Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,033 members, 7,818,051 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement (18579 Views)

Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion In 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cent Coins! / Samsung To Release Smartphones With Bendable Screens. / Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion By Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 3:58pm On Aug 26, 2012
Apple should focus more on making better products. Had to dump the IPad for Galaxy Note because it couldn't do some basic things like support microSD and browse flash sites.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by kingsilly(m): 4:09pm On Aug 26, 2012
TroGunn: Apple should focus more on making better products. Had to dump the IPad for Galaxy Note because it couldn't do some basic things like support microSD and browse flash sites.

microSD in thiz tym and age of develpoment..go get urself examined
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by texazzpete(m): 5:06pm On Aug 26, 2012
TroGunn: Apple should focus more on making better products. Had to dump the IPad for Galaxy Note because it couldn't do some basic things like support microSD and browse flash sites.

You dumped a 10 inch iPad for a 5.3 inch Galaxy Note cheesy

You sure you ever needed that iPad?
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by mhozzis(m): 6:19pm On Aug 26, 2012
Looking closely at the pictures of the patent in previous page i must say there exist a close similarity between the Iphone and the galaxy S from the shape of the phone to the pack even up to how the icons look and how the phones were placed in the pack.

I hate to comment on threads about comparism of phones because of the sentiments. I must say here that there is no perfect phone. The best phone for you can be the worst for me.

Personally I dont lick Iphone or blackberry because i feel they are too expensive and over rated compared to their counterpart that have thesame function. But then lick I said earlier its all about choice.

AS A FAN OF NON BLACKBERRY AND NON IPHONE DEVICES I'LL SAY SAMSUNG FUC.KED UP BY TRYING TO MAKE EVERYTHING LOOK LIKE THAT OF THE IPHONE.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Holumighty(m): 8:20pm On Aug 26, 2012
For iProne fans, I have a GOOD NEWS for all of you (read carefully):
These are the most undeniable innovations invented by Apple for
their fabulous product namely iProne:
1. Screen (retina display) supplied by Samsung
2. Battery (1432 mAh), made by Samsung
3. Camera (8MP w. CMOS sensor), made by Sony
4. Overall design & arrangement (form factor and curved corner),
inspired by Sony's Walkman (You're a thief!)
5. Mass production (fabrication) is conducted by a Taiwanese giant
named Foxxconn.
Yes, Apple is the largest revenue corporation in the planet supported
with HUGE inventions. Thanks God, now ev'body could see what
Apple should do.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by na2day(m): 9:36pm On Aug 26, 2012
No one is disputing the fact that Samsung copied apple!
Every one copies!
Sony too should slam apple with litigation for getting inspiration for iphone from them!

“In February 2006, before the claimed iPhone design was conceived, Apple executive Tony Fadell circulated a news article to Steve Jobs, Jonathan Ive and others. In the article, a Sony designer discussed Sony designs for portable electronic devices that lacked buttons and other ‘excessive ornamentation,’ fit in the hand, were ‘square with a screen’ and had ‘corners [which] have been rounded out,’” the document explains. An Apple industrial designer, Shin Nishibori, then mocked up the design, even using Sony’s logo on the back of the CAD drawing.

According to Nishibori’s testimony, his design changed the course of the iPhone project, and pointed it toward the iPhone of today.

This isn’t speculation – an Apple employee copied Sony’s design, circulated it to his bosses, and this evidence was disallowed in court.

From now on, when anyone heaps phrase on Apple’s design excellence and superlative innovation, just point and laugh. Some of us have been saying for years that what Apple is really good at is ripping off other peoples’ ideas and stealing the credit for them with slick marketing. This, right here, is the proof.

Steve Jobs once said "Good artists copy; great artists steal" and "We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas." So it's not surprising that Apple, now gloating over winning in the patent war with Samsung, over the look of its iPhone and iPad might have borrowed the iPhone's design from another company: Sony.

In an Apple's world, Ford would have the patent of:
- Four Wheels attached to a metal structure;
- A metal box with doors;
- Two tires that turn simultaneously;
- A mechanism that allows wheels to stop spinning;
- Rectangular pieces of glass.

