Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,663 members, 7,823,879 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth (3951 Views)

How Access Bank Treated Us Unjustly / Diamond Bank Or University Of South Florida / DIAMOND BANK Or University Of Sunderland.. House Pls Help Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by sweetjummie(f): 1:56pm On Aug 17, 2012
Hi all,
I am presently in a dilemma rite now, am through with access bank recruitment stages, and am just waiting to resume for their trainning school, on the otherhand, I have also gained admission into university of porthsmouth in uk to study msc finance, I don't know d one to choose between the both, pls house I need ur advise
Tanimola22, jarus,mr ajanlekoko etc pls advise me oooooooooo

Tanx

N:B, am a 2.1 graduate in Economics
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by globechamp: 2:26pm On Aug 17, 2012
sweet_jummie: Hi all,
I am presently in a dilemma rite now, am through with access bank recruitment stages, and am just waiting to resume for their trainning school, on the otherhand, I have also gained admission into university of porthsmouth in uk to study msc finance, I don't know d one to choose between the both, pls house I need ur advise

Tanx

Very candidly, I for one, will DEFINITELY get the access bank job. To me, the Net Present Value of work experience, especially with the current situation of the economy, is GREATER than a masters degree. You may go for your masters degree, but know for SURE that you will come back after the masters into an ENTRY LEVEL job, if you are lucky to find one.
It is much better to have work experience (MINIMUM of 3 years is safe enough), then go for your msc. Remember, MSc will always be there for you to grab, but JOB? no guarantees.

Most importantly, let God lead you in your decision.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by Jarus(m): 2:47pm On Aug 17, 2012
sweet_jummie: Hi all,

Tanx

2:1 Economics plus Msc Finance is a good combination.
There are a number of questions around here:

Can you comfortably fund the Msc?
Do you still have age on your side?

If the answers to those are yes, I would consider going, simply because I don't rate bank jobs in Nigeria that high, much less an unstable Access Bank.

Another pro of going is, you have a broader range of jobs you can apply and be considered for when you're back.

The cons however are: 1, if you come back, it is not automatic that you will get job immediately. 2, Your Msc may not make any difference in terms of pay/level as most coys will still consider you for entry level position (what your Bsc Econs would have also earned you)

If it were an oil coy or related job, I will advise otherwise, but for Access Bank, I'd say: go take that Msc offer, if not for anything, because once you have that Msc, that's an additional qualification that is now out of the way.
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by sweetjummie(f): 3:57pm On Aug 17, 2012
@globechamp, tanx for d advise, u are very right, getting a job in dis country is becoming increasingly difficult by d day, av finished my nysc since october last year and yet no job, dat was y I decided to further my studies with msc finance in uk since no job was forth coming, but to my surprise, I finally go sumtin @ access bank

@jarus, tanx for response, 1. My dad is capable of fully funding my msc program and as regards d age issue, I don't tink age is on my side again, am 24yrs already, and am a woman, so it's marriage dat is of paramount important to me rite now, my fear is dat if I decline dis access bank job and go for d msc abroad, it might not be easy to get a job right away, only God knows how long I wud av to wait to get a job after my msc
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by Jarus(m): 4:13pm On Aug 17, 2012
sweet_jummie: @globechamp, tanx for d advise, u are very right, getting a job in dis country is becoming increasingly difficult by d day, av finished my nysc since october last year and yet no job, dat was y I decided to further my studies with msc finance in uk since no job was forth coming, but to my surprise, I finally go sumtin @ access bank

