Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,064 members, 7,818,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:35 AM

Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement (18580 Views)

Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion In 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cent Coins! / Samsung To Release Smartphones With Bendable Screens. / Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion By Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Shaw007(m): 10:13am On Aug 25, 2012
Ejiné:

I honestly think the moderators should start banning moorons who keep popping in on threads and asking this dumb question.
Last time I checked, Nairaland is a multi-interest forum, which covers Politics, Romance, Tech, Education, Fashion, Cooking, Design etc.

The more retarrds (like this dumbass I'm quoting) keep derailing and trolling threads with their unfunny garbage about price of garri and politics (like politics is the only reason Nairaland exists), the more the site keeps losing readers because it appears the many idiiotic posters have lost every sense of seriousness.

I honestly call for idiiots who keep derailing threads and boring us with their garri tales to be outrightly banned, not just from Nairaland and the internet, but from touching any electronic devices (including calculators and alarm clocks) for the rest of their humorless, boring lives.
chai!! Bros dOn vex o!!grin
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Goodnessy: 10:15am On Aug 25, 2012
It is quite interesting Apple is making money from this suits and not just fighting. If an infringement is established what is wrong in Apple paying for copying the trade dress or get up (in Nigeria) of Apple. It might look like an alignment in nationality but the courts can validly determine the case. Even though I use a Galaxy, Samsung should pay for its infringement. And someone asked what happens to the existing sold phone that Samsung has been found to have copied. Nothing happens to them, that is the essence of the damages they are made to pay.

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Shaw007(m): 10:18am On Aug 25, 2012
Hmm!! I think this is what's causing d Iphone5 release delay
Apple know d Only brand that cud possibly crash that is samsung,so they wanna clear the air b4 dey release d bOmb.
AnywAys i cannot wait. . .LonG LIvE APple(2 bad stevo is dead xha!!)
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by ayobase(m): 10:19am On Aug 25, 2012
hisblud: So now this infringement thing, it does not make sense? Look at the latest cars, they all look like catfish to help in beautifying and speed of the cars, yet peuguot does not sue toyota for infringement. Why the phones, what happens to other phones, is this judgement not out to discourage innovation, what kind of phones does the judge want samsung to design? Finally what options does samsung have now?

Samsung is pushing iphone into the shade.....they are really losing it!
Not surprised this is happening....but that amount is uncalled for!
Wait a minute pls, is Samsung gonna pay d money and at the same time retrieve the sold ones from the market?
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by ayobase(m): 10:23am On Aug 25, 2012
Ejiné:

I honestly think the moderators should start banning moorons who keep popping in on threads and asking this dumb question.
Last time I checked, Nairaland is a multi-interest forum, which covers Politics, Romance, Tech, Education, Fashion, Cooking, Design etc.

The more retarrds (like this dumbass I'm quoting) keep derailing and trolling threads with their unfunny garbage about price of garri and politics (like politics is the only reason Nairaland exists), the more the site keeps losing readers because it appears the many idiiotic posters have lost every sense of seriousness.

I honestly call for idiiots who keep derailing threads and boring us with their garri tales to be outrightly banned, not just from Nairaland and the internet, but from touching any electronic devices (including calculators and alarm clocks) for the rest of their humorless, boring lives.

U wan give urself cardiac arrest cos of the morons.
Calm down...quoting or answering them empowers....just IGNORE!.
Simple!

2 Likes

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by dmainboss: 10:26am On Aug 25, 2012
This is just unnecessary alarm. The world is moving too fast. Patents and lawsuits can't stop technological innovation and advancement. The Android has come to stay. The best thing Apple can do for herself is to keep being innovative.

Remember how microsoft tried for years to use lawsuits to control the PC market and failed. Why? Because they couldn't defeat their biggest enemy-new inventions. Believe me, according to moore's law, the phone we will be using in 3 to 5 years time will be different from what it is now. So Apple patents will not even be relevant then. It is like Microsoft fighting hard over PC patents in 2012. That would be stupid because PCs are practically dead. Tablets are taking over. In 5 years, PCs will be near extinct just like the old briefcase computers.

