Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,980 members, 7,817,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement (18578 Views)

Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion In 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cent Coins! / Samsung To Release Smartphones With Bendable Screens. / Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion By Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by adoniza(m): 12:35pm On Aug 25, 2012
Well I think that these software patents should be reviewed. I don't see why a company should own a patent for obvious designs

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 25, 2012
The Samsung devices affected include the Galaxy S, Galaxy S II, Nexus S, Mesmerize, Vibrant, Fascinate, Skyrocket, Continuum, Prevail, Infuse, Gem, Mesmerize, Indulge, Replenish, Epic 4G Touch and Droid Charge smartphones and the Galaxy Tab and Tab 10.1 tablets, among others. It’s not yet known what the fate of the infringing products will be.

The infringement affected the above samsung smartphones. shocked shocked shocked
http://mashable.com/2012/08/24/apple-samsung-verdict/#809355-Calendar-Comparison
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by coogar: 12:46pm On Aug 25, 2012
texazzpete: Hopefully now, Samsung will STOP copying and stealing shamelessly.

There are other ways to innovate and succeed.

The Touchwiz UI that the Galaxy S used was a straight up clone/copy of the iOS UI

And of course there are numerous other cases where Samsung shamelessly copied

Samsung likes to say this lawsuit will stifle innovation...i'd say it's time they stopped copying and focusing on innovation.

samsung only have themselves to blame....
after educating myself on the extent of samsung's infringement, it is clear to me they are totally at fault. check the damning internal documents that compare the galaxy phone prototype to the iphone, and the fundamental changes made to the galaxy phone in order to better emulate the iphone prior to the actual release date.

apple went on to warn samsung to stop copying the iphone and samsung's refusal to do so. samsung had multiple opportunities to do the right thing, and chose not to. they were just comfortable to keep stealing ideas and made it theirs. google also warned samsung to stop copying apple and they still refused! i believe innovation should be protected!

apple took massive risks dabbling into the world of mobile phones in 2007 - an industry they had zero experience in. they spent billions developing touch screen and the operating system that supports with - they also created an enabling environment that allowed developers to create an individualised solutions for their users. apple also offered licensing rights to samsung considering the strategic relationship they both have but samsung just didnt care......

they only have themselves to blame!!!

2 Likes

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by ektbear: 1:07pm On Aug 25, 2012
yay! grin
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 1:45pm On Aug 25, 2012
Anyways, let's not forget the Verdict only Applies to the US.

There's still a Huge Market out there (Europe, Middle East, Africa, etc) for samsung

@Coogar. Whoa. Long Quote angry
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 1:57pm On Aug 25, 2012

3 Likes

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Shaw007(m): 2:27pm On Aug 25, 2012
jedisco:

It was evident Samsung already lost this case from the onset especially with the kind evidence apple put forward. It was just a case of how much in damages

It was also funny that instead of proving they didn't copy Apple, their main argument was that apple also copied others which the jury didn't accept.
Lol. . .i just wish 'others' wud cash in just like apple didgrin
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Shaw007(m): 2:29pm On Aug 25, 2012
tirtimy: Patents are used for protecting ideas, innovation and research. Money are spent and so if a conpany wants to use your idea, he pays for it.
help me tell them o!!
No mind samsung wey wan use am free of chargegrin
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 2:32pm On Aug 25, 2012

Apple and Samsung Respond to Verdict in Patent Case
Samsung and Apple have both issued statements regarding the jury’s verdict in the long-running patent dispute. The jury found that Samsung willfully infringed on many of Apple’s design patents and awarded the Cupertino giant $1 billion in damages.

Samsung, understandably, is unhappy with the decision. In a statement, the company didn’t pull any punches, saying:

“Today’s verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies. Consumers have the right to choices, and they know what they are buying when they purchase Samsung products. This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple’s claims. Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer.”

For its part, Apple spokeswoman Katie Cotton told The New York Times:

“We are grateful to the jury for their service and for investing the time to listen to our story and we were thrilled to be able to finally tell it. The mountain of evidence presented during the trial showed that Samsung’s copying went far deeper than even we knew. The lawsuits between Apple and Samsung were about much more than patents or money. They were about values. At Apple, we value originality and innovation and pour our lives into making the best products on earth. We make these products to delight our customers, not for our competitors to flagrantly copy. We applaud the court for finding Samsung’s behavior willful and for sending a loud and clear message that stealing isn’t right.”

