Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,484 members, 7,812,502 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:21 PM

Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves (13203 Views)

Naira Drops, As BVN Paralyses Forex Market / Naira Drops As Demand Pressure Heightens / Cement Price Drops (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by Nobody: 9:56am On Aug 16, 2012
The demand for diesel has reduced significantly over the past few weeks, causing the price of the product to drop by 6.05 percent.
This follows a significant increase in power supply levels across the country, from the national grid, in the same period.

Diesel, which sold weeks back, for N165 per litre at fuel stations, now sells for N155, a drop of N10 per litre, a positive development for users and a pain for importers.
Many parts of the country have in recent times experienced improved power supply. Only on Tuesday, the country hit a record level of 4,477 megawatts in power generation.

The new peak exceeds the record level of 4,337 megawatts, achieved on Monday, August 6, this year, by 240 megawatts. Before then, it was about 3,800 megawatts.
The improved electricity supply, according to industry insiders has been as a result of increased gas supply to the power generating stations, the strengthening of distribution networks and transmission lines, and the fact that some of the National Integrated Power Projects have started contributing to the national grid.

Bart Nnaji, minister of Power, has attributed the sharp increase to gas availability, and praised the Nigeria Gas Company (NGC),adding “gas is coming up gradually and when fully stabilised, we can easily hit 5,000MW.
Strengthening this position, are the additional distribution networks which have come on stream in some strategic locations across the country.

The nation’s gas agenda is robust. It puts gas-to-power at the core, but also envisions an aggressive gas based industrial growth. This in turn will drive further growth of demand for power.
The plan is for about 3billon standard cubic feetb(bcf/d) of gas, targeted at the Power Sector, with existing Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) plants being cardinal base load consumers of the product. Additional gas will come from other sources, such as Independent Power Plants (IPP’s).

The NIPP has 250 distribution network projects embedded within the existing networks of the 11 Electricity Distribution successor companies of PHCN. As such, the host distribution companies are fully involved in the commissioning and integration of the new facilities into existing networks.

Diezani Alison –Madueke, minister of Petroleum, commenting on the improved power supply in the country yesterday, listed the items completed in the critical pipeline segments that have helped improve supply, as including the 27kmX24inch permanent gas supply pipeline from Itoki to Olorunshogo via Ewekoro, all in Ogun State; the 56kmX24inch Escravos-Warri gas pipeline - doubling the pipeline capacity and enhancing gas evacuation from Escravos, as well as the 130kmX36inch Oben to Geregu pipeline.

“The net impact of all these is the addition of 120million cubic feet of gas per day (mmcf/d) to the grid and the permanent elimination of the challenges of low gas pressure that has plagued the Olorunshogo PHCN and NIPP power plants. We are also now well positioned to supply gas to the existing Geregu Power plant and all anticipated future expansions in that axis,’’ she said.

A chief executive officer of one of the major oil marketing companies, who spoke to BusinessDay, said it was true that demand was low, but it could be entirely attributed to improved power supply because usually the demand for the product was limited.
Another manager in one of the marketing companies also said that the price of the product has been retreating but added that at this period of the year, the demands is more for Dual Purpose Kersosene and not AGO.

Duro Kuteyi, president, Lagos State chapter, National Association of Small Scale Industries (NASSI), said the fall in diesel price may be due to the recent increase in the supply of electricity. “We hope it will continue and not be a flash in the pan”, he told BusinessDay.

Muda Yusuf, director- general, Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) said the drop in AGO price,“ is a relief to manufacturers. But is not good news for government, because it means lower revenue”. It is the outcome of full deregulation of diesel. Moreover, energy is a big issue. The fall in price can be tied to the ongoing global recession. Growth is declining globally, Nigeria inclusive. This is affecting prices”.

Olufemi Olawore, secretary, Major Oil Marketers of Nigeria, said that the drop in the price of the product could be as a result of improvement in power supply.
But Ikem Oha, the secretary, Depot and Petroleum Products Marketers Association of Nigeria, said the price of AGO which is imported is tied to the international price of crude oil, and could not be attributed to the improved electricity supply.

