Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach (4159 Views)

Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment / Eternal Torment and a Merciful GOD - Goshen and Co, feedback needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by Nobody: 1:39pm On Aug 28, 2012
Enjoying this thread....
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by Nobody: 1:56pm On Aug 28, 2012
[quote author=OLAADEGBU]"I am He that lives, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death" (Rev. 1:18) The Evidence Bible.

The Keys of Hades and Death for want of a better translation. But let us use the KJV and translate into the correct word using strongs.

and of Hades.
ᾃδου adou 86 Hades, the abode of departed spirits perhaps from alpha (as a neg. prefix) and eidon (3708)

This is a thorough Greek word study about the Greek word ᾅδης, 'hades' meaning 'Hades' or 'the grave' (Strong's 86). It gives every verse where the word "hades" appears in the New Testament.

Jesus Christ has the key to death and the grave. Whereas in the past mortal men where locked into the grave after death, Jesus Christ has defeated this principle by rising from the dead and he will raise all who died for time immemorial , to eternal life if they believe in him.

Indeed the grave could not hold Christ and will also not hold the dead in Christ Jesus who will be resurrected in the last day. Jesus has the keys to unlock the graves of men and women who died in Christ Jesus.

Case in point is Lazarus who was dead and in the grave ( Hades ) for 4 days, Jesus Christ who has the keys of death and the grave , unlocked them both and Lazarus came back to life.

NIV because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay Acts 2:22–32

KJV Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption - Acts 2:22–32
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 28, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

There are those who accept that hell is a place of punishment, but believe that the punishment is to be annihilated—to cease conscious existence. They can’t conceive that the punishment of the wicked will be conscious and eternal. If they are correct, then a man like Adolph Hitler, who was responsible for the deaths of millions, is being "punished" merely with eternal sleep. His fate is simply to return to the non-existent state he was in before he was born, where he doesn’t even know that he is being punished.

This is human reasoning, we have already proven that even the devil who is the worst of the worst will be destroyed and be no more.

Let us revisit the passage in scripture :

You were anointed as a guardian cherub,
for so I ordained you.
You were on the holy mount of God;
you walked among the fiery stones.
15 You were blameless in your ways
from the day you were created
till wickedness was found in you...................

So I made a fire come out from you,
and it consumed [/b]you,

and I reduced you to [b]ashes
on the ground
in the sight of all who were watching.
19 All the nations who knew you
are appalled at you;
you have come to a horrible end
and will be no more.
’” - Ezekiel 28:14-19

The above verse shows that even SATAN will be destroyed, talk less of Hitler.

Now , also consistent in the bible is reward for either evil or good.

We shall receive our reward here and also in the thereafter. What a man sows he will reap. For example a drug user will reap misery , pain and subsequent death if not careful and a people who practise pre-martial sex will reap possible aids, disease and pain.

However the bible also makes it absolutely clear that we shall pay for the crimes/sins committed in the body.

After the punishment will come destruction.

"He repays a man for what he has done; he brings upon him what his conduct deserves." - Job 34:11
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by Nobody: 2:17pm On Aug 28, 2012
However, Scripture paints a different story. The rich man who found himself in hell (Luke 16:19–31) was conscious. He was able to feel pain, to thirst, and to experience remorse. He wasn’t asleep in the grave; he was in a place of "torment." If hell is a place of knowing nothing or a reference to the grave into which we go at death, Jesus' statements about hell make no sense. He said that if your hand, foot, or eye causes you to sin, it would be better to remove it than to "go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: where their worm dies not, and the fire is not quenched" (Mark 9:43–48 )

1. This was a parable.

a. How can a soul thirst
b. How can a soul dip 'his finger' on his tongue
c. The Rich man had no name

Lesson from this parable is :

Another thing is it talks about one drop of water cooling the tongue of a person who’s in torment. Well that’s obviously an exaggeration. And then finally, it says that the beggar who dies and is saved goes to Abraham’s bosom. There’s no other Scripture anywhere that says that all the saved go to the bosom of Abraham. If that’s true, then he has one very large bosom because there have been a lot of saints who have died through the ages.

