Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,499 members, 7,823,167 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? - Nairaland / General (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? (17273 Views)

Nairaland Spammers/scammers Report Thread / Nairaland Did Not Send You That E-Mail! / Spammers On Nairaland And My Former Classmate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by ace1(m): 2:26pm On Aug 16, 2012
onatisii:
so now one of the criteria required to become a moderator on nairaland is the ability to insult and abuse people.very very good.
do u moderators realise what you are doing ?or do u think it is only nigerians residing in nigeria that are reading all these things?
do u realise the kind of image and impression you are giving to ur international audience and members?
ok,so just because you have members u believe that is the end of the world ,?cool no problem the site belongs to seun he can sit nd continue to enjoy the insults and abuses been thrown round. u will soon understand
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 2:39pm On Aug 16, 2012
ace1:

I'm not a moderator if u must know, just a regular NL user buh its people like u dat kill the main aim of dis site. If u don't understand something, ask questions instead of acting like u know everything.

I agree some of the mods aren't doing their jobs buh is dat enuff reason to accuse them of selling emails? Even someone wrote that mods have access to users passwords. That's stupidity cos passwords are encrypted before they are saved in the database and Seun is not a today developer to take his site security lightly.
you missed the whole point,no site is hack prof ,even nasa nd fbi and cia have had thier sites hacked so many times how much more nl.but look through the posts and comments of ppl criticaly u will notice that the major grouse of ppl is actually against these so called mods,a simple explanation or statement would have turned this matter into a laughing matter since yesterday,just tell everyone "we are looking at the problem and it wont repeat itself,pls try to protect ur email and other valuable information online but in the meantime continue to enjoy our wbsite"do u think after a statement like this ppl will stil continue to rain curses and abuses?and even if they do continue what stops the mods from just keeping quite and alowing tempers to cool down,definitely noone will stay on nl for 24hrs,ppl will eventually go to sleep,wouldnt that have been more mature,ethical and professional than exchnging insults ,curses and abuses with registered members?to the extent of one of them boasting that he will ban as many as 1000 members if they annoy him.like i said it is nobody business but when u think noone is noticing ppl that u will need in future are already taking notes of this incidents and accusations been thrown at the mods here.it belongs to seun he can sit and watch and allow matters to snowball

1 Like

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by chelseabmw(m): 2:50pm On Aug 16, 2012
r231:

shame on you undecided undecided undecided

you are suppose to be a mod.......somebody accused another mod of selling email address and you find it funny undecided

What's the meaning of this? So when I find something funny I can't express myself because am a mod? Answers have already being dropped down already by seun,justwise n others.How does my own change things? Cos am a mod I can't laugh?

I believe in my constitution there is what we call freedom of expression n speech....so the shame doesn't go to me,it goes to those mod whose names were mentioned here.

2 Likes

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by r231(m): 2:54pm On Aug 16, 2012
^^^^Sorry sir
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by r231(m): 3:01pm On Aug 16, 2012
onatisii:
you missed the whole point,no site is hack prof ,even nasa nd fbi and cia have had thier sites hacked so many times how much more nl.but look through the posts and comments of ppl criticaly u will notice that the major grouse of ppl is actually against these so called mods,a simple explanation or statement would have turned this matter into a laughing matter since yesterday,just tell everyone "we are looking at the problem and it wont repeat itself,pls try to protect ur email and other valuable information online but in the meantime continue to enjoy our wbsite"do u think after a statement like this ppl will stil continue to rain curses and abuses?and even if they do continue what stops the mods from just keeping quite and alowing tempers to cool down,definitely noone will stay on nl for 24hrs,ppl will eventually go to sleep,wouldnt that have been more mature,ethical and professional than exchnging insults ,curses and abuses with registered members?to the extent of one of them boasting that he will ban as many as 1000 members if they annoy him.like i said it is nobody business but when u think noone is noticing ppl that u will need in future are already taking notes of this incidents and accusations been thrown at the mods here.it belongs to seun he can sit and watch and allow matters to snowball

Pls kindly point it out on this thread where i said that undecided

I have told you over and over again that MODs dont have access to members email address and password

I am not dumb i know people hack or steal pples info everytime from anywhere......you said somebody stole your info to access your facebook and you are blaming mods for that and i told you no thats not true simple...but you kept going on that you know better and assuming that we all live under the bridge in naija somewhere with no education

na wa o
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by ace1(m): 3:14pm On Aug 16, 2012
onatisii:

I followed this topic from the first post till now. Seun already explained this in the first post. Trust me, some pple are just trying to make things look way bigger than what they really are.

