Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,717 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:52 PM

This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. (4248 Views)

Pope US Visit Proves Nigerian Pastors Wrong!!! / What Is Your Favorite Bible Verse And Why? / Bible Says That Yahweh (jehovah) Is Devil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by plaetton: 2:28pm On Aug 22, 2012
We have all been made to believe that the bIblical god Yahweh was an omnipotent god upon whose power, the the ancient Isrealites destroyed al their enemies.
Well, sorry to burst your bubble. Not me, but this obscure biblical verse that is never ever read out in church shows that Yahweh is not as omnipotent as we have been intimidated to believe.

In this verse,it clearly states :

And the Lord was with Judah: and he slew and drove out the inhabitants of the mountains; but he could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron. . Judges 1:19

This is a very significant bombshell. It means that the lord was with Judah to drive out the weaklings of the mountain, but when confronted with superior firepower and iron chariots of the valley dwellers, the omnipotent power of the Lord could not prevail.

Any comments?
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by Pysam(m): 2:45pm On Aug 22, 2012
Go find work guy before ppl find u one wen they start raining abuses at u.this the best help I can give u ma friend
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by plaetton: 2:58pm On Aug 22, 2012
Pysam: Go find work guy before ppl find u one wen they start raining abuses at u.this the best help I can give u ma friend

Meaning??
Why do you bother to waste time on write something that is meaningless.
Who amongst of us needs a job?
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by cyrexx: 3:01pm On Aug 22, 2012
this may come as a surprise to some people that nowhere did the bible say God is Omnipotent.Infact, not all Christians believe God is omnipotent. Surprisingly, the Bible explicitly says He isn't-- it says that God CANNOT (not just WILL NOT) lie. God having omnipotence is probably not an authentically Christian idea, it is mainly philosophical, even though many may be deceived about it.

it is human beings that describe him and give him such qualities.

other qualities humans give God that you cant find in the Bible includes the concepts of Trinity, Omniscience, Omnibenevolence and Uncreated Creator.

you cant find a specific chapter and verse for these qualities of Christian God.
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by LordReed(m): 3:04pm On Aug 22, 2012
No it doesn't prove Yahweh isn't omnipotent. It proves that He was dealing with men not robots.
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by plaetton: 3:10pm On Aug 22, 2012
Lord_Reed: No it doesn't prove Yahweh isn't omnipotent. It proves that He was dealing with men not robots.

Meaning??
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by Nobody: 3:14pm On Aug 22, 2012
plaetton: We have all been made to believe that the bIblical god Yahweh was an omnipotent god upon whose power, the the ancient Isrealites destroyed al their enemies.
Well, sorry to burst your bubble. Not me, but this obscure biblical verse that is never ever read out in church shows that Yahweh is not as omnipotent as we have been intimidated to believe.

And the Lord was with Judah: and he slew and drove out the inhabitants of the mountains; but he could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron. . Judges 1:19

This is a very significant bombshell. It means that the lord was with Judah to drive out the weaklings of the mountain, but when confronted with superior firepower and iron chariots of the valley dwellers, the omnipotent power of the Lord could not prevail.

Any comments?

Na wa o. So with the two names in the same verse, it's absolutely certain to which one the pronoun refers. So, how did your massive intelligence figure out from that verse standalone to which of the nouns the pronoun belonged?
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by plaetton: 3:20pm On Aug 22, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Na wa o. So with the two names in the same verse, it's absolutely certain to which one the pronoun refers. So, how did your massive intelligence figure out from that verse standalone to which of the nouns the pronoun belonged?

I cannot comprehend what you just wrote.
Pls rephrase it in english.
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 22, 2012
plaetton:

I cannot comprehend what you just wrote.
Pls rephrase it in english.

One verse. No context. Two nouns. One, the Lord. The second, Judah. One pronoun. Your conclusion = single pronoun means the Lord and not Judah. My question = Why?

1 Like

Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by Nobody: 3:37pm On Aug 22, 2012
Yet again my brothers will engage these God obsessed mockers and scoffers.
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by plaetton: 3:38pm On Aug 22, 2012
Ihedinobi:

One verse. No context. Two nouns. One, the Lord. The second, Judah. One pronoun. Your conclusion = single pronoun means the Lord and not Judah. My question = Why?

