Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement - Phones (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement (18577 Views)

Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion In 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cent Coins! / Samsung To Release Smartphones With Bendable Screens. / Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion By Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by na2day(m): 4:47am On Aug 31, 2012
[size=13pt]Google and Apple CEO’s Reportedly Engaging In Over-The-Phone Patent Talks[/size]

According to an exclusive report from Reuters, Google CEO Larry Page and Apple CEO Tim Cook have been chumming it up, engaging in behind-the-scenes talks over each of their company’s intellectual properties. It wouldn’t be the worse idea we’ve heard and sure, we’d like to see Google rise up off the ground like a sleeping giant, crushing Apple with patent violations and injunction rulings, but offensive legal action isn’t typically how Good Guy Google plays ball.

Apparently, the two megacorps are simply keeping the lines of communication open, despite Apple’s trial win against Samsung last week over trade dress and design patents. It was said both CEO’s have spoken over the phone with future phone meetings scheduled for a later time. But it’s not just the chief executive officers, discussions are also being conducted by lower-level officials as well.

So what exactly is being discussed? Well, that can only be speculated. But in my mind’s eye I can see Larry Page making the first move, calling up Tim on his direct line, asking if there’s some kind of mutual middle ground that can be reached. Tim would respond with an astronomical number pulled out of thin air and perhaps that’s when the convo ended.

It’s been suggested Google should simply do what they can to quell Apple and get back to doing what they do best — innovating. I’d be inclined to agree but still, if there’s one thing I’ve learned about trolls from my short time writing on Android blog, it’s that sometimes they can’t be appeased… and a swift ban-hammer is the only way to deal with the situation.

http://phandroid.com/2012/08/30/google-and-apple-ceos-reportedly-engaging-in-over-the-phone-patent-talks/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Bawss1(m): 6:01am On Aug 31, 2012
The last is yet to be heard about this patent battle

Just saw on CNN breaking news that Apple loses patent claim against Samsung in a Tokyo district court.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by texazzpete(m): 7:01am On Aug 31, 2012
na2day!:
[size=13pt]Samsung threatens to sue Apple if next iPhone has LTE[/size]

Well how’s this for a comeback? After being informed that they would have to pony up $1.05 billion for infringing on design and utility patents owned by Apple, Samsung has threatened to use a very important piece of firepower at some point down the line. Korea Times is reporting that Samsung is ready to sue Apple if the next iPhone has 4G LTE.

Samsung enjoys an extensive patent portfolio pertaining to LTE technology, and they reportedly own 10% of all LTE patents currently floating around. Apple has shown a key interest in LTE with the advent of the iPad 3. Because of its arrival inside the latest iPad the tech industry fully expects Apple to follow suit with the next iPhone.

“But why are they waiting for the iPhone if the iPad is out there right now,” you ask. Well, for one, waiting for the first LTE iPhone is probably the best strategic move Samsung can make. The iPhone makes up a lot more of Apple’s mobile sales than the iPad, and Samsung likely wants to land the biggest blow they can.

This is a very interesting development to behold, and it’ll be interesting to see if these supposed threats will change Apple’s mind about using LTE in the next iPhone. But even with the patents to back them up, Samsung could be subject to FRAND rules because of LTE being a standard.

Should the next iPhone launch with LTE and should Samsung decide to sue, it’s unlikely they’ll be able to get a victory of the same magnitude. I’m no patent expert, though, so I’m just going to grab some movie popcorn and watch this one unfold.

http://phandroid.com/2012/08/30/samsung-threatens-to-sue-apple-if-next-iphone-has-lte/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This kind of article would have to come from a website called 'phandroid', wouldn't it? grin

Sorry to say this, but this article is VERY VERY dubious. I'll explain

First of all, no company would show their hands before the event. There's no way Samsung would pre-announce an intention to sue Apple weeks before the iPhone release.
Secondly, any LTE patents would likely be FRAND based...and any FRAND patent owner is mandated to make available their IP for use under reasonable terms.
Thirdly, as the article notes, the iPad 3 comes with LTE. Any software implementation in the iPad will make its way to the iPhone. Failure to litigate for the iPad 3 will damage any case for the next iPhone.

Finally, Apple doesn't make the LTE chip. The manufacturer (for example, Qualcomm) would already be licensing the patents before supplying to Apple. Hence no scope to litigate.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Bawss1(m): 7:35am On Aug 31, 2012
Again I couldn't resist sharing this comment about the Tokyo court ruling this morning. cheesy (Apple lost its lawsuit in that country against Samsung)

Japanese Courts: "sigh, really Apple? You know this isn't going to fly?"

Apple: "Hey we had to try right? Our trial worked out pretty well in America didn't it?"

