Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,668 members, 7,809,519 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:49 AM

Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions (37815 Views)

Kwakwanso’s Insult On Yoruba Elders Will Not Go Unanswered: femi Fani-kayode / It’s Laughable To Claim Buhari Has No School Certificate – APC Chairman, Oyegun / Buhari doesn't need certificate - APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by ShowYourCertificate: 6:52am On Jan 23, 2015
On Wednesday, when the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, General Muhammadu Buhari, laboured to defend himself over the allegation that he did not have school certificate, which is the prerequisite qualification to contest for president, I could not but feel sorry for him. I could see a sober former Head of State, who could only read a prepared speech to explain that he actually attended Provincial Secondary School, Katsina, and wrote University of Cambridge/West African School Certificate (WASC) examinations in 1961 along with the late Shehu Musa Yar’Adua and Justice Umar Abdullahi. He could not take questions in the press conference he addressed in Kano.

I was sorry for Buhari on two scores. One, he’s suddenly having a taste of the bitter medicine, which his political party, APC, loves to give his opponent, President Goodluck Jonathan. He had been placed on the spot and is figuratively stammering to explain himself. Two, I was sorry for Buhari because he’s a victim of the certificate mentality, which is like a plague in Nigeria. In this country, we tend to cherish certificate more than the ability to do something. This is why those, who have read too much books, as it were, and loves using “big grammar,” as we say in local parlance, see those who are not “lettered” or those who would prefer to speak plain English as less mortals. It’s a class thing, which did not start today. Chinua Achebe, in his epic book, Things Fall Apart, illustrated this. In the book, Obi Okonkwo lost the respect of his people, on his return from abroad where he had gone for studies because he only spoke “is and was.” His people expected their son to have spoken like Pastor Chris Okotie and Hon. Obayegbon, who would dazzle you with “big grammar.” Well, this is a topic for another day.

Yes, I said Buhari was having a taste of the bitter medicine of the APC because, ever since the certificate saga started, I have always wondered what APC could have done or said, were it President Jonathan whose academic claims are in dispute. I am sure that APC would have raised hell and outright called for the withdrawal of Jonathan from the race. But now that it’s the presidential candidate of APC that is in the eye of the storm, the political party is rationalising. Isn’t it funny that a political party that says it was coming to right the wrongs in governance and out to fight corruption is now querying why somebody is talking about Buhari’s certificate in 2015, when the former Head of State had contested for the post of president on three previous occasions and his certificate was never an issue? What an argument!

Yes, on three occasions, Buhari contested for the position of president and his certificate was not an issue. That nobody made this an issue does not mean that it was never one. And that the certificate saga has become an issue today is not out of place. By arguing that since Buhari used an affidavit in 2003, 2007 and 2011 and nobody said anything, it’s a crime to raise hell now, the APC is also saying that a new president cannot visit what his predecessor ignored. My question is this: Is this how the APC federal government would fight corruption, if the party forms the national government? How do we trust that APC would do what it’s promising now that the party thinks that its presidential candidate is above scrutiny and, therefore, does not owe Nigerian an explanation about his certificate? How do we trust APC to do the needful, in the true sense of it, if the party thinks that an issue not raised or addressed in the past should not ever come up?

Of course, Buhari owed and still owes Nigeria an explanation. This is why I fault his position thus: “I only consented to address you this morning because of the genuine concern expressed by many supporters and other well-meaning Nigerians that the issue be addressed. Otherwise, I would have dismissed it for what it is – sheer mischief and would not have considered it an issue worth the nation’s while.” No, Sir! It would have been wrong if Buhari never addressed issues relating to his certificate. Leaders owe their subjects or the ruled explanations, for whatever it’s worth. Whoever assumes public position must let the people know everything about him. And if Buhari thinks that this is not what it should be, he’s indirectly telling us the type of president he would be, if he becomes one.

Now, Buhari has explained. And the principal of his former school has come to his rescue by releasing a statement of result. This is what is expected. However, does this rest the case? Perhaps! But there are still issues that ought to be explained. The statement of result released by the Government College, Katsina, which is a metamorphosis of the Provincial Secondary School Buhari attended, bore the name of the student as: Mohammed Buhari. Yes, Mohammed and Muhammadu may just be the same thing, but when did our former Head of State change his name or the spelling of his name? Is there a sworn affidavit to that effect? Was there a newspaper publication to certify that the former Mohammed Buhari is now Muhammadu Buhari? Also, Buhari stated that he made Division 2 in the WASC. His principal, in 1960/61 also, in his testimonial on Buhari, said the retired soldier made Division 2. The question, however, is: Does four credits, in English Language (C5); Hausa Language (C5); Geography (C6) and Health Science (C6) and one A3 in History, translate to Division 2 in WASC? I know that in the past, a student makes Division 1 when he records all As in his papers. Does four Cs and one A translate to Division 2?

