Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi (8495 Views)

Why This Oyinbo Married A Nigerian Lady / The Pretty Banker Who Married A Danfo Driver: True Love Story / 20 Costly Mistakes That Married Men Make. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 3:04pm On Sep 01, 2012
CrazyMan:
Stop being paranoid...that I used that statement doesn't actually mean they have to be unique...its just an English term. That statement is a simile...I used it to liken her situation to what we see in nollywood movies. I don't have to begin to explain how house girls get married to princes and all that before you see the how similar they both are
HUH?? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 3:04pm On Sep 01, 2012
coogar: then tell your aunt to go to ait/nta and narrate her own story...
the fact that she wasn't celebrated for what she did does not mean we should not celebrate mrs. owonubi - nigerians and their bad belle!

Tell my aunt to go to AIT/NTA? What the frell? What has bad belle to do with this? You again?? ugh!!! Abeg get lost!!
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by coogar: 3:08pm On Sep 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Tell my aunt to go to AIT/NTA? What the frell? What has bad belle to do with this? You again?? ugh!!! Abeg get lost!!

bad belle = my aunt went through the same hell so theres nothing special about this white woman. so i am asking you for the umpteenth time to instruct your aunt to go tell her story to lindaikeji and co.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by dayokanu(m): 3:25pm On Sep 01, 2012
The child on her back looks like every other kid in Naija.

Doesnt look mixed

1 Like

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by JallowBah(f): 3:59pm On Sep 01, 2012
dayokanu: The child on her back looks like every other kid in Naija.

Doesnt look mixed

Might be a kid from the husbands family, or her own. Many mixed kids look completely african.

And for the story; One of the reasons this story gets big is because she is living in Nigeria. She choose the life there, over the life here. Now, for nigerians or africans, that might not seem like much..but look at how most white people picture Africa when they think about it. For them, it IS a big deal, and a big invoremental change.

And, most of the mixed marriages dont last too long..the majority of them last for up to five years, in my country that is, so that makes it selling extra.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by JallowBah(f): 4:02pm On Sep 01, 2012
http://crystalowonubi..no/

Her own blog. The latest post is how she feels herself about all the attention around this.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by MrsChima(f): 4:25pm On Sep 01, 2012
There are a lot of white women who lives in Nigeria for many years and some of them can go back home and bring their children to visit family. She was disowned and thrown to pieces.

No special treatment here. She made a decision and she need to focus on the positivity of the her decision and life.

Writing a book to earn a living is not bad either.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by MrsChima(f): 4:32pm On Sep 01, 2012
Lmao@crazyman saying i need to accept that she is special because be said so.

You got me bleeped up.....the bunion on my grannys toe is special.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by SisiKill1: 4:33pm On Sep 01, 2012
I am a human being being who married an Animal

I am an Earthling who married an Alien Stud from Jupiter

I am an Angel (real one with wings) who married a Demon (real one with horns)

. . . . These topics I get why there will be a fuss but an American marrying a Nigerian? Someone help me out here.

3 Likes

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by coogar: 4:38pm On Sep 01, 2012
Sisi_Kill: I am a human being being who married an Animal

I am an Earthling who married an Alien Stud from Jupiter

I am an Angel (real one with wings) who married a Demon (real one with horns)

. . . . These topics I get why there will be a fuss but an American marrying a Nigerian? Someone help me out here.

she was disowned by her parents
she was abused all her life, called a nigga lover!
then she stays in nigeria - nigeria of all places.....

sisikill that was born n bred in naija sef does not stay in nigeria - have i been able to help you the way you wanted? tongue
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by SisiKill1: 4:39pm On Sep 01, 2012
Paranoid. . . As in I always feel someone is after me, Yes, yes, because they want to destroy me. Oh everybody hates me, people are after my downfall and I can't trust anybody. . Paranoid?? In this context?? Really??

Again with the using of words for using sake!

Sigh!!
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 4:42pm On Sep 01, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Paranoid. . . As in I always feel someone is after me, Yes, yes, because they want to destroy me. Oh everybody hates me, people are after for my downfall and I can't trust anybody. . Paranoid?? In this context?? Really??

Again with the using of words for using sake!

Sigh!!

ROFLMAO!!!
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by SisiKill1: 5:00pm On Sep 01, 2012
coogar:

she was disowned by her parents
she was abused all her life, called a nigga lover!
then she stays in nigeria - nigeria of all places.....

sisikill that was born n bred in naija sef does not stay in nigeria - have i been able to help you the way you wanted? tongue

Dude come now!!