He said if the price of crude oil was rising, the price of the product would also rise and if it was falling, it would also fall.

Victor Ndukauba, vice president Afrinvest, told BusinessDay: “I believe the drop in diesel prices can be tied to a combination of two factors: the nearly 30 percent fall in crude prices last month had a knock on effect on refining costs, and therefore on the prices of by-products, and the relative improvement in public power supply within the Lagos metropolis, has impacted diesel demand. This may have also contributed to lower retail prices of diesel by marketers looking to achieve faster inventory turn-around”.

The fall in the pump price of diesel, analysts said, was increasing the risk of loan default by refined products importers, which was in turn raising the risk of higher Non – Performing Loans (NPLs), for Nigerian banks.
Nigeria imports most of its refined petroleum products because it does not have enough domestic refining capacity. While the price of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) better known as petrol, is regulated, that of diesel is determined by market forces.

This implies that a diesel importer, who ordered cargoes earlier, may have his margins eroded due to the fall in prices in recent times.
“Banks financing diesel and other such imports, may be in trouble,” said one oil industry insider who declined to be named.

Nigerian banks have historically concentrated lending to blue chip companies, particularly in the oil and telecoms sectors, and with interest rates currently hovering above 28 per cent, smaller players in the non-oil sectors are increasingly locked out of credit.

“Also, banks no longer finance importation of PMS as their concentration is now on Automotive Gas Oil (AGO) which is now experiencing a glut in the Nigerian market, hence the desperation of the banks to want to sell off whatever cargo they have helped finance, in order to recoup their money.”

The banks have been burnt before. In 2010, the oil and gas sector got the largest chunk of loans with 20 percent of all banking loans.
The oil and gas sector also had the highest concentration of Non Performing Loans (NPLs) in 2010, at 20.2 percent of total outstanding bank loans.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/42930-diesel-price-drops-on-back-of-improved-power-supply

1 Like

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by denko(m): 10:58am On Aug 16, 2012
This is what some northerner dont want to hear and see, in order NOT to expose their inefficiencIES of the past, hence the creation of BOKO HARAM they will be put to shame at the end. NIGERIA MUST WORK.

15 Likes

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by TechRev: 11:07am On Aug 16, 2012
FRESH AIR!!!! we need more of these.
Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by DAY12(m): 11:14am On Aug 16, 2012
Good News is all I WANT!
Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by Nobody: 11:15am On Aug 16, 2012
If PHCN is on strike,where are people now getting electricity from if not through I pass my neighbour ? Bunch of liars.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by Nobody: 11:15am On Aug 16, 2012
Positive development in the right direction
Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by gamesb: 11:19am On Aug 16, 2012
this is true in fact i can't remember the day i bought diesel for my Lister generation.
this is what i do just to steam my generator in the morning and off back all because of improve electricity in my area .
we THANK GOD .
Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by andyzoga: 11:19am On Aug 16, 2012
I tend to believe Prof Nnaji's words than any other persons in d cabinet. We can now see a bit of action rather than d noise everywhere. If other ministers can perform in their respective ministries just like dis Prof is doing, I don't think Nigerians'll complain dat much again. We need more of actions than talk.... God bless Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by aitanofi(m): 11:20am On Aug 16, 2012
This is a good development, and we hope more of these successes would be achieved by our dear country, NIGERIA.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by Morgan1092(m): 11:21am On Aug 16, 2012
HNosegbe:

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/42930-diesel-price-drops-on-back-of-improved-power-supply
I hope dis is true... Nt only diesel, FG shld luk at d price of PMS n DPK. They re d most common among d masses.
Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by blank(f): 11:21am On Aug 16, 2012
Still don't have light. angry

2 Likes

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by Nobody: 11:21am On Aug 16, 2012
am so glad we are moving forward...atleast make we dey hear good news for once..no be evrytime boko haram this, boko haram that..May we continue to progress in jesus name...Amen!