So there’s so much symbolic language in this that if we take all of the pictures literally, we’re going to come up with a very distorted picture. The lesson in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus is always missed because people use it to try and prove the state of the dead and hell.

The lesson is, that the rich man, who is a symbol of God’s people who have the truth that are not sharing their food with the poor, the lost, they may find that in the Judgment the poor are saved and the rich are lost. We have a responsibility to share the Gospel. Just like Jesus was telling His Jewish brethren that if you do not share it with the Gentiles, you might find that many come from the East and the West and sit down in the Kingdom with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and you will be cast out and the Gentiles will be in.

For the church today, it’s the same message. If we are building walls around our church and saying, ‘We’re saved because we’re Christians and we’re going to study our Bibles together and forget the lost of the world’ – in the Judgment we might find out we really didn’t love our brother. We’ve been hoarding our food so to speak, while they’ve been starving for the crumbs of the Gospel.

Everyone misses the real message in this parable. It has nothing to do with what happens when you die, or hell. Jesus uses the word Hades – forgive me for being on a little rampage here , but I get excited about this because a misunderstanding about hell was one of my big problems with accepting Jesus years ago. And when I found out the truth about hell, it just helped me realize God is a God of love.

The word Hades that Jesus used comes out of Greek mythology. - Source
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:20pm On Aug 28, 2012
"I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death" (Revelation 1:18). Show

1:18 alive for evermore.

The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead guarantees the fulfillment of all God’s promises concerning our own salvation, resurrection and everlasting life. "Because I live," He said, "ye shall live also" (John 14:19). See also Romans 6:9.

1:18 keys of hell.

Philosophers and religionists are always searching for the keys to life and death, but only Christ has them! "Hell" is actually Hades, the abode of departed souls in the heart of the earth. When Christ died, His Spirit descended into Hades, proclaiming victory to the evil spirits incarcerated there, then returned with the souls of those who had died in faith. See notes on Psalm 16:10; Acts 2:27; Luke 16:23-26; Hebrews 2:14-15; I Peter 3:18-20; and Ephesians 4:8-10. The unsaved dead will be delivered up from Hades for judgment at the great white throne (Revelation 20:13).

- Defender's Study Bible.
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 28, 2012
If hell is a place of knowing nothing or a reference to the grave into which we go at death, Jesus' statements about hell make no sense. He said that if your hand, foot, or eye causes you to sin, it would be better to remove it than to "go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: where their worm dies not, and the fire is not quenched" (Mark 9:43–48 ).

This is in reference to Isaiah, remember Jesus always quoted scripture which in that time was the old testament.

Let us review this scripture :

"And they will go out and look upon the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; their worm will not die, nor will their fire be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind." - Isaiah 66:24

Psalm 110:6 He will judge the nations, heaping up the dead and crushing the rulers of the whole earth.

These wicked people will be destroyed with fire as noted above .

The Bible refers to the fate of the unsaved with such fearful [/b]words as the following:

My brother, God does not rule with Fear , only SATAN does. You can never win ONE soul for Christ through fear.

A case in point , after Jonathan Edwards sermon of sinners in the hands of an angry God , a number of people committed suicide, others were racked with worry and depression. You tell me , what kind of sermon is that.

God does not threaten , he calls us with love. God is not a mafia boss with a gun to your head to repent. It is not by force. It's live or die. Accept his eternal life or die an eternal death.

"For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!" - [b]Ezekiel 18:32

Ezekiel 18:23 Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign LORD. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." - 1 John 4:18

The accuser of the brethren is the one who always takes us on guilt trips with the threats of everlasting fire. This has made it impossible for many weak minded Christians to worship God with a peaceful and loving heart.

The adherents of this false catholic doctrine are unknowingly maligning the character of GOD.