@jarus, tanx for response, 1. My dad is capable of fully funding my msc program and as regards d age issue, I don't tink age is on my side again, am 24yrs already, and am a woman, so it's marriage dat is of paramount important to me rite now, my fear is dat if I decline dis access bank job and go for d msc abroad, it might not be easy to get a job right away, only God knows how long I wud av to wait to get a job after my msc
Follow your mind then. Take the job. You may go for your masters after like 3 years experience. You shouldn't have problem with getting another job when you come back, with Msc plus 3 years experience.
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by AjanleKoko: 4:25pm On Aug 17, 2012
Is University of Portsmouth offering you a job?
If they're not, I don't see the basis for comparison here. Some people want to pay you, others want you to pay them. And you are trying to make up your mind cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by tomju(m): 5:30pm On Aug 17, 2012
I resigned from my prestigious oil industry job to study in the Uk. I'll tell you. I've personally been to the University of Portsmouth near sandsea. Its a good institution. Very Prestigious. An Msc will give you an added advantage in your career. The time to go for it is now! After a year, you'll be 25 or even at 27 you are still very young for marriage. An Msc guarantees you a job at managerial level. Dont let anyone scare you. When you are good, jobs will be knocking on your door. I've been there myself. Choose study, you'll never regret it. Remember, investing in yourself is the greatest asset you can give yourself. The time is now! Act wisely.
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by Jarus(m): 6:33pm On Aug 17, 2012
sweet_jummie: @globechamp, tanx for d advise, u are very right, getting a job in dis country is becoming increasingly difficult by d day, av finished my nysc since october last year and yet no job, dat was y I decided to further my studies with msc finance in uk since no job was forth coming, but to my surprise, I finally go sumtin @ access bank

Follow your mind then. Take the job. You may go for your masters after like 3 years experience. You shouldn't have problem with getting another job when you come back, with Msc plus 3 years experience.
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by deenee: 9:19am On Aug 19, 2012
If funding is not an issue, I would suggest that you take the job. Gain experience and consider a masters later along the line. At that point you will be able to articulate what your post graduate academic needs will be. In my own view, if you go for the M.Sc now, you will still come back to contend for the same entry level jobs with your home schooled contemporaries and age might not be in your favour as companies keep reducing the age limit for new hires

Also Uni of Portsmouth is not a top notch school by any standard. They are not even top twenty in the UK regional ranking. If funding is not an issue why not go for the best like Oxford, Cambridge, LSE etc? I always tell people that if they want to study abroad, they should always aim for the best that is on offer. It might cost a little bit more but trust me, that extra is an investment that will repay many times over!

2 Likes

Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by babaijesha: 2:37pm On Aug 19, 2012
I will advice you to take the job, there are lots of distance learning master degree u can complete while working. Good universities lke, university of london, leceister, heriott wat etc offer finance at that level. U keep ur job and still get ur masters.
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by DisGuy: 1:37pm On Aug 20, 2012

LMAOOOO what in world.....

jesu kristi!!!

just get married forget the two options, atleast you've achieved your dreams that way cheesy

on a serious note, get the bank job, when they throw you out let say in 18months time, go for your Msc then wink
you might still find it difficult getting a job with experience and Msc after that but at least you'd be married
so that complete the journey, first degree-tick, work experience-tick, second degree-tick, marriage- damn right!!!

1 Like

Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by AjanleKoko: 2:11pm On Aug 20, 2012
Dis Guy:
on a serious note, get the bank job, when they throw you out

Why would you assume she would be thrown out? undecided
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by DisGuy: 2:28pm On Aug 20, 2012
Just a high probability

banks seems to have a very high staff turnover
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by jaybee3(m): 2:38pm On Aug 20, 2012
MSc in Finance from portsmouth uni will probably get you know where very fast on completion of the course.
What i'd do if i were to be in your shoes is work with access bank for a year, seek admission from other highly rated uni's whilst gaining quality experience with access bank. You can also throw in starting your CFA certification if you are able to combine the lot together.
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by AjanleKoko: 2:40pm On Aug 20, 2012
Dis Guy: Just a high probability

banks seems to have a very high staff turnover

People are let go all the time, in most sectors.
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by Nobody: 3:37pm On Aug 20, 2012
tomju: I resigned from my prestigious oil industry job to study in the Uk. I'll tell you. I've personally been to the University of Portsmouth near sandsea. Its a good institution. Very Prestigious. An Msc will give you added advantage in your career. The time to go for it is now! After a year, you'll be 25 or even at 27 you are still very young for marriage. An Msc guarantees you an job at managerial level. Dont let anyone scare you. When you are good, jobs will be knocking on your door. I've been there myself. Choose study, you'll never regret it. Remember, investing in yourself is the great est asset you can give yourself. The time is now! Act wisely.
You 'resigned from your prestigious oil industry job' shows that you already have some experience before going for your masters, if I may presume. It is easier for you to get a job with experience + masters than with masters only. Let her get the needed experience in Access Bank. MSc is always an option to consider anytime but the job/experience is not always there.
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by DisGuy: 4:20pm On Aug 20, 2012
tomju: I resigned from my prestigious oil industry job to study in the Uk. I'll tell you. I've personally been to the University of Portsmouth near sandsea. Its a good institution. Very Prestigious. An Msc will give you added advantage in your career. The time to go for it is now! After a year, you'll be 25 or even at 27 you are still very young for marriage. An Msc guarantees you an job at managerial level. Dont let anyone scare you. When you are good, jobs will be knocking on your door. I've been there myself. Choose study, you'll never regret it. Remember, investing in yourself is the great est asset you can give yourself. The time is now! Act wisely.

