Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,568 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions (12353 Views)

Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle / Kwakwanso’s Insult On Yoruba Elders Will Not Go Unanswered: femi Fani-kayode / Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by omosexy1: 9:39am On Aug 08, 2012
gboss4sure:

Forget that illegal stuff, the owner of those lands why didn't they chaste them out before now. The issue at hand is that thousands if not millions of people are now living on that land. Ok were do you expect them to go and live now? Maybe you should give them land in your village. Am not against the demolition what am against is not providing an alternative accommodation for them. For christ sake you can't chaste those people out just like that.

Concerning the streets you mentioned, re read my earlier post, I said major roads inclusive of major streets or do you want me to get you a picture of the streets that are messy before you understand what am saying here.

Relocate them my foot. With which resources. After relocating them, they will be asking the Governor for food and allowance. Please they should go back to their village if they cannot integrate peacefully
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by ANYPEN(m): 9:40am On Aug 08, 2012
@ OP & his supporters.

Your arguments are so baseless that am begining to doubt if you were ever in a school but then, I realized a man sinking in the mud can hold on to a strand of dry grass to survive.

the biggest problem nigeria has now is Nigerians. Our senses of right or wrong have been greatly tampered with. Now, we have someone that's taking the pain to correct it by putting down laws & making sure we abide & you're sitting down there typing out your stupidity & ignorance.

"if a wife is dying" can you imagine? If everyone should use that road if their wives are dying then you'll have exuses of dying wives each day & the road will never serve its purpose..... Do you even know what a law is, BLOCK-HEAD?

the fact is that BRF is a model that every other governors including Mimiko is looking up to match so go & get your brain wherever you kept it & come back to apologize!!!
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by scribble: 9:49am On Aug 08, 2012
these makoko people should go to Akure na.

they were constituting a biological, social and other various hazards in that place before.

The pain of development is real. If a lot of these people go back to their villages and farm, Nigeria will be a richer country.

Every Segun, Ifeanyi and Akpan wants to come to LAgos and strike gold.

Let those of us who have been here for at least close to a century and made better progress continue
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by xcuggsm(m): 9:56am On Aug 08, 2012
Very interesting and insightful thread BUT this is only season 1 of the Makoko demolition story.

Season 2 will throw up the actual reason for the Makoko demolition!
KEEP WATCHING!

1 Like

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by DVanguard: 10:11am On Aug 08, 2012
@Sun of god; reading your article makes me weep for the kind of mindset we have in this country. Standing up for illegality with confidence, where ignorance is now an excuse for disobeying the law. Army colonel who is the person who is suppose to defend the law is breaking the law? Cos he looked remorsed he should be free. Haba bro's you fall my hand. Guess u support lawlessness cos of a reason. Illegal occupants of land and people who have built on the flow part of water should not be dispersed cos he is inhuman. Bro's am sure u would never like to live in that slum. I don't want to believe u live in Lagos cos i don't think lagosians would like to live in an inhabitable environment. Come over to Abuja and see places that are demolished cos inhabitable conditions and illegal acquisitions of land.
Reading your article tells u are just a Fashola hater, cos u mention some stuff that cos of him, most states and FG are already on that part like Tax, lastma and toll gate. ( even the FG stated on the 5th of Aug dat tolls will come back). Pls try visiting different cities to see how funds are generated and use of tolls to create wealth. In Abuja u pay to park on Govt road. Pls be objective and not sentimental.
Fashola has his wrongs but not from the one's you highlighted. Yes I agree with on to an extent on the LASU fees
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 08, 2012
tatosh: Did sum1 realy take time to write this piece? Damn!!! I feel sorry for you and the backwardness upon you oh poster. I have a lot to say to u but I just realised you might actually be a resident of Makoko and you're in pains.PELE!!
Next time you're looking for a house make sure you live in a government approved building like what normal people do. If you can't afford it please leave Lagos you silly goat!
Selfish soul,u are calling ur fellow man goat,Omo baba olowo with the rate of poverty ravaging the country as a whole or Lagos in particular do u think is everybody that can afford govt residential area that u mention,I suspect ur pupsy is looting with the govt of the day that why u are so selfish ‎​And blind to‎​ the anguish of ur fellow human beings(makoko people)...but remember u have succeded in sending them to‎​ learn a trade under the bridge(robbery,assasin,rapists..etc) ‎​And afte graduating from where u have sent them to‎​ they will come back as thief or assasins to‎​ hunt ur family ‎​And then u will start cryin over avoidable security issue...what an insesitive Govt
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by rapmike(m): 10:34am On Aug 08, 2012
Sun of god: If anyone does not like what I have to say here, they are quite at liberty to hang themselves. Mr Babatunde Fashola—and I once had occasion to defend him (see “Lagos: The writing on the wall” )—has once again demonstrated one of those traits of wickedness for which I have consistently maintained that he is an anti-people governor, no matter what brainwashed members of the public or Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) apologists say. Mr Fashola demolished Makoko without providing any alternative accommodation for the displaced residents.