Samsung: "It's all good because Japan knew what America won't admit. You're full of ish. Our S3s are selling out after the verdict anyways. Show us an iPhone that can do what the S3 does and then come talk to us."

Apple: The S3 wouldn't exist if it weren't for us. It's a glorified KIRF. Suck it Samsung. We can give you 1 billion reasons why the iPhone is better than the S3. Where's our money you hacks? If we don't have a check waiting for us tomorrow....

Motorola: "Google called, they want their notification bar back. RIM is on hold, they want their BBM ripped iMessage KIRF back, the Ghost of Palm left a message saying iOS still isn't better than webOS and Dropbox is in the lobby laughing at iCloud.

Apple: "Don't worry, we have lawsuits waiting for those clowns too. We have to protect our IP at all costs!"

American Jury: Fair is fair, we agree with Apple. Besides, we went to a Gamestop and noticed the Nexus 70 with the GeeBees for $200 looked like an iPad and the bar of soap at Rite Aid was rectangular, so there might be some infringement there too.

UK, Germany, Japan, South Korean Courts: *facepalm*

-Elite MonsterHunter
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by ayobase(m): 12:44pm On Aug 31, 2012
texazzpete:

My points have not been 'noted' by the people who continue to dispute my points of view. Going the extra mile to prove something can never be described as 'childish'...except in your underdeveloped mind.

My wife buys her own phones...and no 'chinese' phone in the market is more costly than the Bold she uses...

By the way, you're here babbling about 'childishness' and yet at your age you don't realize the term 'chinko' is a racial slur!

Lets not further derail!
Dont worry...I don hear u!
And why should I DEFINITELY take ''chinco'' as a racial slur.....pls do not reply again...thats not a question!
Lets not further derail, u can continue on ur course of argument until it is ''noted'' pls!
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by ayobase(m): 12:46pm On Aug 31, 2012
Bawss1: Again I couldn't resist sharing this comment about the Tokyo court ruling this morning. cheesy (Apple lost its lawsuit in that country against Samsung)

Japanese Courts: "sigh, really Apple? You know this isn't going to fly?"

Apple: "Hey we had to try right? Our trial worked out pretty well in America didn't it?"

Samsung: "It's all good because Japan knew what America won't admit. You're full of ish. Our S3s are selling out after the verdict anyways. Show us an iPhone that can do what the S3 does and then come talk to us."

Apple: The S3 wouldn't exist if it weren't for us. It's a glorified KIRF. Suck it Samsung. We can give you 1 billion reasons why the iPhone is better than the S3. Where's our money you hacks? If we don't have a check waiting for us tomorrow....

Motorola: "Google called, they want their notification bar back. RIM is on hold, they want their BBM ripped iMessage KIRF back, the Ghost of Palm left a message saying iOS still isn't better than webOS and Dropbox is in the lobby laughing at iCloud.

Apple: "Don't worry, we have lawsuits waiting for those clowns too. We have to protect our IP at all costs!"

American Jury: Fair is fair, we agree with Apple. Besides, we went to a Gamestop and noticed the Nexus 70 with the GeeBees for $200 looked like an iPad and the bar of soap at Rite Aid was rectangular, so there might be some infringement there too.

UK, Germany, Japan, South Korean Courts: *facepalm*

-Elite MonsterHunter

Im glad they are losing it!
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by texazzpete(m): 1:28pm On Aug 31, 2012
Bawss1: The last is yet to be heard about this patent battle

Just saw on CNN breaking news that Apple loses patent claim against Samsung in a Tokyo district court.

They aren't the same patents that were used in the US lawsuit.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:09pm On Aug 31, 2012
texazzpete:

seriously, who cares? give this apple underdog?? fanboyism advocate a rest joor
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Bawss1(m): 2:34pm On Aug 31, 2012
True, the patents in the Tokyo lawsuit are different - I'm sure in all the countries where Apple filed a lawsuit they'd have a different patent to cry about - but its obvious what Apple's intentions are; stifling the competition.

Apple is coming off this looking very bad.

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by kingsilly(m): 2:37pm On Aug 31, 2012
texazzpete:

texazzpete just let it go...apple will alwayz rock no nid trying to convert diz fandriod guys
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by na2day(m): 4:56pm On Aug 31, 2012
kingsilly:
texazzpete just let it go...apple will alwayz rock no nid trying to convert diz fandriod guys

cheesy grin grin

[img]http://www.trolino.com/image?id=25342[/img]
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by na2day(m): 5:02pm On Aug 31, 2012
texazzpete:

This kind of article would have to come from a website called 'phandroid', wouldn't it? grin

Sorry to say this, but this article is VERY VERY dubious. I'll explain

First of all, no company would show their hands before the event. There's no way Samsung would pre-announce an intention to sue Apple weeks before the iPhone release.
Secondly, any LTE patents would likely be FRAND based...and any FRAND patent owner is mandated to make available their IP for use under reasonable terms.
Thirdly, as the article notes, the iPad 3 comes with LTE. Any software implementation in the iPad will make its way to the iPhone. Failure to litigate for the iPad 3 will damage any case for the next iPhone.

