Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,257 members, 7,822,312 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

POWER & TELECOMMUNICATIONS: Which Is More Important To Your Life? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / POWER & TELECOMMUNICATIONS: Which Is More Important To Your Life? (1000 Views)

Baba Your Life Is More Important To Us; Say No To Dinner / Broom And Umbrella Which Is More Important? / Poor Services: Reps To Probe Telecommunications Companies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

POWER & TELECOMMUNICATIONS: Which Is More Important To Your Life? by africanrapper: 1:00pm On Aug 27, 2012
OK Friends, I had an interesting argument with a friend (last night). The point of argument was between POWER and TELECOMMUNICATIONS, which one is more important in an individual's life (especially here in Nigeria).

While I acknowledged that Telecoms have improved our lives, I also argued that if I had to choose between OPTIMAL POWER and OPTIMAL TELECOMMUNICATION service in Nigeria, I would choose POWER (ELECTRICITY). With Power, I think I can do a lot of things easier and faster - such as Cooking, Ironing, my Business needs steady power, etc.

I also argued that many business owners could employ more people, but the money they would use to pay salaries are already being gulped by Fuel for Generators.

On the other hand, my friend argues that TELECOMS is more important in our lives, because he can call his mom in the villa at any time - he doesn't need Power to do that. If there's an emergency anywhere, people can reach him through phone. Also, most of his contacts are people he got through his phone, etc.

He also argues that he can improvise for his Energy needs (e.g. Generators, Photo-voltaic cells, etc), but does not see any other means of communication.

So, I ask:

1. Between POWER & TELECOMMUNICATIONS, which do you think is MORE IMPORTANT IN YOUR LIFE.
2. Assuming Government says you CANNOT HAVE BOTH, which one would you rather choose: POWER (ELECTRICITY) or TELECOMMUNICATIONS (phone, iPad, etc)

I want to learn from other people here.

#africanrapper
Re: POWER & TELECOMMUNICATIONS: Which Is More Important To Your Life? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Aug 27, 2012
Lets look at it this way.

If all forms of Telecommunications were to be cut-off indefinitely, it will be very hard on the vast majority of Nigerians but I assure you people will adapt. A popular misconception is that we cannot live without our phones, but we have been living without them for decades and we had to rely on the good old postal service, despite their shortcomings.

On the other hand if we were to lose our electric power indefinitely the after-effects will be massive. Although many people have generators to serve as alternatives but how many homes and businesses can afford to power their gens day and night everyday for the next ten years.

Imagine how many businesses that will close down, how many homes that will run bankrupt. It is simply because power is indispensable that people have generators in the first place, and it is only a short term alternative.

So if you should place both of them on a scale I think power will win. Of course most of the things that people do with communications are not really productive, but on the other hand most of the things that power is used for is actually not only productive but also very essential for everyday living.
Re: POWER & TELECOMMUNICATIONS: Which Is More Important To Your Life? by africanrapper: 7:21pm On Aug 27, 2012
@virtuoso, I think we share the same thoughts.

#africanrapper
Re: POWER & TELECOMMUNICATIONS: Which Is More Important To Your Life? by Xenisha: 11:15pm On Jul 24, 2022
Hello! I want to tell you about what Assurance Wireless offer provides people with low incomes: a free phone, free monthly data, unlimited text messages, and free monthly minutes. As users write in their assurance wireless reviews, they do not receive an invoice, are not required to sign a contract, and do not pay activation fees or recurring payments, which is very convenient for them.
Re: POWER & TELECOMMUNICATIONS: Which Is More Important To Your Life? by Ogbuu101: 11:16pm On Jul 24, 2022
Power is a basic necessity naa,almost like air

(1) (Reply)

Latest On Prof Maurice Iwu's Involvement In Anti-diarrheal Drug For HIV/AIDS / History Made On NL! / Biafra....connecting The Dots!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.