A statement was even credited to him to the effect that the displaced people are not Lagos indigenes. But they were indigenes during elections. My advice for him this morning will be lifted from the mouth of a fellow governor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko: “We have been able to and prove that government can engage the market women in a very useful way to stop guerrilla or street trading. You don’t just bulldoze shacks and send people into deeper poverty.” (see Return of Greatness published by Gaskia Media Ltd). Whenever I look at the so-called model government in Lagos (a government which puts people in Black Maria for hawking, and has uniformed touts in the name of KAI), I find very fuzzy ideological content, a zero tolerance for dissent, and a gruelling emphasis on morbid capitalism. Sincerely, Lagos crumbles when you apply the Awo parameters.

Dr Mimiko brought development to the doorsteps of market women; he built world standard neighbourhood markets right on the same spot where shacks, dirt and mud had reigned, and the market women are paying only N50 per week—and even that is for the maintenance of the market. On the other hand, the Lagos State government simply bulldozes markets (remember the traders in Osodi) and sends people into deeper poverty. Mr Fashola should visit Ondo State and learn how to be people-centred, beyond decorating Onipanu while Bajulaye rots in utter neglect.

Not that the ACN governors are not doing some positive things. For instance, Senator Abiola Ajimobi is currently engaged in road work, and recently finished work on Queen Elizabeth road following a media publication. The governor has also been facing fire from criminals just because he sacked certificate forgers from the civil service, people who should have been prosecuted and jailed for their crime. In his handling of matters following the last flooding incident in Ibadan, Ajimobi demonstrated a clear understanding of the dynamics of poverty and urbanisation, and chose to engage residents of flood-prone areas in meaningful dialogue and moral suasion, while also taking necessary action. Indeed, but for his positive efforts, the latest flooding incident in the city would have been disastrous. In the area of security, Ajimobi has showed some class as well. And in Ekiti, Dr Fayemi has mapped out a unique plan for tourism development in the state, demonstrating considerable knowledge of the intricacies of tourism in his handling of the Ikogosi project.

Now, to return to the Makoko residents. If Mr Fashola is truly a progressive, he would, while protecting the people against themselves, have provided an alternative accommodation for them.The people had to take their protest to the state House of Assembly, and the pictures of the pathetic situation were published in the papers. Evidently, Mr Fashola couldn’t care less, because he is not in their shoes. Unfortunately, he was elected to assist these people. He was elected to make life meaningful for them. He was not elected to prove that he is right all the time.

The people had schools in Makoko. Just where would their children go to school now? The scene I watched on Aljazeera was indeed a very shameful one. A working governor, particularly one on whose behalf the South-West media seems to exist, should have taken the people’s plight as his own personal responsibility.

It is a lame and illiterate excuse to say that they are not Lagos people. What Fashola did amounts to pure wickedness, but then this is hardly surprising given his lunatic toll gates, his insistence that he could not afford to make the Lagos State University (LASU) a school for the poor while carrying out a morbid increment in school fees, the discredited Lagos local government polls, the excesses of LASTMA and so on. Perhaps the true test of Fashola’s statesmanship is his handling of the Army officers he recently “arrested” on his BRT lane, an event which his media aide glorified while displaying utter tactlessness (‘’Realising that the game was up...” Which game, media aide?). While the Army colonel kept apologising for his misdeed, the governor kept playing to the gallery, asking pointless questions. Did the governor. a lawyer, consider that the man may have faced an exigency having to do with national security? Had the man committed such an offence in the past? If your wife was dying and there was a traffic gridlock, would you rather maintain your so-called law or take the BRT lane and save her life? There are always extenuating circumstances in life, and a man of wisdom will discern the times.