That is why I feel sorry for Nigerian telecom networks. Their biggest challenge and competitor will soon be improved Internet bandwidth and they know it. I don't think I even spend up to 1k a month on phone these days. I only call family and for quick messages. Everything else is email, bb, sms, social media. That's what technology brings. New ways and tools that are cheaper, better and effective.

For Apple, they need to start thinking more like google. The future is not sleeky hardware. The future is services, interconnectivity, interoperability and seemless workflow and convergence.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Bawss1(m): 10:26am On Aug 25, 2012
@ shaw007

There is no reason why this lawsuit should have affected the release of the iPhone 5. Apple usually releases its new phones during the last quarter of the year and the widely circulated date of September 12 for the iPhone 5 is in line with that tradition.

Either way this lawsuit has cleared all doubt in my mind that the guys at Apple are shameless hypocrites - they cry blue murder at anything that is perceived to be a threat to their business yet they employ the same copying tactics on other companies.

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Shaw007(m): 10:26am On Aug 25, 2012
Well,4 those who dot understand d concept of a patent

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent

And i'm quite positive samsung knew this,so i don't see anytin wrong in collectIng
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 10:29am On Aug 25, 2012
Samusng na thief thief company.I'm very sure Jobs is laughing his asss off in his grave right now.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Shaw007(m): 10:32am On Aug 25, 2012
dmainboss: This is just unnecessary alarm. The world is moving too fast. Patents and lawsuits can't stop technological innovation and advancement. The Android has come to stay. The best thing Apple can do for herself is to keep being innovative.

Remember how microsoft tried for years to use lawsuits to control the PC market and failed. Why? Because they couldn't defeat their biggest enemy-new inventions. Believe me, according to moore's law, the phone we will be using in 3 to 5 years time will be different from what it is now. So Apple patents will not even be relevant then. It is like Microsoft fighting hard over PC patents in 2012. That would be stupid because PCs are practically dead. Tablets are taking over. In 5 years, PCs will be near extinct just like the old briefcase computers.

That is why I feel sorry for Nigerian telecom networks. Their biggest challenge and competitor will soon be improved Internet bandwidth and they know it. I don't think I even spend up to 1k a month on phone these days. I only call family and for quick messages. Everything else is email, bb, sms, social media. That's what technology brings. New ways and tools that are cheaper, better and effective.

For Apple, they need to start thinking more like google. The future is not sleeky hardware. The future is services, interconnectivity, interoperability and seemless workflow and convergence.
I lOve the fact that u pointed oUt[b]New[/b] Inventions nOt copied ones. . .if samsung comes up with a new design instead of feeding off apple. . .who's gon stop them??

2 Likes

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Bawss1(m): 10:36am On Aug 25, 2012
Shaw007: I lOve the fact that u pointed oUt[b]New[/b] Inventions nOt copied ones. . .if samsung comes up with a new design instead of feeding off apple. . .who's gon stop them??

The fact is that innovation thrives from the ideas of others. Apple which is hailed as as a great innovative company achieved that status by using the ideas of others in new novel ways.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by musty1987(m): 10:42am On Aug 25, 2012
what do u expect from US court. immediately d judgement were delivered, Obama tweeted asking America what was d verdict meant 4 America. Apple is scared of samsung success, Apple will definitely regret der action on this as many pple will still stick to samsung phone which to me is better than iphone. court verdict manufactured in America 4 America company against Koreans company. conspiracy of d century
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by passion007: 10:47am On Aug 25, 2012
Guddy: What exactly will now happen to Samsung's smartphones that are in the market already like the galaxy s2 and s3?
the galaxy s3 is safe.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by jedisco(m): 10:49am On Aug 25, 2012
Although I think Apple is taking this patent war to far, but you won't blame them for trying to protect their innovation.
There are a host of other ways to make good devices without it being an iphone look-alike especially since its known apple behaves this way with their patents

For those expecting massive profit after this from Samsung, its just being delusional. Their sales 'might' increase because of this but not profit.
Samsungs market strategy is based on volume with a little profit margin this is in contrast to Apple which makes alot of profit on each device.

So yes, Samsung have long overtaken Apple in smartphone numbers but are still a long way to go in profit margin with Apple taking about 75% of phone and tablet profit single-handedly.

Also Samsung has to pay Microsoft, Nokia, Apple, Google, Motorolla and a host of others large chunks on each android device made making their little profit even more meagre.