"Shame and everlasting contempt" (Daniel 12:2)

"Everlasting punishment" (Mathew 25:46)

"Weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matthew 24:51)

"Fire unquenchable" (Luke 3:17)

"Indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish" (Romans 2:8,9)

"Everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord" (2 Thessalonians 1:9)

"Eternal fire...the blackness of darkness for ever" (Jude 7,13)

Revelation 14:10,11 tells us the final, eternal destiny of the sinner: "He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone...the smoke of their torment ascended up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day or night."

First of all , in the new world there is no night.

There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever.- Revelation 22:5

This is talking about a fixed period of suffering for the wicked. They will be burned with eternal fire and suffer an everlasting death.

While the fire lasts, they will have no rest day or night.

Now for the good news, once the present heaven and earth are destroyed this is the new world order :

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." - Revelation 21:4

Everything that belongs to the old order will be wiped away.

There is no such thing as some residue of the old order existing in pain and torment. This is contrary to scripture.
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 28, 2012
OLAADEGBU:
"I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death" (Revelation 1:18). Show

1:18 alive for evermore.

The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead guarantees the fulfillment of all God’s promises concerning our own salvation, resurrection and everlasting life. "Because I live," He said, "ye shall live also" (John 14:19). See also Romans 6:9.

1:18 keys of hell.

Philosophers and religionists are always searching for the keys to life and death, but only Christ has them! "Hell" is actually Hades, the abode of departed souls in the heart of the earth. When Christ died, His Spirit descended into Hades, proclaiming victory to the evil spirits incarcerated there, then returned with the souls of those who had died in faith. See notes on Psalm 16:10; Acts 2:27; Luke 16:23-26; Hebrews 2:14-15; I Peter 3:18-20; and Ephesians 4:8-10. The unsaved dead will be delivered up from Hades for judgment at the great white throne (Revelation 20:13).

- Defender's Study Bible.

This is what happens when you rely on the interpretations of men.

Sorry but what does this mean :

'proclaiming victory to the evil spirits'

This is false doctrine.

Another false doctrine is that his spirit went to hades, wow oh wow !!!

'His Spirit descended into Hades'

Let us see what happens to our spirits when we die :

"and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it." - Ecclesiastes 12:7

Even on the cross, our Lord comitted his spirit to the father while his body went into the grave or hades and was raised on the third day.

"Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last." - Luke 23:46

Mind the bolded, he committed his spirit to the father which also matches the account of Ecclesiastes , that our spirits return to God.

Let us rely on scripture , and not the all these study bibles that are clogged with the interpretations of men.
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:45pm On Aug 28, 2012
frosbel:

This is what happens when you reply on the interpretations of men.

Sorry but what does this mean :

'proclaiming victory to the evil spirits'

This is false doctrine.

None of the verses you quoted has anything to do with eternal souls in torment.

I have now discovered your source of heresies which you now use to confuse yourself and this is the Source. It is a precusor to the JW's which comes in the name of SDA.
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by Nobody: 2:47pm On Aug 28, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

I have now discovered your source of heresy which you now use to confuse yourself and this is the Source

So along with the Catholics and Calvin , you call me a Heretic, I am blessed by your statement. grin

Remember deeper life doctrine will not save you !
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by Nobody: 2:51pm On Aug 28, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

I have now discovered your source of heresy which you now use to confuse yourself and this is the Source. It is a precusor to the JW's which comes in the name of SDA.

Nonsense, the SDA apart from their Sabbath doctrine and some other areas of disagreement , are dead right on many doctrines when compared to deeper life.

They also exhibit more love and kindness than many deeper lifers I know ,who while claiming to 'know it all' have erred.

If the SDA is a cult then so is deeperlife, they both have some false doctrines.

In addition, there are countless other evangelists and pentecostals who believe in these sound doctrines.

http://truthortradition.com/

http://www.edwardfudge.com/

http://bethelbooks.com/wayoflife/19/
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:55pm On Aug 28, 2012
frosbel:

So along with the Catholics and Calvin , you call me a Heretic, I am blessed by your statement. grin

Remember deeper life doctrine will not save you !

