Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,537 members, 7,837,067 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

Electricity Generation Inches Higher, Hits 4,477.7MW - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Generation Inches Higher, Hits 4,477.7MW (853 Views)

Mixed Fortunes As Electricity Generation Hits 4,068MW / Blackout: Electricity Generation Sinks To 1,580MW / Edo's 18 LGAs: PDP 144,285 Votes & ACN 477,478 Votes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electricity Generation Inches Higher, Hits 4,477.7MW by wesley80(m): 7:40am On Aug 15, 2012
Every single MW is worth celebrating now.
Power generation has attained a new high - hitting 4,477.7 megawatts - the highest ever generated in the country. Out of the volume, 170MW is being kept as reserve. The new peak exceeds the record level of 4,237MW achieved on August 6 by 240.7MW. The spokesman of the Minister of Power, Ogbuagu Anikwe, in a statement quoted the Minister of Power, Prof Barth Nnaji, as saying: “The good news is that every power generated is wheeled comfortably. In August, 2010, when Nigeria generated for the first time 3,800MW, the system collapsed within a few minutes because the transmission infrastructure was poorly maintained.” Commenting on the new generation level, the former PHCN executive director and former chief executive officer of the Egbin Power Station in Lagos, Mr Simeon Atakulu, said:[b] “It is significant that the new record in generation has been set even with the 1,320MW Egbin plant, the nation’s biggest power generator, doing only 600MW because it is undergoing routine maintenance. This means we have a spare power capacity of over 300MW.” [/b]It is understood that the new output increase came from the 600MW Shiroro Hydro Station in Niger State, which ironically a section of the media falsely reported at the weekend to have been shut by a group of junior workers over controversial pension claims. The Power Minister said the Nigerian Gas Company, a subsidiary of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC), has been increasing gas supply to power stations in accordance with the directive of President Goodluck Jonathan and Petroleum Resources Minister Diezani Alison- Madueke. He added that the quantum of power available to Nigerians would increase further before the month runs out. Giving a breakdown of how the government would further increase generation, Nnaji stated that one unit of 112.5MW at the Omotosho plant of the National Integrated Power Project (NIPP) in Ondo State would start to run this month and noted that he would soon travel to Ughelli in Delta State in preparation for the addition of 200MW from the Delta Power Plant later this month. One unit of 112.5MW will be inaugurated next month at the NIPP plant at Ihonvbe on the outskirts of Benin, Edo State, with another unit of the same capacity scheduled to start power supply in October. The same month, one unit of 112.5MW of the second phase of the Geregu plant in Kogi State will be inaugurated, he added. While praising the staff of agencies under the Ministry of Power for their hard work, commitment and patriotism in challenging circumstances, which many Nigerians may not appreciate, Nnaji asked them not to rest on their oars, adding that power development still has a long way to go in the country.
thenationonlineng.net/2011/business/57661-electricity-generation-hits-record-4477mw.html
FRESH AIR
Re: Electricity Generation Inches Higher, Hits 4,477.7MW by PhysicsQED(m): 8:40am On Aug 15, 2012
Good news.
Re: Electricity Generation Inches Higher, Hits 4,477.7MW by asha80(m): 8:59am On Aug 15, 2012
wesley 80 this head of electricity workers ajaero just called for the resignation of nnaji.what do you think?
Re: Electricity Generation Inches Higher, Hits 4,477.7MW by wesley80(m): 9:22am On Aug 15, 2012
asha 80: wesley 80 this head of electricity workers ajaero just called for the resignation of nnaji.what do you think?

Funny enough, I have huge sympathy for Mr Ajaero not because of his industrial activism but because of his overall stance on the privatization of the Power Sector. I do not believe the only way power can work in Nigeria is through privatization and Mr Ajaero shares same opinion and his grouse stems from the fact that the sector is about to be sold out just when govt has gotten serious with turning the sector around and all the credit for the turnaround in the sector would be deceptively given to Privatization, that would be a travesty but its exactly where we're headed.
I've read quite a number of writeups by Mr Ajaero and he's obviously a very intelligent fellow that knows what he's fighting for and I consider him a Patriot much more than I consider Mr Nnaji. However, the battle he's fighting is a lost one, Nigerians want Power and how we get it is no issue and unfortunately, anyone fighting for the PHCN is viewed as an enemy of our collective progress hence Mr Ajaero is seemingly locked in a battle not just with the govt but with the people in who's interest his activism is hinged.
I don't know on what grounds he's calling for Mr Nnaji's resignation but take it from me even though Mr Ajaero looks like an enemy of progress right now, I assure you he'll be vindicated in the near future.
Re: Electricity Generation Inches Higher, Hits 4,477.7MW by Nobody: 9:33am On Aug 15, 2012
Bart NNaji is the best Minister of Power, There is electric power almost everywhere in the Country, I cant believe i have had light for one week now uninterruptedly. I like Igbo ppl They have shown to have ppl's interest at hand b4 their.
Re: Electricity Generation Inches Higher, Hits 4,477.7MW by Demdem(m): 9:45am On Aug 15, 2012
Good work Nnaji. If this is indeed so. However we still have a long way to go and the process seems to be slow, we arent inventing any new thing afterall.
Secondly what about the transmission lines? Are all these generated power well transmitted to Nigerians adequately? You seem to be the only woking minister in the Retardeen's administration. keep it up and fast.
Re: Electricity Generation Inches Higher, Hits 4,477.7MW by Etaki: 10:14am On Aug 15, 2012
Fresh air is coming as GEJ Promised. We would get there.
Re: Electricity Generation Inches Higher, Hits 4,477.7MW by PointB: 10:45am On Aug 15, 2012
Demdem: Good work Nnaji. If this is indeed so. However we still have a long way to go and the process seems to be slow, we arent inventing any new thing afterall.
Secondly what about the transmission lines? Are all these generated power well transmitted to Nigerians adequately? You seem to be the only woking minister in the Retardeen's administration. keep it up and fast.

I am also interested in transmission line. Though the text quoted below gives us an idea that something has been done about transmission, I hope for more information.

Still, good work Mr.Barth Barth Nnaji, and GEJ!

The good news is that every power generated is wheeled comfortably. In August, 2010, when Nigeria generated for the first time 3,800MW, the system collapsed within a few minutes because the transmission infrastructure was poorly maintained.
Re: Electricity Generation Inches Higher, Hits 4,477.7MW by Nobody: 11:17am On Aug 15, 2012
President Jonathan will do himself a whole world of good if he's finally able to deal with the power problem. Then we'll have the Boko Haram threat and the war against corruption left. Deal with these three problems, Mr President, and maybe you'll make me a fan.

We're watching. cool

(1) (Reply)

Okupe's Resignation, PDP Replies ACN / South Sudan Begs Nigeria Police For Training / Dana; Dna Shocker At Motuary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.