Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,224 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Dredging Of River Niger: Investment Opportunities For Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dredging Of River Niger: Investment Opportunities For Nigerians (1803 Views)

Ikpeazu Begins Dredging Of Aba River (photos) - Igbere TV / What Is Wrong With This Picture Of River State Governor-elect? / FG Approves Dredging Of Calabar Port!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dredging Of River Niger: Investment Opportunities For Nigerians by taharqa: 12:55am On Aug 22, 2012
Away from the political banters thrown around on his forum these days, I thought I should share this INFO on Investment Opportunities in the Inland Water Ways in Nigeria. The Dredging of the River Niger has been COMPLETED while some River Ports have also been completed(others are at different stages of completion). The River Benue is also been dredged.

While the benefits of this development especially with the equally important works going on in the Railways and Ports cannot be overemphasized , still most Nigerians are not aware it talk less of the knowing the opportunities therein.

DREDGING OF RIVER NIGER: Investment Opportunities for Nigerians

Sir Philip Egeolu is an economist and maritime consultant. He writes from Lagos.

The Federal Government, to develop and promote inland water transport, awarded contracts to reputable and seasoned dredging contractors to dredge the River Niger. The Federal Ministry of Transport, which this responsibility and task was vested upon, took it with all seriousness to ensure this dream was actualised. The National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA), the government parastatal on ground, worked tirelessly day and night supervising the contractors to ensure the jobs tautology are executed in line with the contract agreements. To meet the deadline, and to have the job properly done, the dredging was divided into lots and awarded to different contractors. Today the jobs are nearing completion.
Inland water transport dates back to the colonial era. Then our colonial masters used this mode of transport for their expeditions, political, administrative and trading activities.
Over the past years, emphasis has been mainly on road network and transportation development. A lot of pressure has been put on our roads because of the daily heavy passenger and cargo traffic. This has also led to a loss of man-hours. Water transportation is cheap, time-saving, cost-effective and safer. The dredging of the River Niger would now be a bridge between the northern and southern parts of the country.

The Federal Government has fulfilled its civic responsibility by dredging the River Niger. Nigerians should now fulfill their own responsibilities by investing and developing the inland water transport business and other support services. The market is there, both passenger and cargo traffic.
The Nigerian Cabotage Act has created an enabling business environment for Nigerians. They should invest in passenger boats, ferries, different sizes of tug boats, self-propelled barges of different tonnage for the transportation of dry and wet cargo, fishing trawlers, and supply boats. Others include ship chandling, bunkering of boats and vessels, supply of safety equipment and wears, diving services, warehousing and logistics services, equipment leasing, and marine insurance services They should in addition invest in ship and boat building yards, ship and boat repair yards, jetties, and river ports.

NIWA should start sensitizing Nigerians on the need to use water transport, and also for Nigerians to invest in this yet-unexploited, but very viable sub-sector. Local governments where the River Niger flows through should take this unique opportunity and invest in water transport business and allied businesses, likewise the state governments. They include Bayelsa, Rivers, Delta, Edo, Kwara, Imo, Anambra, Kogi, Niger, Benue, and Kebbi states.
The Bank of Industry (BOI), commercial banks and finance houses should invest in water transport business and in addition assist genuine Nigerians willing to invest in this sub- sector. Investment could be small-scale, medium-scale, or large-scale and can start from =N=500,000 to millions of naira.

Nigerians should also be encouraged to partner with foreign investors. The Nigerian Investment Promotion Council (NIPC), the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), and NlWA should attract foreign investors to partner with genuine Nigerian investors.
Inland water transport would bring about infrastructural and structural development across the nation. In addition, it would generate additional revenue for the Federal Government, in particular the state governments and local governments where the River Niger flows through. It would also create employment, boost economic activities and development of communities and towns on the banks of River Niger.

http://www.shipsandports.org/detaildiscource.php?id=5
Re: Dredging Of River Niger: Investment Opportunities For Nigerians by manny4life(m): 3:31am On Aug 22, 2012
Hmm, isn't it rather disturbing that the river was dredged but to what depth? That is the real question. The last I heard about it, it was dredged about 5ft deep, what kind of ships, or barge will ply such depth? However, I like the ideas he has given-

They should invest in passenger boats, ferries, different sizes of tug boats, self-propelled barges of different tonnage for the transportation of dry and wet cargo, fishing trawlers, and supply boats. Others include ship chandling, bunkering of boats and vessels, supply of safety equipment and wears, diving services, warehousing and logistics services, equipment leasing, and marine insurance services They should in addition invest in ship and boat building yards, ship and boat repair yards, jetties, and river ports.

However, with such depth, little or nothing can be achieved.
Re: Dredging Of River Niger: Investment Opportunities For Nigerians by taharqa: 5:43am On Aug 22, 2012
manny4life: Hmm, isn't it rather disturbing that the river was dredged but to what depth? That is the real question. The last I heard about it, it was dredged about 5ft deep, what kind of ships, or barge will ply such depth? However, I like the ideas he has given-

However, with such depth, little or nothing can be achieved.