Besides, why is it that it’s statement of results not event certified by any Notary Public that Buhari is showing 53 years after he left school? What happened to the certificate that was issued him by Cambridge/West African Examination Council (WAEC)? Was the certificate lost? If it was lost, stolen or burnt, is it possible that Buhari never had any photocopy of it? If the certificate is missing or lost, where are the affidavit and the police report to that effect? I am raising these questions because when things get lost in Nigeria, a police report is required and an affidavit also. Why is the Buhari case different? It will also be interesting to know if the retired Justice Umar Abdullahi, Buhari’s classmate or exams mate, is also parading a statement of result and not certificate. Perhaps, we should wake Yar’Adua from the dead and find out what his is.

The certificate saga may not stop Buhari from contesting the election. It may not even stop him from becoming president if he wins, but the APC presidential candidate has a moral burden. His explanation of the certificate saga is tardy. Also, APC has a moral burden. The opposition political party’s hypocrisy has been exposed because its leaders want their presidential candidate to do what the party, as a progressive political party, would not tolerate others doing.

Of course, Buhari is wrong to have said this: “And although the ruling party may want to wish this away, the issue in this campaign cannot be my certificate, which I obtained 53 years ago. The issues are the scandalous level of unemployment of millions of our young people, the state of insecurity, the pervasive official corruption, which has impoverished our people and the lack of concern of the government for anything other than the retention of power at all costs.”

I beg your pardon? Mr. Head of State, Sir, if the certificate of a presidential candidate, who could be president and, therefore, the symbol of the country’s sovereignty cannot be an issue, I wonder what would. If Buhari’s certificate is not an issue, why then would the things Buhari listed be the issue. His certificate borders on integrity. And integrity is required in office as president. Therefore, he still has explanations to make, as far as the certificate matter is concerned. No amount of APC arrogance would wish this way.

However, the Buhari case should serve as a lesson to everybody. You must protect your certificate. You must have photocopies of your certificate. You can even save it in the bank to ensure that it’s safe. Buhari can get away with this, but no ordinary Nigerian would. Can you imagine going to get a job at Shell, Chevron or United Nations and when you are asked to tender your certificate, you present a sworn affidavit. And after many questions, your school presents a statement of result. Do you think you will land the job? It’s only in Buhari and APC republic that this will happen.
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=101440

336 Likes 88 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by ShowYourCertificate: 6:52am On Jan 23, 2015
Buhari just shot himself on the foot. He failed to realise that one single lie can lead to a chain reaction of multiple lies. He has definitely lost his integrity. We need to see his certificate.

[size=25pt]#BuhariShowYourCertificate[/size]

270 Likes 43 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by Mogidi: 7:04am On Jan 23, 2015
Should Buhari win, how do you advice young children to face their studies when they know their president is semi literate?
[size=15pt]Check out GEJ's impressive CV[/size], Obama would even be envious.
[size=15pt]
Part of Dr Goodluck Jonathan's impressive CV[/size]
[size=15pt]SCHOOLS ATTENDED WITH DATES[/size]
ST MICHAEL’S PRIMARY SCHOOL, OLOIBIRI, BAYELSA STATE FSLC 1966 – 1969
MATER DEI HIGH SCHOOL, IMIRINGI, BAYELSA STATE 1971 – 1975
UNIVERSITY OF PORT HARCOURT 1977 – 1981
UNIVERSITY OF PORT HARCOURT 1983 – 1984
UNIVERSITY OF PORT HARCOURT 1987 – 1995
[size=15pt]ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS:[/size]
FIRST SCHOOL LEAVING CERTIFICATE (FSLC) 1969
WEST AFRICAN SCHOOL CERTIFICATE (WASC) 1975
GENERAL CERTIFICATE OF EDUCATION (GCE O/L) 1976
B. Sc. ZOOLOGY SECOND CLASS (HONS) UPPER DIVISION 1981
M. Sc. HYDROBIOLOGY/FISHERIES BIOLOGY 1985
Ph. D. ZOOLOGY 1995
[size=15pt]MEMBERSHIP OF BODIES:[/size]
MEMBER, SCIENCE TEACHERS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA
MEMBER FISHERIES SOCIETY OF NIGERIA (FISON)
FELLOW NIGERIA ENVIRONMENTAL SOCIETY (NES)
FELLOW INSTITUTE OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATORS OF NIGERIA
FELLOW NIGERIA INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR IMPACT ASSESSMENT (IAIA)