In the meantime, Samsung and Apple are currently debating with the judge over two non-infringement issues and some inconsistencies in the verdict form.

Judge Koh asked if the two parties wanted to wait and figure out the details on Monday, but both Apple and Samsung want to get things sorted out today.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Shaw007(m): 2:32pm On Aug 25, 2012
hisblud: that's interesting, what in your opinion would have been changed to help samsung in the design/feel/look department? will really appreciate your input at least.
u see thats why they call it invention. . .most inventions are not really invention,they are improved,upgraded invention. . .did smartphones fall from yonder? Did someone just wake up and said,lets make televisions and let them be in high definition(Hd). . .NO

like i said earlier,innovation begets innovation

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Shaw007(m): 2:40pm On Aug 25, 2012
coogar:

samsung only have themselves to blame....
after educating myself on the extent of samsung's infringement, it is clear to me they are totally at fault. check the damning internal documents that compare the galaxy phone prototype to the iphone, and the fundamental changes made to the galaxy phone in order to better emulate the iphone prior to the actual release date.

apple went on to warn samsung to stop copying the iphone and samsung's refusal to do so. samsung had multiple opportunities to do the right thing, and chose not to. they were just comfortable to keep stealing ideas and made it theirs. google also warned samsung to stop copying apple and they still refused! i believe innovation should be protected!

apple took massive risks dabbling into the world of mobile phones in 2007 - an industry they had zero experience in. they spent billions developing touch screen and the operating system that supports with - they also created an enabling environment that allowed developers to create an individualised solutions for their users. apple also offered licensing rights to samsung considering the strategic relationship they both have but samsung just didnt care......

they only have themselves to blame!!!
10 likes!!
#i rest my case
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Shaw007(m): 2:41pm On Aug 25, 2012
HQ: Anyways, let's not forget the Verdict only Applies to the US.

There's still a Huge Market out there (Europe, Middle East, Africa, etc) for samsung

bros na BB get africa o!!
At least 4 nOw xha

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 25, 2012
Shaw007: u see thats why they call it invention. . .most inventions are not really invention,they are improved,upgraded invention. . .did smartphones fall from yonder? Did someone just wake up and said,lets make televisions and let them be in high definition(Hd). . .NO

like i said earlier,innovation begets innovation

sure thing. hope they will understand ie Apple
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by texazzpete(m): 2:49pm On Aug 25, 2012
HQ: Anyways, let's not forget the Verdict only Applies to the US.

They order Samsung to pay Apple $1b and you say it only applies to the US...Are you drunk?
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by tiarabubu: 3:07pm On Aug 25, 2012
dmainboss: This is just unnecessary alarm. The world is moving too fast. Patents and lawsuits can't stop technological innovation and advancement. The Android has come to stay. The best thing Apple can do for herself is to keep being innovative.

Remember how microsoft tried for years to use lawsuits to control the PC market and failed. Why? Because they couldn't defeat their biggest enemy-new inventions. Believe me, according to moore's law, the phone we will be using in 3 to 5 years time will be different from what it is now. So Apple patents will not even be relevant then. It is like Microsoft fighting hard over PC patents in 2012. That would be stupid because PCs are practically dead. Tablets are taking over. In 5 years, PCs will be near extinct just like the old briefcase computers.

That is why I feel sorry for Nigerian telecom networks. Their biggest challenge and competitor will soon be improved Internet bandwidth and they know it. I don't think I even spend up to 1k a month on phone these days. I only call family and for quick messages. Everything else is email, bb, sms, social media. That's what technology brings. New ways and tools that are cheaper, better and effective.

For Apple, they need to start thinking more like google. The future is not sleeky hardware. The future is services, interconnectivity, interoperability and seemless workflow and convergence.

Your analysis is spot on.