Finally, Apple doesn't make the LTE chip. The manufacturer (for example, Qualcomm) would already be licensing the patents before supplying to Apple. Hence no scope to litigate.

Tex, if you had read the article on the site, you w'd have discovered, the original article is from Koreantimes newspaper grin

Samsung confirmed that it will immediately sue Apple if the latter releases products using advanced long-term evolution (LTE) mobile technology. LTE has been emerging as the top standard in the global mobile industry.

According to data from Thomson-Reuters, Nokia ranked top with 18.9 percent in terms of the number of LTE patents, followed by Qualcomm with 12.5 percent, Samsung Electronics with 12.2 percent and Ericsson with 11.6 percent.

http://www.koreatimes.co/www/news/tech/2012/08/133_118544.html

check other sites for same story!

http://news.yahoo.com/samsung-plan-revenge-sue-apple-dares-release-lte-192517129.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/30/samsung_to_sue_apple_over_lte_patents_partner_with_microsoft_to_avoid_android_lawsuits.html

At the end of the day, whoever wins this, I hope the powers that be will see how absurd the current state of the patent system is and a major reform will be undertaken.

The only thing I regret is that meanwhile, the parasites on society, called "attorneys" will line their pockets with cash that will ultimately come from the consumer.

1 Like

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Bawss1(m): 6:53pm On Aug 31, 2012
na2day!:

At the end of the day, whoever wins this, I hope the powers that be will see how absurd the current state of the patent system is and a major reform will be undertaken.

The only thing I regret is that meanwhile, the parasites on society, called "attorneys" will line their pockets with cash that will ultimately come from the consumer.

Certainly. Until the patent laws - and copyright too! - are reformed these kinds of ridiculous lawsuits do nothing but shortchange customers.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by texazzpete(m): 10:52pm On Aug 31, 2012
Bawss1:

Certainly. Until the patent laws - and copyright too! - are reformed these kinds of ridiculous lawsuits do nothing but shortchange customers.

That's where we differ. I have my misgivings over some software patents being issued and their use as a litigation weapon, but I seriously believe Samsung DID copy shamelessly from Apple in 2010...and deserve some punishment as a result of that.

I also disagree with Samsung...the outcome of these lawsuits should spur innovation, not stifle innovation. As i said before, there isn't anything truly innovative in the Galaxy S III. Samsung needed this shake-up.

On the Crackberry homepage, there's a preview of Blackberry 10. From that preview and from a few videos we've seen, there's most likely way more innovation packed in the up[coming BB10 handsets than in anything Samsung has produced for a while.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Bawss1(m): 12:45am On Sep 01, 2012
Copy. Combine. Transform. Those have been the steps that lead to innovation. Virtually all of the innovations that lie in history have followed these steps, from Gutenberg's printing press to Henry Ford's horseless carriage and even Apple's GUI in the late 70s. All those works borrowed from the ideas of others. Lawsuits and litigations disrupt this flow and stifle the innovative process. As has been pointed out severally Apple in its early days would have just closed shop had Xerox sued it for copying the GUI!
I wonder what kind of innovation will result if no one was ever allowed to copy, that's basically asking to reinvent the wheel for any new product.

Samsung's fears are justified, this lawsuit is a bad omen for innovation.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by texazzpete(m): 8:53am On Sep 01, 2012
Bawss1: Copy. Combine. Transform. Those have been the steps that lead to innovation. Virtually all of the innovations that lie in history have followed these steps, from Gutenberg's printing press to Henry Ford's horseless carriage and even Apple's GUI in the late 70s. All those works borrowed from the ideas of others. Lawsuits and litigations disrupt this flow and stifle the innovative process. As has been pointed out severally Apple in its early days would have just closed shop had Xerox sued it for copying the GUI!
I wonder what kind of innovation will result if no one was ever allowed to copy, that's basically asking to reinvent the wheel for any new product.

Samsung's fears are justified, this lawsuit is a bad omen for innovation.

Actually, the story that Apple 'stole' the GUI from Xerox is just a myth.

http://obamapacman.com/2010/03/myth-copyright-theft-apple-stole-gui-from-xerox-parc-alto/

Xerox was compensated for any ideas borrowed by Apple.