Despite the man’s humility and apology, Mr Fashola promised to report him to the higher authorities. And yet these people pray for the forgiveness of their sins. The man may have been dismissed now, I don’t know, but I definitely have some sympathy for him, and that has nothing to do with his being a senior army officer. By his conduct, that army colonel definitely proved that he was not a lawless scoundrel. I suspect that he had a compelling reason to use the BRT lane on that day. I know that a lot of people will never take sides with soldiers because of the evil things they did in this country, but we should never get to the point that we think that they are useless. Even in the law courts, a proven thief who shows some remorse is granted some consideration. Mr Femi Gbajabiamila, the House of Reps member currently under fire from his detractors, was said to have shown remorse and cooperated fully with the Georgia authorities after messing up with a client’s money. For that, he was given some consideration. I see nothing wrong with that. I would rather have a man who shows remorse for his misdeeds than a self-righteous beast who will not be appeased. Handlers of the Lagos governor may wish to learn not to play politics with everything.

Beyond this however lie questions of state finance and the future. Is it true that the state’s treasury is being bled dry on a monthly basis in the guise of tax consultancy? Is it true that nearly all of Lagos State is now the property of one man? That would not be progressive, would it? Where do you find such a precedent? What kind of progressivism is that?

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/opinion/45412-lagos-the-unanswered-questions
the way people analyse events canbe funny at times..the person that wrote this piece must be a PDP person, am not going to defend Fashola actions, but calling him a devil is totally out of it.this is the same Fashola that changed Oshodi, once a rat hole to a bearable place to stay and trade, i will ask the poster one thing, has he been to Oshodi recently? the place has being transformed. all the dirt is gone and its having a new look. granted, traders did suffer for it, but then, in any war, there are meant to be casualties. fashola has improved other places in lagos and if he did nothing in Makoko, the people will say he is biased.granted there are somethings that he did that was harsh, but at times u have to take a strong stance, the person talked about his law on hawking, did the person forget how hawkers themselves dirtied the street of lagos with the food and all that and how once in a while some hawkers get killed because they did not obey traffic rules? the guy talked about the colonel, if fashola left him, other nigerians will take cue and do the same thing.Fashola may be self righteous, but most Nigerians are.SO DESPITE HIS FAULTS[b]DON'T PAINT A PICTURE OF THE DEVIL FOR FASHOLA [/b]
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by AjanleKoko: 10:51am On Aug 08, 2012
I think what Fashola is doing, is necessary. But he has to do it with a human face.
Those people who are displaced are Nigerians. They also need to be supported in some way. Even if it means some compensation is paid to them, for their trouble. But in truth, I doubt it will be possible to relocate them to anywhere else in Lagos in the short term. Those were illegal structures, which were built by some early settlers to that area who had taken on the role of landlords.
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by tatosh: 10:51am On Aug 08, 2012
flymyq:
Selfish soul,u are calling ur fellow man goat,Omo baba olowo with the rate of poverty ravaging the country as a whole or Lagos in particular do u think is everybody that can afford govt residential area that u mention,I suspect ur pupsy is looting with the govt of the day that why u are so selfish ‎​And blind to‎​ the anguish of ur fellow human beings(makoko people)...but remember u have succeded in sending them to‎​ learn a trade under the bridge(robbery,assasin,rapists..etc) ‎​And afte graduating from where u have sent them to‎​ they will come back as thief or assasins to‎​ hunt ur family ‎​And then u will start cryin over avoidable security issue...what an insesitive Govt

I'm sorry to say but you have spoken like an illetrate.Don't you know the difference between government reserved area & government approved building? A government approved is a builing with legal ownership while a G.r.a is a low density area for the high income earners.
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by deshclones(m): 11:08am On Aug 08, 2012
blancason:

This guy (deshclones)lack basic common sense...has no ability to reason well. WTF, naija really deserves to be where it is with these kind of people with gutter mentality, lacking appreciation for order and decency.May GOD help us ooooo

i care less on what you think and your silly opinion...........i have made ma point..there should be an atom of concession to some group of people...like ambulance,military and police...esp those on special assignment...you are a dolt man,...whatever silly views of yours do not mean shit to me..get that into your thick ,heavy and empty head.
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Zhul001(m): 11:35am On Aug 08, 2012
guy you be pako,(2)you are a PDP member,and i think you are just hearing the name makoko, may be you need to watch BBC documentary on makoko......even pigs in denmark dont live in such filthy area.......and i think you are lost in ur politicallysentimental articulation.if not you wont be condeming fashola, after taking a diciplinary toll on a proven offence........guy you are not worth been a leader at all,so because that fool is a military man that is why he should be breaking rules and regulation.....Raji Fashola as proven to be worthy leader so you not start indirect campaign here in the name of supporting the masses....f All Hail babatunde fashola
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by klax(m): 11:55am On Aug 08, 2012
To be honest I sincerely share the view of this thread poster because I wonder who in a real sense Fashola is building Lagos for? Is he building it for GHOST or LIVING BEIGN?

