Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,440 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note (51631 Views)

Important Message About The New #5000 Note CBN Want To Introduce / New 5000 Note To Carry D Face Of 3 NIGERIAN Women / New 5000 Naira Note. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by ganye1: 12:13pm On Aug 25, 2012
Arcard: i wana knw if 5n,10n and 20n go comot from naija
Definately dem go comot from Naija just like the other coins and whatver you want to buy starts from 50 Naira.
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Mrchippychappy(m): 12:14pm On Aug 25, 2012
whealthy:
How will a riot be represented on a currency note? Fool!

Look at this Ape. The ABA women riot wasn't just a riot it was the FIRST african movement where women stood up against IMPERIALISTS and it changed the fate of women ALL OVER NIGERIA and West Africa. Had the women stayed docile and allowed the british taxation system then it would have spread to the south west and next thing you know its ALL OVER the country and then next destination = Ghana , Gambia etc. Those women were HEROINES and they did far more than most if not all our most revered Leaders of the past. Our leaders of the past did nothing for the country rather they did things for their OWN TRIBE and sowed the seed of tribalism and partisan politics in Nigeria . If we are going to honour any woman or group of women then it has to be the ABA WOMEN INVOLVED IN THE RIOT. The western world had Heroines like Joan of Arc , Mother Theresa etc . Just like this women the Aba women stood up and did the right thing BUT history has decided to suppress the story of the ABA WOMEN like it always does when a Non-European refuses to be a puppet and stands up against the PUPPET MASTERS(European countries). I am not trying to take anything away from Kuti , Ekpo or Gambo but these women didn't really do anything that LIBERATED / CHANGED the course of Nigeria . Kuti was the first Nigerian woman to drive a car (or so they claim) but did that challenge the IMPERIALISTS ? NO !! The Aba women weren't Harvard, Preston, Yale or Oxford graduates but they did what NO GRADUATE/ EDUCATIONAL SCHOLAR of that time could do. We should put away tribal sentiments and honour these women .

2 Likes

Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Revolva(m): 12:15pm On Aug 25, 2012
I don't care who is on the 5000naira notes and I observed that nigerians are too tribalistic - can't you dumb heads google sawaba gambo and read before you start a tribal war here especially our eastern n south west broders - try and read - I tink I saw her on television when I was in primary school she is not educated but she is a strong activist in the core north - all I wanna know is will 5'k note help the nation? Now who is on the bill

1 Like

Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by garba(m): 12:16pm On Aug 25, 2012
caseless: D rate at which dz tin is goin w'l hav 500k and 1 million note soon considerin d increasin numba of politicians and activists. Cos i knw gej and sambo nid 2 b rememberd too for bringin facebook and cassava bread. Asari,tompolo,boyloaf,gani adam ar waitin.
the founder of nairaland will be on the next one....lolzzzz

Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Nobody: 12:16pm On Aug 25, 2012
luvinhubby: N5000 note when your minimum wage is N18000, NIGERIA IS A COUNTRY LOST IN TRANSIT.
that's about 3 of the notes and 3thousand naira! You go fear minimum wage nau!
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by teetee123: 12:19pm On Aug 25, 2012
Paul John: If I may ask, what's the special thing these women have done for Nigeria?
Cause I think it's only Heroes and Heroine faces that are put on any currency

Heroine
Definition
1. A woman admired or idealized for her courage or noble qualities
2. A woman noted for special achievement in a particular field.
3. The principal female character in a novel, poem, or dramatic presentation.

From the definition of Heroine, does any of these women have any of the characteristics? shocked
My take is that the Nigerian schools are not teaching the youngsters the modern Nigerian history. However I may be wrong. I knew about these women right from my primary school days. Virtually all teenagers in Nigeria now have access to internet on their phone and can easily google these women stories.
I think the interest is more on pinging, night calls, meeting strangers on social media which eventually leads to loss of properties and lives.

