Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? - Nairaland / General (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? (17257 Views)

Nairaland Spammers/scammers Report Thread / Nairaland Did Not Send You That E-Mail! / Spammers On Nairaland And My Former Classmate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Caracta(f): 1:02am On Aug 16, 2012
Una don sleep?
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by airbender(m): 1:49am On Aug 16, 2012
Whatever i mean who cares u gus think afta reportin to seun he will fire his mods...i dnt tink so...seun i making million 4rm u guyz head nd u are here looking like goat
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by chelseabmw(m): 4:04am On Aug 16, 2012
190*:

Not again.....lolxxxx
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 6:14am On Aug 16, 2012
I fOllowed this tread from the begining to this point...
I think that the so so called 40laptops guys are out to cause calamity here...
Why would anyone send spam mails if not trying to get people angry!
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 6:17am On Aug 16, 2012
D impressions when this thread don create for Seun go pass frontpage self. grin
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by justwise(m): 8:04am On Aug 16, 2012
val_dee:

Any Mod with that knowledge can do more than that boss.

Many of you are still talking complete nonsense.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by justwise(m): 8:09am On Aug 16, 2012
seedord247:

I definitely know you gonna attacked me.. what makes you think i'm a scammer?

Calling you names is a waste of time. Since you have come ac-crossed my post, have you ever see me asking pple for

business or put up my email on here for private purpose. If u follow most of my comments on here you will know that i

hardly take anything serious. I'm joking with those things bcus i know most of it thru my frnd back in aptech naija.

If i wanna scam as you prescribed, i worked for a big time company and i dey get customers details including

celebrities info every minutes. which is, if i wanna do it i would've have be a big time f**king millionaire. But i

dont bcus i strongly believed in Karma.

Mr ITK.

I don't know if the word "overlooked" is in your brain . If fools like you see the way you attacked my comments now, they will think you are saint.

I don't have time for insults today shaaa.

You dream on, any decent company that allows you access to any confidential info is risking their reputation, just keep clear from any fraudulent activity with this ID.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by wawaboy1(m): 8:16am On Aug 16, 2012
Okiki_Oluwa: Sango fire any spammer. Lubbish!
FMJ!

E-LITE EXTRACTOR

1 Like

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by r231(m): 8:25am On Aug 16, 2012
chelseabmw:

Not again.....lolxxxx

shame on you undecided undecided undecided

you are suppose to be a mod.......somebody accused another mod of selling email address and you find it funny undecided
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by jaybee3(m): 8:44am On Aug 16, 2012
Na real wa oh
How do people actually fall for these yeye scams?
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by naptu2: 9:00am On Aug 16, 2012
grin

I believe this has more to do with emotion than anything else. People who have grudges are using this as an opportunity to get their pound of flesh.

If you are a regular user of the internet you would have gotten these kinds of mails before. You get sites cloned to look like Twitter, GTBank, etc. E-mail addresses cloned to look like CBN, etc. It's simple common sense. . . never click on those links. If the e-mail purports to be from nairaland, go back to the nairaland webbsite and confirm that it's actually from nairaland.

When you post your e-mail address on line you should expect to get such spam messages. That's why you should have a public e-mail and a private e-mail and make sure you use an e-mail service that has good spam guard.

Remember that nairaland is a privately owned website. The owner decides whether to have a deactivate button or not. However, if you don't want your content to be displayed, simply modify it. Delete everything you've posted and replace with . Then stop logging in.

It appears to me that a lot of users have never read the nairaland rules and regulations thread (I would suggest that Seun stickies the thread in a prominent place). That thread contains the nairaland constitution and I would recommend it to users.

It's natural that people do not like being punished for breaking the law, but punishment is inevitable when you break the law. People get banned for derailing topics, posts that look like spam (suspicious links, large volume of characters, strange characters, etc) and contravening other rules and regulations of the forum. However, I would advise that people should be told the reasons why they are being banned in order to prevent repeat offences.

7 Likes

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Sekso(m): 9:06am On Aug 16, 2012
If Seun and his moderators have anything to hide, am sure they can prevent this thread from making front page!
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by naptu2: 9:08am On Aug 16, 2012

1 Like

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 9:20am On Aug 16, 2012
This thread is completely unnecessary. Anybody wondering how spammers got their e-mail is definitely not supposed to be online.

It's not restricted to NL. Anybody with an atom of sense can identify a spam e-mail at once and delete. But then id[i]io[/i]ts, like the people blabbing here, will go on and click the links and then turn around to complain when their systems crash,

Nonsense people!

