Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,400 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:35 AM

Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note (51629 Views)

Important Message About The New #5000 Note CBN Want To Introduce / New 5000 Note To Carry D Face Of 3 NIGERIAN Women / New 5000 Naira Note. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Nobody: 10:11pm On Aug 25, 2012
Amtired:

Ekpo is a Calabar/Ibibio name (Akwa-Ibom)and she was born in Cross river. So she is a Calabar woman
did read abt the woman before u posted. She is igbo. He father is igbo. But she got married to a calabar man whose surname is ekpo. Dnt get it twisited!
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Nobody: 10:14pm On Aug 25, 2012
afam4eva:
Amina of Zaria was not a NIgerian. Nigeria started existing from 1914.

even Awolowo is not a nigerian cuz he was born b4 1914. abi?

1 Like

Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Nobody: 10:21pm On Aug 25, 2012
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Nobody: 10:24pm On Aug 25, 2012
tpapi: dos ekpo sound like an igbo name
jeez!!! U guys shuld at least google nah!! Is that too difficult to do. Damn!! I even made effort to post an article frm wiki yet u cant read. This is terrible...

Mrs margret ekpo is an igbo woman(her dad is igbo,mum ibibio) married a calabar man whose surname is ekpo
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Balyz: 10:28pm On Aug 25, 2012
afam4eva: I can understand Fumilayo Kuti and Margret Ekpo. Who's that Northerner. I've never heard of her in my life. These northerners must think the whole country revolves around them.
Perhaps you would prefer your father's picture on the new note?
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by onyeego(m): 10:30pm On Aug 25, 2012
This Sanusi of a man sef, what is wrong with small stature men grin
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by timniceshg: 10:30pm On Aug 25, 2012
[color=][/color][/color][color=#006600][/color][color=#990000]
alienware: Having N5,000 wont solve our problem, what we need to enjoy this country is strong naira and massive job opportunity, without a decent job or source of income hw will u be able to spend ? They should stop wheat,rice, processed or frozen food importation, build more refineries to stop importation of petroleum products, develop the tourism sector and revive or give life to dead infrastructures. Doing this will resuscitate the naira without pegging it to a bucket of hard currency and only then we can have a dollar exchange for like N10 - N50. We can stop wheat importation thru the use of biotechnology jst like researchers have done in the northern prairies in canada, drought resistant wheat varieties are also planted in the downs of australia,the pampas of argentina and the veld of south africa. IT CAN BE DONE IN NAIJA
smiley
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by ebera(f): 10:39pm On Aug 25, 2012
dayokanu: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti

One of the women elected to the native House of Chiefs, serving as an Oloye of the Yoruba people
Ranking member of the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons
Treasurer and President Western Women Association of the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons
Leader of Abeokuta Women's Union
Leader of Commoners Peoples Party
Leader of Nigeria Women's Union
added 2 the fact dt she wz the 1st nigerian woman 2 ride a car.can you imagine?
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Afam4eva(m): 11:13pm On Aug 25, 2012
mawojuuche:

even Awolowo is not a nigerian cuz he was born b4 1914. abi?
You see why people fail exams. Unlike Queen Amina, Awolowo was still alive when Nigeria was formed, so automatically he was a Nigerian.
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by mity17(m): 11:53pm On Aug 25, 2012
To me those women are icon of no mean order but of what relevance is the 5000 naira note to great Nigerians. what its those is that, it will cause inflation and also causes a fall in the other currency.
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by mager: 1:16am On Aug 26, 2012
Abeg my fellow nigeria make una no 4get 2 put ma mama face 4 5k note. ABeg
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by tpia1: 2:49am On Aug 26, 2012
according to wiki, margaret ekpo's father was okoroafor obiasulor.

that name sounds igbo to me,unless there are calabar people of non-igbo origin bearing the same.

her mother was calabar.

however, what we dont know is if her dad was born/raised in calabar but of igbo ancestry.

someone can look into it and find out more about her ancestry, if its an issue or if you feel the wiki info isnt correct.
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by FreshdudE1: 7:47am On Aug 26, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]
yomz1e:

eh? after reading your comment am beginning to wonder if you even went to any school, and if so what kind of quality school was it? not all schools cover 100% historyof Nigeria. I was taught about Late Mrs Ransome Kuti in my school, even if she did not do anything given us Fela Kuti us enough to justify her as an heroine . Maybe you went to under bridge school and also Mother Teresa ain't Nigerian and she did not do anything significant that alter the course of history apart from been a good charitable person. Hope these information enlightens your mind
Sincerely am utterly dissappointed with d trend dis topic is taking, I tink d issue to delibrate/be of concern to us masses is d extent to which d policies dat foolish mallam at CBN adversely affect our daily life. Nigerians are suffering, network connectivity's very poor yet he's introducing casless policy, non interst bank and lastly d perfect icing wz d intro of 5K denomination. Dis mal is sick, dos he need a HD glass to see dat all dis r nt working Soludo wz way beta to mi had he bin giving d enabling environmnt to work y'ardua. I tire
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by jpphilips(m): 8:00am On Aug 26, 2012
Habybullah: Gambo Sawaba was a great nationalist! She even lost her Womanhood to the struggle! I am not from the north but I ve read about her. You should do same also b4 coming to run your tribalistic mouth! The major question should be "do we really need 5K notes?!" What effect is it going to have on an already failing economy?" Personally, I think Sanusi just wants to go down in history as the CBN governor that introduced the 5K note!