I thought the Depth is a minimum of 2.5m(more than 8ft). The dredged river was never envisioned to be used by large ships but smaller ones, Barges, turge boats etc.

I think that the thinking is that huge amount of goods(like Agricultural Goods) and peoples would be transported internally very CHEAPLY from points between Baro in Niger and Lokoja in Kogi to beyond Warri in Delta all year round. Goods meant for Export/Import can join the seaports where the large ships operate. I think what was key for them is the navigability of the route and the commercial advantages in terms of trade that it will trigger amongst the states in the route and between the north and south.

Anyways, the purpose of this thread is to inform people of the work that has been done in this respect(most Nigerians do not seem to know much about this) and the opportunities therein . The NIWA or even the operators of the routes might think it necessary to increase the depth of the river later so that larger ships may be able to navigate through the river.
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=87591:river-niger-now-a-beehive-of-commercial-activities&catid=81:maritime-watch&Itemid=591
Re: Dredging Of River Niger: Investment Opportunities For Nigerians by Zutchy: 6:49am On Aug 22, 2012
Nice one,this will really help in the transportation of agricultural goods once the FG's reforms in the agric sector starts bearing fruit.,thumbs up to the FG
Re: Dredging Of River Niger: Investment Opportunities For Nigerians by Acidosis(m): 7:10am On Aug 22, 2012
Our Politicians will eventually hijack all the deals.
Re: Dredging Of River Niger: Investment Opportunities For Nigerians by Nobody: 7:16am On Aug 22, 2012
Really? I thought fg has long shelved d dredgin contract aside, its good 2 knw gej made sure d project is completed. If u guys are sayin d dredgin ain't deep enof 2 carry large cargoes or 4 large ships to sail, then the aim has bin defeated since we were told that after d dredgin we can export 2 oda countries. Wel investing in dis sector now wil yield good money. Thumbs up 2 fg
Re: Dredging Of River Niger: Investment Opportunities For Nigerians by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:38am On Aug 22, 2012
nne3870: Really? I thought fg has long shelved d dredgin contract aside, its good 2 knw gej made sure d project is completed. If u guys are sayin d dredgin ain't deep enof 2 carry large cargoes or 4 large ships to sail, then the aim has bin defeated since we were told that after d dredgin we can export 2 oda countries. Wel investing in dis sector now wil yield good money. Thumbs up 2 fg

^^^On the bolded: I'm suspecting the whole dredging thing was one big scam....just a chance for a few gov't rent seekers and civil servants to feather their nests.

There's absolutley no reason why -close to a year after the so called dredging was completed- we are yet to see a proper use of the waterways and river ports for transporting goods and passengers.....unless of course the whole project wasn't done properly ; i suspect this is the case.

It's very hard to find a gov't project completed on time and to the required specifications, yet the budget for said project will not only be fully utilised, but would also be outrageously inflated.....afterall its taxpayers money so it can be wasted anyhow.

What should have been done would have been to concession out the whole thing to one company (for say 10 to 15 years): dredging; commercial use; and managing of all river ports along the dredged channels. If this was done, you would then see a proper job done in all respects, as the company would be eager to recoup its investments in the shortest possible time and begin making profits.
Re: Dredging Of River Niger: Investment Opportunities For Nigerians by manny4life(m): 12:58pm On Aug 22, 2012
taharqa:

I thought the Depth is a minimum of 2.5m(more than 8ft). The dredged river was never envisioned to be used by large ships but smaller ones, Barges, turge boats etc.

I think that the thinking is that huge amount of goods(like Agricultural Goods) and peoples would be transported internally very CHEAPLY from points between Baro in Niger and Lokoja in Kogi to beyond Warri in Delta all year round. Goods meant for Export/Import can join the seaports where the large ships operate. I think what was key for them is the navigability of the route and the commercial advantages in terms of trade that it will trigger amongst the states in the route and between the north and south.

Anyways, the purpose of this thread is to inform people of the work that has been done in this respect(most Nigerians do not seem to know much about this) and the opportunities therein . The NIWA or even the operators of the routes might think it necessary to increase the depth of the river later so that larger ships may be able to navigate through the river.
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=87591:river-niger-now-a-beehive-of-commercial-activities&catid=81:maritime-watch&Itemid=591

I don't know what the minimum is, that is why I made the comment "the last I heard it was dredged about 5ft deep", perhaps I could be wrong in the dept but I do know that that river ain't deep enough. What will you be tugging with tug boats? Isn't tug boats meant to tow out large ships into the open kinda like the machines who push back airplanes?

I don't know what kind of barges sail on such low depth, let alone passenger, however, be it as it may, they could really be low capacity one, if there are indeed boat/barges out there that sail on such depth, then I admit my wrong and take it back. My own point is that for such commercialization they expect, I don't like negativity but realistically, it's gonna be HARD.

(1) (Reply)

Where Is Dora Akunyili? / Who Is Scared Of Gej? / ATTN: Threat To Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.