2 Likes

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by slimyem: 9:36am On Aug 16, 2012
r231:

you are suppose to be a mod.......somebody accused another mod of selling email address and you find it funny undecided
why the thing dey pepper you nah..??
Laugh catch person,you say make im nor laugh because him be mod?
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Yorisb: 9:37am On Aug 16, 2012
r231:

why now undecided undecided
Lol grin
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by WhyAWhy(m): 9:39am On Aug 16, 2012
Ujujoan: This thread is completely unnecessary. Anybody wondering how spammers got their e-mail is definitely not supposed to be online.

It's not restricted to NL. Anybody with an atom of sense can identify a spam e-mail at once and delete. But then id[i]io[/i]ts, like the people blabbing here, will go on and click the links and then turn around to complain when their systems crash,

Nonsense people!

This is the end of the matter, wondering why this issue became discussion in the first place, people posting email addresses bbpins etc all over the place, how come someone of us didn't get it?!!!

On another note, a simple python script with depth search can achieve the same functionality.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Yorisb: 9:40am On Aug 16, 2012
r231:

Segun Bro, chill already. It's not North Korea, Its Nairaland. Show/share some love..... cool
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by slimyem: 9:46am On Aug 16, 2012
hustla:

Are u being stupid on purpose?
The emails wld have been extracted using email harvesters and sending with advanced mass sender with a dedicated smtp server and u r ere ranting lyk a rabid fowl..
Use ya sense naa!
deal_ordea:

My guy, don't mind that mumu!!! A simple AMS can allow you to relay millions of email's using RDP which will bypass any channel to your inbox using SMTP... Only a fool will think seun supplied all info
you guys are the silly and mumu ones since the word SARCARSM is obviously alien to you!
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by frikuenci(m): 10:06am On Aug 16, 2012
afam4eva: I thought as much too. There's no way they would have gotten email addresses except they hacked into Nairaland database.

I will start off with this wonderful yoruba adage "ti ogiri ko ba la nu,alangba ko Le wo nu re". English version"if the wall doesn't open up,the lizard wouldn't enter" meaning if you didn't post your email address in the first place the so called spammer wouldn't send u such or get your email. But this also do not dispel the possibility of some MODs doing likewise (spamming) NLers or even the possibility of the database been compromised(hacked).
However, majority of the blame comes from NLers. This particular post said it all and this is just one thread out of several...

https://www.nairaland.com/563015/shl-soft-copy

Its was created December 6th 2010 and people are still asking to be sent a copy as at July 12th 2012.

Most time in our desperation for knowledge, freebies,more information ecetera e sè to ra post our sensitive email on open thread so such information.

People are even lucky that the so called spammers didn't go far to extract email address on their contact list cloning and sending malicious mails that you are in dare Need of financial support.

A rule of thumb, never use the email you use as legitimate business contacts, online account reference contact mail or even official office email to receive information from either affiliate programs or freebies. Rather have a separate free mail that have no connection with your regular email whatsoever.

Funny enough I used one of my funky email to request for the shl info. If they would send it maybe tomorrow.Right away I knew that thread Is a danger zone to receive malicious mails from so called amateur affiliate marketers.

Anywayz, enough said already. My two cent.

But seriously, as in seriously, SEUN you really need to overhaul you MOD cabinet.

Long Life Nairaland!!!
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by frikuenci(m): 10:06am On Aug 16, 2012
afam4eva: I thought as much too. There's no way they would have gotten email addresses except they hacked into Nairaland database.

I will start off with this wonderful yoruba adage "ti ogiri ko ba la nu,alangba ko Le wo nu re". English version"if the wall doesn't open up,the lizard wouldn't enter" meaning if you didn't post your email address in the first place the so called spammer wouldn't send u such or get your email. But this also do not dispel the possibility of some MODs doing likewise (spamming) NLers or even the possibility of the database been compromised(hacked).
However, majority of the blame comes from NLers. This particular post said it all and this is just one thread out of several...

https://www.nairaland.com/563015/shl-soft-copy

Its was created December 6th 2010 and people are still asking to be sent a copy as at July 12th 2012.

Most time in our desperation for knowledge, freebies,more information ecetera e sè to ra post our sensitive email on open thread so such information.

People are even lucky that the so called spammers didn't go far to extract email address on their contact list cloning and sending malicious mails that you are in dare Need of financial support.

A rule of thumb, never use the email you use as legitimate business contacts, online account reference contact mail or even official office email to receive information from either affiliate programs or freebies. Rather have a separate free mail that have no connection with your regular email whatsoever.

