Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej (1045 Views)

2015 Presidential Elections: The Voice Of Man, Prophecies Or Guess Work / Political Bias Of Nigerian Media (Newspapers/Blogs, TV/Radio Stations) / Why Tambuwal's Security Was Withdrawn: He's No Longer The Speaker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by omanzo02: 5:10pm On Aug 23, 2012
ABUJA—President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday emphasised that the Performance Contract Agreement he signed with his cabinet ministers was not to witch-hunt any of them, but to set targets and measure performances.

According to the President, government could no longer rely on the performance assessments of its activities by the media because according to him, the media has been politicised.

To improve performance and service quality
According to the president, the Performance Contracting System was geared towards improving performance and delivering quality and timely services to the citizens, adding that the agreement would also improve productivity and instill a greater sense of accountability for effective service delivery.

He stated: “I read all kinds of things in the media that the President wants to assess the ministers, so that he would know who should go and who would stay. That is not the purpose of this.

President Goodluck Jonathan (r) counter-signing the Performance Agreement and Contracting System document for the Ministry of Labour and Productivity as the Minister, Chief Emeka Wogu watched during the signing ceremony of the document with Cabinet Ministers as the President Chaired the Federal Executive Council Meeting at the State House, Abuja. Photo by Abayomi Adeshida

“We would have done it probably the first week when we came on board but the key thing is that we have given ourselves points that we think we will get at. We believe that if we get at those points or even if we achieve 70 per cent of that, at least it will be better off for our own country. I am quite pleased that all the Ministers have completed the forms.
Not to witch-hunt anybody

“I want to assure every one of you who has taken part in the exercise that this is not meant to witch-hunt anybody.

“It is to remind all of us, from President to Directors General, to Advisers and other aides, that we are representatives of the Nigerian people, and we are accountable to them at all times.

“I had stated clearly during the inauguration of the Federal Executive Council that Ministers are expected to be accountable, productive, transparent and focused.”

Speaking on the role of the media, the president said: “Before, the media used to be the voice of the ordinary people but now, the media is the voice of those who own the media houses and those who own the media houses have private jets and those who own private jets are not ordinary people.

[b]Lampoons media owners

“So the media is now the voice of the powerful people. So, we have to have a way of assessing ourselves.”

President Jonathan emphasised that his office and that of the Vice President should also captured the assessment processes, adding that there should be parameters to be used in measuring performances.

[/b]He enjoined ministers and ministers of state to be conversant with activities of their ministries to reduce areas of friction.

‘The Minister must know everything happening in the ministry, just like the Permanent Secretary, will know everything happening in the ministry.

‘If Minister A does not now what Minister B is doing and Minister B does not know what Minister Ais doing, but the PermanentSecretary knows everything that all of you are doing, the Permanent Secretary becomes a boss of the two ministers and the Permanent Secretary can use your heads to hit yourselves and just laugh at you.

‘I expect that if the main minister travels and I need information, I should call the Minister of State and that Minister of State must give the information about that ministry.

“If the Minister of State cannot give the information about that ministry, then something is fundamentally wrong either from two of them or from one of them.

“If the minister of state travels in a ministry where we have clear responsibilities, I called the main minister, to give me information, I expect the minister to give me information on that ministry,” he said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/08/media-cannot-assess-my-govt-objectively-jonathan/
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by omanzo02: 5:14pm On Aug 23, 2012
This is so true, that is why they spin every story to suit their sponsors and the hope to use the common man for their personal agenda's i.e the fuel subsidy withdrawal protest, facrook report. Na only Seun never buy im private jet ooo.
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by Kobojunkie: 5:22pm On Aug 23, 2012
This from a president who has tried on countless occasions to spin the situation in Nigeria to his favor, not realizing that the truth, no matter how hard you try to cover it up, has a way of revealing itself at the end of the day.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by omanzo02: 7:11pm On Aug 23, 2012
Kobojunkie: This from a president who has tried on countless occasions to spin the situation in Nigeria to his favor, not realizing that the truth, no matter how hard you try to cover it up, has a way of revealing itself at the end of the day.
the spins of the oppositions are worst lol.
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by Kobojunkie: 7:22pm On Aug 23, 2012
omanzo02:

How so? So the lies told by mostly UN-ELECTED individuals are worse than the LIES told by ELECTED Government Officials, in charge of the Security, and wellbeing of Nigerian people? 44

Really? Which school you go sef? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by zeal500: 7:37pm On Aug 23, 2012
The truth is simply bitter. i suggest mr president (or ur spies) to kindly start doing things that Nigerians can see.
Example if you (or spies) dnt mind: if u arraing pple pls we(Nigerias) need speedy judgement instead of mockery on (ja n its judiciary
if u hv erring Ministers pls fire em
if ur Minister for works come on air (AIT) to say that Port-harcourt-Enugu express way is 80%completed, it wud b true
if any body including ur wife mentions 13billion or violates court order u "put ur feet down"
if u set up a committee then implement resolution/findings and not set up other committees upon committees to look into a work already done
Etc
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by omanzo02: 8:49pm On Aug 23, 2012
Kobojunkie:

How so? So the lies told by mostly UN-ELECTED individuals are worse than the LIES told by ELECTED Government Officials, in charge of the Security, and wellbeing of Nigerian people? 44

Really? Which school you go sef? undecided undecided undecided undecided
my school is better than yours, no doubt.
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by Kobojunkie: 9:07pm On Aug 23, 2012
omanzo02: my school is better than yours, no doubt.

Sure! I can tell too by the brain-fart you have emitted onto the pages so far that it is. grin grin grin
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by inspirenet: 7:14am On Aug 24, 2012
hmmm..
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by Super1759: 7:53am On Aug 24, 2012
Kobojunkie: This from a president who has tried on countless occasions to spin the situation in Nigeria to his favor, not realizing that the truth, no matter how hard you try to cover it up, has a way of revealing itself at the end of the day.
junkie is saying junks
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by Nobody: 9:11am On Aug 24, 2012
How true. The 'Lagos/Ibadan' media is now the voice of celebrated rogues like Bola Tinubu and Co. Isn't that tragic?
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by Kobojunkie: 11:25am On Aug 24, 2012
Super1759: junkie is saying junks

Don't worry, I have noticed you too . . . . *** shudders***
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by Vegetablesoup: 12:41pm On Aug 24, 2012
omanzo02:

yes the oppositioning spin is the worstest!
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by Eziachi: 6:15pm On Aug 24, 2012
Thanks you president ordinary person. Who is this we Jonathan spamming about as ordinary people?
Who got 38 NTA stations all for himself?
Who does hundreds of FRCN stations nationwide works for, if not him?
Even some of those media mafians are there at his pleasure, e.g Thisday and its publisher.
Give me a break Jonathan!!
Please spare us!!
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by BetaThings: 9:11pm On Aug 24, 2012
pro01: How true. The 'Lagos/Ibadan' media is now the voice of celebrated rogues like Bola Tinubu and Co. Isn't that tragic?

Super1759: young man.be careful what you say. He is a man of God and you don't have right to judge him or call him names. Dat silly of you.
I don't attend christ embassy but I have all his teachings. he is a good teacher to listen to. Though I detest how his members adore him. But that's their belief. I have my life to live and salvation to win
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by BetaThings: 9:22pm On Aug 24, 2012
pro01: How true. The 'Lagos/Ibadan' media is now the voice of celebrated rogues like Bola Tinubu and Co. Isn't that tragic?

ThisDay, Guardian, Vanguard, BusinessDay - all based in Lagos. Owned by South South People
Channels, AIT, SilverBird, SuperScreen - all based in Lagos. Owned by South South people
Tribue - only national newspaper in Ibadan- Has sworn blood allegiance to GEJ

So which are left
The Nation - owned by Tinubu
Punch - Owned by Southwest person

But all NTA stations
All FRCN stations
All states TV stations in PDP controlled states
All radio stations in PDP controlled states
Fed Min of Information and Min of Information in PDP states
National Orientation Agency
are loyal to Jonathan

But these are not enough for Jonathan - Every media house must bow?
Emerging totalitarianism and dictatorship!
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by Sunofgod(m): 9:26pm On Aug 24, 2012
GEJ - Your woeful performance is what the media has highlighted.