i think its about cash handling. The cost of printing Cash in Nigeria is high so the idea is this;

instead of printing 5pcs of 1000 denomination or 25pcs of 200 naira denomination or 10pcs of 500 naira etc, you print just 1pc of 5,000 naira,
that in sanusi's books saves printing cost.

In my opinion, since cashless is very active, do we need to print extra cash? What is the essence of going cashless if inflationary denominations are still kept in circulation?

Why does all financial institutions not have a guideline on various cashless platforms? That breeds discontentment in the policy, near defeating it. For example
GTB with almost 20% market stake will refuse to transfer to other banks while other banks can?

The truth is this; Sanusi is a confused man.

1 Like

Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by MrWale: 8:51am On Aug 26, 2012
if you wish to get connected to a rich sugar
mummy, just call the helpdesk personnel of
WALEMUMMIESVENTURES on +2348109700577.
We're waiting for your call.
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by DECOtech(m): 3:08pm On Aug 26, 2012
Paul John: If they're so famous, it shouldn't be until I google them before I know what significant thing they've done.
We would have been taught about them in social studies when we were in basic(primary) school cool
Like Amina of Zaria, Mother Teresa ...

My thought though

May God bless you, all the wat from heaven!
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by wisestfool: 7:32am On Aug 27, 2012
Beautiful faces... But with the introduction of this Naira note, lets prepare for persistence rise in [b]INFLATION[color=#000099][/color]..
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by hectorswag(m): 8:45am On Aug 27, 2012
Paul John: If I may ask, what's the special thing these women have done for Nigeria?
Cause I think it's only Heroes and Heroine faces that are put on any currency

Heroine
Definition
1. A woman admired or idealized for her courage or noble qualities
2. A woman noted for special achievement in a particular field.
3. The principal female character in a novel, poem, or dramatic presentation.

From the definition of Heroine, does any of these women have any of the characteristics? shocked

hahaha! GBAM!!!
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by MuyiGL: 11:58am On Aug 27, 2012
Paul John: If they're so famous, it shouldn't be until I google them before I know what significant thing they've done.
We would have been taught about them in social studies when we were in basic(primary) school cool
Like Amina of Zaria, Mother Teresa ...

My thought though

Good thing you said we should have been thought. In case you don't know, Nigeria is one of the few countries I know who don't seem to take pride in their history serious. We hear of people like Lord Lugard before we even know who Moremi was. The government does not do enough. In fact if you Google's these women you may not find out enough because none of the younger generation know enough about them. And who puts all these things on Wikipedia and all over the internet besides those from the younger generation?
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by loganx: 8:45pm On Aug 27, 2012
i know about these women!!!
no doubt they achieved greatness with so little during their time, so did my mother.
the main issue here is...we don't need any fhucking N5,000.00 note!
if he like he can propose the portrait of M.K.O to be on the N5,000.00
do not be fooled my people...why are we even debating this?
the masses of this great country should be preparing to take to the streets if this proposal continues.
Jarus, i read your so called chat with Sanusi, he needs prove that his action would lead to Inflation, abi?
simple; call him back and ask him if he carries any coin around with him or he could ask all the employees in CBN if any of them can produce a coin from their wallet, if he gets a single coin, then he can proceed with his policy..
the fact that you are educated and brilliant doesn't mean you are intelligent...my great grandfather could explain simple economics to make profits from the harvest on his farms than the crop of self serving bigots we have in government.
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by miraclejimmy1: 11:47pm On Aug 27, 2012
to hell with them
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by FSU: 12:02am On Aug 28, 2012
passion007: Margaret Ekpo was from Calabar, one of the few women who were involved in the fight for Nig's independence and working out modalities regarding how the newly created nation should be run However, post-freedom, she adopted the city of Aba as her native home and settled there.There were other women like Janet Mokelu who were also involved. I think its a novel and worthy idea to honor these women and thank for them for their contributions to their fatherland.i

She is Igbo

Father is from Anambra
Mother is from Akwa Ibom
She was born in Calabar and married a Calabar man.
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by FSU: 12:04am On Aug 28, 2012
tpia1: according to wiki, margaret ekpo's father was okoroafor obiasulor.

that name sounds igbo to me,unless there are calabar people of non-igbo origin bearing the same.

her mother was calabar.

however, what we dont know is if her dad was born/raised in calabar but of igbo ancestry.

someone can look into it and find out more about her ancestry, if its an issue or if you feel the wiki info isnt correct.