Are you telling me you don't know someone who has been disowned by their family for marrying from the wrong tribe, religion or social class? These people left the comfort of the familiar and trudged on because they chose to do it. You have to remember that she made a decision, she knew what she was getting into. . .none of this was thrust upon her all of a sudden and her adapting quickly to is cause for celebration.

I mean seriously what are we raising our hands in the air and hallelujahing here -

That a white woman married a Nigeria? Ooookay, what is so godawful about Nigerians that makes a white woman marrying into our national family and *gasps* living in Nigeria a big deal?

My not living in Nigeria shouldn't be a measure of how great or not so great Nigeria is because it is based on a personal decision. . .just like her decision to live in Nigeria and marry a Nigerian. If it was a case of. . .say, one day while she was sleeping on her goose feathered bed in America, she was suddenly kidnapped and she woke up to find herself in a place she knew nothing about and married to a man she had never met. . .yet managed to cope, I would understand the need for this self congratulatory piece.

2 Likes

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 01, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Dude come now!!

Are you telling me you don't know someone who has been disowned by their family for marrying from the wrong tribe, religion or social class? These people left the comfort of the familiar and trudged on because they chose to do it. You have to remember that she made a decision, she knew what she was getting into. . .none of this was thrust upon her all of a sudden and her adapting quickly to is cause for celebration.

I mean seriously what are we raising our hands in the air and hallelujahing here -

That a white woman married a Nigeria? Ooookay, what is so godawful about Nigerians that makes a white woman marrying into our national family and *gasps* living in Nigeria a big deal?

My not living in Nigeria shouldn't be a measure of how great or not so great Nigeria is because it is based on a personal decision. . .just like her decision to live in Nigeria and marry a Nigerian. If it was a case of. . .say, one day while she was sleeping on her goose feathered bed in America, she was suddenly kidnapped and she woke up to find herself in a place she knew nothing about and married to a man she had never met. . .yet managed to cope, I would understand the need for this self congratulatory piece.
My dear you have summarised it. In fact a lot of us who are quick to shout racism are the same ones who will never allow their child evcen play with a member of another religion, refuse their children marrying from other tribes, I am even taking it far, what about CatholicL Anglican, Living faith vs ECWA, we are quick to react when whites do it but we do worse to each other.

1 Like

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by coogar: 5:25pm On Sep 01, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
Dude come now!!

she wouldn't have known what awaited her in nigeria though - yes, she made the decision herself but credits should be given to her for making that decision. i have seen people who have been disowned by their family cos they married into the wrong religion, social class, etc but guess what - i gave them their credits too....that i have seen it before does not remove the appreciation of what they have done!

the same nigerian men you cabals pillory at any given opportunity on this same section? there's plenty of wahala when marrying a nigerian? a cursory glance at some of the comments here would tell you why. if you are born finnish n you happen to stumble on this forum to read some of the tales here, would you do a nigerian man? answers on a postcard, please!!!

My not living in Nigeria shouldn't be a measure of how great or not so great Nigeria is because it is based on a personal decision. . .just like her decision to live in Nigeria and marry a Nigerian...

really?

If it was a case of. . .say, one day while she was sleeping on her goose feathered bed in America, she was suddenly kidnapped and she woke up to find herself in a place she knew nothing about and married to a man she had never met. . .yet managed to cope, I would understand the need for this self congratulatory piece.

self-congratulatory? she just posted her story......some nigerians read it and appreciated what she's done. according to her, a friend saw it and sent it to lindaikeji and the story went viral. nigerians are unique - they always love the fact that a foreigner wants to adapt to the culture and marry one of their kinds.....there's a titilayo white chic who has become a celeb on the back of speaking yoruba fluently.....her youtube views in total is about 100,000....you cannot tell me she's the first caucasian female to speak yoruba or any other language - she's now a celeb on the back of that tiny achievement!

1 Like

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 5:32pm On Sep 01, 2012
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by SisiKill1: 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2012

the same nigerian men you cabals pillory at any given opportunity on this same section? there's plenty of wahala when marrying a nigerian? a cursory glance at some of the comments here would tell you why. if you are born finnish n you happen to stumble on this forum to read some of the tales here, would you do a nigerian man? answers on a postcard, please!!!

Don't get it twisted. . .this is about Nationality - I married a NIGERIAN and not sex which would have been - I married a NIGERIAN MAN.