You can roll out whatever scheme you like - but the 'buck' stops with you.

You've been slaughtered in the media - because its what you desrve.

Once you do things that deserve praise you will surely get.

PS: That your 'wife' hasn't helped your cause.
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by Sunofgod(m): 9:29pm On Aug 24, 2012
Is Okonjo-Iweala also subject to these performance measures?

Because if so her head will be the first to roll.

Mrs Incompetence herself - with her big fat lying mouth and IMF biased brain.
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by Mandelaguy(m): 9:31pm On Aug 24, 2012
Who says GEJ is not constructively trying to reposition this country,pull it back from the brink and restore confidence in the masses? He is not afraid to do what has to be done as we are gradually beginning to attest to. Let us join the forces of good against evil,so that the true spirit of Nigeria will prevail.
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by BetaThings: 8:48am On Aug 25, 2012
Mandelaguy: Who says GEJ is not constructively trying to reposition this country,pull it back from the brink and restore confidence in the masses? He is not afraid to do what has to be done as we are gradually beginning to attest to. Let us join the forces of good against evil,so that the true spirit of Nigeria will prevail.
This is a not good enough. Bring the big guns
Where are these guys?
Dedeike
Peacemaker01
Billionaire
BukkyAde
Ifihearam
AdamAbdul
FunkyMallam
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by Mandelaguy(m): 8:51am On Aug 25, 2012
BetaThings:
Where are these guys?
Dedeike
Peacemaker01
Billionaire
BukkyAde
Ifihearam
AdamAbdul
FunkyMallam
Don't try me,or try me to your peril,shame no dey catch you? Try a new trick.
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by Mandelaguy(m): 9:20am On Aug 25, 2012
BetaThings:

ThisDay, Guardian, Vanguard, BusinessDay - all based in Lagos. Owned by South South People
Channels, AIT, SilverBird, SuperScreen - all based in Lagos. Owned by South South people

So which are left

But all NTA stations
All FRCN stations
are loyal to Jonathan

I am beginning to love your history of inconsistency and senseless ranting,gradually reducing yourself to the shades of El Rufai and co,who are opportunists trying to take advantage of every situation or media issue,twist lies and half truths to their advantage,am not surprised,but we will not allow your likes to mate,breed and thrive,mark my words,I will not rest on my oars till I see the last of your type or make you start using your brains before typing anything.
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by dedeike: 9:39am On Aug 25, 2012
BetaThings:

So which are left

But all NTA stations
All FRCN stations
are loyal to Jonathan

Talk about the fallacy of begging the question. Mr Betathings, I expected you to do better than this. What has this your thesis on media ownership got to do with the issues raised by Mr. president. This misadventure can only come from someone who is smarting from an early morning dose of ganja.
Please go back and read the topic. It's not about media ownership but the abuse of press freedom for misinformation and falsehood.

A classical case in point is the daily propaganda and lies that SAHARA REPORTERS have come to feed us. In this forum, we have come to grapple with the harsh reality of being misled into discussing some fictitous topics generated from them.
From their fake report on Patience Jonathan blocking the airspace resulting in Dana crash to their Fake reporting of a bomb that never went off in an Abuja night club, that media group has indeed been a SHOPRITE OF LIES.

It is also an insult on our sensibilities to label THISDAY, CHANNELS, TRIBUNE as pro Jonathan media houses just because they don't give the SAHARA like fictions that suits your fancy.
Re: The Nigerian Media Is No Longer The Voice Of Ordinary People - Gej by dedeike: 9:45am On Aug 25, 2012
BetaThings:
Where are these guys?
Dedeike
Peacemaker01
Billionaire
BukkyAde
Ifihearam
AdamAbdul
FunkyMallam
grin grin grin grin your phobia for truth, and those who vend it, is not properly veiled. So I wont waste my time joining issues with you on this score.

(1) (Reply)

Obanikoro Declared Chairman, Ikoyi/obalende LCDA / Biafra: I’ve Done No Evil To The Igbo – Awo / Obasanjo: Nigerian Leaders Should Reach Out To Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.