3 Likes

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by na2day(m): 9:54pm On Aug 26, 2012
Apple has never been an innovator. Apple did not create any of the markets it is currently in. Desktops, laptops, media players. smartphones, and tablets all existed well before Apple touched them. The original Mac had design roots in Xerox PARC and the Smalltalk operating environment (and I believe Apple hired a bunch of the PARC folks to work on the Mac.)

Xerox had the bright idea. Apple turned the idea into a salable product.

What Apple has been good at is refining concepts. Jobs and Apple had a total focus on the user experience, and it showed. In general, Apple products behave as the user expects them to, and icon clicks, button presses, and menu choices do pretty much what the user thinks they will do. Apple has touted ease of use almost from the beginning, and their focus on UX has largely provided it. The infamous “walled garden” is in service of that approach – Apple is fanatical about UX, and imposes standards apps must meet. Apple users do not see this as a problem, because they can get Apple certified apps that do anything they need to do.

But Samsung fuc.kup sha!
grin grin grin grin grin
Apple’s beef with Samsung is that Apple was selling products, and then Samsung came out with nearly identical products with better specs and at a cheaper price, na sand sand for garri be that naa!
Anyway, Google warned Samsung about it but chinko will be chinko (Koreans too are chinko!)!
Na vendetta be that! grin
On a serious note, all these non algorithm patents should be scrapped! angry

2 Likes

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by na2day(m): 10:25pm On Aug 26, 2012
[size=13pt]For all the samsung lovers and Apple haters, here is something funny from all these wahala![/size] grin

"Best billion dollar ad-campaign Samsung ever had."

I can't make this stuff up

I'm sitting in a Starbucks doing random whatever over an iced americano. While I waiting for my drink, I watched a guy with his friend, pick up a newspaper; and start to remark on the Samsung Apple verdict.

Guy: "Wait, so what they're saying is, Samsung is the same as Apple?"
Friend: "I know, right? Makes me think twice about how much I paid for my Mac Book"
Guy: "Seriously"

Not 10 minutes later, a husband and wife, same newspaper:

Husband: "... Samsung's iPad is the same as Apple's iPad, and I paid how much for the Apple one? Honey, I told you they were a ripoff", after looking up the Samsung tablet on his iPhone.
Wife: "Oh wow," looking at the screen, "... that's a lot cheaper. Think we can return it?"

I put my Samsung QX410 on my table, and started to plug in, when he leans over to me, "Sorry, you don't mind if I ask, how much did you pay for your Samsung laptop?"

"Oh, no worries, it was $700." I replied.

I watched shock overcome his face, like actual shock. He looked at me, blankly, for an awkward amount of time, "Mind if I have a look?" he asked.

So, I obliged, and showed him a few things. He commented on Windows 7, so I opened up my virtual machine of OS/X... By the time the conversation was over, he was ready to kick Cupertino in the nuts, I think.

... Now, the punchline:

I'm writing this post after the FOURTH group of Starbucks patrons have made the connection that Samsung is now the same as Apple. They don't know the details, they don't really care, what they know is Apple is saying that Samsung is the same as Apple ... and with one simple Google Search, you get prices that are basically half for what seems to be the same products -- for nearly everything.

Two of these groups (including the husband/wife) asked me about my Samsung laptop, the second group noticed my Galaxy phone (also by Samsung)... Best billion dollar ad-campaign Samsung ever had.
-Enrique Gutierrez-
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Abrantie: 11:00pm On Aug 26, 2012
Obama should have vetoed the ban on Galaxy Tab 10.1, with Samsung being one of America's largest employers of engineering graduates in Texas.

They also have their main US headquarters in New York, mining in Pennsylvania, Research and Development facilities in around 5 or 6 states and their mobile division is head quartered just outside Dallas. Along with chip works in Florida and Samsung Heavy Industries and construction projects all across the US. They're also building the first and only compressed natural gas containment facility in Canada at a cost of 55 Billion Dollars! This is no iToy or iCrap company like Apple. They built The Burj Dubai, tallest skyscrapper and a big majority of offshore oil platforms, including the largest in the World!