Neither will the doctrines of Ellen White save you, only Jesus Christ can save.
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 28, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Neither will the doctrines of Ellen White save you, only Jesus Christ can save.

Scripture cannot LIE.

If scripture calls it a spade , then it is a spade.

I have met many SDA members while at UNI , they were some of the most beautiful / peaceful and loving people I ever associated with, whereas my deeperlife brethren at the time looked down on other denominations, always thinking like the catholic church that they have all the truth.

Only God has all the truth .

I am denomination agnostic, anyone who loves Jesus and IS BORN AGAIN is my brother or sister .

Blessings !
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:11pm On Aug 28, 2012
frosbel:

Scripture cannot LIE.

If scripture calls it a spade , then it is a spade.

I have met many SDA members while at UNI , they were some of the most beautiful / peaceful and loving people I ever associated with, whereas my deeperlife brethren at the time looked down on other denominations, always thinking like the catholic church that they have all the truth.

Only God has all the truth .

I am denomination agnostic, anyone who loves Jesus and IS BORN AGAIN is my brother or sister .

Blessings !

Go ahead and worship Allah, the Muslim deity since that is what your brothers and sisters in the videoclip below believes. Here is what the SDA believes about the Muslim god. Watch and see how you've been hoodwinked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b-6PS8J528
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by Nobody: 3:14pm On Aug 28, 2012
.........In them, as he obeys the Lord with however little understanding he has, he learns even more concretely what the Lord means by what He says. This means that as the child of God carries on his life in the understanding that hellfire is a terrible eternal condition, for instance, one day perhaps as he converses with an unbeliever, he will find it necessary to ask his Father why such a beautiful (at least, in potential) person should suffer for eternity in raging, unquenchable flames. In his quest, he will search the Scriptures and probably find that there appears to be conflict in their teachings. He will discuss these conflicts with other brothers and the Lord. He will come finally to knowing the Lord's meaning as He reflects it to him in some point of obedience. Mental exercise is involved as are emotional and physical (by which I mean exercise of will) exercises. The Christian learns by doing.

In this discourse, I have received convincing argument that the Second Death does not involve continuing existence in torment for eternity. I feel like it is easy to assent to it but there are certain evidences and principles that the argument does not treat respectfully if at all. They are the following

¤ Eternity is not Time.

¤ More than two passages from the Bible indicate consciousness in hellfire. Some are Revelation 20:10; 14:10,11 and Daniel 12:2.

¤ Love is not an attribute of God's, Love is what God is and Justice and Mercy are both expressions of Love just as Anger and Pity also are.

¤ Sin is not merely an act or lack of one, or a word or the lack thereof. It is independence of God, that is, rejection of God as sufficient in all things to His Creation. Its natural outworking is finally a total divorce from God and all the benefits derivable from being related to Him.

¤ God is not subject to human sentiment. His Love is utterly perfect. When He does not spare, He has good reason not to.

¤ Immortality or possession of the spring of life may not be the same as continued existence forever. Here, the question is "What is Life?" Why should anyone care to live forever after life in this world? What's the big deal? I guess that also covers being dead, extinguished forever. I mean, if my punishment for getting laid as often as possible with as many hotties as possible is loss of a chance to live forever and in a place where I can't carry on with it too, what's the biggie? Even was there such a thing really as living forever, why would I give up a perfectly swell time here and now on earth for it? What am I gonna do with it when I get it?

These are just a few. Suffice to say that the argument is only strong until it comes under Scriptural examination when it has to start employing illogics and accusations to stay afloat.

Why is it even important to bother with the matter? One, it makes even clearer the enormity of my salvation. Two, knowing the truth about it perfects my love toward all men even more. Three, it shows me that nothing that I do, think or say is actually finite. Every bit of my existence has eternity stamped upon it, so it all matters infintely. As Peter puts it, what holy and godly life I should live considering how far-reaching are the decisions and happenings of today.