Samsung's fears are not justified. There are multiple workarounds to achieving the same objective. For example Apple doesn't have a patent on 'pinch-to-zoom'. they have a patent on a specific implementation of pinch-to-zoom. Google and Microsoft have come up with different implementations and methods that do not infringe on Apple's patent.

Apple obtained the patent for 'bounce back' overscroll effect when you hit the bottom of a list. Samsung copied it without paying a dime. in Android Gingerbread, Google put a glow effect to indicate when you've reached the end. That's a very viable workaround.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by texazzpete(m): 8:56am On Sep 01, 2012
Apple is being ridiculous

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/31/apple-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-galaxy-note-patent-lawsuit/

Now they are taking this crap too far.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by coogar: 10:09am On Sep 01, 2012
texazzpete: Apple is being ridiculous

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/31/apple-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-galaxy-note-patent-lawsuit/

Now they are taking this crap too far.

let them take it as far as they can, there's no steve jobs again to make another ground breaking idea. if apple lets this slide, they might lose their dominance to all these copycats for life!
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by puskin: 10:30am On Sep 01, 2012
Ah ah......wetin sef........this Apple have gone overboard.

Demanding trial by jury so that they can get sympathy judgement just as they did with the last one.
Just looking @the amended sheet, U will know that they want to put Samsung out of business in USA cos Apple is beginning to perceive some kind of fierce competition cos............Samsung is a colossal giant and Apple don't want that kind of competition from a foreign colossal giant grin grin in their backyard.

If the jury should listen to this bollocks Apple is putting forward, they have just gone ahead to stifle competition and aid monopoly.

Samsung just can't afford to sit and look......they need counter measures.
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 11:06am On Sep 01, 2012
[size=16pt] SAMSUNG STILL DA BEST[/size]
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 02, 2012
Apple lost the suit against Samsung in Japan about two days ago.

Now, they have added Samsung Galaxy S III to the infringement! What's wrong with APPLE?!
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:53am On Sep 03, 2012
Truth is with their new phones, what do you envisage to be the innovation that will stand them out?

sure their present products are nice, but this is a company for whom the last two product releases had retina display and Siri, facebook and twitter integration as the "innovations"

To change the form factor to make it bigger has a lot of issues within their ecosystem. apps, screen res etc.

to put a bigger battery is also iffy, see above.

LTE etc are already covered by the competition

therefore its quite understandable that they go after the competition, at least now they acknowledge that there is competition.

the comparative advantage they used to have over things like apps, battery life, hardware, looks have been eroded. unless the iphone 5 will give blowjobs on demand, when its released, pple wil look at it, and at options like SGS3 and decide.

personally its a no-brainer. lets wait and see sha
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by coogar: 1:02pm On Sep 03, 2012
4llerbuntu: Truth is with their new phones, what do you envisage to be the innovation that will stand them out?

sure their present products are nice, but this is a company for whom the last two product releases had retina display and Siri, facebook and twitter integration as the "innovations"

To change the form factor to make it bigger has a lot of issues within their ecosystem. apps, screen res etc.
to put a bigger battery is also iffy, see above.
LTE etc are already covered by the competition

therefore its quite understandable that they go after the competition, at least now they acknowledge that there is competition.

the comparative advantage they used to have over things like apps, battery life, hardware, looks have been eroded. unless the iphone 5 will give blowjobs on demand, when its released, pple wil look at it, and at options like SGS3 and decide.

personally its a no-brainer. lets wait and see sha

this is apple we are talking about - when iphone 5 comes out later in the month the galaxy s-3 would look crap like the iphone 4s murdered galaxy s-2. its a no brainer - samsung can't compete, they can only copy!!!
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:20pm On Sep 03, 2012
im waiting..eagerly
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by akinlolusewanu9(m): 4:26pm On Jul 10, 2013
To make the copying worst, they now applied to build their new headquarters at Apple's Silicon Valley. Meaning Samsung will also be called a Silicon Valley Company just like Apple. See for yourselves http://phonegist..com/2013/07/samsung-builds-silicon-valley-near-apple.html
Re: Samsung To Pay Apple $1.05B for Patent-Infringement by Nobody: 10:39am On Jul 11, 2013
akinlolusewanu9: To make the copying worst, they now applied to build their new headquarters at Apple's Silicon Valley. Meaning Samsung will also be called a Silicon Valley Company just like Apple. See for yourselves http://phonegist..com/2013/07/samsung-builds-silicon-valley-near-apple.html
Lol... As if Silicon Valley is owned by APPLE!Jeez!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Startimes S-100 Android Mobile TV Phone / Tecno Unveils Phantom AIII Smartphone / How many of you can guess a number of phones while blindfolded? I tried to.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.