Apple's win of this asinine lawsuit is at America and Apple's expense. Samsung's should suspend operations in Austin, Texas.

Samsung is already working with China to build their first World Class Semi-conductor plant in that country. To the tune of 6 Billion USD there in just one venture this year. They know that they must be on the right side of the Chinese, since they are now the largest smartphone market in the World topping America. Apple is barely a blip in that market where Samsung is #1 followed by Nokia and Chinese ZTE and others.

Do the judges and jury who worked these cases realize this? I don't think so. Thousands of top paid engineering jobs would leave America and I don't think even Apple realizes what that means. Samsung leases all their space in Austin, Texas, besides loaning them many engineers. The effects would be catastrophic to the State of Texas alone should Samsung decide to take drastic actions with this verdict. We're not talking about just anyone being able to make these chips. Apple would have to change from Samsung/IBM Gate First HKMG process to Intel/TSMC's Gate Last process over night and that's around a 8 to 9 month redesign at least!

Simply put, Samsung can cripple Apple in a flash if it wants to.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by mhozzis(m): 7:08am On Aug 27, 2012
[quote author=na2day!][size=13pt]
Guy: "Wait, so what they're saying is, Samsung is the same as Apple?"
[/size] grin
YES BRO AND SAMSUNG IS CHEAPER TOO
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by ade80: 9:22am On Aug 27, 2012
Holumighty: Please, can someone tell me why i-shit guyz want to have the whole world in their hands forever, they have fooled the world enough,

To me there is nothing spectacular in their product that no google has not brought to us via android [b]OS, Now Samsung has been able roll out more classy and affodible device in the last [/b]12month and this has really crashed prices of smartphones as competition get stiffer amongst the manufacturers.

LG P970 is a clone of I phone and galaxy SII and the i-shit guys didn't do anything .

Yes it is cheaper cause they stole everything needed for the phone instead of researching..
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Bawss1(m): 9:57am On Aug 27, 2012
Instead of lauding Apple for this victory (or boohooing Samsung for their loss) consumers should call for a review of the existing patent laws. As they are now, patents are a government granted monopoly which companies exploit unfairly at the expense of innovation. The wordings of the patent law (novelty and non-obviousness) are sometimes questioned considering the types of patents issued these days and what results is a situation like this Apple/Samsung lawsuit. This verdict may well likely herald the birthing of hundreds of patent trolls - entities that exists solely for the purpose of profiting from all manners of ridiculous infringements.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by texazzpete(m): 11:26am On Aug 27, 2012
Holumighty: For iProne fans, I have a GOOD NEWS for all of you (read carefully):
These are the most undeniable innovations invented by Apple for
their fabulous product namely iProne:
1. Screen (retina display) supplied by Samsung
2. Battery (1432 mAh), made by Samsung
3. Camera (8MP w. CMOS sensor), made by Sony
4. Overall design & arrangement (form factor and curved corner),
inspired by Sony's Walkman (You're a thief!)
5. Mass production (fabrication) is conducted by a Taiwanese giant
named Foxxconn.
Yes, Apple is the largest revenue corporation in the planet supported
with HUGE inventions. Thanks God, now ev'body could see what
Apple should do.

The iPhone screen is made by LG. The Battery does not come from Samsung. You see how brainless you are?

Everything in the iPhone is DESIGNED by Apple in Cupertino. That's where the innovation is, not in Samsung where the Korean giants make and supply parts on order to Apple's specifications and definitely not at Foxconn where the housing is put together and the phone assembled.

You people need to give it a rest. Samsung DID rip off Apple for the Galaxy S in 2010...and it was done deliberately.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by coogar: 11:31am On Aug 27, 2012
texazzpete:

The iPhone screen is made by LG. The Battery does not come from Samsung. You see how brainless you are?

Everything in the iPhone is DESIGNED by Apple in Cupertino. That's where the innovation is, not in Samsung where the Korean giants make and supply parts on order to Apple's specifications and definitely not at Foxconn where the housing is put together and the phone assembled.