1 Like

Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by four4: 12:20pm On Aug 25, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

What did Yaradua do, Ojukwu should have been the most appropriate
. Soon some ppl will be saying AsaRI DOKuBo , Gani Adam and Nwazubuike should appear
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Mrchippychappy(m): 12:22pm On Aug 25, 2012
teetee123:
My take is that the Nigerian schools are not teaching the youngsters the modern Nigerian history. However I may be wrong. I knew about these women right from my primary school days. Virtually all teenagers in Nigeria now have access to internet on their phone and can easily google these women stories.
I think the interest is more on pinging, night calls, meeting strangers on social media which eventually leads to loss of properties and lives.

What EXACTLY did these women do that changed the course of Nigeria ?

1 Like

Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Nobody: 12:24pm On Aug 25, 2012
Inflation.
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by U09ce: 12:24pm On Aug 25, 2012
Is it not dis Fumi Kuti dat is said to be d 1st female car owner in 9ja?
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Agiliti(m): 12:27pm On Aug 25, 2012
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by PaulJohn1: 12:27pm On Aug 25, 2012
yemmy19:
Dullard,if u ar still adamant that u dnt knw Funmilayo Kuti,u ar a disgrace to all JSS student.if ur son or daughter is in d JSS Ω̴̩δω,beg him or her to teach Ɣ☺ΰ ...olooodo oshi
Oga take am easy now cool
I don turn olodo because say I no know them?
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by prettyboi1(m): 12:36pm On Aug 25, 2012
berem: is this just the reason her name should appear on the new note? Sanusi Lamido can't stop amazing me!

With all due respect, C'mon don't be ignorant. (dat's not an insult so pls don't get offended or take it personally.) Go read about Hajia Gambo Sawaba before judging or jumping to conclusions, that wouldn't hurt,would it? I just read about her, & from what I read,if anybody doesn't have a problem with say Funmilayo Ransome Kuti, then nobody should have a problem with Gambo Sawaba because they were women of the same struggle & even became allies for the same joint purpose. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by teetee123: 12:42pm On Aug 25, 2012
[quote author=Ikengawo]no igbo woman, mind you the women's rights movement was almost completely and igbo exercise in the beginning of this nation and even today hence why igbo women are the only ones with rights in nigeria.

Amazing.

Nigerians are too tribal biased. We are been marginalised? We are this we are that. How many tribes do we have in Nigeria?how many have their people on the naira notes. Change your mentality and stop crying

1 Like

Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 25, 2012
Margaret Ekpo
President Women's wing of N.C.N.C
Member, Regional House of Assembly
In office
1961–1965
Personal details
Born
Creek Town, Southern Nigeria
Died
Political party
N.C.N.C
Spouse(s)
Dr Udo Ekpo
Margaret Ekpo (1914-2006) was a Nigerian women's rights activist and social mobilizer who was a pioneering female politician in the country's First Republic and was a leading member of a class of traditional Nigerian women activists, many of whom rallied women beyond notions of ethnic solidarity. [1] She played major roles as a grassroot and nationalist politician in the Eastern Nigerian city of Aba , in the era of an hierarchical and male dominated movement towards independence , with her rise not the least helped by the socialization of women's role into that of helpmates or appendages to the careers of males.

Early life and education
Margaret Ekpo was born in Creek Town, Cross River State to the family of Okoroafor Obiasulor and Inyang Eyo Aniemewue. She reached standard six of the school leaving certificate in 1934. However, tragedy struck at home with the death of her father in 1934, her goals of further education in teachers training was as a result put on hold. She then started working as a pupil teacher in elementary schools . She married a doctor, John Udo Ekpo, in 1938. He was from the Ibibio ethnic group who are predominant in Akwa Ibom State , while she was of Igbo and Efik heritage. She later moved with her husband to Aba.
In 1946, she had the opportunity to study abroad at Rathmines School of Domestic Economics (now DIT Aungier Street), Dublin . She got a diploma in domestic science and on her return to Nigeria, she established a Domestic Science and Sewing Institute in Aba.