Demolish this, break this, destroy that and all these are some people that voted for him livelihood, how can you destroy or bulldoze houses or market with no better option for the ones that are affected and if by chance a new structure for the mega ity nonsense is built they will say pay 1million Naira and above to lease it plz is it a tomatoes seller or bread seller that will pay 1million for a space??

I gues every good government should be at the interest of the poor massess because they are the one that voted them in but in this mega city nonsense of a thing I began to see strange things happening as if when that mega city nonsense finish its a ghost that will live in the city this is just the big question.
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by lastpage: 12:07pm On Aug 08, 2012
First, some people should not comment on this thread.
being "known party-apologist", their comments are too tainted to be accorded the respect it could have deserved.
To such people, its always ACN vs. PDP.......and that is how they see every issue, irrespective of the truth.

Having said that, there are tow sides to a coin:
Government is elected to "serve" the people AND to "preserve law and order".

These are the two yardsticks we should use, to judge every govt action.

To "serve the people" means to protect their interest at ALL TIMES.
To "preserve law and order" means you must also protect the same people you serve against themselves and a few deviants amongst them!

"bringing down" a SLUM like Makoko surely falls within the purview of protecting the people (Their health, Safety, shanty accommodation).

Where Fashola may not have fared properly is "serving and protecting the interest of the people".
You see, "the LAW" must always have a human face otherwise, "dictatorship and brutality" sets in.

Fro example, Idiagbon "served Nigerians" very well. We still wish somebody like our current President will have a hundreth of his gut! But when he and Buhari "back-dated" death penalty laws (so he can kill some drug pushers), his regime lost human face!

This is the context l want us to judge Fashola and every other Nigerian leader because there are ways you can still achieve your responsibility while still remaining "human and protective" of the people you swore to serve.

No need to "play and talk" Politics with this sort of thing.
Lessons should be learned and put to use. Period.

Treat "people" like humans, not trash, even if they are offenders.
Remember that they have life and blood, just like you. The only difference is you are in power!

With our resources, nothing stops every government Minister and Governor from delivering 20,000 Units of 2-bed housing for the poor, every blessed year, and renting it out at #60,000/annum!
Even Ghadafi (a tyrant!) delivered such houses in Libya!
We can afford it, if we stop wasting money in form of "looting, Birthday contribution, Aso Rock food allocation and subsidy scandal", out of so many other "sink-holes".

As for the "Army bloke", l have no sympathy for him at all. If it was an "ordinary LASTMA" that stopped him, do you think he would be "pleading".....or bundling the LASTMA official into his car-boot?
You think that would be his first time or if he provided "reasonable excuse" to Fashola, he would not allow him proceed?
Why make "excuses" for him if he has none other than violating laws with impunity?

1 Like

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Nobody: 12:11pm On Aug 08, 2012
speedyboi:
You guys should just listen to yourself; I'm not referring to only lagos o
the government warned that anyone shouldn't build a structure at a particular place due to various reasons (it might even be that the place is reserved for a future road construction). You disobeyed and built it (the government jst dey talk their own, abi?). After you don disobey, the government still dey warn that it is not safe that you should relocate to a conducive environment orelse your structure might be distroyed in the future, you are still hard headed (no qualms nau).
Now the government don demolish am and you dey complain sey dem nor give you better place. Thunder fire that your mouth!

I swear, if government give them shishi, me sef go start one illegal structure one place so that I go get millions or a new furnished house. Warbish!!!
Nigerians are a set of stubborn people. Until you punish them they won't reason with government when they are warned. That's why advanced countries are better. A country can only develop when the people work hand-in-hand with the government. Tell me what those guys are still doing there after several warnings? If the government should compensate them, they are just legalizing the illegal, meaning many people will repeat the same thing hoping to be compensated.
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by lastpage: 12:13pm On Aug 08, 2012
xcuggs_m: Very interesting and insightful thread BUT this is only season 1 of the Makoko demolition story.

Season 2 will throw up the actual reason for the Makoko demolition!
KEEP WATCHING!
I hope it wont be like "Maroko" (damn, they sound so much alike! shocked ) where the native inhabitants were driven away and their slums demolished, ONLY FOR THE JUICY ENVIRONMENT TO BE ALLOCATED TO MILITARY GENERALS AND POLITICIANS! angry angry

That certainly in NOT in the interest of the people you claim "to serve".