You people need to give it a rest. Samsung DID rip off Apple for the Galaxy S in 2010...and it was done deliberately.

the tool does not understand the difference between the theft of an intellectual property and apple making orders from rival companies!
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Paxt: 12:46pm On Aug 27, 2012
Spambot got me earlier, dunno if it will me post this video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:46pm On Aug 27, 2012
interesting....

if only samsung would employ me as a consultant, i think i have a few ideas on how to sort out this mess.

anyway, since Apple has opened the door, id like to see the same district court recant itself if and when Sony and Google decide to do the EXACT SAME THING Apple has done and make out a case on the SAME PRINCIPLE. the ammo is there waiting, and quite a lot of it was revealed during this trial

BTW, @ Na2day do u still have the link to that 1phone 4 AD on youtube? kindly embed it here, so some of us can have an idea what is really going on.

its ridiculous that Apple is towing the moral high line here, when all they do is practically the same thing, just with more polish. i guess its simply a case of im a better thief than you are.

I simply cannot wait for apple to try file and assert patents in china or anywhere in asia. BTW if Samsung Galaxy Lines are clones, what will you call MEIZU and MIUI? grin grin grin grin

Serves Samsung right anyway, with that their ghastly Touchwiz UI. we kept on telling them, but they would not listen. on that S1 the touchwiz was such a fooked up Hog, mcheew

Besides this primarily affects the American Market. goodluck to Sammy. here is to even cheaper flagships from samsung for us all jare wink grin grin

but Samsung had $12.1 billion in profit on $149 billion in revenue last year. Apple had even more.

The money is basically meaningless to either Apple or to Samsung except in terms of PR maybe.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by drufense(m): 4:52pm On Aug 27, 2012
†̥ђe̶̲̥̅ following links to an interesting read on ð trial with a focus on how ð jury may have messed up ℓn̶̲̥̅ coming to its conclusion on which patents were infringed upon by which company and how much compensation fø̲̣я̅ ð infringement was fair:
www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2012082510525390
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 10:06pm On Aug 27, 2012
texazzpete:

Can you all see why I detest arguing with uninformed people here on Nairaland? They know nothing and from their ignorance they spout brainless comebacks with zero logic.

Read this and weep

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/16/us-samsung-chips-idUSBRE84F0BT20120516

Samsung has several divisions. For the divisions that handle flash memory and chipset design, Apple is BY FAR their single largest customer and represents a significant source of revenue for Samsung. Just on the RUMOUR that Apple was planning to take some business away from them, Samsung lost $10billion from their market value as their shares fell.

Please always defer to my knowledge when it comes to matters concerning tech news. All these johnny-just-come fandroids on Nairaland will never let anybody hear word. Apple fanboy ke, where were you when I was using the G1? When I picked up a HTC Magic for my Wife? Where were you when I was loading up Jellybean on my Galaxy S III last night?

Just use this sunday to pray for Samsung so they actually take time out to innovate instead of copying and cloning.
Please, you too are very myopic. The consequence is going to have effect on both sides. $10 billion dollars immediate effect and forget the long term trouble for Apple. Japanese product comes at a high price thereby increasing Apple production cost and other things like difference in chip tech,etc.

INDEED, THERE IS NO SINGLE EVIDENCE FROM YOUR LINK SOMETHING LIKE THAT HAPPENED!

Whatever that means to you Apple is not the lifeblood of Samsung and can never be as you are portraying it to look like in your over-exaggerated comment.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 10:32pm On Aug 27, 2012
kingsilly:

microSD in thiz tym and age of develpoment..go get urself examined

Yes, microSD. Nothing beats it in moving large files across devices. Moving 1GB data using Dropbox will finish your internet data and take forever here. Got off ur high horse. Some people do more than fb online.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 10:37pm On Aug 27, 2012
texazzpete:

You dumped a 10 inch iPad for a 5.3 inch Galaxy Note cheesy

You sure you ever needed that iPad?

Ipad turned out to be too big. I can go anywhere with the Note without it looking out of place and it pretty much does all the iPad does and some more. The battery life on the Note is worse though- barely lasts a full day of heavy use.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 10:38pm On Aug 27, 2012
TroGunn:

Yes, microSD. Nothing beats it in moving large files across devices. Moving 1GB data using Dropbox will finish your internet data and take forever here. Got off ur high horse. Some people do more than fb online.
Thank you bro, for debunking that myth of a thing some people are passing around about microSD.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 10:43pm On Aug 27, 2012
texazzpete:

They order Samsung to pay Apple $1b and you say it only applies to the US...Are you drunk?

