Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,490 members, 7,854,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 10:54 AM

Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 (17811 Views)

Okorocha Spotted On A Train In London After Being Embarrassed By IPOB. Photo / Enugu In Turmoil As Police Shot At Biafran Protesters-pics / Enugu In Deep Riot Against Boko Haram Suspects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by dedeike: 7:55pm On Aug 13, 2012
Rich Dad: How are we sure this was Enugu and not Bostwana and that the year was actually 1936 and 1998 turn black and white? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Whatever it is. Wherever it may be. The truth is that the rail way system was functional and efficient in Nigeria then.
It's unfortunate that things have gone so bad. Successive military govts paralyzed the sector.
However, it's good to know that GEJ is reviving the rail system. The second phase of the Lagos-Kano was recently awarded to CCCEC. Abuja-Kaduna line is 35 % ongoing. Hopefully this will be a good start to our journey back to the old good days
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 13, 2012
Sisi_Kill: STUNNING PICTURE OF AIRPORT IN KADUNA (1932)

[img]http://4.bp..com/_NeYWJPgWCGQ/TPcN1FwbIsI/AAAAAAAAA1s/fHR1yxzadq4/s1600/bryce-olsen_blog_airport-dec10-1.jpg[/img]

The cars in the first picture look "modern"

3 Likes

Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by jude33084(m): 8:10pm On Aug 13, 2012
blink182: Handing it over to the black man is what went wrong.

Ɣ☺Ʊ mean handling it Ť☺ Nigerians wink because trains still works in southern African countries ΆŋԂ they are blacks smiley
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by yomz1e(m): 8:10pm On Aug 13, 2012
How do we know it's even Enugu, it looks like a scene from some cowboy movie waiting to be jacked by some Indians
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by jude33084(m): 8:11pm On Aug 13, 2012
blink182: Handing it over to τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ black ♏ãn is what went wrong.

Ɣ☺Ʊ mean handling it Ť☺ Nigerians wink because trains still works in southern African countries ΆŋԂ they are blacks smiley
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by PhysicsQED(m): 8:15pm On Aug 13, 2012
A-town:

lol, yeah

Fake date on the picture. Not even any reason to think it's necessarily in Africa. I wonder if Sisi Kill was being sarcastic.
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by Nightshift(m): 8:17pm On Aug 13, 2012
I nearly cried last November when i went to Enugu train station. I was at the same station in 1988, my last journey then was from Aba to Enugu. At the station last year, i saw a run-down station where almost nothing would suggest it was a busy train station just about a little over two decades ago. I saw where we used to queue for tickets. The eight counters were in alphabetical order. The whole terminal building was empty, only a little bar is left. I couldn't do anything than order a bottle of Amstel malt; remembering dozens of times i boarded train at the station. It was fun in those days, my mind would do calculation of the towns our train would call at on our way to Aba - Agbani, Nnome, Oduma, Afikpo, Ibeku, Ovim, Umuahia etc. I was particularly trilled by the 5 to 10minutes stop at Afikpo. In Afikpo, passengers would have the chance to buy different types of well spiced, cooked Bush meats. Another highlight town was Ovim, folks there and the villages around Umuahia Ibeku, make the best 'Agidi-Biscuitbone' I've ever eaten. Aba train station was a special place for stockfish lovers. In early 80s, well cooked and ready to-go stockfish was sold between 50 to 80Kobo, depending on the size.
It's really sad that Nigeria's endemic corruption has killed our once boisterous rail system. Nigeria Railway Corporation was also one of the companies employees considered their jobs and pensions safe. In a normal clime, we would be talking about high-speed trains in Nigeria today - Port-Harcourt to Kano in 6hrs. Corruption is evil, period !

13 Likes

Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by suyu: 8:19pm On Aug 13, 2012
hmmm nice ok
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by Lalaska(m): 8:28pm On Aug 13, 2012
Guys take a close look at that Kaduna airport pix again. How can those SUVs exist in 1932? Someone's playing a fast one with us here

1 Like

Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by SisiKill1: 8:36pm On Aug 13, 2012
PhysicsQED:

lol, yeah

Fake date on the picture. Not even any reason to think it's necessarily in Africa. I wonder if Sisi Kill was being sarcastic.

Whaaaa. . .if OP can get away with posting an undated picture of an unnamed place, why can't I? cheesy

Sorry I am not as good with the little details as he seems to be. tongue

1 Like

Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by xpensivethony: 8:36pm On Aug 13, 2012
i think independence is the worst thing that happened to this fake marriage called nigeria....
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by SisiKill1: 8:38pm On Aug 13, 2012
Lalaska: Guys take a close look at that Kaduna airport pix again. How can those SUVs exist in 1932? Someone's playing a fast one with us here

Oooooh Sherlock Holmes!!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by kcpumping(m): 8:56pm On Aug 13, 2012
Pls aw do  upload a new topic here... hav tried all guess my fone Iڪ nt G☺̣̇☺̣̇d for į̸̸̨ƭ or what.pls some one should help me with d steps to update a new topic..here Iڪ my email address talktokc2002@yahoo.com
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by member479760: 9:04pm On Aug 13, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe: GEJ is working really hard to restore that rail network(Eastern) the last time i checked. cool (Completed by November)

http://www.punchng.com/business/transport/eastern-rail-line-rehabilitation-begins-ready-in-10-months/

are you serious sey na white people dey do the manual labor for us?
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by Nobody: 9:15pm On Aug 13, 2012
Sorry to say, I don't believe that picture. . .how do we know that is truly Enugu, and if so, that it was indeed in 1936? I ain't buying that.
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by KiKatanga: 9:17pm On Aug 13, 2012
nakedall:

are you serious sey na white people dey do the manual labor for us?