Again, she made a CHOICE. . .if things get to hard for her, she can leave. It is not like her parents seized her passport when they disowned her. It easier to cope with something when you know you have a plan B. . .it is simple psychology. What about the other people who are "stuck" in a situation without any fall back plan? They cope. . .they live, they carry on. . .what should we do about them?!!

Fine maybe it isn't her that should be bearing the brunt of this but the sillies who think what she did is such a big deal it has to be publicized - Oh, oh, looky here. . .a white person saw us worthy enough to marry and she did. Now she lives with us in Nigeria! Yipee ki yay! Take that morrasuckers!! undecided

1 Like

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by coogar: 6:20pm On Sep 01, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
Don't get it twisted. . .this is about Nationality - I married a NIGERIAN and not sex which would have been - I married a NIGERIAN MAN.

it's the same ish....
living with a nigerian man in nigeria for 7 yrs - its very rare!!!

Again, she made a CHOICE. . .if things get to hard for her, she can leave. It is not like her parents ceased her passport when they disowned her. It easier to cope with something when you know you have a plan B. . .it is simple psychology. What about the other people who are "stuck" in a situation without any fall back plan? They cope. . .they live, they carry on. . .what should we do about them?!!

she's stuck! she's not wanted at home - where would she go?? so it's easy to cope with hardship when there's a plan b? look at the irony in your statement. if the other option is easier than plan a, it wouldn't be a plan b!! who would deliberately suffer herself when there is a better option? she's been married for 12 yrs - how many marriages even survive 3 yrs in naija in this day and age?

Fine maybe it isn't her that should be bearing the brunt of this but the sillies who think what she did is such a big deal it has to be publicized - Oh, oh, looky here. . .a white person saw us worthy enough to married one of us and live among us! Yipee ki yay! Take that morrasuckers!! undecided

sisi, make i hear word.....until you marry a congolese and stay in congo for 7 yrs, you shouldn't knock down this mean feat. life of mosquitoes, violence, political instability, etc and you think it's easy for an oyibo woman to survive that?
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 6:24pm On Sep 01, 2012
That woman is at least 25 and most 18 year-olds already moved out of home and living on their own far away from mom and dad . . . heck some never go back. America is a huge country. How can be stuck . . . and have nowhere to go at that age? Did America DENY HER too??

2 Likes

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by MrsChima(f): 6:24pm On Sep 01, 2012
Wait Sisi!!

She married a man straight from the internet No wonder....

1 Like

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by MrsChima(f): 6:34pm On Sep 01, 2012
Kobojunkie: That woman is at least 25 and most 18 year-olds already moved out of home and living on their own far away from mom and dad . . . heck some never go back. America is a huge country. How can be stuck . . . and have nowhere to go at that age? Did America DENY HER too??

How old did she married cos 12 years means she was 13 if she is 25.

Something is not adding up here.

1 Like

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by SisiKill1: 6:38pm On Sep 01, 2012
she's stuck! she's not wanted at home - where would she go?? so it's easy to cope with hardship when there's a plan b? look at the irony in your statement. if the other option is easier than plan a, it wouldn't be a plan b!! who would deliberately suffer herself when there is a better option?

Stuck? I think the misunderstanding here stems from the fact that you think she has to be suffering because she is living in Nigeria, She doesn't think so or she won't still be there.

She lives in Nigeria with hubby because she loves him (Plan A) however if things get too hard for or they have a falling out . . .she has the option of coming back to the US (Plan B).

Since she is still there, one can conclude that everything is honky dory which it means at the MOMENT Plan A (living with the man she loves) is not as difficult as Plan B (coming to the US without the man she loves)

The circumstances at the moment a decision is made determines how it is made.

she's been married for 12 yrs - how many marriages even survive 3 yrs in naija in this day and age?

Whaaaaaa the whaaaaaaaaaaaaa shocked shocked

Aiight, that's it. . . I'm out!! cheesy cheesy
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by shaybebaby(f): 6:40pm On Sep 01, 2012
I'd say stop slating the woman. Her situation isn't unique but doesn't mean the challenges she faces, faced are any less important. If other's haven't spoken about their experiences before, that's their choice just like she has the choice to speak out about hers. It matters to her, not because she is white but because it's her life story. A lot of people write about their experiences and it's not for us to slag em off saying we don't want to know. By telling hers, maybe other people in or about to enter interracial marriages can learn from her experiences because she seems to be doing something right in coping so far with the challenges such marriages bring.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 6:41pm On Sep 01, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

How old did she married cos 12 years means she was 13 if she is 25.

Something is not adding up here.