Political career Early politics
Margaret Ekpo's first direct participation in political ideas and association was in 1945. Her husband was indignant with the colonial administrators treatment of indigenous Nigerian doctors but as a civil servant , he could not attend meetings to discuss the matter. Margaret Ekpo then attended meetings in place of her husband, the meetings were organized to discuss the discriminatory practices of the colonial administration in the city and to fight cultural and racial imbalance in administrative promotions. She later attended a political rally and was the only woman at the rally, which saw fiery speeches from Mbonu Ojike, Nnamdi Azikiwe and Herbert Macaulay . By the end of the decade she had organized a Market Women Association in Aba to unionize market women in the city. [3] She used the association to promote women solidarity as a platform to fight for the economic rights of women, economic protections and expansionary political rights of women.
Activism
Margaret Ekpo's awareness of growing movements for civil rights for women around the world prodded her into demanding the same for the women in her country and to fight the discriminatory and oppressive political and civil role colonialism played in the subjugation of women. She felt that women abroad including those in Britain, were already fighting for civil rights and had more voice in political and civil matters than their counterparts in Nigeria. She later joined the decolonization leading National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons , as a platform to represent a marginalized group. In the 1950s, she also teamed up with Funmilayo Ransome Kuti to protest killings at an Enugu coal mine , the victims were leaders protesting colonial practices at the mine. In 1953, she was nominated by the N.C.N.C. to the regional House of Chiefs and in 1954, she established the Aba Township Women's Association. As leader of the new market group, she was able to garner the trust of a large amount of women in the township and turn it into a political pressure group. By 1955, women in Aba had outnumbered men voters in a city wide election. [4]
She won a seat into the Eastern Regional House of Assembly in 1961. A position that allowed her to fight for issues affecting women at the time. In particular, were issues on the progress of women in economic and political matters, especially in the areas of transportation around major roads leading to markets and rural transportation in general. [5]
After a military coup ended the First Republic, she took a less prominent approach to politics. In 2001, the Calabar Airport was named after her
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by bid4rich(m): 12:48pm On Aug 25, 2012
Paul John: If they're so famous, it shouldn't be until I google them before I know what significant thing they've done.
We would have been taught about them in social studies when we were in basic(primary) school cool
Like Amina of Zaria, Mother Teresa ...

My thought though

how old are you now?
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by gregg2: 12:56pm On Aug 25, 2012
Magarate Ekpo merits that honour more although FG had since renamed Calabar Airport after her . . . but come on do we really need 5k notes? my answer is NO.
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by PaulJohn1: 1:00pm On Aug 25, 2012
bid4rich:

how old are you now?

I clocked "5" yesterday grin
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Nobody: 1:10pm On Aug 25, 2012
pretty_boi:

With all due respect, C'mon don't be ignorant. (dat's not an insult so pls don't get offended or take it personally.) Go read about Hajia Gambo Sawaba before judging or jumping to conclusions, that wouldn't hurt,would it? I just read about her, & from what I read,if anybody doesn't have a problem with say Funmilayo Ransome Kuti, then nobody should have a problem with Gambo Sawaba because they were women of the same struggle & even became allies for the same joint purpose. Cheers.
I won't waste my bandwidth doing that! I never knew someone like dat existed maybe because she was only known in the north.ransome kuti and margaret ekpo yeah I know their history very well but sawaba? Am just hearing that name.I guess many nigerians as well don't know her that much.
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by mylunch: 1:24pm On Aug 25, 2012
dasparrow:

Google is your friend. Google these women up and read about them and educate yourself. These women were activists who fought for the rights of the oppressed and much more. Is that not enough reason to have their pictures on a 5000 naira note?
Am certain u are one way or another related to them,probably one of their generation,so why should't u be a supporter.As far as this argument goes,they have't done any thing very relevant joooor,this a national currency we are talking about fa.
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by prettyboi1(m): 1:27pm On Aug 25, 2012
berem: I won't waste my bandwidth doing that! I never knew someone like dat existed maybe because she was only known in the north.ransome kuti and margaret ekpo yeah I know their history very well but sawaba? Am just hearing that name.I guess many nigerians as well don't know her that much.