FOR THis same naija? so many 'good' graduates out there mate,still searching for 'good' jobs
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by AjanleKoko: 4:21pm On Aug 20, 2012
Dis Guy:

FOR THis same naija? so many 'good' graduates out there mate,still searching for 'good' jobs

I didn't want it to seem like I got beef.
But I suspected that post from the get go. undecided
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by skillip(m): 7:06pm On Aug 20, 2012
@Op, I will advise you to take up the job and go for your program years later, you still got age on your side. Mind you, you can't trade experience for anything else, it's pretty important in today's world. Meanwhile, as you plan ahead try see if Lagos Business School has some sandwich program you can run, so that you're still in touch with your career part. Thanks. Njoy!!
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 20, 2012
Is a bank job even a job?
Go for your M.sc abeg.

At 24 you are still a baby. When we have most undergraduates clocking 27yrs in school these days.

Don't be discouraged with the no job bandwagon. People get jobs everyday.
Trust me, you will be better off in the long run. I did my masters before getting a job and it has paid off over and over again.
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by Jarus(m): 7:27pm On Aug 20, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by Jarus(m): 7:30pm On Aug 20, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I wonder too o. Msc. . . . Then job fiam, managerial for that matter!

With no experience, Msc hardly means much. I have a lot UK Msc holding friends that went immediately after our first degree and came back looking for entry level job again.
That said, I'll take an Msc over an Access bank job, if I'm comfortable enough and got funding from my parents. But if I'm not so comfortable, I will take the job and consider Msc later.
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by AjanleKoko: 8:12pm On Aug 20, 2012
BlueDiva: Is a bank job even a job?
Go for your M.sc abeg.

At 24 you are still a baby. When we have most undergraduates clocking 27yrs in school these days.

Trust me, you will be better off in the long run. I did my masters before getting a job and it has paid off over and over again.

haba, BD.
You just dey fall my hand today sha embarassed

So all the people working in the 23 banks are playing? Then why are you patronizing them

Secondly, you prolly did your masters well before the singular defining event of 2008, known as Global Recession. And there were prolly not that many UK Msc holders searching for jobs in Naija back then. It was even the trend back then for people in Naija to check out via HSMP.

Even in the developed climes, people are looking for job these days. There's an army of returnees with UK Mscs and MBAs, looking for jobs now. Access training school is pretty good. No harm in her giving it a shot, and going for the Msc later. As you have rightly pointed out, she's still young.
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by sweetjummie(f): 11:55am On Aug 21, 2012
Tank u all for ur reponses, u guys av opened my eyes to a whole lot of things
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by sweetjummie(f): 12:01pm On Aug 21, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Why would you assume she would be thrown out? undecided

I tire o!....help me ask him o, as if it's only banks that sack their workers in nigeria
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by sweetjummie(f): 12:07pm On Aug 21, 2012
BlueDiva: Is a bank job even a job?
Go for your M.sc abeg.

loools,@blue diva, bank job it's still a job na, at least it's better than doing a runes girl job, just because u did ur msc b4 getting a job and it paid off for u doesn't mean every1 wud be as lucky as u are, are u aware dat dere are thousands of msc holder rooming the street of lagos searching for a job
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by sweetjummie(f): 12:20pm On Aug 21, 2012
Jarus:

I wonder too o. Msc. . . . Then job fiam, managerial for that matter!