MTN is already working towards that by reducing voice tariffs and increasing data cost. Even here in Nigeria the average revenue per user for voice is dropping fast and MTN is positioning itself to the new reality - data. Before others will wake from their slumber they would have made a huge kill
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by na2day(m): 3:27pm On Aug 25, 2012
This isn't all that new for the company.
I believe Apple sued Microsoft in '95 for having a GUI (Graphical User Interface)! grin

Bill Gate's response to that was amazing. The story (told by someone allegedly at the meeting) goes that Steve Jobs held a meeting and Bill Gates was invited. When Jobs had these meetings everyone knew that shit was going to go down, and you didn't want to be there. So Bill Gates shows up and Steve Jobs spends the first few minutes just laying into him shouting and screaming. Gates sat there impassively, and when Jobs was done he responded, “Well, Steve, I think there’s more than one way of looking at it. I think it’s more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it.”

2 Likes

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by na2day(m): 3:49pm On Aug 25, 2012
Reading the report of the verdict doesn't convince me that Samsung should have lost. It only convinces me that the patent system is seriously screwed up. I do support software patents, but only in the context of algorithms or something that requires cleverness, and about how you do something, not the goal of the something. For example, in computer vision I can understand patenting a particular algorithm that does edge detection. I can't support patenting the concept of edge detection.

Most of these items in the report are concepts and obvious. There is nothing clever. Just look at that report. It's mostly just user-friendliness. Is putting the "loading" text in the center of the screen seriously patentable? That's outrageous. Let's go through them:

- Landscape mode should be supported in both directions.
- Move "loading" text for Youtube to center of screen.
- Need to display the number of web pages.
- Display open number of web pages in browser.
- Brighter icon for visibility.
- Calendar icon updates with actual date
- Modify End Call button to be more convenient.
- Add copy function in browser. (Every browser has this function.)
- Magnifying glass like function for typing text. (Perhaps a little clever, but magnifying glasses have been on computer desktops for a long time.)
- Adjust keyboard button sizes and spacing to produce fewer errors.
- Put wi-fi data on one screen
- Auto-link URLs and numbers. (As is done in most text software on all computers, including MS word.)
- Search button in music player
- Add browsing function to shoot to the top of the web page.
- Auto refresh emails when opened. (Like all email programs do.)
- Add "fun factor" when deleting memo. (OK, this one isn't so obvious, but is having a "fun factor" patentable?)
- Add "fun factor" to map pins. (See above.)
- Make icons look cooler but be sure to differentiate design from iPhone

Seriously, what in this list should even be patentable. It's simple user friendliness about simple things like text location and icon sizes. That is, it is just the same old "look and feel" argument that Apple has been trying to force for decades.

The Samsung report looks to me like any report on user friendliness for any piece of software or hardware to improve the next version. Is it patentable if a car company puts a GPS in a car?

Anyone who thinks Apple doesn't have documents comparing their products to competitors, with the same sort of directions, is ignorant. i.e, iOS now has pull down notifications instead of a stupid popup. grin

of course, they do! like the document showing Apple taking elements of Sony products and using them as inspiration in the iPhone. The judge didn't allow Samsung to present that in court. This will be part of their appeal.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by EmmaUG: 4:03pm On Aug 25, 2012
Ejiné:

I honestly think the moderators should start banning moorons who keep popping in on threads and asking this dumb question.
Last time I checked, Nairaland is a multi-interest forum, which covers Politics, Romance, Tech, Education, Fashion, Cooking, Design etc.

The more retarrds (like this dumbass I'm quoting) keep derailing and trolling threads with their unfunny garbage about price of garri and politics (like politics is the only reason Nairaland exists), the more the site keeps losing readers because it appears the many idiiotic posters have lost every sense of seriousness.

I honestly call for idiiots who keep derailing threads and boring us with their garri tales to be outrightly banned, not just from Nairaland and the internet, but from touching any electronic devices (including calculators and alarm clocks) for the rest of their humorless, boring lives.
seconded
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by na2day(m): 4:27pm On Aug 25, 2012
I read this somewhere, i think its very fitting! smiley

If you look at history everything ever related to an art is copied. Musicians copy other musicians and are applauded for it. Painters use the styles of previous painters to help their own works. There is the saying that saying that all stories ever told are really just variations of only seven unique stories. (Overcoming the Monster, Rags to Riches, Voyage and Return, The Quest, Comedy, Tragedy, Rebirth)

I say this because the underlying question is here is what shouldn't be copied? What justifies something being so unique that a company could have the right to the use of it? Are there a set number of unique features that these products are forced to adhere to simply because there is nothing else that works?