You are correct. Her father was an Igbo man from Anambra but married to an Ibibio woman. Magareth herself married from her mother's place, hence Ekpo.

http://nm.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=8858

Ekpo was born in 1914 in Creek Town in present day Cross River State to Okoroafor Obiasulor, a native of Agulu-Uzo-Igbo near Awka in Anambra State, and Inyang Eyo Aniemewue from the royal stock of King Eyo Honesty II of Creek Town. After obtaining her standard six certificate in 1934, she was unable to proceed further education due to her father's demise. She decided to take to teaching stint. During this time, she met her husband, John Udo Ekpo, a doctor. She consequently obtained a diploma in Domestic Economics in 1948 at the Rathmine School of Domestic Economics in Dublin Ireland, during the period her husband was taken there for medical attention. When the couple returned to Nigeria, Margaret Ekpo established a Domestic Science Institute where she trained young girls in dress making and home economics.

Her husband spurred her into activism. In 1945, her late husband, Dr. Ekpo, was unhappy about the discriminatory practices of the colonial administrators at the Aba General Hospital. Being a civil servant, he could not attend protest rallies against such practices, so he sent his wife.

Soon afterwards, members of a nascent political party, the National Council of Nigerian and Cameroon, NCNC, addressed a political rally in Aba, with Ekpo in attendance. After listening to fiery speeches by Herbert Macaulay, Nnamdi Azikiwe and Mazi Mbonu Ojike urging Nigerians to claim their independence from Great Britain, Ekpo was converted to the nationalist struggle. She was the only woman at the rally and many wondered why she was there when she should be at home, attending to her family. Undeterred, Ekpo trudged on with her late husband's support.

Through this, Ekpo was able to organise women into a formidable campaign team for NCNC. On the challenges of leading Nigerian women often described as not united, Ekpo said: "There were difficulties, no doubt. You will always have trouble makers who are out for their own selfish-interests; however, if the women know that you are truly working on their behalf, they will support you; they will cooperate with you."

Indeed, she enjoyed a good relationship with Flora Azikiwe and Olufunmilayo Ransome-Kuti. After reading about Ransome Kuti, an intrigued Ekpo traveled from Aba to Abeokuta to discuss the need for women's involvement in politics. Consequently, Ransome-Kuti accepted Ekpo's invitation to tour the South Eastern region to awaken their political consciousness.

Onyeka Onwenu, actress, musician writes about Ekpo this way: With grace of carriage, she stood her ground as an equal of men, representing women resolutely and with great dignity in multiple capacities."

In these multiple capacities, she succeeded in distinguishing herself. Ekpo was one of the three women appointed to the House of Chiefs, in the 1950s. She had earlier represented her constituency in the pre-independence constitutional conferences. She was a delegate to the several constitutional conferences. In addition, she was the Women's Interest Representative to the Eastern House of Chiefs, Nigeria between 1954 and 1958 and Member of the Eastern House of Chiefs, from 1948 to 1966.

Her efforts were appreciated. Her name graces the Calabar International Airport a refectory is also named after her at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.

In Breaking Barriers, her biography, Ekpo likened her father to Okonkwo, the great warrior and wrestler in Things Fall Apart, the classic by Chinua Achebe. No wonder she was an Amazon.
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by ZeusI: 12:27am On Aug 28, 2012
Paul John: If I may ask, what's the special thing these women have done for Nigeria?
Cause I think it's only Heroes and Heroine faces that are put on any currency

Heroine
Definition
1. A woman admired or idealized for her courage or noble qualities
2. A woman noted for special achievement in a particular field.
3. The principal female character in a novel, poem, or dramatic presentation.

From the definition of Heroine, does any of these women have any of the characteristics? shocked
Those faces were put there to delude Nigerian women(especially naive ones) into thinking that govt empowers them and therefore set the brainless masses(both genders, strategically) into a muddled state, making them(the masses) less scrupulous in scrutinizing their swindling techniques, and we are falling for it already. Setting yorubas against Igbos, Hausas against their minorities(like in jos and kaduna states) et cetera. Is that not what is happening to us down-here in NL? While the old gods(the politicians) go on laughing at our folly and feasting at our expense.

1 Like

Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by ibnquasale(m): 12:58am On Aug 28, 2012
Don't really know so much about Ekpo but I think she already had d Calabar airport named after her..
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 11, 2012
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by PaulJohn1: 2:14am On Nov 28, 2012
Don't think there'll be anything like #5000 note again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

100 Innoson Jeeps: Governor Ugwuanyi Trends Online / Supreme Court Dismisses Wike’s Suit Against Tribunal / Donald Trump Supports Nigeria's Twitter Ban, Says He should Have Done The Same

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.