Lastpage!
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by badesco(m): 3:48pm On Aug 08, 2012
Sun of god: If anyone does not like what I have to say here, they are quite at liberty to hang themselves. Mr Babatunde Fashola—and I once had occasion to defend him (see “Lagos: The writing on the wall” )—has once again demonstrated one of those traits of wickedness for which I have consistently maintained that he is an anti-people governor, no matter what brainwashed members of the public or Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) apologists say. Mr Fashola demolished Makoko without providing any alternative accommodation for the displaced residents.

A statement was even credited to him to the effect that the displaced people are not Lagos indigenes. But they were indigenes during elections. My advice for him this morning will be lifted from the mouth of a fellow governor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko: “We have been able to and prove that government can engage the market women in a very useful way to stop guerrilla or street trading. You don’t just bulldoze shacks and send people into deeper poverty.” (see Return of Greatness published by Gaskia Media Ltd). Whenever I look at the so-called model government in Lagos (a government which puts people in Black Maria for hawking, and has uniformed touts in the name of KAI), I find very fuzzy ideological content, a zero tolerance for dissent, and a gruelling emphasis on morbid capitalism. Sincerely, Lagos crumbles when you apply the Awo parameters.

Dr Mimiko brought development to the doorsteps of market women; he built world standard neighbourhood markets right on the same spot where shacks, dirt and mud had reigned, and the market women are paying only N50 per week—and even that is for the maintenance of the market. On the other hand, the Lagos State government simply bulldozes markets (remember the traders in Osodi) and sends people into deeper poverty. Mr Fashola should visit Ondo State and learn how to be people-centred, beyond decorating Onipanu while Bajulaye rots in utter neglect.

Not that the ACN governors are not doing some positive things. For instance, Senator Abiola Ajimobi is currently engaged in road work, and recently finished work on Queen Elizabeth road following a media publication. The governor has also been facing fire from criminals just because he sacked certificate forgers from the civil service, people who should have been prosecuted and jailed for their crime. In his handling of matters following the last flooding incident in Ibadan, Ajimobi demonstrated a clear understanding of the dynamics of poverty and urbanisation, and chose to engage residents of flood-prone areas in meaningful dialogue and moral suasion, while also taking necessary action. Indeed, but for his positive efforts, the latest flooding incident in the city would have been disastrous. In the area of security, Ajimobi has showed some class as well. And in Ekiti, Dr Fayemi has mapped out a unique plan for tourism development in the state, demonstrating considerable knowledge of the intricacies of tourism in his handling of the Ikogosi project.

Now, to return to the Makoko residents. If Mr Fashola is truly a progressive, he would, while protecting the people against themselves, have provided an alternative accommodation for them.The people had to take their protest to the state House of Assembly, and the pictures of the pathetic situation were published in the papers. Evidently, Mr Fashola couldn’t care less, because he is not in their shoes. Unfortunately, he was elected to assist these people. He was elected to make life meaningful for them. He was not elected to prove that he is right all the time.

The people had schools in Makoko. Just where would their children go to school now? The scene I watched on Aljazeera was indeed a very shameful one. A working governor, particularly one on whose behalf the South-West media seems to exist, should have taken the people’s plight as his own personal responsibility.

It is a lame and illiterate excuse to say that they are not Lagos people. What Fashola did amounts to pure wickedness, but then this is hardly surprising given his lunatic toll gates, his insistence that he could not afford to make the Lagos State University (LASU) a school for the poor while carrying out a morbid increment in school fees, the discredited Lagos local government polls, the excesses of LASTMA and so on. Perhaps the true test of Fashola’s statesmanship is his handling of the Army officers he recently “arrested” on his BRT lane, an event which his media aide glorified while displaying utter tactlessness (‘’Realising that the game was up...” Which game, media aide?). While the Army colonel kept apologising for his misdeed, the governor kept playing to the gallery, asking pointless questions. Did the governor. a lawyer, consider that the man may have faced an exigency having to do with national security? Had the man committed such an offence in the past? If your wife was dying and there was a traffic gridlock, would you rather maintain your so-called law or take the BRT lane and save her life? There are always extenuating circumstances in life, and a man of wisdom will discern the times.