In the event they ban sales of the devices, was what I was referring to

"In a statement after the verdict, Samsung said in part: "Today's verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies."

Read and think before hitting the Reply button.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 27, 2012
all4naija: Please, you too are very myopic. The consequence is going to have effect on both sides. $10 billion dollars immediate effect and forget the long term trouble for Apple. Japanese product comes at a high price thereby increasing Apple production cost and other things like difference in chip tech,etc.

INDEED, THERE IS NO SINGLE EVIDENCE FROM YOUR LINK SOMETHING LIKE THAT HAPPENED!

Whatever that means to you Apple is not the lifeblood of Samsung and can never be as you are portraying it to look like in your over-exaggerated comment.

True. Apple won't shake Samsung or Android much. Samsung and Android in general is growing faster than Apple, hence the endless lawsuits.

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Abrantie: 11:09pm On Aug 27, 2012
na2day!:
No one is disputing the fact that Samsung copied apple!
Every one copies!
Sony too should slam apple with litigation for getting inspiration for iphone from them!

“In February 2006, before the claimed iPhone design was conceived, Apple executive Tony Fadell circulated a news article to Steve Jobs, Jonathan Ive and others. In the article, a Sony designer discussed Sony designs for portable electronic devices that lacked buttons and other ‘excessive ornamentation,’ fit in the hand, were ‘square with a screen’ and had ‘corners [which] have been rounded out,’” the document explains. An Apple industrial designer, Shin Nishibori, then mocked up the design, even using Sony’s logo on the back of the CAD drawing.

In an Apple's world, Ford would have the patent of:
- Four Wheels attached to a metal structure;
- A metal box with doors;
- Two tires that turn simultaneously;
- A mechanism that allows wheels to stop spinning;
- Rectangular pieces of glass.

Samsung did NOT copy Apple! Samsung came out with no fewer than 3 Touchscreen Candy Bar Smartphone models prior to the iPhone launch.

SGH-Z610 was introduced in January 2006. It was their first effort at producing an intuitive gesture based Touchscreen Multimedia Smartphone. It had a 3.5" screen, rounded corners, horizontal speaker above the screen, and listen to this.... a single ROUND PHYSICAL BUTTON beneath the screen,flanked by two soft buttons. This was obviously preemptive and proves this button style front layout, if anything, belonged to Samsung.

It was white (like many phones were before it), had not one, but two cameras. One on the front for Video Chat that US carriers were not using. None the less, this phone passed through the American FCC doors in August, 2006 and went on sale in September. Though it did not sell well, because of expense, it was a true 3G phone (a year before, Samsung was just selling 2G phones).

It had a metal bezel around the outside edge of the phone and a 3MP camera on the back (a year before Apple released theirs) and both cameras could be used/send pics in emails and video chats of which Apple still refuses to pay Samsung for patents. The Round button which is now referred to as the Home button was had the symbol for a "Play" button used since the 80's on various devices, as is Apple's square symbol used for "Stop" function.

On the F700, they abandoned the round button style for the square or rectangular shape which is still used to this day. Everything Apple uses in their phone's exterior design today has some roots in Samsung's designs that came before the iPhone. So exactly who copied whom? Did Apple's Cart come before Samsung designed and built even the original processors? Or did Samsung not only help in designing and furnishing screens, processors, memory, etc to Apple on top of being the first to use a Single Round Physical Button on a Touchscreen Phone with Designs patents applied for a month before iPhone was even introduced?

SAMSUNG SGH-Z610

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by texazzpete(m): 11:36pm On Aug 27, 2012
Abrantie:

Samsung did NOT copy Apple! Samsung came out with no fewer than 3 Touchscreen Candy Bar Smartphone models prior to the iPhone launch.