I said at least 25 cause I am not sure of any of the claims she has made, including the one about her being married to this man for the last 12 years. It could be that much of the story is a lie who knows. . . . the only thing I can say is that she looks at least 25.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by MrsChima(f): 6:42pm On Sep 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I said at least 25 cause I am not sure of any of the claims she has made, including the one about her being married to this man for the last 12 years. It could be that much of the story is a lie who knows. . . . the only thing I can say is that she looks at least 25.

Ok. Something is still off but whatever this is chat.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by MrsChima(f): 6:47pm On Sep 01, 2012
shaybe baby: I'd say stop slating the woman. Her situation isn't unique but doesn't mean the challenges she faces, faced are any less important. If other's haven't spoken about their experiences before, that's their choice just like she has the choice to speak out about hers. It matters to her, not because she is white but because it's her life story. A lot of people write about their experiences and it's not for us to slag em off saying we don't want to know. By telling hers, maybe other people in or about to enter interracial marriages can learn from her experiences because she seems to be doing something right in coping so far with the challenges such marriages bring.

She isnt the only one and that was the point. She is no different. Marriage with a white person is no different than marriage with a black perskn. Nothing new...
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by SisiKill1: 7:01pm On Sep 01, 2012
Mrs Chima, Kobo is saying that on the average, by 18yrs old many Americans are out of the house, living far away from mommy and daddy. So applauding this woman (who is obviously older than 18yrs old) for staying with the man she obviously loves and living a life she's obviously content with and implying she would be worse off than any other person if things go south between her and her husband. . .God forbid (before they say na bad belle tongue)since she has no where to go because her parents disowned her. . .is plain silly.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by shaybebaby(f): 7:02pm On Sep 01, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

She isnt the only one and that was the point. She is no different. Marriage with a white person is no different than marriage with a black perskn. Nothing new...

I'd say it is, different set of challenges. Yeah she isn't the only one and there'll be many after her as well. If those in such marriages speak about the challenges they face, those who are about to enter into such can find what is relevant to them and what isn't. Even Jallow admits that there are issues faced in interracial marriages.

From your posts, I gather you are married to a nigerian fella too, would I be wrong to assume that you might have faced issues because of the cultural difference? If so, you could tell your story too( if you comfortable sharing with others) and people in similar situation might draw something positive from you as well.
Because she isn't the only one is precisely why it's okay she speaks about her experiences.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 7:13pm On Sep 01, 2012
Oh yeah!! Issues faced by interracial couples(which happen more frequently now than ever) are now to be considered worse than inter-tribal relationships, and inter-religion marriages, which happen on a regular basis .. . . great . . . let's keep moving the bar . . . hope we get tired of this practice soon cause it ain't getting people nowhere. I just hope we don't start giving out annual awards to these couples soon . . . nothing is impossible when Nigerians are involved. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by queensmith: 7:16pm On Sep 01, 2012
the photo is too damn cute! but i agree with mrs chima, i think the girl has a complex, and how is she surviving in jos are there plenty of white people there? can anyone confirm if the story is true? i cannot imagine a oyibo living in my state. . . .he will become a tourist attraction. . . .not have a single day of peace! lol
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by queensmith: 7:19pm On Sep 01, 2012
Kobojunkie: Oh yeah!! Issues faced by interracial couples(which happen more frequently now than ever) are now to be considered worse than inter-tribal relationships, and inter-religion marriages, which happen on a regular basis .. . . great . . . let's keep moving the bar . . . hope we get tired of this practice soon cause it ain't getting people nowhere. I just hope we don't start giving out annual awards to these couples soon . . . nothing is impossible when Nigerians are involved. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I swear to god, in fact if you go on youtube you will see some nonsense women with their 'boyfriend tag' 'husband tag' and all sorts of nonsense. i seriously don't get it!
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by LFJ: 8:17pm On Sep 01, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
She isnt the first nor will be the last person to marry or date outside her nationality. People been mixing centuries before her. What make her any different??.

Why do some people make splashes as if they were the first person to say, "hey look at me, I did it!!"

If she is happy she shouldn't worry about what other people say and shouldn't waste her time forcing others to accept her views. We all have a free will on how we would live our lives.

Is there anything wrong with sharing your own story? There are millions of people who are making it by telling their story, if she think that her story deserve to be share, I don't think it should generatate any negative response especially from god mother of nairalnad family and romance sections.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help! His Wife Is Tormenting Him. / Have You Ever Lost Everything You Worked For? / How Do One Get The Husband To Pay For His Children's Welfare After Seperation.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.