I have not yet commenced developing what I have been taught about this here. And I'm growing more certain that I may not eventually. The important thing that I had to do was show that this position about eternal punishment is not founded on the whole Bible and is therefore not founded on the Bible at all. For that which divides up the Scriptures and pits them against themselves cannot claim them for foundation as well. Either one accepts the whole Bible or one rejects it.

Perhaps I will describe a little what hellfire or the Second Death means. It means that

.........God has accepted rejection by those whom He condemns to it. That He has left them to their devices (something like Matt 23:38)...........

Since His gifts are without repentance (Rom 11:29), He will not take back "being" or "re-being" from His enemies. They will continue to exist but outside His benevolence which they finally reject and He gives to others who are accepting of it. They demand His Wrath therefore they get it. They reject His Spirit therefore they can no more repent. It is not continued existence that those who end up in hellfire do not want. It is existence where they are sufficient to themselves and God is a lost reality (Rom 1:18-2:16, particularly 1:24 and 2:cool.

How can it be considered cruelty that God accepts a man's verdict upon Him (Matt 25:24-30)? God is no tyrant. He will not force His Government and Gifts upon anyone. Anyone who does not trust in Him is already condemned by their very refusal to count Him trustworthy (John 3:18). So hellfire is where they're dumped out of God's Kingdom to fend for themselves. And since it's every man for himself there and no one's greater than anyone else......
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by Nobody: 3:17pm On Aug 28, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Go ahead and worship Allah, the Muslim deity since that is what your brothers and sisters in the videoclip below believes. Here is what the SDA believes about the Muslim god. Watch and see how you've been hoodwinked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b-6PS8J528

Lol.

Typical deeper lifer . grin

Okay he says ALLAH is a name for GOD but he never said that ISLAM is the way the truth and the life.

I am not SDA by the way and do not agree with all their doctrines.

No one has the absolute truth.

So stop the blackmail and face the truth.

Deeperlife is a cult just like the SDA but they all hold to some form of sound doctrine.

But just to make you happy, JESUS is LORD and ISLAM is false , I have held this view for almost ever !!
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by Nobody: 3:20pm On Aug 28, 2012
Not all Seventh-day Adventists agree with Dwight Nelson, nor do we all agree with all that comes out of our universities. Ellen White clearly taught that the church would appear as if it were about to fall, but it does not. There are many who have not bowed the knee to Babylon, and to accuse the entire denomination is out of line. The tares will be separated from the wheat. Ellen White also says that persecution will do this - those who do not have a love for the truth will be shaken out.

OLAADEGBU has taken the bad behaviour of ONE MAN and stereotyped an entire church, what is new ?
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by Nobody: 3:28pm On Aug 28, 2012
............chaos will reign. People won't change in their moral character because they're in hell or heaven. Wherever they are in eternity, there they'll suffer no more from restraint. Their appetites will either rule them or they will have their appetites under perfect government, the perfect government of Love.

I believe that we will find that it is us who make our own sentence in eternity.

Having said that, I think the final issue is whether man was created to exist forever. The issue is the deciding argument for or against eternal punishment. I'll deal with that another time.
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by tidytim: 3:28pm On Aug 28, 2012
Ihedinobi: .........In them, as he obeys the Lord with however little understanding he has, he learns even more concretely what the Lord means by what He says. This means that as the child of God carries on his life in the understanding that hellfire is a terrible eternal condition, for instance, one day perhaps as he converses with an unbeliever, he will find it necessary to ask his Father why such a beautiful (at least, in potential) person should suffer for eternity in raging, unquenchable flames. In his quest, he will search the Scriptures and probably find that there appears to be conflict in their teachings. He will discuss these conflicts with other brothers and the Lord. He will come finally to knowing the Lord's meaning as He reflects it to him in some point of obedience. Mental exercise is involved as are emotional and physical (by which I mean exercise of will) exercises. The Christian learns by doing.