GEJ passed mathematics o (apologies to General Buhari)
grin grin grin

221 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by AdeniyiA(m): 7:08am On Jan 23, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
Buhari just shot himself on the foot. He failed to realise that one single lie can lead to a chain reaction of multiple lies. He has definitely lost his integrity. We need to see his certificate.

[size=25pt]#BuhariShowYourCertificate[/size]
... and this warrants a "showyourcertificate" username? undecided

How I wish there's another credible aspirant who'd engage us in intellectual discuss. who'll reel out transformative manifestos, how he'll create job opportunities, cancel fuel importation through resuscitation of our refineries and building new ones, and other social welfare discuss, not some petty talks on certificate and verbal attacks.
shameless, myopic nd clueless set of leaders undecided

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by SeverusSnape(m): 7:10am On Jan 23, 2015
Word!

16 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by prettyjo(f): 7:14am On Jan 23, 2015
the way some people carries other people's matter on their head amazes me.

#modified#
I welcome myself to the politics section,where bashing is the order of the day....who cares??
oya start

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by jamex93(m): 7:17am On Jan 23, 2015
there must be transformation, there must be transformation awon ole, ole, ole, bustards!

3 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by WisdomFlakes: 7:18am On Jan 23, 2015
PDP and Jona have lost ALL hope of winning this election based on their Principal's performance, so they would rather waste our time on trivialities.

Insiders within Jonathan's gov't and campaign team have intimated him of the SOBERING likelihood of his losing this elections hence the team is CLEARLY in PANIC MODE.

Buhari's victory at the polls is a fait accompli, and it's simply too late to change that.

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by PrinceMario(m): 7:20am On Jan 23, 2015
The writer of this junk should go to court.

Oppppsss...i forgot courts are on strike.

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by kestolove95(m): 7:24am On Jan 23, 2015
It's do clear pdp has lost dix. Election, dey. Ar more busy on buhari certificate than national issues,hw I wish pdp will spend dat tym looking for out chibok gurls

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by Descartes: 7:27am On Jan 23, 2015
Hmmm...the truth is gradually coming out.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by klodike(m): 7:28am On Jan 23, 2015
Interesting and epic writing. 1000likes for this

91 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by eunisam: 7:37am On Jan 23, 2015
let him contest without cert. A loser will lose.

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by ORACLE1975(m): 7:42am On Jan 23, 2015
It take's more than a crown to become a KING...The people love GMB because thy beleave in him not because is education when GOD choose DAVID to lead saul seek for his life but everyone know the story,GOD have given us change and that change is in nigeria to stay permanet by GOD grace.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by otil1: 7:50am On Jan 23, 2015
klodike:
Interesting and epic writing. 1000likes for this

Me 2, and 3too

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by Nobody: 7:52am On Jan 23, 2015
The APC and Buhari are giving us a little snippet on the type of government they want to instil and the manner of change they have in offer if ever they are mistakenly voted in.

The only change they have to offer is to turn Nigeria into an Orwellian totalitarian fascist state.

God forbid!

80 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by taharqa: 8:03am On Jan 23, 2015
Buhari show us your certipikate na.

But o, shee WAEC does not give certipikate to people who score F9 in Maths

Lol grin grin grin

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by menesheh(m): 8:12am On Jan 23, 2015
Menn u are on point

Forgery and scam activated

Smelling jail around

Why did Buhari and the principal press jail button

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by dayopti(m): 8:16am On Jan 23, 2015
Please where is Doyin Okupe? Let him come and comment on this post, sure he will like this

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by shortgun(m): 8:17am On Jan 23, 2015
APC lie lie party with "oluwole" certified ancestor for president.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by Trut(m): 8:24am On Jan 23, 2015
Nice article

1000000 likes grin

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by lecturerdabo(m): 8:27am On Jan 23, 2015
PDP OR APC, Both are strange bedmates and like birds.