Despite the man’s humility and apology, Mr Fashola promised to report him to the higher authorities. And yet these people pray for the forgiveness of their sins. The man may have been dismissed now, I don’t know, but I definitely have some sympathy for him, and that has nothing to do with his being a senior army officer. By his conduct, that army colonel definitely proved that he was not a lawless scoundrel. I suspect that he had a compelling reason to use the BRT lane on that day. I know that a lot of people will never take sides with soldiers because of the evil things they did in this country, but we should never get to the point that we think that they are useless. Even in the law courts, a proven thief who shows some remorse is granted some consideration. Mr Femi Gbajabiamila, the House of Reps member currently under fire from his detractors, was said to have shown remorse and cooperated fully with the Georgia authorities after messing up with a client’s money. For that, he was given some consideration. I see nothing wrong with that. I would rather have a man who shows remorse for his misdeeds than a self-righteous beast who will not be appeased. Handlers of the Lagos governor may wish to learn not to play politics with everything.

Beyond this however lie questions of state finance and the future. Is it true that the state’s treasury is being bled dry on a monthly basis in the guise of tax consultancy? Is it true that nearly all of Lagos State is now the property of one man? That would not be progressive, would it? Where do you find such a precedent? What kind of progressivism is that?

Right from day one, Fashola is an anti masses person, that hates the down trodden. I hope he packs his bag and baggage's and leave Lagos upon expiration of his tenure.

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by homosapien(m): 8:53pm On Aug 08, 2012
from a personal point of view, i thinks gov fasola did the `right. let imagine a situation were there is a rise in the water leveland all those people get drown overnite. wont u accuse the govt of negligence. more there is a high tension cable that cut across that place. suppose in the middle of the nite something happen and those people get killed wat will you say.so my broda those people i believe came from somewhere before settling there, therefore they either look for alternative accommodation or go back to there respective villages
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by PointB: 9:27pm On Aug 08, 2012

Na wa oo
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by loco4love: 9:43pm On Aug 08, 2012
Gov. Fashola should build public housing projects. Towers like you have in North American cities for instance Cabrini Green. Cos you gotta save space there is not much land in Lagos anymore. Towers will maximize space but you have to put elevators and back-up generators to operate them. You dont want people to get trapped in the elevators. Beleive me its not funny. The working class needs manufacturing jobs producing all household good, elctronics and tools. The working class moving into Eko Ile-Lagos from other states and the rural settlements need housing and stable jobs with good wages.God please help Yobaland.
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by dayokanu(m): 9:57pm On Aug 08, 2012
So if by tomorrow, I build my house on 3rd Mainland bridge, the govt should come and relocate my and also pay me compensation

Ask the makoko residents who gave them the land they built their houses on?
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by mapet: 6:05am On Aug 09, 2012
Okiki,

Please let's not get confused. LASU is an institution that needs to sustain itself. The children of the poor also deserves quality if they wish to pursue their academic intent to university level.

My tots on the Makoko issue are these;
1. We just get sentimental over issues that are straight forward. This is not the first time government is reposesing her land illigally habited.
2. No sentiments about it. They are illegal occupants and except they were decieving themselves, knew they were living there on borrowed times. They had no title document to the land they occupy.
3.That slum was an epidemic prone area and was bound to have health effect on other parts of Lagos.
4. Relocating them is illogical. You mean Lagos State government will encourage a pattern where people will just go to any available government land and occupy, and later ask for relocation or compensation when it's time to evict them?
5. Many of the historical land battles in court between private owners have issues when children of some ancestor what to evict other family
Okiki_Oluwa: Hm! Na wah for all this Political side talk & media backlash.
From my discovery, Fashola has done more good to Lagos than harm. My only question for him is 'why is the fee of Lagos State University (LASU) that high'? I learnt LASU school fees ranges between N180,000 - N385,000. If this is true, education is not for all in Lagos. And it is a dent on the image of Fashola.

About the hearsay 'Makoko people are not Lagosians & that there was polling centres in that area during the April 2011 Elections' meaning, those people voted in Lagos during that election...I am speechless!
Last Bullet; Nigerians should not go for party names but the individuals.

