 12:47pm On Jun 03, 2018
Now that the Buhari administration has sank Nigeria further down the abyss, I wonder what many on this thread will have to say about it
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Sakasitay(m): 3:51pm On Jul 02, 2018
Ugosample:
Now that the Buhari administration has sank Nigeria further down the abyss, I wonder what many on this thread will have to say about it

Lol at one of the comments from 2012, where one member said that anyone who earns 150,000 naira a month, would live comfortably in Nigeria.
The commenter didn't factor in economic uncertainties, and the fact that we were not a promising economy at that time.

I'd gladly leave my job and travel abroad to earn $1500 a month. It is better at this moment.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by femmoy(m): 8:04am On Aug 16, 2018
Dawdy:
It is not easy! It is not easy! Yet u people remain there, obviously It is easier there than In nigeria.

I tire for them ooo, they will never give u accurate information just for selfish reasons, it's not easy they keep shouting but fail to return home. I've visited 3 countries before spending an average of 2weeks in each but I can say they have all the basic facilities we don't have (just mention),don't really know much about the work and pay but living is more comfortable there than here.
argue with ur phone or keyboard

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Ndipe(m): 1:35am On Nov 21, 2018
It's getting better now in the US. The economy was very harsh in 2008/09

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Nobody: 4:15pm On May 02, 2019
All depends how and where did you travel. If you have a family or a loving wife in US providing you the house, car, food, clothes and a good advice, legal documents, etc., you have a very good start, get a job and go from there living very comfortable life. If you come and stay any place, housing is very expensive, no car, no good job, not easy at all.
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Hadampson(m): 8:24pm On May 02, 2019
omoharry:
Thank you for telling them the truth.

you always spew rubbish like a ph00l man....so
98% of nigerians based abroad esp u.k are ashamed to return home.the shame of coming back empty handed and seeing your mates that you left back in nigeria doing exceptionally well is dehumanizing.

life abroad is hard....very hard

And life in Nigeria is very EASY, very EASY abi

most nigerians abroad are doing silly jobs that they would never have done if they were here..

That menial job dey build houses for Nigeria. Can a someone who flip burger in Nigeria build a house with the meagre pay monthly ?

so many of them work in serious enslaving conditions plus the huge tax and bills one pays abroad

Have you lived in a first world country before undecided

naija is a good country if one has a means of livelihood...

A country that has zero security, a country where abnormalities are normal, a country where lives are taken for granted, a country where you worship polithiefcians like they are God, a country where education is a scam, a country where there is no future for the graduates, a country where you can be kidnapped, killed, or used for rituals without the government compensating the family of the person that died, a country where you can be raped and to get justice, OMG don't even let me start talking on that. The list is endless

anybody that earns 150k and above a month in this country is comfortable

Not when you are living in Lagos, with the high cost of living.

we are happy here..abroad is over hyped jor...dudes there are seeing serious things...desh doesn't envy them one bit.

We want you to be happy.... Abroad is not in any way over hyped.

its a pity that most nigerians especially those in rural areas think that once you touchdown at jfk or heath-row you start picking money....its crazy..

That's not good at all... It was Hollywood that changed their mentality. More reason why most people think USA is the only country in the world

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by IbeOkehie: 11:00am On Sep 10, 2023
It's 2023, over a decade later. grin So let me ask, is it still rosy in Nigeria?

Good Luck to Nigerians!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Wodu89: 4:51pm On Sep 10, 2023
dasparrow:

No place in this world is 'rosy' anymore especially since the global economic recession begun. You should know this since nothing goes on in any part of the world nowadays that does not get reported by news agencies and posted on the internet. Thanks to technology, news now travels at lightening speed and if you have access to the internet, news articles are out there for you to access.

Many diaspora Nigerians may not tell you the truth about life abroad because they want to foam big boy/big girl each time they land Nigeria. You know many of our people are too proud for their own good sometimes. The truth is, times are hard now. I recall back in the day when I will open the newspaper here in america and job vacancies were on several pages. You could start your job hunt like monday and by friday you already landed a job. The wages being offered by potential employers were competitive and there was job stability.

But then came 9-11 and the american economy began to take a nose dive. America went to war with Iraq and misled the world into believing Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. American companies became greedy and realized that they could make more money if they have their products manufactured in china and other Asian countries rather than in their home country of USA. So american jobs were shipped abroad en masse. Other employers began to lay off people in unprecedented measures while others slashed wages.

Many small businesses atleast in my city on the west coast began to fold up and the locals (citizens)over the years have become bitter and hostile towards each other and towards foreigners living in their country. The other day a friend of mine from New York called because she is looking to go back to work after taking a year off to have her baby. She lamented that the wages alot of employers are now offering is too little and I told her yes, that is the way it is now. You see many people here in america are now working 2 or more jobs just to make ends meet and I read online that more american college/University graduates postpone starting a family because they are buried in student loan debts. See the link to that world street journal news article here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304818404577350030559887086.html

Anyways, to cut a long story short, we abroad cope by God's Grace. Those in the medical field are still making a decent wage because their profession is in demand. However, with a competitive salary also comes alot of taxes to pay. Often times, you make the money but you don't see it. Uncle sam (nickname for the internal revenue service) still takes a huge chunk.

I still think that at the end of the day, with hard work and sheer determination and God on your side, you may still make it in life faster in Nigeria if you understand the system and how things work back home. However if mortgage debt, credit card debt, possible car loan debt, living paycheck to paycheck, enduring condescending and rascist remarks from westerners, working your fingers to the bone year round with only 2 weeks vacation for the whole year and not being able to take time off from work easily when the need arises is for you, then you are most welcome to join us here.

Nice one
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by Wodu89: 4:52pm On Sep 10, 2023
IbeOkehie:
It's 2023, over a decade later. grin So let me ask, is it still rosy in Nigeria?

Good Luck to Nigerians!

Boss, abeg o
Re: Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? by IbeOkehie: 2:26pm On Jul 04
coogar:

they are all acquired via high interest mortgages, cars on hire-purchase and what-nots. nigerians spend 60% of their income on "looking good".
it's the only country in the world where the phone one carries is immediately used to determine one's status. many people drive those cars and stay in those bungalows and wallow in debt.....it's what they call "packaging"!

https://businessday.ng/columnist/article/time-to-end-the-nigeria-is-rich-myth/

by Remi Adekoya
May 16, 2019

Another factor fuelling this “there is money in Nigeria” belief is that many people pretend to have more of it than they actually do. My friend who runs a crèche in one of the most expensive neighbourhoods in Lagos says she has lost count of the number of parents who drive the most expensive Range Rovers yet struggle to pay their children’s nursery fees on time. Of course, aspirational Nigerians don’t live above their means just because, they do so in response to societal pressure for them to prove they are “somebodies”; worth talking business to, hanging out with and treating respectfully. Raise your hand if you have ever pretended to have more money than you really do so as to be treated respectfully somewhere in Nigeria (my hand is raised high).

Good Luck to Nigerians

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

Photos Of 'Imo Air' Acquired By Okorocha / How A Bike-Rider And A Passenger Transported Another Bike (Photo, Video) / Isaac Odigbo In Finland Offers His Marriott’s Malaga Suite For Free In December

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.