Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche (14986 Views)

10 Of The Most Insightful Books From The Last 100 Years / Books On The Nigerian Civil War. / Free Spirit: The Psyche Of The Genius Of Ben Okri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by Nobody: 7:43am On Aug 27, 2012
Temistatics 007: infact i love literature,why was i not a literature student?[/b]damn!
@OP,nice job

Literature, to me, is just self-expression. Read products of good thinkers that share your style of expression. However, if you want to make a career out of writing, you might need to learn some rudiments of Literature. I just get a a kick out of doing this.

Temistatics 007: [b]I always want to write nice piece like this

It's called passion; feed your passion.
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 27, 2012
utumunta: Brillant!...ds is how we use our God-given talents negatively in nigeria. A youngman spends all hs time bashing hz con3 & gets commendation 4rm his peers.

There's a concept called objectivity, it is required for positive changes to be effected in any society. The intent of the article is understood by many- you didn't get the point because you are prejudiced. Anyway, my intent is not to bash my country.
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by pato405(m): 8:12am On Aug 27, 2012
OP PLS refer mi to other publications you may have...wouldn't mind scouting for your write-ups in local or international journals. if you dont have, i'll pop the question: WHAT R U WAITING FOR?
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by Nobody: 8:17am On Aug 27, 2012
pato405: OP PLS refer mi to other publications you may have...wouldn't mind scouting for your write-ups in local or international journals. if you dont have, i'll pop the question: WHAT R U WAITING FOR?

The idea to start writing popped into my head a couple of weeks ago due to idleness. It's just a pastime. There's only this other one https://www.nairaland.com/1019887/nigeria-never-knew
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by Agiliti(m): 8:18am On Aug 27, 2012
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by BeraBera(f): 8:31am On Aug 27, 2012
1supremo:

I wish you the same o.

Thanks to the Federal Government of Nigeria.
@OP: Which university did u graduate from? I'm pretty sure it isn't a federal university, so then, why are you thanking the Federal Government for your imbecility?
Don't go and get self-employed like other sensible Nigerian youths are doing. Stay there and keep waiting for the Fed Govt to come and spoon-feed you. I guess you've not heard of under-30 entrepreneurs in the country.
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by EyeJ(f): 8:32am On Aug 27, 2012
OMgosh!!!!!! Ds is classic!!!!! Am luvn it....tripple thumbs up........
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by Nobody: 8:37am On Aug 27, 2012
BeraBera: @OP:I'm pretty sure it isn't a federal university

Wrong conjecture

BeraBera: Why are you thanking the Federal Government for your imbecility?

I was giving honour to whom honour is due
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by BeraBera(f): 8:39am On Aug 27, 2012
1supremo:

There's a concept called objectivity, it is required for positive changes to be effected in any society. The intent of the article is understood by many- you didn't get the point because you are prejudiced. Anyway, my intent is not to bash my country.
So then, what is your intent? Since you are talented in writing, why don't you use it profitably to better your lot. Now that you have spent your time and resources writing trash about your so-called perception of Nigerians' psyche, of what profit has it been to you? What have you gained aside from the "applause" from people that think like you?
For your information, I'm a Nigerian, but my psyche is faaaaaaaarrrrrr different from what you wrote here. I think big and I live big, but mind you, I don't have any relation/friend in the govt.
What matters is your mindset and self-orientation!
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by BeraBera(f): 8:45am On Aug 27, 2012
1supremo:

Wrong conjecture

I was giving honour to whom honour is due
Why dont you go ahead and tell us the name of the university you graduated from? Why are you hiding it?
As for your giving honour to whom hoour is due, was it the Fed Govt. that made you not to read your books b/4 & during exams? Was it the Fed Govt that made you not to do your assignments and term papers? Was it the Fed Govt that made you stay behind in your hostel at night sleeping and snoring while your mates were spending sleepless nights burning their candles?
When you eventually graduate with a B.Sc in Imbecility, you blame it on the Federal Government. Mchewwwwwww!
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by Nobody: 9:11am On Aug 27, 2012
Op, I think they moved yo piece to the front page. You could ignore some of the comments if you don't wanna screw up your psyche today. Allow the criticisms, appreciate the commendations, acknowledge the corrections and go yo merry way, bro. Don't agonize over every comment. Not worth it.

1 Like

Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by AjanleKoko: 9:20am On Aug 27, 2012
Ishilove:

So we shouldn't let the writer know that his "some article" is really thought provoking and nicely written??

Make some comment on the write-up, the writer's points, debate the issue he is trying to highlight.
Not just high-fives all round. embarassed
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 27, 2012
BeraBera: was it the Fed Govt. that made you not to read your books b/4 & during exams?
Was it the Fed Govt that made you not to do your assignments and term papers?
Was it the Fed Govt that made you stay behind in your hostel at night sleeping and snoring while your mates were spending sleepless nights burning their candles?
When you eventually graduate with a B.Sc in Imbecility, you blame it on the Federal Government. Mchewwwwwww!