In this discourse, I have received convincing argument that the Second Death does not involve continuing existence in torment for eternity. I feel like it is easy to assent to it but there are certain evidences and principles that the argument does not treat respectfully if at all. They are the following

¤ Eternity is not Time.

¤ More than two passages from the Bible indicate consciousness in hellfire. Some are Revelation 20:10; 14:10,11 and Daniel 12:2.

¤ Love is not an attribute of God's, Love is what God is and Justice and Mercy are both expressions of Love just as Anger and Pity also are.

¤ Sin is not merely an act or lack of one, or a word or the lack thereof. It is independence of God, that is, rejection of God as sufficient in all things to His Creation. Its natural outworking is finally a total divorce from God and all the benefits derivable from being related to Him.

¤ God is not subject to human sentiment. His Love is utterly perfect. When He does not spare, He has good reason not to.

¤ Immortality or possession of the spring of life may not be the same as continued existence forever. Here, the question is "What is Life?" Why should anyone care to live forever after life in this world? What's the big deal? I guess that also covers being dead, extinguished forever. I mean, if my punishment for getting laid as often as possible with as many hotties as possible is loss of a chance to live forever and in a place where I can't carry on with it too, what's the biggie? Even was there such a thing really as living forever, why would I give up a perfectly swell time here and now on earth for it? What am I gonna do with it when I get it?

These are just a few. Suffice to say that the argument is only strong until it comes under Scriptural examination when it has to start employing illogics and accusations to stay afloat.

Why is it even important to bother with the matter? One, it makes even clearer the enormity of my salvation. Two, knowing the truth about it perfects my love toward all men even more. Three, it shows me that nothing that I do, think or say is actually finite. Every bit of my existence has eternity stamped upon it, so it all matters infintely. As Peter puts it, what holy and godly life I should live considering how far-reaching are the decisions and happenings of today.

I have not yet commenced developing what I have been taught about this here. And I'm growing more certain that I may not eventually. The important thing that I had to do was show that this position about eternal punishment is not founded on the whole Bible and is therefore not founded on the Bible at all. For that which divides up the Scriptures and pits them against themselves cannot claim them for foundation as well. Either one accepts the whole Bible or one rejects it.

Perhaps I will describe a little what hellfire or the Second Death means. It means that

Since His gifts are without repentance (Rom 11:29), He will not take back "being" or "re-being" from His enemies. They will continue to exist but outside His benevolence which they finally reject and He gives to others who are accepting of it. They demand His Wrath therefore they get it. They reject His Spirit therefore they can no more repent. It is not continued existence that those who end up in hellfire do not want. It is existence where they are sufficient to themselves and God is a lost reality (Rom 1:18-2:16, particularly 1:24 and 2:cool.

How can it be considered cruelty that God accepts a man's verdict upon Him (Matt 25:24-30)? God is no tyrant. He will not force His Government and Gifts upon anyone. Anyone who does not trust in Him is already condemned by their very refusal to count Him trustworthy (John 3:18). So hellfire is where they're dumped out of God's Kingdom to fend for themselves. And since it's every man for himself there and no one's greater than anyone else......

Twisted theology not backed in any form or shape by scripture.
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by tidytim: 3:29pm On Aug 28, 2012
Ihedinobi: ............chaos will reign. People won't change in their moral character because they're in hell or heaven. Wherever they are in eternity, there they'll suffer no more from restraint. Their appetites will either rule them or they will have their appetites under perfect government, the perfect government of Love.

I believe that we will find that it is us who make our own sentence in eternity.

Having said that, I think the final issue is whether man was created to exist forever. The issue is the deciding argument for or against eternal punishment. I'll deal with that another time.

You arguments are all falling apart , because they are mostly not based on the inerrant scripture.
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:36pm On Aug 28, 2012
frosbel:

This is in reference to Isaiah, remember Jesus always quoted scripture which in that time was the old testament.

Let us review this scripture :

"And they will go out and look upon the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; their worm will not die, nor will their fire be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind." - Isaiah 66:24

Psalm 110:6 He will judge the nations, heaping up the dead and crushing the rulers of the whole earth.