SGH-Z610 was introduced in January 2006. It was their first effort at producing an intuitive gesture based Touchscreen Multimedia Smartphone. It had a 3.5" screen, rounded corners, horizontal speaker above the screen, and listen to this.... a single ROUND PHYSICAL BUTTON beneath the screen,flanked by two soft buttons. This was obviously preemptive and proves this button style front layout, if anything, belonged to Samsung.

It was white (like many phones were before it), had not one, but two cameras. One on the front for Video Chat that US carriers were not using. None the less, this phone passed through the American FCC doors in August, 2006 and went on sale in September. Though it did not sell well, because of expense, it was a true 3G phone (a year before, Samsung was just selling 2G phones).

It had a metal bezel around the outside edge of the phone and a 3MP camera on the back (a year before Apple released theirs) and both cameras could be used/send pics in emails and video chats of which Apple still refuses to pay Samsung for patents. The Round button which is now referred to as the Home button was had the symbol for a "Play" button used since the 80's on various devices, as is Apple's square symbol used for "Stop" function.

On the F700, they abandoned the round button style for the square or rectangular shape which is still used to this day. Everything Apple uses in their phone's exterior design today has some roots in Samsung's designs that came before the iPhone. So exactly who copied whom? Did Apple's Cart come before Samsung designed and built even the original processors? Or did Samsung not only help in designing and furnishing screens, processors, memory, etc to Apple on top of being the first to use a Single Round Physical Button on a Touchscreen Phone with Designs patents applied for a month before iPhone was even introduced?

You laziness is breathtaking.

The Apple 'dress patent' photo has been posted in this discussion no less than THREE times and you're still babbling rubbish.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Abrantie: 11:38pm On Aug 27, 2012
texazzpete:

You laziness is breathtaking.

The Apple 'dress patent' photo has been posted in this discussion no less than THREE times and you're still babbling rubbish.

Apple's patent is invalid. It shouldn't have been granted because it is prior art. How can a "rectangle with rounded corners" be patented? Grids of icons were on Palm and Windows Mobile phones prior to the iphone. Even LG Prada, which was launched months BEFORE the iphone, came with grids of icons and was a rectangle with rounded corners. Take a look at the above pic. One could easily replace the "Samsung" logo on that phone (which came before the iphone) with a bitten apple.

LG Prada
... Iphone 4 must have been inspired by LG Prada!

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by na2day(m): 5:43am On Aug 28, 2012
Abrantie:

Ol boy, let's try and be factual, most of Samsung's evidence presented in the case are just smokes and mirrors!
Samsung copied big time, and their devices were so nearly identical that Samsung lawyers had a hard time picking them out in court, and so nearly identical that Google warned Samsung about it.
I'm no apple fanboy, in fact i was secretly praying that Samsung should win the case because i can understand the ramifications, if they don't.
Already, Samsung shares have gone down, Google too, took a hit yesterday while Nokia, imagine Nokia! shares went up!
Google made a statement yesterday
“The court of appeals will review both infringement and the validity of the patent claims. Most of these don’t relate to the core Android operating system, and several are being re-examined by the U.S. Patent Office. The mobile industry is moving fast and all players — including newcomers — are building upon ideas that have been around for decades. We work with our partners to give consumers innovative and affordable products, and we don’t want anything to limit that.”
The main issue still remain, everybody copies, even google still deduced it in her statement, [size=13pt]"The mobile industry is moving fast and all players — including newcomers — are building upon ideas that have been around for decades"[/size]
So Apple the number one copier is angry because someone copied their fast selling product, undercutting their sales, they wants Samsung to stop selling their most popular products in the US. Looks like Apple is definitely trying to get rid of the competition.
Shikena! grin

@4llerbuntu, which iphone 4 ad is that?

Already, the jurors goofed, and there are many mistakes in their award, so its likely that the judgement will be overturned, if Samsung team will be able to pull their heads out of their arse and file a correct appeal!

lessons to learn
1. Don't try and fight the enemy in their territory, how did Samsung hope to win a court case in apple's backyard? the jurors were a bunch of ordinary pro-apple people who didn't really give Samsung's claims fair consideration. Isn't the trial court a dozen or so miles from Apple's campus? And the jury are members of that community. My interpretation is compatible with the faster than expected completion of the verdict by this jury! Even the judge Lucy Koh was unashamedly hostile to Samsung. Remember this is the same case the two have been fighting all over the world and the outcome had always been 50-50! Almost all the apple's claims were common sense things that a phone must have. Never trust the American system, it will only benefit the Americans. How can Samsung get a fair trial in Apples back yard?