With no experience, Msc hardly means much. I have a lot UK Msc holding friends that went immediately after our first degree and came back looking for entry level job again.
That said, I'll take an Msc over an Access bank job, if I'm comfortable enough and got funding from my parents. But if I'm not so comfortable, I will take the job and consider Msc later.

@jarus, my fear is leaving without zero work experince for msc, and from the responses av gotten, it seems uni of porthmouth is not all dat highly rated, wat I intend to do now is to work for 3years at access then enroll for Ican, so in 3years time, I wud av gained 3years experience and av ican too before I zoom out of the country for my master in a much better university than porthmouth.

But I have a question for u jarus, between an msc finance and MBA (finance), which one is better ?? Thanks
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by sweetjummie(f): 12:34pm On Aug 21, 2012
jay bee: MSc in Finance from portsmouth uni will probably get you know where very fast on completion of the course.
What i'd do if i were to be in your shoes is work with access bank for a year, seek admission from other highly rated uni's whilst gaining quality experience with access bank. You can also throw in starting your CFA certification if you are able to combine the lot together.

@jaybee, tanx for ur response, I will forfeit my msc program for now and go for the access bank job then apply for a better school later in the future, and as regards the CFA certification, I heard it's very good but I think I prefer ICAN
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by jaybee3(m): 12:42pm On Aug 21, 2012
sweet_jummie:

@jaybee, tanx for ur response, I will forfeit my msc program for now and go for the access bank job then apply for a better school later in the future, and as regards the CFA certification, I heard it's very good but I think I prefer ICAN

Good stuff. One caution though, ICAN is probably recognised only in Nigeria whereas CFA is globally recognised. Make sure you make the right choice
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by Nobody: 1:47pm On Aug 21, 2012
AjanleKoko:

haba, BD.
You just dey fall my hand today sha embarassed

So all the people working in the 23 banks are playing? Then why are you patronizing them

Secondly, you prolly did your masters well before the singular defining event of 2008, known as Global Recession. And there were prolly not that many UK Msc holders searching for jobs in Naija back then. It was even the trend back then for people in Naija to check out via HSMP.

Even in the developed climes, people are looking for job these days. There's an army of returnees with UK Mscs and MBAs, looking for jobs now. Access training school is pretty good. No harm in her giving it a shot, and going for the Msc later. As you have rightly pointed out, she's still young.

There are jobs, afterall the OP just got a job didn't she?
We know that things are rough all over the world but y'all make it sound so gloomy.

I am a HR pro and i know we recruit up to 5 times a year in different capacities though some are not advertized.
I also know that a higher degree gives you an edge when every other thing is at par.

Now, to the OPs dilemma, having a bank job in Nigeria is a risk. You might lose your job tomorrow.
I'd rather favour an M.sc applicant than one who has a B.sc with just one year experience (considering that you can lose a job in a bank in just mnths).

I got my MBA in 2000 without working a day (though i had to claim that i had 2yrs experience so i would be admitted cheesy)

Anyways, when i got my first job, i was made to head a small team of older and more experienced people with less qualification.
They weren't happy and sometimes they tried to frustrate my work but the issue is that i was made their boss and had a better pay because i had an MBA. Such things still happen till date.
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by Nobody: 1:52pm On Aug 21, 2012
sweet_jummie:

loools,@blue diva, bank job it's still a job na, at least it's better than doing a runes girl job, just because u did ur msc b4 getting a job and it paid off for u doesn't mean every1 wud be as lucky as u are, are u aware dat dere are thousands of msc holder rooming the street of lagos searching for a job

All the best in your decision.
Re: Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth by Jarus(m): 3:16pm On Aug 21, 2012
sweet_jummie:

@jarus, my fear is leaving without zero work experince for msc, and from the responses av gotten, it seems uni of porthmouth is not all dat highly rated, wat I intend to do now is to work for 3years at access then enroll for Ican, so in 3years time, I wud av gained 3years experience and av ican too before I zoom out of the country for my master in a much better university than porthmouth.

But I have a question for u jarus, between an msc finance and MBA (finance), which one is better ?? Thanks
That seems fair enough: ICAN plus experience before moving out.

MBA Finance vs Msc Finance: I don't think there is a fit-all answer to this, as it will depend on your personal plans. I'm currently doing MBA though.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria / Life Of A Banker / OAUTHC CBT Test Past Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.