No, more likely Chinese, but Railway Engineering even at that level is more skilled than manual labour when you get into modern small tolerance track.
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by anicho(m): 9:21pm On Aug 13, 2012
Hmmmm.... 'THINGS FALL APART'
but i'm bringing it back up...check my signature
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by Chongaiman: 9:34pm On Aug 13, 2012
wandeay: how i wish we are stil under british by now, am sure they wont enslave us abnomally as our so-called leaders are doing us today

Which British? Not the ones on planet earth I guess. angry
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by Nobody: 9:39pm On Aug 13, 2012
Rich Dad: How are we sure this was Enugu and not Bostwana and that the year was actually 1936 and 1998 turn black and white? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Exactly my thot.... No billboard noting nothing...just a train moving in forest
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 13, 2012
jude33084:

No southafrica is mixture of white and black...remove d white and the country is as good as dead ....am not trying to sound inferior ...as a matter of fact I hate d white ... But it fact is fact ....black mind is bad
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by Darius2000: 9:44pm On Aug 13, 2012

Honestly, I have been thinking for a while if something is wrong with the blackman.........
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by Onyenna(m): 10:16pm On Aug 13, 2012
What a shame.............
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by doublej1(m): 10:24pm On Aug 13, 2012
Pls, anyone who is well grounded in Nigeria history will know that oyibo once packed our feaces
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by logica(m): 10:29pm On Aug 13, 2012
Yes, when oga white man was done mining enough coal and had to go back to his country. But then to make ALL black people LOOK incompetent, then ensured they put incompetent people in place before they left. How nice.
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by product: 10:34pm On Aug 13, 2012
A-town:

Fellow , where u been

U just forget USA student thread .

How are tins going down
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by julimax(m): 10:44pm On Aug 13, 2012

[img]http://4.bp..com/_NeYWJPgWCGQ/TPcN1FwbIsI/AAAAAAAAA1s/fHR1yxzadq4/s1600/bryce-olsen_blog_airport-dec10-1.jpg[/img]

Lie...big one! That cant be 1932? look at the picture.. there are modern cars in it...some of us are not that dumb
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by yomz1e(m): 11:13pm On Aug 13, 2012

Thats my uncle John Smith in the 2nd picture, i recognise him from the long nose, he was the airport lastweek flying back to canada because he couldn't stand the heat in Kaduna

1 Like

Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by maigaskiya1: 11:21pm On Aug 13, 2012
Remii:

1965 coupist are to blame, they derailed plans of our leaders, those who got independence and had plans were killed and power got to hands of those that never planned for it.
blame d hausas 4 mismanagng nd loting nija dry nd blame d yorubas 4 supervisng d loting
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by Tropilo(m): 11:32pm On Aug 13, 2012
Nigeria's rail system started failing and suffered neglet when the Shagari govt appointed a man who has interest in trailer haulage as minister of transport.
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by doublej1(m): 11:36pm On Aug 13, 2012
Tropilo: Nigeria's rail system started failing and suffered neglet when the Shagari govt appointed a man who has interest in trailer haulage as minister of transport.
my brother thank you, is it not chachangi. Using his trailers to spoil our roads at that time, al though he was forced to repair it later.
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by emsquare(m): 11:49pm On Aug 13, 2012

On point!
Re: Stunning Picture Of A Train In Enugu In 1936 by taharqa: 11:52pm On Aug 13, 2012
You guys should talk Truth small na. The NRC have been revived(some of their derelict offices rebuilt, workshops and way stations refurbished, and new workers engaged). I also know that trains are now running the Lagos-Ibadan/Ilorin line and that the Lagos-Kano rail tract rehabilitation is complete or almost complete(there is a 'troublesome' bridge somewhere in Kwara I think that is reason South-North train service has not yet started- they were supposed to start in the 1st week of August). The Intra-Lagos train service is fully running; and I heard that other intra-state services like Kaduna and Enugu has also started(can any one confirm this plz).

The Eastern Line(Portharcourt-Maiduguri tract) is been rehabilitated in 3 phases. Can anyone from those areas info us of the progress on that tract so we can put the NRC and the Contractors on their toes(Pics will be much appreciated).

Anyways, for the 1st time in very many years the NRC is back and the total revival of the rail sector seem on course- this year perhaps.
PS: I know nothing about the progress on the contracts of the Modern Standard Gauge Railways recently signed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Policewomen Caught Extorting Money Dismissed / Fashola Marks 2,900 Days In Office (photos) / Dino Melaye: We Are Proceeding With Recall - INEC Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.