Some of the mods are arrogant, I agree buh if an american calls u a scammer n fraudster will u keep quiet?
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by chelseabmw(m): 3:27pm On Aug 16, 2012
For those of you who think mods have access to your emails,Shame on you all..... Mods don't have access to your personal email.We only have access to delete,hide or modify posts of usernames

I receive lots of spam mails from people here.What I just do is to delete them.We mods are here to serve u better and also make u love nairaland.Again we mods dnt feel superior as we all are all the same,the only difference is that some of us just got to be higher than others in order for them to make the others follow the rules and regulations.

2 Likes

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by r231(m): 3:42pm On Aug 16, 2012
onatisii:

@r231- hiding my post ain't gonna prove anything. We can be at this all day. Today is a fine summer day and I'm off work today. Some of us have up to 100 usernames on nairaland so don't be deceived that nairaland is about to hit 1million users.

Please answer my questions.
(Hide) (Mark Spam) (Modify) (Quote) (Report) 1 Like (Like)

^^^dude your question has been answered

I am here waiting for the 100 usernames too
(Hide) (Mark Spam) (Modify) (Quote) (Report)

https://www.nairaland.com/1018826/nairaland-did-not-send-e-mail/6

its not good to lie...pray to God for forgiveness undecided
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 3:52pm On Aug 16, 2012
ace1:

I followed this topic from the first post till now. Seun already explained this in the first post. Trust me, some pple are just trying to make things look way bigger than what they really are.

Some of the mods are arrogant, I agree buh if an american calls u a scammer n fraudster will u keep quiet?
now u are talking better,you mods must realise that whatever u say can either make or mar the reputation of nl,if tempers boil over at certain times over an issue it is the responsibity of mods to keep things cool and under control,not by inflaming the situation by abuse or insults.
try and limit the hidding and banning it is getting out of hand some mods have comprehension problem and they just hide post without critically asessing its value
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by jaybee3(m): 3:59pm On Aug 16, 2012
onatisii:
now u are talking better,you mods must realise that whatever u say can either make or mar the reputation of nl,if tempers boil over at certain times over an issue it is the responsibity of mods to keep things cool and under control,not by inflaming the situation by abuse or insults.
try and limit the hidding and banning it is getting out of hand some mods have comprehension problem and they just hide post without critically asessing its value
Something else dey for this matter for you refusing to let it slide?
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by onatisii: 4:01pm On Aug 16, 2012
jay bee:
am i fighting with anybody now?
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by jaybee3(m): 4:03pm On Aug 16, 2012
onatisii:
am i fighting with anybody now?
Morn na sexkillz
Afternoon na sexkillz
night na all d moderators
2moro na sexkillz
How can we move forward?
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by r231(m): 4:04pm On Aug 16, 2012
onatisii:

mods are human not robot undecided

if a post doesn't have nothing to do with the topic then we have to hide it and if a member keep derailing thread, they will be banned
how many times did i caution you guys on that thread yesterday to stick to the topic,
the topic is about email and you guys kept going on about de-activation. i even advise you guys to email seun or open another thread
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 16, 2012
jay bee:
A mod must have "snatched" his girlfriend. . . I'm still waiting for the full gist.

1 Like

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by tpia5: 4:31pm On Aug 16, 2012
chelseabmw: For those of you who think mods have access to your emails,Shame on you all..... Mods don't have access to your personal email.We only have access to delete,hide or modify posts of usernames

I receive lots of spam mails from people here.What I just do is to delete them.We mods are here to serve u better and also make u love nairaland.Again we mods dnt feel superior as we all are all the same,the only difference is that some of us just got to be higher than others in order for them to make the others follow the rules and regulations.

classic
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by tpia5: 4:32pm On Aug 16, 2012
r231: ^^^^Sorry sir
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Freiburger(m): 4:32pm On Aug 16, 2012
tpia@:

classic
This matter has been resolved by these two mods, so what do you think you are doing? angry angry angry
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by ace1(m): 4:51pm On Aug 16, 2012
onatisii:

I'm not a MOD ohhhhhhhh... I'm a NL user just like u buh I understand some of dese tins

1 Like

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Master6(m): 8:39pm On Aug 16, 2012
Is it not all those times ppl will be looking for freebies? Some1 would say I av dis, den 1 mumu person will type his/her email address, nd all d oda mumus will follow suite. They left email jaga jaga on top public forum, they con dey complain. Mtschew
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Aug 16, 2012
chelseabmw:

What's the meaning of this? So when I find something funny I can't express myself because am a mod? Answers have already being dropped down already by seun,justwise n others.How does my own change things? Cos am a mod I can't laugh?

