Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,907 members, 7,814,068 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:20 AM

Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? (2285 Views)

The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria / Tichitt-Walata...Oldest West African Civilization/settlement / Badagry- The Cradle Of Civilization. How Civilized Is This Town? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? by odumchi: 6:25am On Aug 07, 2012
One thing that has always boggled my mind is why some people embrace everything Western and disregard anything indigenous? I have noticed that there are people in this world who prefer anything Western because it is "civilized" and detest anything "indigenous" because it is "primitive".

I am among those who partake in the school of thought that Africans have always been as (or are even more) complex, capable, and brilliant as Europeans in every field of human development. Therefore, I find it strange when I come across people who refuse to associate themselves with anything indigenous because (according to them) it is "barbaric", "crude", or "primitive". Throughout my studies abroad, I have met people who have preached that, in Africa, civilization stops at the banks of the Nile. I have read textbooks that have depicted Africans as uncivilized, forest-dwelling, mud-hut living, nose-picking, backward, brutes, and I am definately sure that resources such as those are actually contributing negatively to human development. This reminds me of an encounter that I had with my history teacher a year ago because the textbook that we were using claimed that there were no civilizations in West Africa (other than Ghana, Mali, and Songhay); long story short, I forced him to write a letter to the publisher, notifying them of the mistake.

Personally, I feel that things like this are caused by ignorance on the part of the Westerners. However, it does us [Africans] no good when, instead of taking pride in ourselves, we play along and encourage the belief that Africa was unfamiliar with civilization prior to the advent of Europeans. I feel that this mentality is a result of colonialism since our [former] colonial rulers attempted to destroy us psychologically so that they would gain an upper hand. In my head, complex village societies are just as civilized as their counterparts found in Christendom.

I am only one person and I can only speak for myself. So, Nairalanders, I'd like to ask you guys if westernization equates to civilization (and if it does, please explain why).

Thanks in advance.
Re: Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? by tpia5: 2:22pm On Aug 07, 2012
^what exactly is your grouse?

hard to make sense of your post.

on the one hand you say you're angry because some people said you're uncivilized.

then you jumped somewhere else and said some people claimed there were only three civilizations in west africa.

which one you dey, while trying to drum up traffic for seun's site.
Re: Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? by odumchi: 3:59pm On Aug 07, 2012
tpia@:
^what exactly is your grouse?

hard to make sense of your post.

on the one hand you say you're angry because some people said you're uncivilized.

then you jumped somewhere else and said some people claimed there were only three civilizations in west africa.

which one you dey, while trying to drum up traffic for seun's site.

I don't think there was anything super difficult to comprehend in my post. I simply asked if you think that Westernization equates to Civilization.

What do you think?
Re: Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? by Ptolomeus(m): 5:36pm On Aug 07, 2012
Dear friend Odumchi.
In Africa and America, the colonists were careful to save appearances.
The barbaric acts were hidden, as a way to "civilize" the "savages." Thus, the invaders were the "good guys" and the slaves were those who also had to thank ...
Something very sadistic.
That was the speech, and we can even understand that the world has so agreed ... What I find unacceptable is that they end up enslaved themselves believing that lie.
Westernization is civilization?
Western civilization is one of the many civilizations ... To that civilization as a model by other people is really a self-genocide.
Adopt Western ways, by the African people, even more deeply involved in the crisis of African identity. A crisis of identity caused just by the colonizers.
I fully share your thoughts, dear friend ...
Meanwhile, the unfortunate intervention of @ TPIA, shows us that unfortunately there are people who feel "civilized" by the West ... is something pathetic!
What did the West was the exact opposite ... acculturate continents, and impose their traditions of violence and immorality.
My affectionate greeting, dear friend!
Re: Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? by ifyalways(f): 6:21pm On Aug 07, 2012
Why should phrases like "western civilization" exist sef ?
Brb @ Topic.
Re: Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? by ifyalways(f): 6:39pm On Aug 07, 2012
Civilization is and never would be same as westernization.the former covers ecomomic progression, political organisation, morals traditions and culture, pursuit and advancement of knowledge and arts while the latter is just a way of life, culture of the western world.
Civilization=wearing briefs under a jeans
Westernization =sagging a jean to show your briefs.

Its only but a fooolish African that would equate civilization with westernization.
Re: Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 07, 2012
ifyalways: Civilization is and never would be same as westernization.the former covers ecomomic progression, political organisation, morals traditions and culture, pursuit and advancement of knowledge and arts while the latter is just a way of life, culture of the western world.

Its only but a fooolish African that would equate civilization with westernization.

I sincerely hope that you're joking

But then, I am on NL.
Re: Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? by ifyalways(f): 6:59pm On Aug 07, 2012
There is a jokes section on nld, last I checked.
If it does not make sense to you,present valid debates or move over.
Re: Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Aug 07, 2012
lol no need to present a valid debate for an invalid (bordering on ignorant) post.