Well lets take a look at phones and tablets in general and think about how, if we were a new company and trying to create a product for the market, we could design a tablet that would be the best thing out there under current technological restraints.

So here we go with phones. What should the case look like? Well it needs to be small enough to fit in an average pocket but big enough to see everything clearly. In fact we have such a small space to work with it would be best if the screen takes up the most space possible. Ok what resolution should the screen be? Well we only have two common video formats that will fill a screen completely, 16:9 and 4:3. We should choose 16:9 because it is the most common HD video format. Alright so we have our basic shape, its a rectangle at 16:9 aspect ratio.

Ok, now we need to put the ear speaker somewhere. We don't exactly have the technology to put the ear speaker behind the glass just yet so lets extend the top of the phone as little as possible for the ear speaker. Now we need to decide if we have any physical buttons on the phone. The most important of course is the power button. We can either put it on the side of the phone or extend the bottom of the phone down to compensate. Volume is next, the user needs a way to quickly turn up or down the volume on the phone. That goes on the side of the phone because it is not a common button when the device is in use.

A home button might be useful in case the user is in an app and wants to get out of it. Maybe a back button too. Extend the bottom of the phone down to include these.

Now what is the UI going to look like? The user is going to download apps so they need access to them. We could either give them a text list or a grid view of these items and their icons. Should we give them access to a space where the most common apps are used? Lets put in a quick launch space.

The user is going to download a lot of apps though. How do we compensate for this? Well we should have a user be able to paginate through the said list or grid using touch.

If you got this far I think you can see where I am going. We are currently limited to only a few unique variations in these products. While the art that surrounds these variations can look different, in the end they really are all just the same. It is how a company combines these features and the art to make something unique.

Lets go back to the initial question of what should be allowed to be patented? This is a very tough question because it really is down to what you personally think is unique. I can't speak for hardware, but I can for the design of the software. There is little variation in the basic attributes of phones that should never be patented, such as the much talked about rectangle with rounded edges thing. The basic look of the user interface is limited. If you look at Metro, which is the most innovative user interface as of late (note innovative does not mean better), it really isn't that different from what I talked about before. It is just a grid layout of app icons and text.

I've tried to come to a conclusion on something unique that could be patented but it's hard to do it. Logos should definitely be, but in a world where minimalism is the key to the best experience, its hard to imagine how anyone could design something unique. In the end its really all down to who has the better product. Zynga is a great example. They copied everyone and now they are about to go bankrupt because everyone knew theirs was the shittier product.

It's hard to design a unique phone or tablet. Try designing one in your head. You always come to the same approximate solutions because we are inherently limited to them. Products will sell themselves, and we as consumers should know that copying only helps us. It's all about who combines those copies the best that makes something good, and that's the way its always been throughout history. Logos and product branding should definitely be patented, but we have to realize how not unique some of these features are.

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Ozegbe(m): 4:34pm On Aug 25, 2012
All these infringing devices by samsung will be heading straight to africa
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by softtouch2(m): 4:51pm On Aug 25, 2012
If Samsung is willing to pay for royalty on all his affected products, the case won't have ended like this.
I was laughing when one of the Samsung lawyers beg court to make some of the Apple's patent an Open-source for the public, "because innovation that makes life easy should be for everyone" grin grin grin
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by ugees(m): 5:26pm On Aug 25, 2012
texazzpete: Hopefully now, Samsung will STOP copying and stealing shamelessly.

There are other ways to innovate and succeed.

The Touchwiz UI that the Galaxy S used was a straight up clone/copy of the iOS UI

And of course there are numerous other cases where Samsung shamelessly copied

Samsung likes to say this lawsuit will stifle innovation...i'd say it's time they stopped copying and focusing on innovation.

Spot on! Samsung stole and got caught. fullstop
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 5:32pm On Aug 25, 2012
Ejiné:

I honestly think the moderators should start banning moorons who keep popping in on threads and asking this dumb question.
Last time I checked, Nairaland is a multi-interest forum, which covers Politics, Romance, Tech, Education, Fashion, Cooking, Design etc.

The more retarrds (like this dumbass I'm quoting) keep derailing and trolling threads with their unfunny garbage about price of garri and politics (like politics is the only reason Nairaland exists), the more the site keeps losing readers because it appears the many idiiotic posters have lost every sense of seriousness.