These wicked people will be destroyed with fire as noted above .

Are you now saying Jesus didn't interprete it correctly? To get a better understanding of those verses you need to listen to Jesus' proper interpretations.

frosbel:

My brother, God does not rule with Fear , only SATAN does. You can never win ONE soul for Christ through fear.

A case in point , after Jonathan Edwards sermon of sinners in the hands of an angry God , a number of people committed suicide, others were racked with worry and depression. You tell me , what kind of sermon is that.

God does not threaten , he calls us with love. God is not a mafia boss with a gun to your head to repent. It is not by force. It's live or die. Accept his eternal life or die an eternal death.

"For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!" - Ezekiel 18:32

Ezekiel 18:23 Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign LORD. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." - 1 John 4:18

The accuser of the brethren is the one who always takes us on guilt trips with the threats of everlasting fire. This has made it impossible for many weak minded Christians to worship God with a peaceful and loving heart.

The adherents of this false catholic doctrine are unknowingly maligning the character of GOD.

"It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God" (Heb. 10:31) The Evidence Bible.

In the late 1980s, TV commercials in the U.S. asked, "What goes through the mind of a driver who is not wearing a seat belt in a head- on collision?" Then they showed a crash dummy having its head crushed by a steering wheel in a collision, and said, "The steering wheel!" Those were scare tactics, but no one complained because they were legitimate scare tactics. That's what happens in a head-on collision if you are foolish enough to not put on a seat belt. To warn of hell is fearful, but it is absolutely legitimate, because the Bible says that it is a fearful thing for a sinner to fall into the hands of the living God.

frosbel:

First of all , in the new world there is no night.

There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever.- Revelation 22:5

This is talking about a fixed period of suffering for the wicked. They will be burned with eternal fire and suffer an everlasting death.

While the fire lasts, they will have no rest day or night.

Now for the good news, once the present heaven and earth are destroyed this is the new world order :

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." - Revelation 21:4

Everything that belongs to the old order will be wiped away.

There is no such thing as some residue of the old order existing in pain and torment. This is contrary to scripture.

If death in the grave is the end why then will it be a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God, Since all people die, anyway? Even in the eyes of the criminal or civil law here crooks many times do not go scott free how much more with the righteous Judge who sees all things.
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by Nobody: 3:37pm On Aug 28, 2012
tidytim:

Show me where Scripture is lacking. That way, you can prove that you did indeed read what I wrote.
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:51pm On Aug 28, 2012
frosbel:

Lol.

Typical deeper lifer . grin

Okay he says ALLAH is a name for GOD but he never said that ISLAM is the way the truth and the life.

I am not SDA by the way and do not agree with all their doctrines.

No one has the absolute truth.

So stop the blackmail and face the truth.

Deeperlife is a cult just like the SDA but they all hold to some form of sound doctrine.

But just to make you happy, JESUS is LORD and ISLAM is false , I have held this view for almost ever !!

It's nice to hear what you think of 'DL'. Do you also agree with what SDA says that ALLAH is more accurate than the word God? You may say Islam is false till your face turns blue but that doesn't remove the fact that you share their beliefs which makes you a peddler of false teaching.
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by dorox(m): 3:58pm On Aug 28, 2012
tidytim:

You said it before i could.
@Ihedinobi: My education is only at secondary school level, could that perhaps be why i struggled to make much sense of your post?
or maybe not. In any case try to use normal layman speak. This is a discussion among "friends" and not a philosophy classroom debate.
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by Nobody: 4:02pm On Aug 28, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

It's nice to hear what you think of 'DL'. Do you also agree with what SDA says that ALLAH is more accurate than the word God? You may say Islam is false till your face turns blue but that doesn't remove the fact that you share their beliefs which makes you a peddler of false teaching.

Since you cannot refute my arguments, you decide to slander me to protect your cult.