I mean, c'mon!
Re: Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? by odumchi: 7:12pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ptolomeus: Dear friend Odumchi.
In Africa and America, the colonists were careful to save appearances.
The barbaric acts were hidden, as a way to "civilize" the "savages." Thus, the invaders were the "good guys" and the slaves were those who also had to thank ...
Something very sadistic.
That was the speech, and we can even understand that the world has so agreed ... What I find unacceptable is that they end up enslaved themselves believing that lie.
Westernization is civilization?
Western civilization is one of the many civilizations ... To that civilization as a model by other people is really a self-genocide.
Adopt Western ways, by the African people, even more deeply involved in the crisis of African identity. A crisis of identity caused just by the colonizers.
I fully share your thoughts, dear friend ...
Meanwhile, the unfortunate intervention of @ TPIA, shows us that unfortunately there are people who feel "civilized" by the West ... is something pathetic!
What did the West was the exact opposite ... acculturate continents, and impose their traditions of violence and immorality.
My affectionate greeting, dear friend!

Ptolomeus, thanks for your encouraging response. I am encouraged to see that there are other enlightened people out there.

It's sad that many Africans today continue to believe that they are inferior to Europeans one every aspect. This reminds me of the "The White Man's Burden" and also of your signature.

My prayer is that Africa wakes up before it's too late because mental colonialism is worse than actual colonialism.
Re: Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? by odumchi: 7:15pm On Aug 07, 2012
ifyalways: Civilization is and never would be same as westernization.the former covers ecomomic progression, political organisation, morals traditions and culture, pursuit and advancement of knowledge and arts while the latter is just a way of life, culture of the western world.

Thank you for your honest input, Ify.

Ileke-IdI:

I sincerely hope that you're joking

But then, I am on NL.

I think she was speaking figuratively and not literally.
Re: Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Aug 07, 2012
odumchi:

Thank you for your honest input, Ify.

I think she was speaking figuratively and not literally.

You can try to console her as much as you want, even figuratively speaking, her post was very "invaluable" lol.

But since it's FG speaking, let her explain the literal version of it.
Re: Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? by ifyalways(f): 7:59pm On Aug 07, 2012
Odumchi don't engage the thing. It feels relevant when patronized.
Re: Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Aug 07, 2012
I don't think so!

Westernization = globalization, and the harnessing of all ancient civilizations together and giving them a new face and names (White/European) - and a facelift (modernization = contemporary).

Civilization = An advanced state of intellectual, cultural, and material development in human society, marked by progress in the arts and sciences, the extensive use of record-keeping, including writing, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions.

The so-called; Westernization never built any civilization nor added anything to the existing ones - they just stole them, and re-branded into their own - labelled them, Westernization.. They might want to lay claim to 'Science' as Western civilization - but truth be told - science = philosophy and cosmology, and ancient civilizations also provided the foundation for that, and it can't be argued that they were also more advanced... The religions they also lay claim to, are folklore of ancient civilizations...

Everything Westernization lay claim to, is a branch off ancient civilizations. cool
Re: Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? by Ptolomeus(m): 4:47pm On Aug 08, 2012
odumchi:

It's sad that many Africans today continue to believe that they are inferior to Europeans one every aspect. This reminds me of the "The White Man's Burden" and also of your signature.

My prayer is that Africa wakes up before it's too late because mental colonialism is worse than actual colonialism.
Dear Brother:
Each of his words have great depth.
I'm sure one day not so distant, all (or most) of Africans will realize that.
I think this kind of threads are important ... not to ridicule other ideas, but to open minds ... reason ... to think.
I have always said that Africa will awaken one day ... and do it in the hands of their children!
I greatly respect you!
Re: Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? by odumchi: 4:51am On Aug 09, 2012
shymmex: I don't think so!

Westernization = globalization, and the harnessing of all ancient civilizations together and giving them a new face and names (White/European) - and a facelift (modernization = contemporary).

Civilization = An advanced state of intellectual, cultural, and material development in human society, marked by progress in the arts and sciences, the extensive use of record-keeping, including writing, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions.

The so-called; Westernization never built any civilization nor added anything to the existing ones - they just stole them, and re-branded into their own - labelled them, Westernization.. They might want to lay claim to 'Science' as Western civilization - but truth be told - science = philosophy and cosmology, and ancient civilizations also provided the foundation for that, and it can't be argued that they were also more advanced... The religions they also lay claim to, are folklore of ancient civilizations...

Everything Westernization lay claim to, is a branch off ancient civilizations. cool

I agree with you for the most part. It's really disheartening when people peddle the lie that we [Africans] were savages prior to the coming of the Europeans (who brought us "advancement" and Christianity).

(1) (Reply)

Dear Nigerians.... / Ifa, The Enchanted Verses / The Benin-owan, (edo State ) People Of Igede Clan( Ora Clan In Benue State)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.