I believe in my constitution there is what we call freedom of expression n speech....so the shame doesn't go to me,it goes to those mod whose names were mentioned here.
*kiss* *kiss* *kiss* oh nice one! love you bro
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Aug 16, 2012
justwise:

Many of you are still talking complete nonsense.
Not suprised with your silly reply; attack the speaker when confronted with facts.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by justwise(m): 11:12pm On Aug 16, 2012
val_dee:
Not suprised with your silly reply; attack the speaker when confronted with facts.

The fact is?
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Aug 16, 2012
justwise:

The fact is?

I 've got to sleep, dude.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by justwise(m): 11:43pm On Aug 16, 2012
val_dee:

I 've got to sleep, dude.

I hope you wake up tomorrow with some senses.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Nobody: 12:28am On Aug 17, 2012
justwise:

I hope you wake up tomorrow with some senses.

Exactly what you need man.
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Odunnu: 1:36am On Aug 17, 2012
naptu2: grin

I believe this has more to do with emotion than anything else. People who have grudges are using this as an opportunity to get their pound of flesh.

If you are a regular user of the internet you would have gotten these kinds of mails before. You get sites cloned to look like Twitter, GTBank, etc. E-mail addresses cloned to look like CBN, etc. It's simple common sense. . . never click on those links. If the e-mail purports to be from nairaland, go back to the nairaland webbsite and confirm that it's actually from nairaland.

When you post your e-mail address on line you should expect to get such spam messages. That's why you should have a public e-mail and a private e-mail and make sure you use an e-mail service that has good spam guard.

Remember that nairaland is a privately owned website. The owner decides whether to have a deactivate button or not. However, if you don't want your content to be displayed, simply modify it. Delete everything you've posted and replace with . Then stop logging in.

It appears to me that a lot of users have never read the nairaland rules and regulations thread (I would suggest that Seun stickies the thread in a prominent place). That thread contains the nairaland constitution and I would recommend it to users.

It's natural that people do not like being punished for breaking the law, but punishment is inevitable when you break the law. People get banned for derailing topics, posts that look like spam (suspicious links, large volume of characters, strange characters, etc) and contravening other rules and regulations of the forum. However, I would advise that people should be told the reasons why they are being banned in order to prevent repeat offences.

I'll suggest this post seals this thread up. #justsaying
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by manny4life(m): 2:29am On Aug 17, 2012
I still don't understand how people think that they can't get spam in their email, like seriously? Your email is public record, all of you are blaming NL, meanwhile, a lot of you use other non secured websites. Seun has done a goo job explaining to you, although I'm no computer expert because that ain't my field, but I have it on good authority that unless you have a spam filter + secured access to a non secured website, YOU WILL RECEIVE SPAM. Please, spam is no big deal, if you have Gmail, reset the settings with advanced filters and you don't have to worry about it. I do not believe the Mods or Admin will stoop such low to do a thing like this, regardless of how much money they love.

1 Like

Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by urchmanx(m): 11:41pm On Aug 20, 2012
if you understand how spamming works you will not complain about this. All over the world spamming is giving IT headache. The big co-operation can not start it let alone NL.
My email is full of spam every day asking for biz deals and transaction but i know that such is scam so I never respond to it. With the advert of zeus and other power bot net it is easy to extract all the email address that were publicly post on this forum without Seun knowledge, pls let us give sun a break. Seun pls control your Moderators there should be rules here on our part and your moderators part.
Now that you know it is spam while not delete it and stop complaining as if you are leaving NL now
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by RazorSharp1(m): 3:17pm On Aug 29, 2012
regret entering this NL angryregret entering this NL
Re: How Did Spammers Get Our E-Mail Addresses? by Slicqyprizzy(f): 4:58pm On Aug 29, 2012
^^
if you regret registering, then stfu and never come back. No one is forcing you to be here.
Mtcheew

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ritualists On Prowl In Osun / XXXTENTACION – Tear Drop (his Last Song Befor He Pass Away) / The Memoir, Life And Time On Nigerian Waters Through The Eyes Of A Nurse.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.