What did Christ say about slanderers. ?
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by dorox(m): 4:15pm On Aug 28, 2012
@OLAADEGBU: You should address the issues rather than going off on a tangential attack on religious groups frosbel may or may not be associated with.
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by nedostic: 5:18pm On Aug 28, 2012
@ Frosbel and Olaadegbu,

I would rather advise both of you to stop throwing tirades on each other. It does Christianity no good likewise your virtual personalities.

What is of import is to discuss issues rather than attacking one denomination or the other.

@Olaadegbu,

Calling Frosbel heretic as regards this topic is not necessarily right.Recall that the apostles of old and even our messiah-The Lord Jesus Christ were accused of heresy by the self-righteous groups-Sadducee and Pharisees.

The truth is always hard to accept. The truth does not have a bandwagon(rippling) effect because most humans by nature like 'crowding out' with the crowd.

I am yet to see any denomination that has the complete truth in its entirety.The onus is on us to learn from others with all humility by asking for clarifications where needed.

More so,I do not see Frosbel as the kind of 'virtual' individual who purports to know it all.More so, Frosbel is not a super-human!

We all lack understanding in one way or the other so it is for the Oyedepos, Olukoyas, Adeboyes, Oyakhilomes, Kumuyis,Okoties, Adefarasins,et al.

Despite the fact that I have reservations for most of these church leaders, I have always known that we are human in a way with imperfections.

No matter our differences in interpretations and opinions, let us learn to treat one another in love.

But, if there is anything we should be careful about, its interpreting scriptures out of context to suit our desires and man-made doctrines.

There is a high likelihood that true Christians are not part of even the present-day church movement.

Virtually all churches these days most especially in Nigeria have their own doctrinal beliefs! Sometimes, I get confused with these doctrines! To worsen matter, all we get from most of these churches is basically 'experiential' activities and not the word.

I strongly believe if these churches engage in detailed study or research on some of these doctrines that are causing confusion amongst christian brethren,it would do us all good.

As much as soul winning and miracles are good. People need the word to feed upon.Soul winning is beyond going to the pulpit to accept Christ. Without the word,soul winning is just fashion ala mode as it is today.Exactly the way miracles have become alacarte(miracles are being dished out depending on currency denomination).What a wicked world we live!

Please kindly permit me from deviating once again from this crucial topic.

God bless!
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by Nobody: 5:26pm On Aug 28, 2012
nedostic: @ Frosbel and Olaadegbu,

I would rather advise both of you to stop throwing tirades on each other. It does Christianity no good likewise your virtual personalities.

What is of import is to discuss issues rather than attacking one denomination or the other.

Thanks for the advice.

I hereby remove my comments referring to deeperlife as a cult.

My point just like yours is that no one denomination can have the whole truth. If church A call their doctrines bible doctrines, what about church B , C , D, E F and the rest.

Fellowshiping together with humility while discussing the word is the best way forward.
Re: If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach by WilliamRWest: 2:56am On Dec 02, 2013
TWO GOOD FREE BOOKS ON THIS SUBJECT
“The Indictment Of Eternal Torment: The Self-Negation Of A Monstrous Doctrine,” by E. D. Slough, a preacher in the church of Christ, F. L. Rowe Publisher, 1914.
I have put this book on the web at: http://www.robertwr.com/EternalTorment.htm
For e-readers: http://www.scribd.com/doc/162824865/Eternal-Torment-A-Monstrous-Doctrine-by-E-D-Slough

“Life In Christ” by Dr. Edward White was published in 1875 may have been one of the first major protest against the doctrine of an immortal soul. For the most part this book teaches the truth on the doctrine of the soul and Hell however there are a few things in it that are unbiblical.
I have put this book on the web at:
http://www.robertwr.com/LifeInChrist.htm
For e-readers: http://www.scribd.com/doc/173926706/Life-in-Christ

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Pagan Africa / Islam Is Not For Non-arabs: Al-quran / Warning To Atheists, Muslims, All Non-christrians!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.