1 Like

Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by SlipperyPete37: 6:08am On Aug 09, 2012
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by four4: 7:17am On Aug 09, 2012
Imagine this trash!! Comparing lagos with his village. Even if the writer of this message have not travel out of this country atlease he do see river or beach side in other developing or develop country, is that kind of structure he do see in those country on there river side? River side or swamp is not meant for poor. Those side meant for massive structure nd side attraction befitting meger city like lagos. Moreover 70% of them are not nigerian without vilid paper and they had been warned for long time to vacate the place. I do not known what goes on your mind whenever you are ontop of third maryland bridge seeing those chantese
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by four4: 7:37am On Aug 09, 2012
flymyq:
is it under must they must stay in lagos? Didn't they have their own country(non nigerian) and their state (nigerian) , I'm 100% sure truly lagosian can't nd will never live in that kind of place. If they can't pay or live in a decent environment then they should go back to their village
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by four4: 7:41am On Aug 09, 2012
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by Jaideyone(m): 10:23am On Aug 09, 2012
deshclones:

you seriously lack comprehension skills....re-read the write-up well before spewing thrash as usual....i have witnessed a man driving against on coming vehicles because of traffic hold up,he was stopped by the silly lastma guys,the man explained that his wife seated at the back seat was in labor,sharply the lastma guy directed one of his boys to ride with the man and clear road for him till he gets to the hospital..that is compassion..not humiliating people unnecessarily..
retard... The millitary man had a woman in labour in his car abi? Donkey like you
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by mikeapollo: 1:40pm On Aug 09, 2012

Thanks and God bless you for this candid and objective observations. I have consistently made similar observations but the thoughtless and brainless ACN bootlickers cannot see beyond their nose. (By the way I voted for ACN in 2011)

Fashola is just a heartless arrogant dictator. It is very clear now that his attitude and style of management was the cause of the doctors strike.

One thing I have noticed is that Fashola has mastered the act of telling lies to deceive the people. During the doctors strike, he said he did not have the power to recall the doctors, and that only the Health Service Commission could recall them! But what happened after Tinubu intervened? The same Fashola was the person who recalled the doctors.

On the Makoko issue, Fashola again lied to the wprld that the Makoko residents are responsible for the shrinking of the Lagoon! What a lie! The cause of the shrinking of the lagoon is the same Fashola and his govt who went to carry out a huge sand-filling/land reclamation at Ilubirin,at the tail end of the 3rd Mainland bridge towards Adeniji side. That huge land reclamation was done by Fashola, but he is lying that the Makoko residents' shanties are the cause of the shrinking lagoon(lying against innocent people) and going ahead to inflict another punishment/demolishing without even giving them adequate notice,or alternatives or compensation.
In due course, the Makoko area will be sold to money-bags the same way Maroko was sold!

He deceived the market women in Yaba that he would rebuild the market for them, but he has sold their market-space to money bags. He denies the poor and gives to the rich!

Sometimes, I blame we Nigerians for our misfortune. When Tinubu was having issues with him (because of Fashola's demolishing of markets and complaints by market women and other peasant craftsmen, Okada riders etc to Tinubu's mother), some people were abusing Tinubu. Now we can see that Fashola has no compassion for the poor. He can never win any vote from the poor in this country, not even for councillorship or senate or anything

Power drunk governor!
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by EkoIle1: 1:58pm On Aug 09, 2012
^^^^^^^ Rufus, relax with your stinking garbage before heart attack or high blood pressure kill you. You useless people need to realize that some of us want to live in a safe, clean and orderly society. If you losers want to continue with your village and slum living, go back to your village, its not by force to live in logos.