2. When you are caught pants down, be ready to fight dirty! grin Samsung was basically on the defensive throughout the case while apple was attacking relentlessly. They ought to have hired the service of cut throat lawyers, like, whats the name of that lawyer that got OJ Simpson off murder rap? yeah, people like that, but they went to court like someone going out on a picnic and they were demolished! grin

i will add others later grin

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Bawss1(m): 7:51am On Aug 28, 2012
I will say this for the umpteenth time here; Consumers - you and I - are the ones who will be worse off as a result of this verdict. We will have fewer options to choose from.

Samsung copied Apple. So what? Apple has been copying/stealing/lifting ideas from other companies since its early days but now in the face of serious competition and with the help of a flawed patent system Apple fights back. In essence what they are saying is that it is OK for Apple to copy others but anyone who copies from Apple must pay. Dirty double standards.

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by texazzpete(m): 8:05am On Aug 28, 2012
Abrantie:

Apple's patent is invalid. It shouldn't have been granted because it is prior art. How can a "rectangle with rounded corners" be patented? Grids of icons were on Palm and Windows Mobile phones prior to the iphone. Even LG Prada, which was launched months BEFORE the iphone, came with grids of icons and was a rectangle with rounded corners. Take a look at the above pic. One could easily replace the "Samsung" logo on that phone (which came before the iphone) with a bitten apple.

LG Prada
... Iphone 4 must have been inspired by LG Prada!

Look, if you have difficulty understanding written English, I can send you a free copy of Queen Primer.

Is the LG Prada covered with Glass? Nope, it's got a plastic, resistive screen and the screen does NOT cover the bezel.
Does the LG prada's screen sit in a manner that the bezels on top and bottom are equal size? Nope
Are the icons on the LG prada phone rectangular with slightly rounded edges? Nope
Does the LG prada have a fixed dock of icons that remain the static as you scroll a grid of icons horizontally? Nope

You're a m0r0n.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 8:07am On Aug 28, 2012
Abrantie: Obama should have vetoed the ban on Galaxy Tab 10.1, with Samsung being one of America's largest employers of engineering graduates in Texas.

They also have their main US headquarters in New York, mining in Pennsylvania, Research and Development facilities in around 5 or 6 states and their mobile division is head quartered just outside Dallas. Along with chip works in Florida and Samsung Heavy Industries and construction projects all across the US. They're also building the first and only compressed natural gas containment facility in Canada at a cost of 55 Billion Dollars! This is no iToy or iCrap company like Apple. They built The Burj Dubai, tallest skyscrapper and a big majority of offshore oil platforms, including the largest in the World!

Apple's win of this asinine lawsuit is at America and Apple's expense. Samsung's should suspend operations in Austin, Texas.

Samsung is already working with China to build their first World Class Semi-conductor plant in that country. To the tune of 6 Billion USD there in just one venture this year. They know that they must be on the right side of the Chinese, since they are now the largest smartphone market in the World topping America. Apple is barely a blip in that market where Samsung is #1 followed by Nokia and Chinese ZTE and others.

Do the judges and jury who worked these cases realize this? I don't think so. Thousands of top paid engineering jobs would leave America and I don't think even Apple realizes what that means. Samsung leases all their space in Austin, Texas, besides loaning them many engineers. The effects would be catastrophic to the State of Texas alone should Samsung decide to take drastic actions with this verdict. We're not talking about just anyone being able to make these chips. Apple would have to change from Samsung/IBM Gate First HKMG process to Intel/TSMC's Gate Last process over night and that's around a 8 to 9 month redesign at least!

Simply put, Samsung can cripple Apple in a flash if it wants to.
apple and judge take note>:-(

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Startimes S-100 Android Mobile TV Phone / Tecno Unveils Phantom AIII Smartphone / How many of you can guess a number of phones while blindfolded? I tried to.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.