I still don't get you. I did not make this up. It is there in black white in your bible. Perhaps you should be asking your bible.
It says the lord(Yahweh) was with Judah in battle. Did it not?
If you pretend not to understand what that means, then you are being dishonest.
What am I required to prove this time?

If you are confused about this obscure verse, then remain so.I understand.
But please do not try to insult our collective intelligence by trying to edit the words of your god, right in our presence. We are old enough to understand what was written there.
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by Nobody: 3:39pm On Aug 22, 2012
frosbel: Yet again my brothers will engage these God obsessed mockers and scoffers.

I promise, no engagements. Made one point and it seems he's got it so I'm going bye bye.

Edit: Oh sorry, he still doesn't get it. Oh well, it was simple enough what I asked. Going bye bye anyway.

1 Like

Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by plaetton: 3:44pm On Aug 22, 2012
Ihedinobi:

I promise, no engagements. Made one point and it seems he's got it so I'm going bye bye.

Edit: Oh sorry, he still doesn't get it. Oh well, it was simple enough what I asked. Going bye bye anyway.

Yeah. I guess scriptural reasoning has kicked in.
No surprise.
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by MrAnony1(m): 3:56pm On Aug 22, 2012
plaetton:

Yeah. I guess scriptural reasoning has kicked in.
No surprise.
Dude, you have started again with your purposeful misreading of scripture and English.
Would you mind telling us which version you quoted from -this is because the bible versions available to me do not refer to the "he" as God but as Judah. I can quote from them but I don't want you to accuse me of cherry-picking bible versions.
I suspect the version you are quoting from is the ESV but I don't want to make assumptions. So please which bible version did you quote from?
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by cyrexx: 4:06pm On Aug 22, 2012
frosbel: Yet again my brothers will engage these God obsessed mockers and scoffers.

see this two-faced trolsbel trolling an atheistic thread and yet will cry foul when atheists troll a theistic thread.

grin tongue
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by plaetton: 4:09pm On Aug 22, 2012
My brother, whether the "he" refers to judah or yahweh is not even the point.

The Lord was Judah in battle, right? Judah drove out the inhabitants of the mountain, but, could not succeed in driving out the inhabitants of the valley because they were stronger and better armed? Not so? So the power of god could not and did not prevail on the inhabitants of the valley. Period.

The verse means what it says; That Judah could not prevail against the superior military force even when yahweh was with him(or so he thought).

Pls pls do not try to twist or spin this to suit yourself.. You will loose my respect.
The only way you can twist this to suit yourself is by saying that perhaps Judah was mistaken in assuming that the lord was with him that day.
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by cyrexx: 4:20pm On Aug 22, 2012
Amplified version

The Lord was with Judah, and [Judah] drove out the inhabitants of the hill country, but he could not drive out those inhabiting the [difficult] valley basin because they had chariots of iron.

vs 16 -22

16 And the descendants of the Kenite, Moses’ father-in-law, went up with the Judahites from the City of Palms (Jericho) into the Wilderness of Judah, which lies in the South (the Negeb) near Arad; and they went and dwelt with the people.

17 And [the tribe of] Judah went with Simeon his brother, and they slew the Canaanites who inhabited Zephath and utterly destroyed it. So the city was called Hormah [destruction].

18 Also Judah took Gaza, Askelon, and Ekron—each with its territory.

19 The Lord was with Judah, and [Judah] drove out the inhabitants of the hill country, but he could not drive out those inhabiting the [difficult] valley basin because they had chariots of iron.

20 Hebron was given to Caleb as Moses said, and he expelled from there the three sons of Anak.

21 But the Benjamites did not drive out the Jebusites who inhabited Jerusalem; the Jebusites dwell with the Benjamites in Jerusalem to this day.

22 The house of Joseph also went up against Bethel, and the Lord was with them.

KJV

And the Lord was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

vs 16 - 22

16 And the children of the Kenite, Moses' father in law, went up out of the city of palm trees with the children of Judah into the wilderness of Judah, which lieth in the south of Arad; and they went and dwelt among the people.

17 And Judah went with Simeon his brother, and they slew the Canaanites that inhabited Zephath, and utterly destroyed it. And the name of the city was called Hormah.