Lastly, any boom from any new or rejuvenated OS wil more likely eat into androids market share. than Apple

The problem for Samsung now is preventing others from following suit in other courts around Europe.

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Shaw007(m): 10:51am On Aug 25, 2012
Bawss1:

The fact is that innovation thrives from the ideas of others. Apple which is hailed as as a great innovative company achieved that status by using the ideas of others in new novel ways.
of coure,i totally agree,innovation begets innovation. . .albeit this does not mean u av 2 create a duplicate of another brand in your name and call it invention,if samsung had at least changed some things in that design and made it look better,we wouldnt be talking abOut this nOw,right?

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by blackbeau1(f): 10:54am On Aug 25, 2012
Samsung shld start making circular shaped fones
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Shaw007(m): 10:56am On Aug 25, 2012
jedisco: Although I think Apple is taking this patent war to far, but you won't blame them for trying to protect their innovation.
There are a host of other ways to make good devices without it being an iphone look-alike especially since its known apple behaves this way with their patents

For those expecting massive profit after this from Samsung, its just being delusional. Their sales 'might' increase because of this but not profit.
Samsungs market strategy is based on volume with a little profit margin this is in contrast to Apple which makes alot of profit on each device.

So yes, Samsung have long overtaken Apple in smartphone numbers but are still a long way to go in profit margin with Apple taking about 75% of phone and tablet profit single-handedly.

Also Samsung has to pay Microsoft, Nokia, Apple, Google, Motorolla and a host of others large chunks on each android device made making their little profit even more meagre.

Lastly, any boom from any new or rejuvenated OS wil more likely eat into androids market share. than Apple

The problem for Samsung now is preventing others from following suit in other courts around Europe.
God bless you. . .this is one thing mOst ppl dOnt KnoW. . .THANKS!!
Its as if samsung thought they were actually gon get away with this knowing fully well they were violating

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by na2day(m): 11:03am On Aug 25, 2012
kingsilly:

GUY WETIN U SMOKE DIZ MORNING

grin grin grin grin
That was supposed to be funny enh! grin
You still dont get the joke
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by jedisco(m): 11:04am On Aug 25, 2012
Shaw007: God bless you. . .this is one thing mOst ppl dOnt KnoW. . .THANKS!!
Its as if samsung thought they were actually gon get away with this knowing fully well they were violating

It was evident Samsung already lost this case from the onset especially with the kind evidence apple put forward. It was just a case of how much in damages

It was also funny that instead of proving they didn't copy Apple, their main argument was that apple also copied others which the jury didn't accept.

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by na2day(m): 11:12am On Aug 25, 2012
What is Google waiting for?
They should sue Apple's ar.se for copying Google’s notification window?
Thief wey dey call others thief! grin
Anyway be prepared for more wars like this! grin

I’m sorry but patents like pinch/tap to zoom make absolutely no sense. What other type of operation could reasonably serve this function? Patents on functions that are imperative to how smarthpones work are just ridiculous

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by tirtimy: 11:22am On Aug 25, 2012
All Samsung has to do is pay for the patent as Microsoft did inorder to avoid lawsuit. Apple spent money on research and where able to get those patent after a new discovery. Other manufacturer just have to pay to use the patent. For example. A company has a patent that once you touch the touch screen of a locked phone, it unlocks. If you want to use such you need to pay. Patents is big money. You will to ask why did Google buy Motorola Mobility for patents and for hardware protection.
Alot of patent argument has occur between Google and Oracle, Yahoo ane Facebook etc
For greater understanding read more on patents because companies do sell their patent.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by tirtimy: 11:26am On Aug 25, 2012
Patents are used for protecting ideas, innovation and research. Money are spent and so if a conpany wants to use your idea, he pays for it.