I honestly call for idiiots who keep derailing threads and boring us with their garri tales to be outrightly banned, not just from Nairaland and the internet, but from touching any electronic devices (including calculators and alarm clocks) for the rest of their humorless, boring lives.

Guy, my chest dey pain me oo. Abeg pity the stupid posters.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by lawizle(m): 5:33pm On Aug 25, 2012
xtremeidea: Is this the end of Galaxy Tabs?

Pls is ma galaxy note also in trouble?
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 25, 2012
SimonAndal: This will be bad for Apple, 'cause it's only gonna make Samsung the underdog, and people love underdogs. And it's certified Apple as an evil company. Samsung phone sales will skyrocket. Just watch.
On another note, companys are riches than Nigeria. Lol!

Nah samsung I go buy now. Sorry Iphone. It is like Apple is losing out. Quarrels emanate from less talented competitors.

If you are good, we should find out on the field not in court.

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by techlegs: 5:40pm On Aug 25, 2012
xtremeidea: Is this the end of Galaxy Tabs?
Your devices still works perfectly, it's just that Samsung can no longer sell or manufacture their regular devices with contents for which this law suit was instituted. Buh their already sold devices continues to work.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by lawizle(m): 5:43pm On Aug 25, 2012
Shaw007: Hmm!! I think this is what's causing d Iphone5 release delay
Apple know d Only brand that cud possibly crash that is samsung,so they wanna clear the air b4 dey release d bOmb.
AnywAys i cannot wait. . .LonG LIvE APple(2 bad stevo is dead xha!!)

Which oda stevo die o!!!
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by mhozzis(m): 5:44pm On Aug 25, 2012
PPLE ASKIN ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS TO THEIR GARGETS NOW.

NOTHIN, THE BEST THEY CAN ASK SAMSUNG TO DO IS STOP FURTHER PRODUCTION OR CHANGE SPECS. AGAIN THE PATENT LAW IN USA DOESN'T APPLY TO NIGERIA OR OTHER COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD. MOREOVER THE DAMAGES HAS ALREADY BEEN PAID FOR. SO FORGET THE DESTRUCTION OF PHONE BY SAMSUNG USING IMEI NO. DAT AIN'T POSSIBLE.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 6:30pm On Aug 25, 2012
Apple should give up on its failure to be innovative rather than these claims of patent infringement. We are going to see more claims coming along in the near future on patent-related case than being innovative. This just ignited patent war rather than innovation. I hate Apple this time around for exercising power of jealousy!

On the other hand there are more smartphone makers using same design and Apple has to sue them as well. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. If Apple claimed to be perfect it should consider its camera position in iPhone and message push which are of other companies idea. Indeed, there is case of patriotism been thrown into this case by the judge who passed the verdict. I hope to see more suits come along very soon.

Let the war of patent infringement begins. No more Steve Job's innovative ideas.They died when the genius died
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 25, 2012
ugees:

Spot on! Samsung stole and got caught. fullstop
All those claims exist in many phone-maker products. LG has the same thing. If you look closely you would find out that in one way or the other Apple copy from others as well as others copy from Apple, that is the basic truth!
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Shaw007(m): 6:34pm On Aug 25, 2012
lawizle:

Which oda stevo die o!!!
stevo emloyment. . .did i say...
I mean jobs
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by kq(m): 6:35pm On Aug 25, 2012
Well afterall said and done i would say all these companies are guilty at one point or another of infringements. Earlier this year Motorola won a case against Apple in the EU about an implementation in its Apple IoS for mobile phones that was patented by Motorola. And like one poster said about both Gates and Jobs, " they both had a rich neighbor called Xerox Gates went in to steal the TV only to find out Jobs already did.." . It is becoming harder nowadays to innovate or invent a process without borrowing (or stealing)ideas from others. I am not supporting what Samsung did but hey in my own opinion they are all guilty. And that is why i support open source.

Here is a link to the Motorola vs Apple story
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/12/09/motorola-wins-patent-suit-against-apple-in-germany-iphoneipad-to-be-banned/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Startimes S-100 Android Mobile TV Phone / Tecno Unveils Phantom AIII Smartphone / How many of you can guess a number of phones while blindfolded? I tried to.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.