I wrote in the First Person Plural and you misconstrued the article to be more about me than us (Nigeria).
Does this article look like the brain child of a benighted mind? Good luck to you. Where did you get this your idea of "1supremo blames the Federal Government for his personal failures?" You just proved the first part of the last paragraph..... I'll custom-build it for you now.

1supremo: We become aberrant to BeraBera when our “thinking shoes” malfunction or when we impulsively unshod our heads, uncap our feet and swap our shoes’ positions with our cap’s. To BeraBera, we are perverted when we see things in a new light. That's because Berabera is a good nigerian and we are not.
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by Nobody: 10:25am On Aug 27, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Make some comment on the write-up, the writer's points, debate the issue he is trying to highlight.
Not just high-fives all round. embarassed

Sir, I think that because it's the entertainment section, criticism of content is less an issue than criticism of style and skill.

Personally, my view of Nigeria is way more optimistic than the write-up appears to allow. But I have enough literary appreciation to be bowled over by his ability. If nothing else, he has an exceptional command of satire. I love that. I'd read anything he wrote if only for the feelings he provokes with that style.

If he were making a purely political statement, I'm sure the writing would be in the politics section and I, among others, I'm sure, would be saying slightly different things.

1 Like

Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by AjanleKoko: 10:51am On Aug 27, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Sir, I think that because it's the entertainment section, criticism of content is less an issue than criticism of style and skill.

Personally, my view of Nigeria is way more optimistic than the write-up appears to allow. But I have enough literary appreciation to be bowled over by his ability. If nothing else, he has an exceptional command of satire. I love that. I'd read anything he wrote if only for the feelings he provokes with that style.

If he were making a purely political statement, I'm sure the writing would be in the politics section and I, among others, I'm sure, would be saying slightly different things.

I am perfectly aware of where the thread is located. However, I didn't see any criticism of style, content or any form of criticism whatsoever (apart from the sentimental rant embarked upon by BeraBera). I only saw hi-fives embarassed
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by gbokukueba(m): 11:11am On Aug 27, 2012
@Op

In as much as i want to also add that is is a great write up i think you missed a crucial aspect of why we are Nigerians.

We are also the most wicked people on earth and we can do anything to get money including all but not limited to selling fake and injurious drugs, human rituals, drug trafficking, 419, Yahoo-yahoo, corruption (both rulers and the ruled), Armed robbery, Oil stealing, Kidnapping, Piracy, Terrorism(the latest)etc.

It is a nation that have lost all sense of morality and it is only a divine intervention that can help us out.
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by Cuddlemii: 11:19am On Aug 27, 2012
@Berabera, Agiliti & Iheniobi, please stop derailing the thread/trading insults.

If there is need to derail, visit the chat room.

Thanks guys! smiley
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by Nobody: 11:30am On Aug 27, 2012
Cuddlemii: @Berabera, Agiliti & Iheniobi, please stop derailing the thread/trading insults.

If there is need to derail, visit the chat room.

Thanks guys! smiley

Sorry...... embarassed
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by Nobody: 11:33am On Aug 27, 2012
haha....great descp
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by Agiliti(m): 12:48pm On Aug 27, 2012
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by Damilorlah(m): 1:24pm On Aug 27, 2012
this is t o o o much. I wish i'm well read like u, bro keep it up.
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by mengi: 3:53pm On Aug 27, 2012
stiil me: Nice write up

i concur
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by lastpage: 4:27pm On Aug 27, 2012
Now, to those who think the writer is "wasting his time" instead of looking forward, think you missed the point completely!

He tried to convey a very thought-provoking message in a very funny/jocular (satire) manner.
Its funny, thats why many read and said "Hi five"!
Its informative, thats why many said "Thank you"!
Its educative and thought provoking, thats why others 'decide to write a full comment" on it!

Due to different factors (time, schedule, internet connection, using the phone to write, e.t.c), we cant all respond to the same "stimulus", in the same way! Most use the quickest/easiest....Hi five or even just a smiley! kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

If it were a book, judging by the number of 'commendations' it has received (reviews), he would have made a few millions by now!
Now, if you cant "see it as it is", write your own th eway you feel and lets "review it" for you! kiss kiss
Its free, so avail of it. grin grin
We are waiting! wink wink

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by pato405(m): 8:06pm On Aug 27, 2012
who is hidding my post? ^^

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by avicky(f): 11:02pm On Aug 27, 2012
1supremo..U're da bomb!
Bon travail monsieur.

I'm thinking of what i shud do for my country, maybe i shud join d creek warlords.

1 Like

Re: An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche by Cuddlemii: 11:07pm On Aug 27, 2012
pato405: who is hidding my post? ^^

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Lolz, read the rules dear.
No derailing/insults!
Thanks dear!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Other Side Written By Onyeneke Abel / NADIA AND ETHAN (marriage Contract Gone Wrong) / Reading Habits You Shouldn’t Take Into The New Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.