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 25, 2012
logica: Wow. I didn't think they'd get anything out of this. Well, I expect Samsung to appeal.
i hope so, will be out of place to petition the jury's decision as unfair towards samsung?
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 11:35am On Aug 25, 2012
logica: Wow. I didn't think they'd get anything out of this. Well, I expect Samsung to appeal.
i hope so, will it be out of place to petition the jury's decision as unfair towards samsung, that is creating an online signing against the judgement and will it have an impact against the judgement?
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 11:44am On Aug 25, 2012
Shaw007: of coure,i totally agree,innovation begets innovation. . .albeit this does not mean u av 2 create a duplicate of another brand in your name and call it invention,if samsung had at least changed some things in that design and made it look better,we wouldnt be talking abOut this nOw,right?
that's interesting, what in your opinion would have been changed to help samsung in the design/feel/look department? will really appreciate your input at least.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 11:47am On Aug 25, 2012
tirtimy: Patents are used for protecting ideas, innovation and research. Money are spent and so if a conpany wants to use your idea, he pays for it.

ok thanks for that clarity
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by mrperfect(m): 11:57am On Aug 25, 2012
Many reasons to learn.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by excondido(m): 12:03pm On Aug 25, 2012
the US is only trying to protect its own in this case, as samsung is obviously making more sales on smartfones in the us market.
the samsung tablet was exonorated for infringement on patent because the the ipad is still shiping more device than the less fanciful tablet and that for them is a no qualms.
But that cannot be tolerated on samsung galaxy franchise that have toppled the iphone in terms of volume sales and since the highly anticipated iphone is devoid of any novel feature seemingly they try to give it a soft landing by hurting samsung.

this same lawsuit was dismissed in the Uk and other European market where the UK judge claimed the galaxy is not as 'smooth' as the iphone.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by coogar: 12:16pm On Aug 25, 2012
Bawss1: @ shaw007

There is no reason why this lawsuit should have affected the release of the iPhone 5. Apple usually releases its new phones during the last quarter of the year and the widely circulated date of September 12 for the iPhone 5 is in line with that tradition.

Either way this lawsuit has cleared all doubt in my mind that the guys at Apple are shameless hypocrites - they cry blue murder at anything that is perceived to be a threat to their business yet they employ the same copying tactics on other companies.

but it was obvious samsung copied their design.....apple cannot stand by and watch a rival steal their design and make money with it. that's why it's patented in the first place! samsung galaxy is no threat to the apple iphone - when iPhone 5 comes out, people would forget galaxy 3. same thing happened last year when iPhone 4s made galaxy 2 look like nokia 3210!

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by texazzpete(m): 12:18pm On Aug 25, 2012
Hopefully now, Samsung will STOP copying and stealing shamelessly.

There are other ways to innovate and succeed.

The Touchwiz UI that the Galaxy S used was a straight up clone/copy of the iOS UI

And of course there are numerous other cases where Samsung shamelessly copied

Samsung likes to say this lawsuit will stifle innovation...i'd say it's time they stopped copying and focusing on innovation.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by texazzpete(m): 12:20pm On Aug 25, 2012
excondido: the US is only trying to protect its own in this case, as samsung is obviously making more sales on smartfones in the us market.
the samsung tablet was exonorated for infringement on patent because the the ipad is still shiping more device than the less fanciful tablet and that for them is a no qualms.
But that cannot be tolerated on samsung galaxy franchise that have toppled the iphone in terms of volume sales and since the highly anticipated iphone is devoid of any novel feature seemingly they try to give it a soft landing by hurting samsung.

this same lawsuit was dismissed in the Uk and other European market where the UK judge claimed the galaxy is not as 'smooth' as the iphone.

Apple makes FAR FAR FAR more money from smartphone sales than Samsung does. Their share of the smartphone profits outstrips all Android manufacturers combined by at least a factor of 2.

Unless you can see the future, I wonder how you know the upcoming iPhone is devoid of any novel features?
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by ayox2003: 12:26pm On Aug 25, 2012
Z8: This isn't fair,one can't make a rectangular phone with sliding homescreens without breaking patent laws? Samsung doea every thing plus much more things than apple will ever do[b].apple knows this and are scared of the competition #fact[/b]

God bless you. Fact!

Did you know that Samsung actually supplied some of the chips that was used in making the iPhone?

The last I heard was that they both spent $32million on this case just for Apple to pay Samsung $35k. Lets see what ends the story.

A loss for Samsung but a bigger loss to the American consumer. Its high time Samsung focused more on emerging markets.

Frawzey

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Startimes S-100 Android Mobile TV Phone / Tecno Unveils Phantom AIII Smartphone / How many of you can guess a number of phones while blindfolded? I tried to.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.