Funny enough I used one of my funky email to request for the shl info. If they would send it maybe tomorrow.Right away I knew that thread Is a danger zone to receive malicious mails from so called amateur affiliate marketers.

Anywayz, enough said already. My two cent.

But seriously, as in seriously, SEUN you really need to overhaul you MOD cabinet.

Long Life Nairaland!!!
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by r231(m): 10:18am On Aug 16, 2012
Yorisb:

Segun Bro, chill already. It's not North Korea, Its Nairaland. Show/share some love..... cool

Lool grin grin grin
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Obinoscopy(m): 11:05am On Aug 16, 2012
Sekso: If Seun and his moderators have anything to hide, am sure they can prevent this thread from making front page!

This is what I love about Nigerians. They're are very smart.

Thank you sekso for your wonderful observation.

I'm suspecting these noisemakers who are abusing the moderators are doing so based on sentiments devoid of any iota of logic

Nevertheless, there are some complaints that are justifiable and such complaints have been noted and will be acted upon
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by ace1(m): 11:37am On Aug 16, 2012
Sun of god:

Nice 'theory' . . .

Here's some of mine:

1) The email addresses were supplied by either Seun or a Mod for a fee?

2) A 'mod' has figured out seuns login (probably something like seun123 or seun419) and had captured the info?

3) GEJ ordered a 'cyber' campaign to start discrediting nairaland?

4) Seun whilst 'sleepwalking' sent the message but upon awakening has forgoten what he did whilst asleep?

5) Israel/Mossad sent an 'internet worm' to nairaland in error?

U funny oh
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by ace1(m): 12:12pm On Aug 16, 2012
pdudy:

Just tell us your site was hacked. No biggie. You won't be the first and you won't be the last. Too much tori.

I take it dat ur internet knowledge is below average. Its funny how everybody sees everything as hacking. If u know wat an email extractor is u wouldn't av made dis comment
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by ace1(m): 12:41pm On Aug 16, 2012
onatisii: justwise ,u claim i dropped my email ok ccepted,why didnt i get the spam mail ppl are complaining about if it ws only those emails mde public that were trgeted?h
how were the recipients of these spam mails selected and targeted?

Now dats a dumb question.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by ace1(m): 12:47pm On Aug 16, 2012
tellwisdom:

Dude, either one out of you sold out emails secretly to business owners/marketers etc or a cyber punk is test driving his work with your site!

But seriously, why are you fighting so hard to defending the fact that these emails must have been sold out??

Try run a google search on email extractor. If u can read and understand, dats supposed 2 shut u up
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by r231(m): 12:50pm On Aug 16, 2012
ace1:

grin grin grin grin
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by ace1(m): 12:55pm On Aug 16, 2012
tellwisdom:

Hehehe!!--U too mumu...Thats just after extracting emails, as that is used for sending emails out and not for extracting them out from the database man grin grin. # Automated mass sender (AMS)

Oluku, u can't extract email addresses from NL database buh from its public pages
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 12:58pm On Aug 16, 2012
ace1:

so now one of the criteria required to become a moderator on nairaland is the ability to insult and abuse people.very very good.
do u moderators realise what you are doing ?or do u think it is only nigerians residing in nigeria that are reading all these things?
do u realise the kind of image and impression you are giving to ur international audience and members?
ok,so just because you have members u believe that is the end of the world ,?cool no problem the site belongs to seun he can sit nd continue to enjoy the insults and abuses been thrown round. u will soon understand
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by ace1(m): 2:09pm On Aug 16, 2012
onatisii:
so now one of the criteria required to become a moderator on nairaland is the ability to insult and abuse people.very very good.
do u moderators realise what you are doing ?or do u think it is only nigerians residing in nigeria that are reading all these things?
do u realise the kind of image and impression you are giving to ur international audience and members?
ok,so just because you have members u believe that is the end of the world ,?cool no problem the site belongs to seun he can sit nd continue to enjoy the insults and abuses been thrown round. u will soon understand

I'm not a moderator if u must know, just a regular NL user buh its people like u dat kill the main aim of dis site. If u don't understand something, ask questions instead of acting like u know everything.

I agree some of the mods aren't doing their jobs buh is dat enuff reason to accuse them of selling emails? Even someone wrote that mods have access to users passwords. That's stupidity cos passwords are encrypted before they are saved in the database and Seun is not a today developer to take his site security lightly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Latest Paying Ponzi Scheme / Seun Can We Have Cbox On Nairaland Please / Ritualists On Prowl In Osun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.