18 Also Judah took Gaza with the coast thereof, and Askelon with the coast thereof, and Ekron with the coast thereof.

19 And the Lord was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

20 And they gave Hebron unto Caleb, as Moses said: and he expelled thence the three sons of Anak.

21 And the children of Benjamin did not drive out the Jebusites that inhabited Jerusalem; but the Jebusites dwell with the children of Benjamin in Jerusalem unto this day.

22 And the house of Joseph, they also went up against Bethel: and the Lord was with them.

Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by Delafruita(m): 4:20pm On Aug 22, 2012
plaetton:

I still don't get you. I did not make this up. It is there in black white in your bible. Perhaps you should be asking your bible.
It says the lord(Yahweh) was with Judah in battle. Did it not?
If you pretend not to understand what that means, then you are being dishonest.
What am I required to prove this time?

If you are confused about this obscure verse, then remain so.I understand.
But please do not try to insult our collective intelligence by trying to edit the words of your god, right in our presence. We are old enough to understand what was written there.
he has a knack for confusing himself and everyone else
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by Nobody: 4:29pm On Aug 22, 2012
just admit when it comes to understanding the word, you are about as equipped as a cretin in an IQ test. these are symbolic scriptures. what is being portrayed here ? as with all scriptures, if you are not aligned with the words of God, you are exposed and naked and due for a recompense which at that point in time, prior to the gentile era on earth, the bringers of recompense was the tribe of judah. however when it says the inhabitants of the valley could not be driven out because they had chariots of iron ? simply means they are aligned with the word.

proverbs 16 vs 7 When a person's ways are pleasing to the LORD, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by MrAnony1(m): 4:33pm On Aug 22, 2012
plaetton: My brother, whether the "he" refers to judah or yahweh is not even the point.

The Lord was Judah in battle, right? Judah drove out the inhabitants of the mountain, but, could not succeed in driving out the inhabitants of the valley because they were stronger and better armed? Not so? So the power of god could not and did not prevail on the inhabitants of the valley. Period.

The verse means what it says; That Judah could not prevail against the superior military force even when yahweh was with him(or so he thought).

Pls pls do not try to twist or spin this to suit yourself.. You will loose my respect.
The only way you can twist this to suit yourself is by saying that perhaps Judah was mistaken in assuming that the lord was with him that day.
Lol, let us first start with what we know. here is the verse as rendered in the NIV

The Lord was with the men of Judah. They took possession of the hill country, but they were unable to drive the people from the plains, because they had chariots fitted with iron. Judges 1:19.

Now Judah goes into battle, God helps him win the battle and take possession of the hill country but Judah is not able to take over the plains.
The question here is not whether God helped Judah or not. The question here is to what extent did God help Judah?
Omnipotence means all-powerful, it doesn't mean all-doing.

Similar statement
"anony assisted plaetton in doing the dishes. Plaetton did all the dishes except for a few of them that had some stains too hard for plaetton to handle"

This statement says nothing about anony's ability. All it talks about are the limits of plaetton's ability. Any inferences on anony's ability/inability solely from this passage would be arguing from silence.

1 Like

Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by MrAnony1(m): 4:38pm On Aug 22, 2012
Delafruita:
he has a knack for confusing himself and everyone else
Bros, wetin Ihedinobi do you na? Please forgive abeg. grin
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by plaetton: 4:39pm On Aug 22, 2012
obadiah777: just admit when it comes to understanding the word, you are about as equipped as a cretin in an IQ test. these are symbolic scriptures. what is being portrayed here ? as with all scriptures, if you are not aligned with the words of God, you are exposed and naked and due for a recompense which at that point in time, prior to the gentile era on earth, the bringers of recompense was the tribe of judah. however when it says the inhabitants of the valley could not be driven out because they had chariots of iron ? simply means they are aligned with the word.

proverbs 16 vs 7 When a person's ways are pleasing to the LORD, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

WTF?
What a bunch of nonsense. So I lack scriptural reasoning, is that what you are saying? What brand of weed or narcotic do I need to smoke to get this scriptural reasoning?
I'm rolling on the floor laughing.
So it is now symbolic, huh?
That jesus was crucified on the cross for you sins, was that also symbolic imagery or a true fact?
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 22, 2012
plaetton:

WTF?
What a bunch of nonsense. So I lack scriptural reasoning, is that what you are saying? What brand of weep do I need to smoke to get this scriptural reasoning?
I'm rolling on the floor laughing.
So it is now symbolic, huh?
That jesus was crucified on the cross for you sins, was that also symbolic imagery or a true fact?
seems like you already smoked it
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by plaetton: 4:43pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Lol, let us first start with what we know. here is the verse as rendered in the NIV

The Lord was with the men of Judah. They took possession of the hill country, but they were unable to drive the people from the plains, because they had chariots fitted with iron. Judges 1:19.