Dirty scumbags...
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by haren(m): 2:25pm On Aug 09, 2012
Am very sorry to tell u this! U called "Lagos the unanswered question" I guess u got it wrong. U have the answers already but making issues out nothing.
I don't care much about CAN, but for BRF he is the best thing to have happened to lagos.
- if lagos sounds or look too difficulty for you to stay,kindly pick up your certificate of origin check it again in case you forgot where you came from and head back home. If you are not well funded for transport post ur acct I promise to pay in N10k but u will sign an undertaken not to repeat visit under any condition.
-change to human is difficult, I wonder if you intend getting better. For the process to get better involves sacrifice-endure it,its for our good except for Anti-fashola.
-for the makoko slum, its been long awaited for but u should only talk of the process of evacuation. That terrain harbours some notorious armed robbers. However,if lagos seem flooded the makoko residents are in danger and the next u hear is the govt had abandoned us: no govt aid or attention to the resident, so they need to be evacuated now. Its a proactive measure not until something bad happens b4 we accuse fashola of not giving them a listenin ear.
-you forgot to mention the NURTW! U would call that a failure too? Uhm! Enemy of progress! They need to be sanity in their operation, and ask urself wat was the initial constitution mandating d establishment of d body? The aims has been defeated and the need to streamline their oprtn is necessary.
-u mentioned oshodi, do I need say anyhing about that? Except the person kicking against such positv work is one among the pick pocketer in oshodi that found himself into dis forum.
-market? OMG! I dopnt want to say anything again. Lagos is our own dream city,pls let it be and understand that fash is doin so much wit lagos allocation n taxes while you ran way from ur state to lagos to add to the number of people he had to cater for while u depopulate ur state and ur own state can't find who to expend their allocation on and had no option than to pocket their state funds. Reason u hav in a lagos average compound about 5-6cars(traffic congestn) and in ur hometown no single car on its road not to talk of compounds.
God bless Fashola
God bless Lagos
God bless you
God bless I
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by olaheavy: 2:58pm On Aug 09, 2012
I remember during the BBC documentary of the slums in Lagos. The backlash we Yoruba suffered at the hands of the invaders from the Eastern Nigeria was astounding! Even thpugh these Igbos, Ijaws and other Biafrans live illegally in Yorubaland in their millions (and evidently they populated the swines that occupied the slums in question) they were all up in arms against the Yoruba calling us dirty and with other unprintable names. That was one of the few times that these Eastern cannibals would clearly admit that Lagos indeed belonged to the Yoruba! Only hypocritical bastards would love to sit on the fence at every fvcking opportunity. If it's positive the cannibalistic invaders from the East would be quick to claim that Lagos is a ''no man's land.'' However, if it's in the negative the illegal dwellers from the accursed, fallowed, and deserted East would quickly jettison Lagos and start to blame the Yoruba about ''your city...your land...'' and so on. When our able governor, Raji Fashola, announced his intent to clear off the madness at Oshodi these Igbos and other Easterners railed and raved and fumed and even threatened to invite their criminal elements in Massob, Mend, and the Bakassi Boys to fight and cause chaos in Lagos. I remember we dared them to do so then, but we all know they're innate cowards! The Makoko issue is an eyesore. Many successive govts. had tried to dislodge those miscreants (who were mostly Easterners: Igbos and Ijaws, and even non-Nigerians from Togo, Sierra Leone, Cotonou and etc) but were unsuccessful. Instead of these Eastern clowns to be praising Raji Fashola for his resolve to succeed where others have failed they now gang up, as usual, to malign him and impugn his character. Fvcking a/s/sholes, I passed through Ikeja's Computer Village, oh! boy, welldone, Fashola. I would like to reiterate in a paraphrase what Raji Fashola said during the Oshodi debacle: if you don't respect our laws and are not ready to live and abide by our rules, go back to your hellholes in the East!
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by blacksta(m): 3:30pm On Aug 09, 2012
Good Leadership is not about pleasing every single person. what nonsense, Government should compensate illegality. This kind of mindset is the reason why development will take a while before reaching Nigeria. If only GEJ had a tenth of your kind of passion, Nigeria would be a better place.
Re: Fashola (666) - Lagos: The Unanswered Questions by EkoIle1: 3:50pm On Aug 09, 2012
A law and order state!

But I think we should support the governor. [b]If we want development, we must be willing to pay the price. Why should we be happy to visit and/or live in Europe, USA, Singapore, China and other nations and cities who have built successful societies on the back of strict rule of law and refuse to accept the imperative of doing so in our own country? Why should our compatriots be willing to pay taxes in the UK or USA while they join in not paying taxes back at home? Why should we flagrantly breach traffic and urban planning regulations in Nigeria, while admiring the progress other societies which act otherwise are making? I ask these questions not out of self-righteousness; but can’t we all accept the need to change? Of course, these changes will also have implications for the ruling classes – if you insist on tax compliance, for instance, you will have to be accountable to the taxpayer on how the money is spent; if you insist on strict law enforcement, then the leaders will be carefully watched on how they (and their family and friends) relate to the law. But hasn’t BRF earned the right to make higher demands on the citizens? I think he has! And isn’t it in our enlightened self-interest? I think it is!
[/b]
That is why I support the new Lagos State Road Traffic Law 2012 recently enacted by the state legislature and signed into law by the governor. Compliance will involve a culture change by all citizens, but change we must. The government has also enacted a Land Use Act Title Document Regulations 2012 which may also signify a new and stricter regime in respect of land titles. I suspect others may follow. I would personally like to see a law that mandates registration of all domestic staff – drivers, housemaids, cooks, security men, washermen and women; prohibits employment or demands notice of illegal immigrants in household employment, and makes employers liable for non-compliance.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/analysis/columnists/42487-a-law-and-order-state

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

DPO Beats Sergeant To Near-death In Lagos / Court Vacates Order Sentencing IGP Baba To 3-months Imprisonment / Pictures And Videos Of Remembrance Day Ceremonies From Across Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.