The funny actors and actresses in this whole saga are gullible but arrogant Nigerians who once they pitch their tents find it too degrading and embarrassing to make a turn even when the wind is not in their favour.

I don't want GEJ!

but have not seen a valid option yet!!

GOD HELP NIGERIA!!!

17 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by Dannyset(m): 8:38am On Jan 23, 2015
Thank u for ur paid observation. Can we now move on from here?
Next pls.........

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by Kenai: 8:39am On Jan 23, 2015
prettyjo:

This is NOT "other people's matter".
This is a MAN who wants to be president of my country.
This is a MAN who says he wishes to fight corruption and uphold the MORAL and ETHICAL structure of the country!
This is a man whose policies are meant to affect the lives of over 170 million people!
So, is it a crime to simply demand he comes to equity with clean hands?
Would it be wise to crown a man who turns out to become the very thing he's sworn to fight?
This is NOT "other people's matter". This is MY matter, YOUR matter and EVERYBODY ELSE'S!

138 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by lomprico(m): 8:42am On Jan 23, 2015
Food for chop oops, thought.

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by AmucheJane(f): 8:42am On Jan 23, 2015
Can't he go to WAEC office and get one since he has his WAEC number or even browse it out as an evidence or is it not in the Internet? The northerners has been cheating us for long, they can use one certificate and give Job to 10 people, I mean a very good job. Have you ever seen an educated northerner searching for job? Let us just be frank here, can a blind man lead the unblind? Is unfortunate that Buhari is an illitrate(simple truth) and can't rule the litrate ones. Nigeria is to big to be called a country, they should divide Nigeria into 2 or 3. Our government is corrupt already and will not be that easy for anybody to amend. I pray for God to give us the rightful person to lead this country. You guys are just there insulting and killing each other, as for me, they should give the youth chance to come into the government. Am tired of all this greed old men in the government. We have all it takes to be the best country in the world but bad governance won't let us. God bless Nigeria.

63 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by Noneroone(m): 8:53am On Jan 23, 2015
prettyjo:
This is no longer other pple's matter because he is planning to be president.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by D9ty7(m): 8:55am On Jan 23, 2015
prettyjo:
Listen to yourself. Is Buhari a other people? By all standard, everything that involves Buhari involves the country.
He is a former head of state, he is contesting for the presidency. When Jonathan said stealing is not corruption, what did you do? Is he not entitled to his own opinions even if they are stupid? But the fact that he is a leader, a president, everyone is talking about it.
Buhari is not just some anybody in this country. The was people will talk about you is different from the way people will talk about Buhari. Shey you get?

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by Sapeleboy(m): 8:59am On Jan 23, 2015
Bagahari u are a looser

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by SuperModerator: 9:01am On Jan 23, 2015
APC: we will arrest corrupt officials
PDP: we will use technology to fight corruption

APC: we will revive Ajaokuta steel factory
PDP: The steels for the second river Niger bridge has been imported

APC: we will defeat Boko Haram
PDP: APC sponsors Boko Haram

APC: we will create employment opportunities
PDP: Buhari is too old to be President

APC: we will secure Nigeria's porous border
PDP: North western presidents died on the seat, so Buhari too might die on seat

APC: we would diversify the economy
PDP: APC is a Muslim party

APC: We shall strengthen and make independent the
EFCC, ICPC and other anti-graft agencies and
repeal the laws which inhibit their independence.
PDP: Buhari doesn't have a certificate

APC: we will decentralise the police
PDP: Buhari is sick

APC: Nigeria will generate 40,000mw of electricity
PDP: APC is vandalising pipelines

Apc: “We shall stop the corruption of our electoral
process by making Independent National and
State Electoral Commissions (INEC) truly
independent.
PDP: APC is planning to rig the election

Nigerians, please vote wisely

_Jayseehe

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by SaiBuharii: 9:01am On Jan 23, 2015
Hh
Re: Buhari’s Certificate, APC And Unanswered Questions by mtprofessor5(m): 9:01am On Jan 23, 2015
J

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Nigerian Election Was Not Free Nor Fair And INEC Lied- Bolanle Olukanni / Muhammadu Buhari With Commandant Of US Army War College In 1980 (Throwback Photo / Pdp Endoreses Senator Bukola Saraki For Senate President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.