Now Judah goes into battle, God helps him win the battle and take possession of the hill country but Judah is not able to take over the plains.
The question here is not whether God helped Judah or not. The question here is to what extent did God help Judah?

Similar statement
"anony assisted plaetton in doing the dishes. Plaetton did all the dishes except for a few of them that had some stains too hard for plaetton to handle"

This statement says nothing about anony's ability. All it talks about are the limits of plaetton's ability. Any inferences on anony's ability/inability solely from this passage would be arguing from silence.

Ok. You are quite crafty my friend(in a good way) grin. I admire.
Ok , so god is omnipotent, but , for reasons known only to him, failed to or did not exercise his omnipotence on that very occasion.
Ok. I can live with that, for now.
Kudos.
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by Jenwitemi(m): 4:45pm On Aug 22, 2012
Ofcourse, na. No be now we all know that the bible god is omininothing. But christianity wants us to ignore those little parts. But for where?! Whosai! The spirit that dwells in man cannot be deceived at all. It is too smart, too experienced and too knowledgeable to allow itself to be hoodwinked by religions built on the foundations of lies.

BTW, dem beat am(bible deity) for wrestling sef. I think na Joseph way performed the defeat for one part of the bible.
plaetton: We have all been made to believe that the bIblical god Yahweh was an omnipotent god upon whose power, the the ancient Isrealites destroyed al their enemies.

Any comments?
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by Nobody: 4:46pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Similar statement

Gbam!!! The sweet thing is that the Bible is not even fully silent on the matter. It goes so far as to show that the help given by anony was limited by plaetton's ability to receive. If one reads from chapter 1 to chapter 3 verse 7, it becomes clear what happened there. But I am over-employing grace hanging out here grin grin grin

Edit: It also tells that anony left some of the stains on the dishes to see what plaetton would do with it.
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by MrAnony1(m): 4:47pm On Aug 22, 2012
plaetton:
Ok. You are quite crafty my friend(in a good way) grin. I admire.
Ok , so god is omnipotent, but , for reasons known only to him, failed to or did not exercise his omnipotence on that very occasion.
Ok. I can live with that, for now.
Kudos.
I am not being crafty at all. I am just trying to get you to argue properly. God did not fail. That a person did not do something doesn't mean that he cannot do it.
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by Nobody: 4:48pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Bros, wetin Ihedinobi do you na? Please forgive abeg. grin

Abi o....... I no know when I turn to celeb so o lol
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by Jenwitemi(m): 4:50pm On Aug 22, 2012
Hahahaha! That is all angles covered, eh, anony. Give up and accept that your god is a nothing, a nobody pretending to be what he is NOT and will never be. Omnishege! cool
Mr_Anony:
I am not being crafty at all. I am just trying to get you to argue properly. God did not fail. That a person did not do something doesn't mean that he cannot do it.

1 Like

Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by MrAnony1(m): 4:52pm On Aug 22, 2012
Jenwitemi: Hahahaha! That is all angles covered, eh, anony. Give up and accept that your god is a nothing, a nobody pretending to be what he is NOT and will never be. Omnishege! cool
And you know this how?
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 22, 2012
I don run o...... grin

Plaetton don surprise me by actually giving Anony's explanation time of day. Tight! Up you, man. Ị wụ dachịị cheesy
Re: This Bible Verse Proves That Yahweh Was Not Omnipotent. by Jenwitemi(m): 4:57pm On Aug 22, 2012
In the exact same way you know what you claim to know, through his "Words" aka the bible. wink grin
Mr_Anony:
And you know this how?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dr. Sign Fireman Storms Cameroon, South Africa and Umuahia! / Why Are Most Christians Poor / Dawkins Tells Atheists To "Mock Religion With Contempt," And Ravi's Response

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.