Now you're being sentimental. Anyways,that still wouldn't change d fact that the 3 great ladies have been billed to be on our currency note (even though I strongly think It's a stupid idea to bring a N5000 bill). But just for the fact that "no knowledge is wasted," I suggest you read about Hajia Gambo Sawaba. You never know what just knowing about her might bring you or cost you (however the case may be.) Be a patriotic Nigerian & stop being tribal or sentimental in your choices. "Great Nigerians are GREAT NIGERIANS IRRESPECTIVE OF RELIGION OR TRIBE." I think all 3 women played significant parts in the history of this potentially great Nation. Cheers my dear.

1 Like

Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by stevenosa(m): 1:27pm On Aug 25, 2012
So, the new Naira Note shall be called: "Activists" Naira, PERIOD
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 25, 2012
#50000 naira note? That doesn't sound good to me at all. I don't like the idea.

1 Like

Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by mylunch: 1:33pm On Aug 25, 2012
Sanusi should be smarter than this,an absolutely wrong move.Now this should be tagged sever economy hardship PART 2.
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by YOUNGJOE1(m): 1:33pm On Aug 25, 2012
That's what u guy said...."what is the need of introducing #1000 note", now it's..."will #5000 note solve our problem?"...we should just lay this topic to rest and see what'll be the outcome...
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by chiochio1(m): 1:35pm On Aug 25, 2012
EVEN THIS ONE SELF ADDED IT ANOTHER 3 BOMB FOR VI TYPOGRAPHIC ERROR grin U NEED ENGLISH TEACH shocked
afam4eva:
lol grin It was a typographic error
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Mahattman: 1:35pm On Aug 25, 2012
Is it about the faces on the new note or its utility and reason of creation? That's No 1, No 2, Icons on currency note are public servers whose legendary and selfless services have reached the depth of a nation, they are most times requested for by loyal citizens for remenbrance. No3. They are not selected by race,religious or political sentiment, tribe or gender, it's as natural as the service they'd offer. After knowing the reason for the N5,000 Naira note (Pls cashlite economy be xcluded), I will appreciate the women selected... they are not bad, at least for a country with a tribal and political sentiment, these pick are not bad.
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by VolvoS60(m): 1:37pm On Aug 25, 2012
berem: I won't waste my bandwidth doing that! I never knew someone like dat existed maybe because she was only known in the north.ransome kuti and margaret ekpo yeah I know their history very well but sawaba? Am just hearing that name.I guess many nigerians as well don't know her that much.

^^^^waste your bandwith doing what exactly?
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Habidab: 1:47pm On Aug 25, 2012
It will only de-value our currency in this nation.
I dont know what CBN Governor is thinking about.well they want the rich to be richer and the poor to be poorer.
Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by joaoche(f): 1:56pm On Aug 25, 2012
[size=15pt] you guys are busy talking about who or who should be on the face of the 5000 naira note and ........

Cleary forgetting the impact this has on the nation

im guessing most nairalanders are youths, supposely leaders of tomorow

these corruption is beginning to eat this nation dry,

priority first!!!!![/size]

1 Like

Re: Faces/Images On The New 5000 Naira Note by Nobody: 2:02pm On Aug 25, 2012
pretty_boi:

Now you're being sentimental. Anyways,that still wouldn't change d fact that the 3 great ladies have been billed to be on our currency note (even though I strongly think It's a stupid idea to bring a N5000 bill). But just for the fact that "no knowledge is wasted," I suggest you read about Hajia Gambo Sawaba. You never know what just knowing about her might bring you or cost you (however the case may be.) Be a patriotic Nigerian & stop being tribal or sentimental in your choices. "Great Nigerians are GREAT NIGERIANS IRRESPECTIVE OF RELIGION OR TRIBE." I think all 3 women played significant parts in the history of this potentially great Nation. Cheers my dear.
please am not being tribalistic mind you! What am saying in essence is that most nigerians don't know much about her unlike the other two women. Whatever the case maybe am not in support of the introduction of the new naira note.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chibok Girls Rescue: Military Deploys 2 Fighter Jets, 4 Helicopters In Gwoza / Donald Trump Supports Nigeria's Twitter Ban, Says He should Have Done The Same / "Buhari's Men Kidnapped Chibok Girls" - Fani Kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.