3 Likes

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by Nobody: 11:21am On Aug 16, 2012
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD NEWS. grin grin grin
Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by fellawales: 11:23am On Aug 16, 2012
Truly,for week now we av enjoy constant power supply in my area,only yesterday we had no lite atall. We are getting there

1 Like

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by stepo707: 11:24am On Aug 16, 2012
GEJ promised this in the presidential media chat.He said Nigerians will sings his praise again.Am sure this is what he meant.Once he tackles security issues and corruption, I'll queue under the sun for 12hrs to vote him again in 2015.

6 Likes

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by sdiq: 11:24am On Aug 16, 2012
ABEG POWER NO INCREASE FOR ALIMOSHO, WE ARE EXPERIENCING WORST POWER SUPLY EVER

1 Like

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by obo2t(m): 11:24am On Aug 16, 2012
chipmunkey: GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD NEWS. grin grin grin
same for me
Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by meksroland: 11:25am On Aug 16, 2012
Sincerely power improved. If all things being equal, I believe before 2014, generator will be a thing of the past. 500naira fuel I bought since April is still in my generator cos the light is about 21hours a day in my area Aguda. s

2 Likes

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by jhoshy55: 11:26am On Aug 16, 2012
Truly, the electricity supply has improved tremendously in my area (Abesan Estate, Lagos State). Kudos to prof. Bart and the stakeholders... Weldone!!!

1 Like

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by wellheads(m): 11:27am On Aug 16, 2012
I pray it is so. I will be so glad and GEJ would have done one good thing in this country.
denko: This is what some northerner dont want to hear and see, in order NOT to expose their inefficiencIES of the past, hence the creation of BOKO HARAM they will be put to shame at the end. NIGERIA MUST WORK.

The next problem for us to tackle will be people like denko who will always reduce every national issue to ethnic/tribal sentiments. And believe me, they are as bad as power outage.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by stillme(m): 11:28am On Aug 16, 2012
All we need is power stability. Not one day off,one day on system.
Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by Nobody: 11:28am On Aug 16, 2012
So we should start jubilating that it dropped by only 10naira! Fuel nko? Abi dat one no go follow drop? undecided
Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by ariyebaba(m): 11:31am On Aug 16, 2012
GOOD NEWS !

CONSTANT POWER SUPPLY- UP TO 18 HOURS IN MY AREA.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by luvinhubby(m): 11:31am On Aug 16, 2012
Kudos to GEJ, i have steady power supply in my house.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by princemol: 11:33am On Aug 16, 2012
For now I think somtin gud is happening in power sector. Ther s tremendious improvement in my area. But soup wey sweet na money killam (more light,more cards) grin grin

1 Like

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by filcast(m): 11:34am On Aug 16, 2012
~Bluetooth:

If PHCN is on strike,where are people now getting electricity from if not through I pass my neighbour ? Bunch of liars.
wake up guy!
Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by Nobody: 11:35am On Aug 16, 2012
It's true. In my area of Enugu, power's on for 21 hours. (off by 6pm to 9pm)

1 Like

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by Ozonelayer1: 11:36am On Aug 16, 2012
Yea,dis is good news and a giant strid toward our aim in electricity supply.i hav light since monday without any shakin,una try my ppl

1 Like

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by Afam4eva(m): 11:36am On Aug 16, 2012
I must confess that electricity has been stable for some weeks now. It's very unlike NEPA.

1 Like

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by RichDad1(m): 11:37am On Aug 16, 2012
Now Otedola's Forte Oil wont be happy about this. cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by mejai(m): 11:39am On Aug 16, 2012
thank u GOD 4 GEJ. We need more amenities & i tell u, no citizen of dis country will dream abt goin 2 ghana, zambia, malawi, mogadishu & co. I will personally bring out my nysc khaki & participate in 2015 for FRESH AIR, LIKE WE DID IN 2011!

1 Like

Re: Diesel Price Drops As Power Supply Improves by Super1759: 11:39am On Aug 16, 2012
~Bluetooth:

which strike...they ve resumed work. They needed timeout

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Want To Give 100k To Those Who Are Really Hungry / Free Ebooks For Nairalanders / Which Industries/companies Buy Honey In Large Quantities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.